Tanker possibly hijacked off coast of Isle of Wight | SBS 1 Possible Hijackers 0

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yea Ant Middleton doesn’t look much when you see him but the guy is nails.
He must have gotten jacked after leaving. Any one of them I seen have looked more like endurance athletes. Almost gaunt looking. Could have been that they were just back from operations though, I dare not ask as a nod.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He must have gotten jacked after leaving. Any one of them I seen have looked more like endurance athletes. Almost gaunt looking. Could have been that they were just back from operations though, I dare not ask as a nod.
The main thing I noticed when I met him was how bloody short he is.

:lol: yea probably best not asking that

Heardy

Yea Ant Middleton doesn’t look much when you see him but the guy is nails.
Isn’t that kind of the point though? They’re meant to be able to blend in. You don’t need to be jacked to be a stone cold killer. I wouldn’t fight someone in the special forces, even if you gave me two accomplices armed with baseball bats.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Blows my mind how shit the food is in the military. Specially in the US, from what I've seen on Reddit. They'll spend billions on fighting wars, but won't fuel the main weapon properly. Dunno how any of em stay jacked.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Isn’t that kind of the point though? They’re meant to be able to blend. You don’t need to be jacked to be a stone cold killer. I wouldn’t fight someone in the special forces of you gave me two accomplices armed with baseball bats.
Oh no doubt, there’s no fecking with those guys.

Carolina Red

Staff
That’s because they are endurance athletes. The SBS and the SEALs are sibling services, so this would likely apply to SBS as well...

“In 2010, the Navy commissioned a $500,000 Gallup study that found that water polo players, swimmers, triathletes, lacrosse players, boxers, rugby players and wrestlers had the highest chance of making it. Of those, water polo players had the greatest odds and their chances doubled if they played the sport in college.”

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-navy-seals-recruit-athletes-2014may30-story.html

Paxi

Blows my mind how shit the food is in the military. Specially in the US, from what I've seen on Reddit. They'll spend billions on fighting wars, but won't fuel the main weapon properly. Dunno how any of em stay jacked.
I only ate scran in CTCRM 11 years ago, when I was doing my RM training (didn't pass out, left - wasn't for me) and it was just pure carbs. I genuinely didn't think it was that bad, but you got sick of it. I was having fries, pizza and burgers for 20 weeks I was there. I don't know how food is in the unit. I'd imagine it's optional. When you're doing training it just comes out of your wage.

Paxi

Isn’t that kind of the point though? They’re meant to be able to blend in. You don’t need to be jacked to be a stone cold killer. I wouldn’t fight someone in the special forces, even if you gave me two accomplices armed with baseball bats.
Yeah but you watch so many movies, at least at that time my perception was a bit warped of how a special forces operator would look.

Paxi

That’s because they are endurance athletes. The SBS and the SEALs are sibling services, so this would likely apply to SBS as well...

“In 2010, the Navy commissioned a $500,000 Gallup study that found that water polo players, swimmers, triathletes, lacrosse players, boxers, rugby players and wrestlers had the highest chance of making it. Of those, water polo players had the greatest odds and their chances doubled if they played the sport in college.”

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-navy-seals-recruit-athletes-2014may30-story.html
Oh, I know. I did a 20 mile yomp across Dartmoor with a massive bergen and that was just the training. Those guys in SF have insane mental and physical endurance.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I only ate scran in CTCRM 11 years ago, when I was doing my RM training (didn't pass out, left - wasn't for me) and it was just pure carbs. I genuinely didn't think it was that bad, but you got sick of it. I was having fries, pizza and burgers for 20 weeks I was there. I don't know how food is in the unit. I'd imagine it's optional. When you're doing training it just comes out of your wage.
You'd think there'd be a decent amount of protein involved as well. Considering all the effort and money that goes in this seems like such an easy thing to get right and get obvious benefits from. Everyone would be stronger and fitter when fed right. Probably more focussed too when deployed.

Paxi

What were you expecting? Guns growing out of their arms?
As a 19 year old lad at the time, living in an age of 99.9% need not apply adverts, yeah thats kind of what I expected.

Paxi

You'd think there'd be a decent amount of protein involved as well. Considering all the effort and money that goes in this seems like such an easy thing to get right and get obvious benefits from. Everyone would be stronger and fitter when fed right.
Actually we weren't allowed protein shakes or anything like that at all. Only lads underweight were on protein shakes prescribed in sickbay.
And I think the main thing those guys are looking for, Marines, Paras etc is mental. People can get fit and strong but you can't instill getting up for sentry at 4 in the morning and doing a wet and dry routine.

Carolina Red

Staff
The fellas at the US Naval Academy training to be SEAL officers were on 6000-7000 calories a day. They just burn it all off.

Also: Navy food > Everybody else

Paxi

The fellas at the US Naval Academy training to be SEAL officers were on 6000-7000 calories a day. They just burn it all off.

Also: Navy food > Everybody else
That's what I was consuming at least. We were ordered to eat at least 3 times a day and encouraged to eat 4. I personally ate about 5 times a day and a lot of sugar too.

Carolina Red

Staff
Seven detained and incident over.
Got em

“Seven suspects have been detained on board a tanker situated off the Isle of Wight.

UK special forces were involved in dealing with the incident on board the crude oil tanker, which had a number of stowaways on board.

The operation on board the Liberian-registered Nave Andromeda involved six helicopters and a Special Boat Service team, the BBC understands.”

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-54684440

Paxi

Well they weren't going to pose much threat since I doubt they had any fire arms with them. I mean they were stowaways not pirates.