Tariq Lamptey

croadyman

Between Dalot, Williams & Laird I think we're set for competition at RB, even if AWB is moved on. Exciting player to watch mind, sure he'll do well if he avoids injuries.
Like I said in the striker thread if we had unlimited resources then go for other areas but right now top priority is DM, CB, ST & CM without any doubt

Dorris

Like I said in the striker thread if we had unlimited resources then go for other areas but right now top priority is DM, CB, ST & CM without any doubt
A CB ahead of a RW is insanity. We have 7 centre backs and no right wingers. Id be stunned if we bought a centre back this summer.

OleGunnar20

For sure. DM / ST / CM at the very least needs to be improved this summer, and that's assuming Elanga / Amad / Pellestri can help fill the perennial RW void.

And to think we had such high hopes for this squad!

croadyman

A CB ahead of a RW is insanity. We have 7 centre backs and no right wingers. Id be stunned if we bought a centre back this summer.
That's not necessarily in order but we do really lack a top partner for Varane which didn't think would be the case at start of the season

Yeah we do lack a top RW but at least could have options there in Amad/Pellestri after loan spells, however midfield rebuild and top striker has to be priority.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Someone earlier said Lamptey reminded them of Traore and I have to agree. Obviouisly not in stature, but in the way that he's a great dribbler with no end product. No thanks...

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's a wingback in a back five, would get destroyed in a four having to defend the back post.

We play a four.
The idea that teams would do significantly more damage targetting a 5ft 5 fullback than they would would a 5ft 7 fullback seems strange to me. Either way, they're short and not winning many headers against anyone who wants to target them in that way. Luckily that's only a small part of a fullback's job, which is why you have so many short fullbacks.

In terms of of aerial duels Lamptey has been winning between 26-33% across the last three seasons. Whereas someone like Trent Alexander-Arnold has won between 22-45% over the same three years. If we take Lamptey's average (28.8%) and TAA's average (30.5%) and apply that to the average amount of aerial duels AWB has faced in his full seasons here, it would amount to the 5ft 9 TAA winning one extra aerial duel a season over the 5ft 5 Lamptey were they both playing for us.

GledTheRed

The idea that teams would do significantly more damage targetting a 5ft 5 fullback than they would would a 5ft 7 fullback seems strange to me. Either way, they're short and not winning many headers against anyone who wants to target them in that way. Luckily that's only a small part of a fullback's job, which is why you have so many short fullbacks.

In terms of of aerial duels Lamptey has been winning between 26-33% across the last three seasons. Whereas someone like Trent Alexander-Arnold has won between 22-45% over the same three years. If we take Lamptey's average (28.8%) and TAA's average (30.5%) and apply that to the average amount of aerial duels AWB has faced in his full seasons here, it would amount to the 5ft 9 TAA winning one extra aerial duel a season over the 5ft 5 Lamptey were they both playing for us.
Who is our 5'7 fullback?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Who is our 5'7 fullback?
I didn't mean we had a 5ft 7 fullback (though Brandon Williams is around that height). I meant 5ft 7 is a normal height for a top level fullback to be, even though it's obviously short enough that anyone who wanted to target them aerially could happily do so almost as easily as they would a 5ft 5 player. Whether they have the extra couple of inches over Lamptey or not, they're still not winning many headers against anyone bothered to do so.

Players like Dani Alves, Jordi Alba, Dani Carvajal, Philip Lahm, Roberto Carlos all thrived at the very highest level of European football despite being in and around 5ft 7. Or to pick a random example from the PL right now, Aaron Cresswell has managed 8 years in the oh-so physical PL despite being 5ft 7. Having a fullback who could be targeted aerially because of their height is a normal issue for teams to adjust to.

Last edited: