Tampa Bay vs Dallas....and Ronaldo

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Last night during the NFL opener Tampa Bay vs Dallas contained the most EPL promotions I have ever seen on an American program, all centered around Ronaldo. The announcers were hyping the return of Ronaldo. I imagine that as Tampa and Man Utd are owned by the Glazers had a lot to do with the coverage. After all the hype, they put the game on USA network, a cable channel not accessed by all. They did change it from a streaming channel Peacock, to a cable channel. I think I remember at least 4 promos with Ronaldo is his new 7 shirt and the commentators brought it up several times through out the game.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Bit harsh. I think this is interesting...

As you say it's probably the Glazer connection and them trying to increase interest in soccerball amongst a 'Murrikan audience. While it's hard to penetrate the USA market over their own sports (big shout out to the MLB), Ronaldo is a well-known player all over and he's totally marketable.

Will people be tuning in on mass to see him miss several freekicks tomorrow? Doubtful but it'll probably get a few more eager viewers.

Barthez

Thanks OP. Considering the amount of rubbish that gets posted on here, i found it was an interesting read.

Anto

It is definitely a mirror image to the transfer of tom brady for them

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I think Ronaldo opens new avenues for Man Utd, or expansion in already existing markets. The club is already the most well known here. Now that you bring back a player with the star power of Ronaldo, it can grow the coverage in markets that have a lot of potential growth.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Yeah i saw that too. It'll probably be the most watched game by the casuals this season.

RedDevil@84

After promoting Peacock and NBCSN for ages, they put the game on USA Network. What a farce!!

Mihai

Bit too much for someone who hits 35% shots on target.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
After promoting Peacock and NBCSN for ages, they put the game on USA Network. What a farce!!
As someone who has dumped money into the pit that is Peacock I feel like I should agree, but the chance to expose more people to the game on USA (in more houses than NBCSN) is a great thing.

Also, there is no chance it would be on NBC tomorrow at 9AM. It's the 20th anniversary of 9/11 and there is a memorial service from 7:30 - 10 (CT) that will likely be on every network.

NewYorkRed

Honestly I was shocked. The ads were incredibly well made too. A bunch of my friends went “hey isn’t that your team? You pumped?” I think this is great for the club. As an American, to see those ads and to hear about him being talked about during the NFL season opener is incredible. Also side note, what a game- can’t believe Dallas almost won. Happy for Dak but that last Brady drive was, well, inevitable. Hate to see him win, but he’s the goat for a reason.

Edit: if you have youtube tv then you should get USA network

Last edited:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
As a Falcons fan, I hate anything Tampa. I hate on Dallas just for the fun of it, mostly due to Jerry. I must admit it was a very entertaining game.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The game was on NBC, which owns the rights to premier league in the US. Of course they were going to promote it.

NewYorkRed

As a Falcons fan, I hate anything Tampa. I hate on Dallas just for the fun of it, mostly due to Jerry. I must admit it was a very entertaining game.
I’m a Jets fan, so I have years of hurt through Brady haha. Falcons are my surprise team this year, Pitts is going to be some player and Matty Ice still has it.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
The game was on NBC, which owns the rights to premier league in the US. Of course they were going to promote it.
They do promote EPL games, but usually with a still banner at the bottom of the screen. This was full on promotion with cut away promos. I have not seen that level of promotion and it was somewhat directed at Man Utd, but it was full on using Ronaldo's celebrity.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
They do promote EPL games, but usually with a still banner at the bottom of the screen. This was full on promotion with cut away promos. I have not seen that level of promotion and it was somewhat directed at Man Utd, but it was full on using Ronaldo's celebrity.
Yeah, as competitive as the league us, it has lacked that alpha superstar since Ronaldo left and now he's back and he's probably the face of football as Messi just moved to a backwater league.

Dante

Average bang
La Liga was overrated for an entire decade. People made out that it was a brilliant league during that period because of how many CLs they won. But, really, it was only ever the Messi and Ronaldo show.

From 2008 to 2018, either Ronaldo or Messi won 8 out of 11 Champions Leagues. Those two players were the real powerhouses of European football. Barcelona, Real Madrid and La Liga simply took most of the credit.

The Premier League, meanwhile, has been the true strongest league in Europe for ages now. From top to bottom, the teams are overall are wealthier and more packed with international talent than anywhere else on the continent. That competitiveness has obviously helped with global viewing figures. But there's always been something missing... that little sprinkle of star dust that some other leagues always had.

Ronaldo moving to United is massive moment in all of the above. For the first time ever, a PL team has bought a bona fide Ballon d'Or favourite. It also means that Manchester United now sit at the intersection between best league in Europe and best player in the world. From a marketing point of view, this is a huge deal. It doesn't surprise me that the yanks are getting moist about it. It's a watershed moment.

Trip721

It's on USA since more people have the USA Network in their home than they do NBCSN. Not everyone has Peacock, so they certainly don't want to put it there. Finally, NBC is doing a 9/11 tribute on Saturday, so it's unlikely they would preempt the remembrance for his return.

All in all, USA is the best place they can put it, to get the most viewers.

Achilles McCool

La Liga was overrated for an entire decade. People made out that it was a brilliant league during that period because of how many CLs they won. But, really, it was only ever the Messi and Ronaldo show.

From 2008 to 2018, either Ronaldo or Messi won 8 out of 11 Champions Leagues. Those two players were the real powerhouses of European football. Barcelona, Real Madrid and La Liga simply took most of the credit.

The Premier League, meanwhile, has been the true strongest league in Europe for ages now. From top to bottom, the teams are overall are wealthier and more packed with international talent than anywhere else on the continent. That competitiveness has obviously helped with global viewing figures. But there's always been something missing... that little sprinkle of star dust that some other leagues always had.

Ronaldo moving to United is massive moment in all of the above. For the first time ever, a PL team has bought a bona fide Ballon d'Or favourite. It also means that Manchester United now sit at the intersection between best league in Europe and best player in the world. From a marketing point of view, this is a huge deal. It doesn't surprise me that the yanks are getting moist about it. It's a watershed moment.
You had me until the word “moist”! Way to ruin a great post:lol:

Cloud7

I can see Ronaldo rocking up in the US permanently when he calls it a day on football. He has the potential to be around the celebrity circuit there a fair bit, and seems like something that would appeal to him.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Last night during the NFL opener Tampa Bay vs Dallas contained the most EPL promotions I have ever seen on an American program, all centered around Ronaldo. The announcers were hyping the return of Ronaldo. I imagine that as Tampa and Man Utd are owned by the Glazers had a lot to do with the coverage. After all the hype, they put the game on USA network, a cable channel not accessed by all. They did change it from a streaming channel Peacock, to a cable channel. I think I remember at least 4 promos with Ronaldo is his new 7 shirt and the commentators brought it up several times through out the game.
It was real cringe.

"Ronaldo returns to Man Utd"... It's like a circus now

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
As someone who has dumped money into the pit that is Peacock I feel like I should agree, but the chance to expose more people to the game on USA (in more houses than NBCSN) is a great thing.

Also, there is no chance it would be on NBC tomorrow at 9AM. It's the 20th anniversary of 9/11 and there is a memorial service from 7:30 - 10 (CT) that will likely be on every network.
So what's going on with PL broadcasting now? It's no longer on NBCSN?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
So what's going on with PL broadcasting now? It's no longer on NBCSN?
Depends.... Some of it is on NBCSN, but it was announced that the station was shutting down by the end of 2021 and that the games would be moving to USA and the Peacock app. So far this year Utd's games have been on Peacock twice and NBCSN once.

NBC's rights expire at the end of the year, so I am wondering if they are preparing to let them go. I can see Amazon or another streaming service go hard for the rights.

Sylar

Ronaldo to do a Brady and lead us to the promised land.