Takumi Minamino / signs for Liverpool. Transfer 1st January

MrVolley

I can't believe we DIDN'T go for Minamino with a $7m buyout clause.. The guy is a Japanese international with 11 goals in 22 appearances. He's the jewel in the Salzburg side.

Either we didn't know about the low buyout clause or we're tracking the wrong player. Either way, it stinks.

Fosu-Mens

I can't believe we DIDN'T go for Minamino with a $7m buyout clause.. The guy is a Japanese international with 11 goals in 22 appearances. He's the jewel in the Salzburg side.

Either we didn't know about the low buyout clause or we're tracking the wrong player. Either way, it stinks.
We are.

I think my personal preference from Salzburg would be:
1. Hwang
2. Szoboszlai
3. Minamino
4. Haaland.

Nick7

Jesus christ :houllier: it really amazes me that we have so many professional scouts on this site.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Jesus christ :houllier: it really amazes me that we have so many professional scouts on this site.
Had we been in for this guy or Hwang instead of Haaland they'd start moaning about how the latter is breaking goal scoring records and that even a blind man could see his potential, while we're chasing a lesser player. It really is amazing.

Nick7

Had we been in for this guy or Hwang instead of Haaland they'd start moaning about how the latter is breaking goal scoring records and that even a blind man could see his potential, while we're chasing a lesser player. It really is amazing.
100% they would be moaning that this is Hwang's first good season at Salzburg and that we was loaned out to the 2 Bundesliga last year and that Minamino only has a 1 in 3 goalscoring record.

Renegade

100% they would be moaning that this is Hwang's first good season at Salzburg and that we was loaned out to the 2 Bundesliga last year and that Minamino only has a 1 in 3 goalscoring record.
not for 7m they wouldn’t.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
People couldn't wait to shit on Daniel James just because he was signed from Championship, he was just 15 million.

It would have been "we are signing players from fecking Austrian league" "25 in a month, still plays in farmer league, obviously not good enough"

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
People couldn't wait to shit on Daniel James just because he was signed from Championship, he was just 15 million.

It would have been "we are signing players from fecking Austrian league" "25 in a month, still plays in farmer league, obviously not good enough"
I don't see what's wrong with it to be honest. We signed Salah, Alisson and Wijnaldum when they were 25, Mane was 24, Van Dijk even was 26...

In this case, I think you can clearly see that it's a player entering his prime who is ready to take the next step in his career. They don't all need to be a teenager to be a good piece of business, if we get 3 or 4 productive years out of him for basically peanuts it will have been a good signing.

I also think James was a great piece of business by Utd.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
I don't see what's wrong with it to be honest. We signed Salah, Alisson and Wijnaldum when they were 25, Mane was 24, Van Dijk even was 26...

In this case, I think you can clearly see that it's a player entering a prime who is ready to take the next step in his career. They don't all need to be a teenager to be a good piece of business, if we get 3 or 4 productive years out of him for basically peanuts it will have been a good signing.

I also think James was a great piece of business by Utd.
I don't know too, would love to hear from people who complains about it.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet

25 wooow he has only 6-7 good years left at top peak. It’s all good having him now. But what about 2026?

Dolf

Irrelevant
How is it irrelevant? If he was truly good enough for one of the best teams in the world currently than how come he hasn't showed it until now and how come he isn't at a bigger club already?
I'm not saying he isn't a good player, i'm only saying he might just be good enough to even be on Liverpools bench.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
How is it irrelevant? If he was truly good enough for one of the best teams in the world currently than how come he hasn't showed it until now and how come he isn't at a bigger club already?
I'm not saying he isn't a good player, i'm only saying he might just be good enough to even be on Liverpools bench.
You're being ridiculous and writing him off before he has played one minute for Liverpool or in the PL. For all you know he could be a regular starter for us next season.

Dolf

You're being ridiculous and writing him off before he has played one minute for Liverpool or in the PL. For all you know he could be a regular starter for us next season.
And you say i'm being ridiculous? Come on mate.
I'm not writing him off, i'm simply being realistic.

Renegade

I don’t recall people being upset at the fact we signed an inexperienced relatively unknown in James, I think people were concerned that was all we were signing. Granted everyone has to be surprised at how well he has done and how important he has become.

roonster09

Scout
I don’t recall people being upset at the fact we signed an inexperienced relatively unknown in James, I think people were concerned that was all we were signing. Granted everyone has to be surprised at how well he has done and how important he has become.
First he was linked in the month of may and the rumors of done deal was around end of may. It was odd thing to be concerned about considering transfer window wasn't even open officially.

There are many posts in his transfer thread, just as an example check posts by Loublaze and then he was called as championship runner in mocking way.

Bestietom

He would be a good signing, but i don't know if he will get many games for Liverpool until someone is shipped out.??

Fosu-Mens

Haaland for 20m who is breaking goalscoring records is 4th on your list for a side that struggles to score?
I think that his production is extremely inflated by being the end product player in a highly functioning team that is geared towards creating chances for a poacher. Not dissimilar to how RM and Ronaldo operated. We are not a well-functioning team that creates chances or situations that would suit a poacher. We are only really able to perform on the counter and against teams that give us space to attack in.

My personal opinion is that his overall game leaves a lot to be desired for him to be able to perform for us in our current state and playstyle. If we are able to become a team that dominate most games in 2-3 years time with a number of players that can give good service, then he would be a good fit. The 3 players that are mentioned are players that would suit us better now and help our overall play.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I think that his production is extremely inflated by being the end product player in a highly functioning team that is geared towards creating chances for a poacher. Not dissimilar to how RM and Ronaldo operated. We are not a well-functioning team that creates chances or situations that would suit a poacher. We are only really able to perform on the counter and against teams that give us space to attack in.

My personal opinion is that his overall game leaves a lot to be desired for him to be able to perform for us in our current state and playstyle. If we are able to become a team that dominate most games in 2-3 years time with a number of players that can give good service, then he would be a good fit. The 3 players that are mentioned are players that would suit us better now and help our overall play.
I don’t think anyone is saying for us to only sign Haaland, but it helps having a dependable 9 that we know can function in a strong team. Haaland is that guy.

Crustanoid

The imbecility of posters saying Liverpool are messing up by making this signing. Have you not watched them operating in the transfer market in the last few years compared to ourselves?

Fosu-Mens

The imbecility of posters saying Liverpool are messing up by making this signing. Have you not watched them operating in the transfer market in the last few years compared to ourselves?
Ideal squadplayer. Stable, hard working, can do a little bit of everything, increases their reach in Japan, a potential beneficial market, play in multiple positions... For sub £10m it is a very good deal.

Who the feck has said that? Pretty much everyone has said that it seems a smart, low-risk signing for them

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Really? When we signed 'Championship player' James for £15m it was a sign we could no longer compete in the transfer market, that we were bargain basement shoppers.

You mean, 'he'll be 26 next season.'

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Feel free to point us in the direction of these imbeciles.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Hwang and Minamino are probably going to cost a fortune at this point. But, they bring the work rate we lack against lesser opposition. Some of our players could not be bothered against lower table teams.
I disagree with "could not be bothered". With Ole players have rarely been lazy, they are
just INCAPABLE of breaking down parked buses.
Not the same problem as them not even trying under Mourinho

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Where he'll hopefully score a hat trick of own goals.
:D

I'd like to go deep in the FA Cup now we don't have to play the semis of the League Cup, and games like that are great opportunities for players like Minamino. I don't expect any impact from him on our PL/CL campaign this season to be honest - if he impresses Klopp in the offseason, he might be rotated and eased in as from next season.

bsCallout

I actually disagree with the idea that we aren't creating chances for a poacher. We create endless chances for a traditional no. 9. That is pretty much all James does.

We put balls in the box non stop with no one able to attack them. Add Pogba to the mix with the sort of chances he used to create for Lukaku, and Haaland will be getting chance after chance.

Just thinking back to the lack game and the clear chances we missed early on, and the balls across that Martial was nowhere near. I guess we must watch different Manchester United teams, or you're judging the fact we aren't scoring from those chances as those chances never arising.

Fosu-Mens

I actually disagree with the idea that we aren't creating chances for a poacher. We create endless chances for a traditional no. 9. That is pretty much all James does.

We put balls in the box non stop with no one able to attack them. Add Pogba to the mix with the sort of chances he used to create for Lukaku, and Haaland will be getting chance after chance.

Just thinking back to the lack game and the clear chances we missed early on, and the balls across that Martial was nowhere near. I guess we must watch different Manchester United teams, or you're judging the fact we aren't scoring from those chances as those chances never arising.
The reason we have so few in the box is usually down to the players (Martial) drops deep to help with the passing into the final third. Given that Rashford is the only one able to get into the box, and James as the only player to put in crosses, it might be smart to fix the fundamental reason to this "illness" and not the symptoms. If we had a 10 or two central midfielders or two fullbacks that could actually pass the ball without taking extra time on the ball or almost losing it, then Martial would have been able to be in the box together with Rashford. James would have been able to put in crosses from a better position and with better time to get an overview over potential positionings in the box... Our fullbacks would have been able to contribute as well....

Our current needs are not fulfilled by Haaland... Hence me placing him 4. As a talent for a potential functioning team in the future, I have no problems buying him in addition to other players (dependent on price)...

Andersonson

You cant fail this one. If he is crap and sold he will return the money no matter what.

If he turns out ok they have a squad plater for nothing, plus great revenue from Japan.

If he turns out good its the deal of decade...

bsCallout

The reason we have so few in the box is usually down to the players (Martial) drops deep to help with the passing into the final third. Given that Rashford is the only one able to get into the box, and James as the only player to put in crosses, it might be smart to fix the fundamental reason to this "illness" and not the symptoms. If we had a 10 or two central midfielders or two fullbacks that could actually pass the ball without taking extra time on the ball or almost losing it, then Martial would have been able to be in the box together with Rashford. James would have been able to put in crosses from a better position and with better time to get an overview over potential positionings in the box... Our fullbacks would have been able to contribute as well....

Our current needs are not fulfilled by Haaland... Hence me placing him 4. As a talent for a potential functioning team in the future, I have no problems buying him in addition to other players (dependent on price)...
Let's not pretend Martial will be getting in the box. There was a clear example at the weekend when he wasn't involved in the play, James attempted to put the ball across the goal but Martial was still on the edge of the box.

You're making out that Martial is some martyr helping the team. No, his movement isn't good and he doesn't bust a gut to get in the box. By the way I actually love Martial but those are facts.

Put Pogba back in the team and Martial's current contribution(based on your opinion) is voided and a traditional no.9 would thrive attacking the box, taking the CB's away. Martial will be best playing with a traditional no.9; not in place of.

How often do you see 4 or 5 of our players all around the box with no one in it to actually score. That is Martial's job, which Ole has even said himself(score tap ins etc) and he isn't doing it.

Okey

Now that's how you sign a player. Wham, bam, thank you for your custom!

F-Red

Very good business by Liverpool, he is good on the ball and will offer a lot of creativity.