Takefusa Kubo

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
A few points:

1. Don't we want to play more like City, Barca, Real and Liverpool? I know that there are differences between these teams, but they have a lot in common too. Signing players who are only useful on the counter seems... Counter-productive? :D

2. I don't think Kubo is ineffective on the counter. His speed and dribbling (especially the latter) looks more than good enough to me.

3. I don't agree with you on Bruno, but I don't want to go there.

4. Rashford should gradually be moved out of the starting XI. It may already have begun.

I think something like this could work next season:

....................... Onana .....................
Dalot* - New CB - Martinez - Shaw
............ Mainoo - New CM** ..........
........ Kubo - Bruno - New LW .........
...................... Højlund* ..................

* temporary/deserves another season
** must be someone experienced, but not older than 26

It's a bit hopeful to get 4 new starters so we might have to continue with Rashford/Garnacho, but I think this team is capable of playing "modern" football if we sign the right CM to play next to Mainoo and Martinez manages to stay away from injuries.
Regarding point one, I would personally agree with you, but it would take a full commitment to doing so. So if signing Kubo was a part of a strategy to change the way we play, then I would support it, however, if he were simply signed to fit into out existing set up, which is often the case with us - I am less optimistic.

Point two, I don’t think he has the power to look as good as he currently does in the PL. He would be closer to Antony and Sancho I think, although as I said, this could be circumvented if he were to join a team where he was not reliant upon speed and power to be a top winger. Currently, that team is not us.

Point three, fair enough, all opinions - however, I think Bruno’s game is suited to releasing fast runners into space within his first or second touch, as opposed to passing and moving over short distances. A more athletic player than Kubo would be best suited to Bruno’s strengths I believe.

I’m inclined to agree with point 4. Although I must say that I don’t have a problem with the profile of player Rashford is. I just have a problem with the fact that every one in two seasons he takes the whole year off and performs poorly. As much as I am a fan of pass and move, teams need to have penetration - and at his best, Rashford offers a threat in behind and a goal threat at the highest level and against the best of teams. If he played as he did last season every year, I’s be more than happy with him. We need one of these wide forwards to be a 20 goal player ideally. The problem with Rashford isn’t his profile, it is his form.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's a player I could see torment a PL side in europe but when brought to the PL he's another Antony. Relies too heavily on his dribbling which i'm not sure would translate enough in the PL
I wish Antony was reliant on his dribbling but he’s bad at that too.

I get where you’re coming from. Even if he’s a more refined proper version of Antony I get those same vibes from his compilations. lWe need wingers with a real burst over the first few yards and also with the physicality to hold off intense pressure. Players like Antony and Memphis were happy in other leagues given more time and space but couldn’t deal with the lack of time to breathe in the PL.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Antony was never quite so reliant on his dribbling, though it was a big part of his game at Ajax and you've seen the result in the PL. Same story with Sancho

Kubo has real burst and agility which the other 2 lack, so he might adapt better, but i'm not convinced he could be great in england. Especially not in a team like United. @Rozay is correct when they say he's not a 30 yards player - especially in the PL

Thiagoal

Yeah- I’m getting Sancho vibes from him. I think the Prem would be too fast and aggressive for him to really shine.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Yeah- I’m getting Sancho vibes from him. I think the Prem would be too fast and aggressive for him to really shine.
Sancho would have no issue with the PL if he was dedicated and played in a team that suited him.

Bondi77

Sancho would have no issue with the PL if he was dedicated and played in a team that suited him.
He does not have the intensity in his game to be successful in the EPL and would be found out in any team.
Any fullback in the EPL would be licking their lips at the prospect of facing him.

El-Manos

He does not have the intensity in his game to be successful in the EPL and would be found out in any team.
Any fullback in the EPL would be licking their lips at the prospect of facing him.
Really? He doesn’t do it for my missus thankfully

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Sancho could be a top player for City. At City, your nearest teammate is always 5/10 yards away from you at most. They compress their game and play a short game. He could definitely thrive in such an environment. Doku is the only winger they have that can thrive at United. Bernardo, Foden and Grealish would all be poor here because our team play is so far behind. Our wingers have to do so much themselves, and the closest and easiest pass for them is usually to turn back and give it back to the full back, which is usually the same guy that gave it to them in the first place!

Bondi77

Sancho could be a top player for City. At City, your nearest teammate is always 5/10 yards away from you at most. They compress their game and play a short game. He could definitely thrive in such an environment. Doku is the only winger they have that can thrive at United. Bernardo, Foden and Grealish would all be poor here because our team play is so far behind. Our wingers have to do so much themselves, and the closest and easiest pass for them is usually to turn back and give it back to the full back, which is usually the same guy that gave it to them in the first place!
Maybe Pep might take him off our hands in January then?? :lol: :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
City signed Grealish from Villa where he was mini-Hazard. He'd be fine at United. In fact, possibly better than he is for City. Bernardo is talented and multifaceted enough, plus his dribbling works fine in PL. Foden I have more doubts

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
City signed Grealish from Villa where he was mini-Hazard. He'd be fine at United. In fact, possibly better than he is for City. Bernardo is talented and multifaceted enough, plus his dribbling works fine in PL. Foden I have more doubts
They were not superior to Sancho at Dortmund. They would do well here as 10s, not as well as wingers. Similar to Mata.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They were not superior to Sancho at Dortmund. They would do well here as 10s, not as well as wingers. Similar to Mata.
Not sure. Bernardo I'd say was always more likely to succeed anyways, just too good in too many ways and at too many things. Graelish, while he may not have been as good for Villa as Sancho was for Dortmund(not sure about this) is also very much a long transitions player, he had to learn how to play the short game of City. In that sense he was obviously much better suited to United than Sancho

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Signed a new contract until 2029 so he will be more expensive now.

He also sang his own anime theme in Basque :lol: This is even better than Sanchez' piano playing.

Last edited: