Take any one player at his peak from our past and put him in this team, who do you choose?

Well...

• Total voters

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Roy Keane is the obvious one but to be honest he admits himself that he benefitted from coming into an established side with already high standards. If he was parachuted into the current sh&tshow it would just end up like Saipan mark2. I voted for Bryan Robson as he was used to being an outstanding player surrounded by bluffers and would probably be more adept at dealing with the current situation.
good post

Trim90

Either prime Rooney to bolster the attack or Carrick to FINALLY have someone that can control the midfield

Reactions: berbatrick

Lee565

Cantona, the guy was an influential leader on the pitch and great mentor for the young players, plus he had form for scoring when it mattered and not just against the small trams, we could also do with his fight, arrogance and larger than life aura on the pitch

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Roy Keane all day every day. Captain in every sense of the word, no pedestrians in Roys team

dave1956

Duncan Edwards, he played in every position including goal keeper. A leader with a work ethic second to none and proven international who represented England from school boy level through to the senior team. A player that Sir Bobby said was the finest player he ever played with and considering the players he played alongside is some endoresment.

TomD

From watching United from the late 70's to date it has to be Keane. He was the total package & his influence on his team mates was immense. I didn't feel we would loose with him playing. Best, Law, Charlton & Edwards were before my time so I can't comment.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Do you only watch the SPL?
Mainly, but hand on my heart andy goram is the best goalkeeper ever in any league in any era, absolute despised him and as a person would be the total opposite but honestly what a goalkeeper, to this day I still don’t know he saved the volley off big Pierre.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Gone with George Best with much deliberation as my answer kept changing. Ran through: Charlton, Robson, Keane, Law, RVN, Ronaldo and Cantona, but went with Best because he needs the least to thrive consistently whilst not only being a match-winner, but also someone who can attract two's and three's to him, leaving others in acres of space. Can also play anywhere you want across the attack - we have no RW and are struggling at both CF and LW - Best makes any of the positions potent and wherever you put him, creates all the space in the world for others to run into. Best doesn't need supply or slick play or even functional play around him, just the ball, and he's golden. Our team is moments supreme, so I think going for the biggest moments player is apt. All of the others are cut from a cloth where they don't need others to thrive, but Best is the definition of 'give him the ball and watch him go,' which also includes runs from deep.

I can see the logic behind Keane being the frontrunner, but his real thing is getting the optimal level out of a team, and I don't think our optimal level goes that high to be worth it over a forward who thrives in pressure cooker, all-by-myself scenarios. Best would be the Maradona of the team, for me, with the more pressure heaped on, the bigger the performance. I also think his graft serves as an inspiration for others, as getting stuck in and working really hard for the team was also a revered part of his game.

I initially thought I'd go for a central player, but not only do we need goals, our wide threat is diabolical.
Keane has been my default answer to this question for over 15 years now, but a genuinely great dribbler like Best or Giggs would indeed be a dream addition.

RuudTom83

Scholes or Keane were my choices…went with Scholes, just because the box to box midfielder isn’t really a role you see that much today.

JediSith

Was going to vote Ronaldo, but voted for George Best. I think in this modern era he’d be the closest thing to Messi, he’d score goals, create assists and be a joy to watch.

Widow

Ronaldo. He was at his best at United while I was in my 20s. What a player to watch even in his tender years. Keane would be a good choice but there's only so much he could have done, Ronaldo could win games on his own.

Møllemanden

I would love to see a Roy Keane in our team right now. But, him yelling and telling truths wouldn't make our current crop of players any better. I choose prime Ronaldo.

MrEleson

Put Ronaldo of 06-09 in place of Rashford on the LW and we win numerous games from his sheer brilliance alone.

Heck, put him in place of Antony on the RW and you have the same outcome as he was more accustomed to playing from that side back then.

He would also inspire/demand a lot from the current lot and lead by example.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It was a straight toss up for me between Keane and Cantona. It’s not just a question of quality. Every player on the list is fecking brilliant. It’s a question of personality and leadership. Both players are the standout candidates for leading a team around them to greatness. Of raising performances and belief across the whole team. And that is what this team needs. A cult of personality. A never say die attitude. A fearsome competitor who plays for the whole rather than the individual. In the end I had to go with Keane.

owlo

Nani at his peak was absolutely ridiculous. Was always consistency for him, never talent. That said peak probably means over a season or so, in which case you'd have to say Ronaldo or Rooney - Gotta be somebody who can both create and score from nothing and do well in this absolute wreck of a 'team'

Baneofthegame

It was a straight toss up for me between Keane and Cantona. It’s not just a question of quality. Every player on the list is fecking brilliant. It’s a question of personality and leadership. Both players are the standout candidates for leading a team around them to greatness. Of raising performances and belief across the whole team. And that is what this team needs. A cult of personality. A never say die attitude. A fearsome competitor who plays for the whole rather than the individual. In the end I had to go with Keane.
Keane might murder the majority of our squad.

El Jefe

He's not the tooth fairy. Keane was a fantastic player, but the hyperbole when describing him is getting out of hand. The current squad needs goals and Keane or anyone else yelling at underperformers wouldn't mean a thing.
Keane was a great player but you're right some of the influence people are putting on Keane is entering mythical territory. We were a successful team before and after Keane but reading some comments you'd think he dragged us from no marks to winning the treble. It's hardly like he was in a Robbo situation where he was leading a squad of players a level below him, Keane played with world class or near enough to world class players.

Bringing him into our side will add control more than anything as he was a great midfielder. The leadership part won't be as easy when he's playing with players who aren't that great. We saw how he left the club when he criticised players who he felt were below United standard. He'd lose his mind playing with Antony or seeing Bruno rolling around while losing the ball or Onana gifting goals. There's a limit to how much he can control the performance of other players. He isn't a miracle worker.

Ronaldo or Best would be the ones to transform the team the most. Our attack is pitiful and these two could score and create for themselves and others. The worst part of our team would instantly become one of the strongest in the league.

Red71

Some great shouts in here and as much as I’d love to see Keano, it’d have to be Robbo for me. Had that world class ability in the middle of the park and exceptional leadership, which could be carrot or stick. He would be well placed to stitch the two halves of our team together as he was great in either box but as others have said, he was also able to play with middling or inexperienced players and make them perform so much better which would be crucial in this team. He almost dragged ordinary joes along with his sheer force of will…

Red Royal

Bryan Robson for me... the first United legend I saw live. Definitely would improve standards as Captain Marvel

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Between Ronaldo and Rooney for me I think - the goals of Ronaldo in his prime would be such a huge change, but his time under EtH makes me reluctant to choose him (though young Ronaldo was obviously a different personality than what EtH had to deal with).

Rooney brings fewer goals but his attitude would more than make-up for that in terms of this current team.

Alemar

Games are won and lost in midfield. So if it’s only one player, Roy Keane without a doubt.