Tap-ins

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
My nipper would have scored atleast of the two opportunities that fell to maguire and james.

And I"m confident that my mother would have scored the other.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Numbers in the box. How often do we even have our no.9 in the middle like that — let alone our wingers and midfielders?

cyberman

We tend to use each wide man to hold width for whatever tactical purpose.
Greenwood is frustratingly kept wide for whatever reason, hes never allowed in goal scoring positions

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
City seem to be the masters at these, they create about 10 a game.
The extra ball across the 6 yard box to an unmarked attacker is a big part of their attacking set up.

Greenwood has whacked that ball at James. If he just passed it the defender would have either scored an og or James would have had time adjust and tap it in. The ball was into a good area but too hard. It happens a lot.

passing-wind

City seem to be the masters at these, they create about 10 a game.
They are very proficient at breaking teams down as a unit compared to the same being done of individual players, it's that the team anticipate to overflow the opposition with the movement, passing etc. Think the fullbacks giving the inside forwards license to penetrate the box is also a contribution.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
AWB vs Southampton, James vs Southampton from the top of my head. I think Rashford has scored off a tap in as well, but can't recall which game

Godfather

We miss in situations where it's harder to not score the goal. How Harry managed to keep the ball out today is beyond me

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The low pass across the box/cut back to finish easily is one of those standard plays that produces the best results, that City do all the time and we seemingly rarely do them. We've scored a few, would have to see every goal this season to say for sure, but it should be a situation we get ourselves into more often as it just feels like we don't score simple goals often. You could say probably fairly that's either a result of decision making for attackers, quality of delivery from wide players, or coaching/system not getting many of these chances.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's not just the misses, we don't create chances like that. Not sure if the players or just coaching, it doesn't look like it's something we try. We play through the middle and through passes

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
When someone squares for another player to tap it in at the far post. A bit like the one James missed tonight. Only easier. Have we scored any this season? Is that unusual? Is it a reflection of something wrong with our attacking football?
We don't create these situations often for starters

PlayerOne

No one makes any runs so it’s hard to create the opportunity that often
Some players do though. I think the issue is that we don't do it in numbers, we rarely flood the box.

Lentwood

When someone squares for another player to tap it in at the far post. A bit like the one James missed tonight. Only easier. Have we scored any this season? Is that unusual? Is it a reflection of something wrong with our attacking football?
We don’t get the wide forwards into the box enough and when we do, they lack the goalscoring instincts required.

Take the example you used, Dan James could have easily gotten on the end of that cross earlier and been able to control the finish but didn’t anticipate it and ended up on the stretch.

I could also use the example of Rashford vs Palace. Tight game, we haven’t created a great deal. Mason Greenwood squares up the LB one vs one, shifts the ball and gains a yard, slides a perfect ball across the face of the goal...what is Rashford doing? Nothing. Standing and watching.

Its like most of our forwards don’t expect a quality delivery so don’t bother making the runs. That’s completely the wrong attitude to have. Look at Cavani. Makes the right run every time, regardless of whether the ball comes or not.

Adam-Utd

Out forwards just don't smell goals. They're always on their heels ball watching.

If they actually started running at the right time and got between the posts at the time of a cross they'd score plenty. The passes come, but often they're just not in the right position.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We don't create enough of those situations. Simple ass.
Players can always miss but outside get highlighted more cause we are shit at creating them.
City create them for fun, even without a recognised striker.

arnie_ni

Out forwards just don't smell goals. They're always on their heels ball watching.

If they actually started running at the right time and got between the posts at the time of a cross they'd score plenty. The passes come, but often they're just not in the right position.
And you want to know what the worst part is?

When rashford started out under lvg his in the box movement was superb.

He massively massively regressed.

Most of his early goals were headers, tap ins, or just general finishes from getting the ball in the box.

How many does he score now that don't involve a through ball and him using his pace, him beating the man cutting in and shooting, or a screamer from outside the box?

He rarely seems to score from the end of a pass/cross into the box

ShinjiNinja26

It comes down to chance creation and patterns of play which we are lacking in at the moment. You look at city for example they score a ton of these tap in goals due to the way they work the ball in the final third that results in their wingers or fullbacks being in a position to cut the ball back in the box or play it across the face of the goal straight to an on coming attacker.

GlasgowCeltic

Feel like David Silva orchestrated at least one tap in goal every game for the last decade

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If Cavani plays regularly, I'm sure we will see them. Lack of a proper CF is holding us back. James puts lot of these balls but there is no one to meet them. Ironically, Cavani has been injured ever since James started playing and our full backs is not great at putting balls like that.

Once Cavani is back and with James starting, we will see lot of them. Yeah, I'm overrating James here but he is the only one that's close to a winger.

RashyForPM

Plain and simply, our attackers lack football intelligence. Take Marcus and Martial. How many times has Greenwood and Shaw played good fizzers across the box as them two stand there ball watching. Speaking of Mason, why is he the one forced to keep the width? Every modern team now uses the full backs to overlap and keep the width. Mason has shown that he has excellent attacking positioning, so he should be in there. Make AWB keep the width.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If Cavani plays regularly, I'm sure we will see them. Lack of a proper CF is holding us back. James puts lot of these balls but there is no one to meet them. Ironically, Cavani has been injured ever since James started playing and our full backs is not great at putting balls like that.

Once Cavani is back and with James starting, we will see lot of them. Yeah, I'm overrating James here but he is the only one that's close to a winger.
Replace Cavani with CR7 and we will see more of them,like today. Exactly the kind of goals we never seem to score.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
We so rarely get to the byeline to cut it back. A big reason is our inside forwards who all want to cut in on their stronger foot, especially Mason who is seemingly becoming more and more one dimensional, always cutting back onto his left.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
We so rarely get to the byeline to cut it back. A big reason is our inside forwards who all want to cut in on their stronger foot, especially Mason who is seemingly becoming more and more one dimensional, always cutting back onto his left.
This. Mason used to create that uncertainty among defenders by going on his right and shooting/passing. Way too predictable and he isn't Messi/Robben like good to use the same tricks over and over again