Television Taskmaster | Season 17 now airing

NotThatSoph

I'm very out of sync with the general mood of the thread, which is interesting. I'm not sure if that's happened before.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Of course the points aren't the most important part of the show, but they do still matter in terms of keeping it interesting and creating some tension, which helps make things funnier.

The live task was stupid, and the music sequence task was terrible. I want to like Mae, but they're just a bit bland.

Otherwise a decent episode, but not a great series so far.

Bertie Wooster

Nothing Horne has done outside of Taskmaster has been even remotely funny to me.
I love 'No More Jockeys' on YouTube.

That's just three mates - Alex Horne, Mark Watson and Tim Key - having great banter while playing a silly little game. Very funny and light hearted.

Bertie Wooster

There have been some pretty boring tasks this season, they're doing the contestants a disservice.
Yeah, have to agree with that.

It's not a stellar group anyway, but the likes of Ivo and Frankie, especially, have shown they can be entertaining when given the right opportunities. But many of the tasks have been uninspiring and quite samey, which has been the main problem for the series.

Bertie Wooster

Imaginary friend one was scraping the barrel.
Absolutely.

I've not liked any of the music ones. The potato one was boring and frustrating. There's been a few other poor ones that I can't currently remember. But, yeah, the imaginary friend one was the worst so far - just awful.

lsd

The Oracle
The egg one has to be the worst task ever. I genuinely had no clue for ages what they were supposed to do.

I have noticed Alex has given Mae hints a few times this series too

hobbers

The tasks have been so boring I cant even remember most of them.

Was randomly watching some of series 8 and it's a completely different show. Compared to this series the tasks are night and day. And that series had Paul Sinha with a busted shoulder who could barely move, didn't stop them setting lots of physical tasks, outdoorsy tasks, active tasks.

Not this endless shite with imaginary friends, dance mime, music mime, fight mime, musical sequence, shelling a fecking egg......?!

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
They're yet to capture a task like last seasons where John was sabotaging the team and Dara actually wanted to kill him. :lol:

Frankie been carrying this a little bit with Ivo. And Greg is obviously a huge professional making that ladies rubbish gags into something.

This team also has no chemistry. Last season with Fern was great.

Member 125398

It's looking like the show has run its course. Kiel is a good contestant but they seem to have run out of ideas on the tasks. The only thing funny is Greg being rude to the contestants. Alex Horne is a grade A public school twat.

NotThatSoph

Going back to throw-gate, I'm a bit baffled about the reaction. Of course it wasn't a throw, but also it was the obvious winner. It's not supposed to be fair, it's supposed to be funny. Frankie Boyle argues that it's not a throw, it's a cast, so when Horne reveals that a cast by definition is a throw then you of course have to give the points because of the own goal.

Bert_

Not a great season so far. Although it's not the best lineup, you can't really blame any of the contestants though. The physical tasks are far too specific, so no room for any real creativity or any hilarious fecks ups. Also the more abstract tasks used to be limited to a few per season. Think there has been one every episode so far but they've all been pretty shit or generally forgettable.

Ivo seems like the perfect sort of contestant for the show. He's just appeared at the wrong time.

Same for Frankie. He would have been better featuring along side some of the bigger names in the past. These lot seem terrified of him in the studio bits, despite him being incredibly tame in comparison to his usual stuff. Very little back and forth between them.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Did they really do musical chairs for a task? They are definitely out of ideas. Probably the most boring episode I’ve watched.

decorativeed

Yeah, tasks have been really tired this season. I think the last episode may have been the outright worst ever. Incredibly dull and unimaginative.

Bert_

Much better episode, maybe the best of the season.
Probably was. Much better tasks this week.

Thought Ivo's mini meltdown after the garlic neckless fell of his plastic duck should have at least been mentioned in the studio section. It probably was but got cut. The studio editing has been noticeably poor this year.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Much better episode, maybe the best of the season.
Frankie saying Ivo holding his head like a chimpanzee whose habitat is under threat :lol:

Feels like Greg wants Frankie to win an episode, constantly ranking his prize tasks 4/5 points despite mostly being paintings but then something happens in one of the other tasks which stops that from happening - like him and Ivo getting out of the handcuffs which took 40 odd minutes because Ivo was reluctant to put Frankie in his place, or that flour dog where he forgot to clap in this episode.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Decent episode. They're clearly running out of ideas this season, though. There are too many tasks like that umbrella one, where they basically go "here's a thing, now make it funny". The pineapple one was good though, and the jelly one wasn't bad either.

Last edited:

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Decent episode. They're clearly running out of ideas this season, though. There are too many tasks like that umbrella one, where they basically go "here's a thing, now make it funny". The pineapple one was good though, and the jelly one wasn't bad either.
Yeah, I liked those ones. Mae and Kiell saved the umbrella one a bit, should really have had them try to do something more with them.
Live task was broken yet again, I get that they tried to balance it with the hand holding but it didn't really work at all.

decorativeed

Yeah, I liked those ones. Mae and Kiell saved the umbrella one a bit, should really have had them try to do something more with them.
Live task was broken yet again, I get that they tried to balance it with the hand holding but it didn't really work at all.
Yeah, the team of three seem to have an obvious advantage in almost all the team tasks this series. It's not helping the series as a whole at all, when added to the lacklustre tasks.

Damien

Staff
Thought it was the best episode of the season.

The in studio bickering is great
Definitely so many quotable moments in that one.

The live team tasks really are so disappointing - in the latest one not only did they have two throwing balls vs one, the team of three had someone 5ft 5 wearing the suit while the team of two had someone 6ft. Mae easily hid behind the post which was tough for Ivo to hit due to less surface area.

Fairer would be to have Kiell wearing the suit and have Mae throwing for the first half of the time and Jenny for the second half or vice versa - or better still just scrap them altogether.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Definitely so many quotable moments in that one.

The live team tasks really are so disappointing - in the latest one not only did they have two throwing balls vs one, the team of three had someone 5ft 5 wearing the suit while the team of two had someone 6ft. Mae easily hid behind the post which was tough for Ivo to hit due to less surface area.

Fairer would be to have Kiell wearing the suit and have Mae throwing for the first half of the time and Jenny for the second half or vice versa - or better still just scrap them altogether.
I dunno, the puzzle one in the previous episode with the jellybeans where Ivo was getting pissed at Frankie for being way off but too afraid to do anything was pretty Damn funny.

It’s definitely been an improvement in the last few episodes

Damien

Staff
I dunno, the puzzle one in the previous episode with the jellybeans where Ivo was getting pissed at Frankie for being way off but too afraid to do anything was pretty Damn funny.

It’s definitely been an improvement in the last few episodes
I like those - I mean the stage "live" team tasks where in both this series the team of three had a clear advantage.

After the previous one where the team of three got 10(?) points it was pretty much impossible for Frankie and Ivo to catch up to them over the rest of the series.

lsd

The Oracle
So last episode of a pretty average season tonight but we also find out who is on the next season.

Any predictions?

I'm hoping Rys James and Bill Bellamy are on though hearing rumours that Julian Clary and Sue Perkins have signed on

Mystry

Friendship is magic
I tapped out 3 episodes into this series, just haven't had the urge to watch it, even on catch up. Its felt like some of the covid series, spoiled by bland casting and not great tasks. I was actually thinking the show might have run its course until the previous series which was up there with the best at times. Maybe they should move to only doing one series a year, less strain on coming up with interesting tasks but that's probably not going to happen.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Mae Martin genuinely sucked the soul out of the season. That and the shit tasks. Wasted Frankie and Ivo.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I tapped out 3 episodes into this series, just haven't had the urge to watch it, even on catch up. Its felt like some of the covid series, spoiled by bland casting and not great tasks. I was actually thinking the show might have run its course until the previous series which was up there with the best at times. Maybe they should move to only doing one series a year, less strain on coming up with interesting tasks but that's probably not going to happen.
The most recent two are on a par with some of the best of last season tbf.

Mae is a bit of a fun sponge but they knew who they were booking.

Ivo and Frankie have been dynamite in the last two edits. Kiele has been brilliant too. Ivo doing the walk in the episode a fortnight ago is up there with the best taskmaster moments.

It’s definitely worth sticking with it. This series more than most has taken forever to develop a great studio dynamic. I generally hate those parts but this season has been great recently.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah Mae is a weird one because there have been contestants who found loopholes and skirted the rules before but for some reason when they do it it feels very smug and irritating. Ivo & Frankie have been good. Kiel to an extent too and Jennie’s enthusiasm is fun but it has been a bit bland despite all that. Not helped by the tasks at times.

hobbers

Mae Martin genuinely sucked the soul out of the season. That and the shit tasks. Wasted Frankie and Ivo.
Yeah Mae is the worst of it. But Kiel and Jenny also dont add any value.

Twice as many team tasks as normal this season plus it seems like the majority of tasks have had them standing on a spot not allowed to move.

Easily the worst season ever.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I like those - I mean the stage "live" team tasks where in both this series the team of three had a clear advantage.

After the previous one where the team of three got 10(?) points it was pretty much impossible for Frankie and Ivo to catch up to them over the rest of the series.
Well Frankie has already declared that his only goal was to ‘not win’ as he’s then contractually obliged to do Champion of Champions.

I don’t think winning really matters to most. I’ll buy tickets to Ivo’s next show but perhaps wouldn’t have had he been full on try hard in every task.

The best contestants are generally the ones that just don’t give a Fcuk about the scoreboard. Kearns, Acaster, Nish, Fern, Wozniak, Stirling, are all Taskmaster Royalty and never really tried to win.

But yeah, the 10-10-10-0-0 was still mental.

lsd

The Oracle
Yeah Mae is a weird one because there have been contestants who found loopholes and skirted the rules before but for some reason when they do it it feels very smug and irritating. Ivo & Frankie have been good. Kiel to an extent too and Jennie’s enthusiasm is fun but it has been a bit bland despite all that. Not helped by the tasks at times.

It didn't help as soon as they walk into a room they are looking under the table before even opening the task.

Weird scoring just continues tonight five points for a puppet of Alan sugar that's supposed to be Greg

UnrelatedPsuedo

I think people would probably be loving Mae if they had some kind of cultural foothold in the UK.

They’re awfully similar to Tarbuck, Herring, Gamble. And so much more likeable than Beckett or Kendall.

The winners are rarely beloved.