Take any one player at his peak from our past and put him in this team, who do you choose?

Well...

• Total voters

Semigoodlookin

I think Keane is the best midfielder of the last 30 years for United, yes even better than Scholes. However, I don't think he would change much in this team other than perhaps raising the standards. More likely he would alienate himself from the toxic dressing room and be out. I would have prime Rooney or Ronaldo, both capable of changing and winning games in a moment. But the real answer is any one player from the past would simply fail with this team because football is a team sport. It would be interesting to see an all-time great toiling in this shite, though.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Keane would probably be dissaster of gargantuan proportions if brought back, doubt he'll take well to such a squad.

Someone who won't be affected by the atmosphere surrounding him and just drops his head and plays his football will be a better choice so no Keane no Ronaldo etc etc.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Keane would probably be dissaster of gargantuan proportions if brought back, doubt he'll take well to such a squad.

Someone who won't be affected by the atmosphere surrounding him and just drops his head and plays his football will be a better choice so no Keane no Ronaldo etc etc.
Carrick, Giggs, Irwin, Robson, Stam, Vidic... all would fit this criteria. They seem like the type that would stick around a while whereas talents like Beckham, Keane, Rio, Rooney, et al would be off to Real after 2-3 years of this nonsense. Scholes might be 50/50 in this scenario.

Lost bear

One player is not enough. So: Keane, RVP and George Best, please, the latter just to add a bit of magic and get us off our overused seats.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Carrick, Giggs, Irwin, Robson, Stam, Vidic... all would fit this criteria. They seem like the type that would stick around a while whereas talents like Beckham, Keane, Rio, Rooney, et al would be off to Real after 2-3 years of this nonsense. Scholes might be 50/50 in this scenario.
I'm specially partial to irwin and Robson, both world class and shouldn't affected by what's going around them, in fact for the latter we can be sure of that.

statpadder

Anyone who picks someone other than Scholes really has no idea where we are lacking. i.e controlling the game and tempo

foolsgold

Based on my 40 years watching the team, it's a choice between Keane and Robson.

It's difficult but on balance I'd just go for Robson based on his experience of lifting the team in tough times. Keane was surrounded by class players all through his career.

stoinz

I think either Giggs who can solve our left wing or central midfield issue or Keane to bring some bite in our midfield and kick our players into shape. But with Keane, I'm not sure how our current generation of players will respond to him.

Strelok

I think Keane is the best midfielder of the last 30 years for United, yes even better than Scholes. However, I don't think he would change much in this team other than perhaps raising the standards. More likely he would alienate himself from the toxic dressing room and be out. I would have prime Rooney or Ronaldo, both capable of changing and winning games in a moment. But the real answer is any one player from the past would simply fail with this team because football is a team sport. It would be interesting to see an all-time great toiling in this shite, though.
Keane is not a quitter just look at what Martinez brought to our defense last season you'd see how much mentally a player like Keane could bring to this team. And Rooney might stay but I'm pretty sure prime Ronaldo could feck off to Madrid again in the very first transfer window.

El Jefe

I don't get how Ronaldo isn't the most voted answer or Best for those who saw him.

Our attack is awful and we only have one available right sided attacker who just happens to be awful. Ronaldo would ensure we have one of the best attacks by himself, I don't think any of the midfielders have that impact tbh.

The attention that he would command would open up space for Rashford and Hojlund in a way they wouldn't believe.

He'd be a threat on corners and free kicks, both things we currently lack and we'd be the best counterattacking side in the league too.

Ronaldo transforms this side more than any player IMO.

mu4c_20le

I think Case at his best last season was a glimpse of what Keane would give us. Dominating the midfield, taking games by the scruff, passing, clutch goals. I love Keano but he isn't going to make people like Antony score a ton of goals. So it's got to be Ronaldo or Rooney for the impact we need.

USREDEVIL

I don't get how Ronaldo isn't the most voted answer or Best for those who saw him.

Our attack is awful and we only have one available right sided attacker who just happens to be awful. Ronaldo would ensure we have one of the best attacks by himself, I don't think any of the midfielders have that impact tbh.

The attention that he would command would open up space for Rashford and Hojlund in a way they wouldn't believe.

He'd be a threat on corners and free kicks, both things we currently lack and we'd be the best counterattacking side in the league too.

Ronaldo transforms this side more than any player IMO.
Would he be getting enough service though? I know he can take men on, so there's that. But our midfield is currently shit.

RedStarUnited

Would he be getting enough service though? I know he can take men on, so there's that. But our midfield is currently shit.
Peak Ronaldo would score regardless of service. Look how many scoring/shooting situations Rashford creates and doesnt finish.

Tiber

Alex Ferguson. Half decent striker, cant score any less league goals than the current lot. Then he can manage us for another glorious few decades

El Jefe

Ronaldo can score in so many ways, service has never been an issue for him, even with some creativity deficient Portugal teams at certain points.

You give him the ball on the half way line and he makes things happen for himself, if he has to feed on scraps, he'll be the first to a loose ball in the box. Even his ability to commit defenders and win penalties. Just put the ball in and around the box and Ronaldo scores.

Casemiro, Eriksen and Bruno in midfield and add in Shaw's crossing and that's more than enough service for Ronaldo to score for fun.

Tarrou

Keano absolutely no doubt in my mind

we need a controller, an enforcer, a leader on and off the pitch

someone to lift the standards and not accept any mediocrity and fannying about

Ballache

Supports
Martial
We need a lot of players but I chose Paul Scholes.
We look better with 33 year old Eriksen in midfield because he brings more football to the side, now replace him with prime Scholes.
We'd still be off the top because we need more but I would always start with the midfield.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
George Best would be unstoppable on today's pitches with the protection afforded by today's refs. He was unbelievable on the mud patches and ploughed fields of the 60's and 70 's when he was getting kicked to pieces. Imagine him nowadays

BelfastRed2021

My head says cantona for his flair but van nistelrooy for me he'd put away all the chances we are failing to he was so reliable

Overhaul FC

I think Ronaldo, Beckham, Scholes, Stam and Van Nistelrooy bring the most when you factor in our current squad and where the weaknesses are.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Ronaldo would probably win us game single handedly
EDIT: Has to be Keane, given the drive and leadership this team lacks. We never replaced him directly, even if that 07-08 midfield was quality.
Scholes, Ferdinand, Ruud, and 2007-09 Ronaldo for dragging us to so many wins singlehandedly all highly acceptable alternatives.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We lack creativity so my thinking was why not go for the Best

I can see the arguments for a midfielder and I did initially consider scholes but I think one of our biggest issues is that we don’t create enough chances and our wide players don’t cut it hence my choice

the great thing about Best is that he would adapt to the modern game easily as he could play both sides or down the middle as a striker or support striker. Or wide Forward. Plus he would bring a bit of excitement and positivity back to the fanbase
Just keep him away from the booze

Last edited:

Rojofiam

Voted Scholes since the team badly needs a ball-carrier #8 to play in a 3 with Bruno and Casemiro/Amrabat.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Bryan Robson seems like a logical choice — he’s the best suited player to sort out the mess we’re in, Roy of the Rovers style. Potential injuries may be the only concern.

Charlton, Best, Law & Cristiano (the latter less so purely because of the (un)likeability) are all very tempting since they’re the best players available. Cantona doesn’t really fit in well tactically but he has a proven record of inspiring a new generation of winners.

Keano is close to Robson and it’s not surprising to see that he’s mentioned the most — we desperately need a leader and we barely have any competent central midfielders. It’s just that Robbo also gives you goals — Keane is probably better for a well-functioning team and Robson for a struggling one, even though you can’t go wrong with either of them.

Keane by some distance. He could do everything to a high standard and was controlling games and dictating tempo long before Scholes made it cool. Exactly what we are missing. Then there's the standards he would enforce...

Zlatattack

You look through that list and you think how did we go from a list of legends, to this craic of shit.

I voted Keano, but Cantona would be a good shout too, or big Pete. Anyone who'd pummel in the faces of these little whiny losers.

simplyared

Because we're in such a state I'd choose Rooney. Peak Rooney's contribution to the team was invaluable. Remember him and RvP! Rooney/Bruno/Rashford and the rest can f*** off