Taking Rafael off

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Welbeck was out wide left looking to get in behind. He didn't need to do it he just chose to, and that attitude's generally what makes us love him, but it does have its downsides and the simple fact is Oxlade-Chamberlain wouldn't have been free if he didn't leave his position.
Exactly Rafael's job is primarily to defend but in the end Valencia had to do the defending to cover for Rafael and it gave Arsenal tons of space at that flank. Full backs pushing forward like he did if it is a draw or United trailing a game is perfectly fine just seemed a very rash decision by him at the time.

Justin

saf brought Park on because 1) rafael was on a yellow 2) to add energy to a midfield, consisting of giggs and scholes. 3) Because he is a tactical genius
And to prove our Park is better than theirs

I'm always right

Exactly Rafael's job is primarily to defend but in the end Valencia had to do the defending to cover for Rafael and it gave Arsenal tons of space at that flank. Full backs pushing forward like he did if it is a draw or United trailing a game is perfectly fine just seemed a very rash decision by him at the time.
Lack of understanding here.

If Valencia fills in like he should then it's no problem, Valencia reacted too late. As I said earlier, SAF and Rooney would've gone mental had he passed up a goal scoring opportunity with 20 minutes remaining on the clock.

Fletcher's Jilted Lover

He's the man!
With 20 minutes so go I absolutely don't expect a defender to pass up the chance of joining a counter attack, it's way too early for that. With five minutes to go, maybe, but not so early.

I don't fault Rafael for the goal in any way.
nah, once we go a goal up we should have 10 men stay around our own penalty area. Lynk will be happy then.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Both SAF and Rooney would've gone absolutely mental had he not supported Rooney there, make no mistake about that.

Anyone who understands the game should realize that Valencia should've simply covered for him, and he was too late doing that.
I don't agree, people perceive the game differently...Sir Alex would've wanted him to do that, Mourinho wouldn't. That doesn't mean Mourinho doesn't understand football it just means he sees the game differently, asks different things of his players. Once Rafael went up Valencia should've covered, that goes without saying, but there's no right answer to whether Rafael should've gone up, it just depends on the individual.

Or I don't understand the game. Always nice to hear.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It was a great counter attacking opportunity with Rafael, who started it, at full throttle against a defense that weren't ready for it. Of course he should have gone for it. When he lost the ball we had everyone but him behind the ball. When the pass came forward from Koscielny we had 7 outfield players in our own half.

It was not good enough defending from Smalling and Jones and Valencia, Carrick and Giggs were totally absent.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
It was a great counter attacking opportunity with Rafael, who started it, at full throttle against a defense that weren't ready for it. Of course he should have gone for it. When he lost the ball we had everyone but him behind the ball. When the pass came forward from Koscielny we had 7 outfield players in our own half.

It was not good enough defending from Smalling and Jones and Valencia, Carrick and Giggs were totally absent.
Harsh on Jones. Not sure what he could have done from his stretcher to prevent it

MalteseRedDevil

Rafael was at fault for the goal.
rafael is at fault for almost getting into a great goal scoring position on the counter???

Fergie said he took him off cause of his history with dean and the fact that he was on a yellow.

forevrared

You guys, I'm sure at this point Lynk is well aware how awful an assessment he made... but another 5-10 quotes telling him so probably wouldn't be uncalled for.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Harsh on Jones. Not sure what he could have done from his stretcher to prevent it
Have a tougher ankle. Move like a normal human being and not walk on it!

Seriously don't remember writing Jones instead of Evans. Weird that.

I'm always right

I don't agree, people perceive the game differently...Sir Alex would've wanted him to do that, Mourinho wouldn't.
Mourinho would've certainly wanted Maicon at Inter or Marcelo now to do exactly what Rafael did.

We had plenty of cover, and that is what is key. I can't imagine any manager would want a player to just stop in that situation.

zub2007

Fergie said it was due to the yellow card. Would not blame him for arsenals goal. Rooney should of played the ball earlier

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
We attacked with three players in a great counter-attacking opportunity. We had 7 outfield players back to defend when Rafael lost the ball inside Arsenals box.

If anything, what went wrong in that attack was Rooney's choice of pass. He should have played in Welbeck.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Cant fault Rafael for the goal, but it annoys me that he stays down looking pissed instead of running back as soon as the attack was over.

Probably went off because of the yellow. Valencia can do a perfectly fine job at RB so there was no point risking a sending off.

Devil may care

I thought he was unlucky to come off as he played well IMO, the reason could have been tactical or it was the worry his unfortunate rashness might lead to a red, however putting Park on and pushing Valencia out of position as opposed to just putting Fabio on suggests it was tactical.

The only thing I'd fault him with in the goal was he wasted time punching thew floor instead of getting straight up and chasing back, but it's unlikely he could have affected anything.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I love how people say Fergie is a poor tactical manager, as well. This shows that he's clearly not.

Sir A1ex

At the time I thought it looked disastrous... within minutes of them equalising, we lost our two wingers, who had terrorised their shit full-backs all match. I was resigned to the draw at that point.

AttackingFlair

Rafael had to make that run, if there was no run to Rooney's right then the pass to Welbeck would've been obvious. We really should've made more of that chance.

LLMU

whatever. he put in a 60 minutes shift and with a full 90 last week, we will get a fitter rafael in our run in.

Brophs

The One and Only
He has to stop picking up cheap yellow cards. You just can't half expect one of your full backs to need to be subbed almost every other time he plays.

Hitchcocker

the only genius thing about the substitution is that Fergie is smart enough to realise that Rafael is a bit thick at times and would have been a booking waiting to happen.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Rafael was at fault for the goal.

I agree.

Being a defender playing so far up the pitch, he should have either make it count (score a goal) or just balloon it out of play, i.e. dont try to dribble/keep possession too much. And then run back as quickly as he can. Oxlade-C was on fire and he shouldnt have abandoned his position at that moment.

kiristao

I agree.

Being a defender playing so far up the pitch, he should have either make it count (score a goal) or just balloon it out of play, i.e. dont try to dribble/keep possession too much. And then run back as quickly as he can. Oxlade-C was on fire and he shouldnt have abandoned his position at that moment.
I dont agree..
The goal was more down to a good pass by Oxlade-C to RVP and a good finish by RVP rather than a mistake by Rafael or Valencia.

The only thing Valencia could have done different is be closer to Oxlade and not let him get the cross field ball from Rosicky.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
What rubbish, trying to say he was at fault for the goal. If he'd just randomly charged up the field completely out of position with no-one available to cover for him, then yes. But on a counter-attack where he found himself one of only three players who could possibly get into an attacking position, when there were plenty of players further back who could cover for him, there's not a doubt in the world he did the right thing. Evra would have been absolutely guaranteed to do the same thing, as would any attacking fullback in the world.

I'm always right

What rubbish, trying to say he was at fault for the goal. If he'd just randomly charged up the field completely out of position with no-one available to cover for him, then yes. But on a counter-attack where he found himself one of only three players who could possibly get into an attacking position, when there were plenty of players further back who could cover for him, there's not a doubt in the world he did the right thing. Evra would have been absolutely guaranteed to do the same thing, as would any attacking fullback in the world.
I honestly don't know what some expected him to do, just ignore Rooney? That most probably would've lead to Rooney losing the ball due to lack of options and that is ridiculous considering the situation we had. A better ball from Rooney and we might have been 2 goals up.

Liam147

On Probation
Once again, great substitutions. My first thought was disappointment that Valencia was going to left back again, personally I thought Giggs (who was misplacing passes all game) should've been off for Scholes, straight swap.

What do I know though eh.

CantonaVeron

Rafeal was brilliant today and deserved to stay on really on play alone but there is always that lingering doubt that we might have to bring him off injured or he'll fly into a bad challenge. If he could just stay fit he would be the best right back in world football in a couple of years imo.

Fletcher's Jilted Lover

He's the man!
I don't like this new tactic of taking him off, and moving Valencia to right back when we're searching for a goal, especially when theres players playing worse than him on the pitch, and it makes less sense when hes been our best player

jeston

I don't like this new tactic of taking him off, and moving Valencia to right back when we're searching for a goal, especially when theres players playing worse than him on the pitch, and it makes less sense when hes been our best player
..Despite the fact we scored two goals post substitution?

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Why?

Valencia was marked well. Moving him to right back game him the space to run and ultimately led to the 3rd goal. What was wrong with that?

Vinay

Muppet in Training
Rafeal was brilliant today and deserved to stay on really on play alone but there is always that lingering doubt that we might have to bring him off injured or he'll fly into a bad challenge. If he could just stay fit he would be the best right back in world football in a couple of years imo.
Totally agree!

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
It does seem to work though.