Music Taylor Swift

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Out of interest those who slags her. Name musician you think is much better than her
In purely musical terms, there are hundreds. She's a truly modern phenomenon. She's just really safe and marketable. She's a good singer but not amazing. Lots of her peers have better voices. She's a competent if not a bit formulaic, songwriter. She's pretty but not annoyingly or intimidatingly so. Her family were in PR or something and Taylor herself is savvy as hell. She's really driven, and focussed and has been from a young age. She's a money making dream come true. All the parts are there.

Recognising these things doesn't make you a snob.

I work in the music industry and have done for nearly 30 years. I ran a record label for half that time, and success and talent are linked but not the same.

Sone of the most talented people don't make it, for a variety of reasons.

Wing Attack Plan R

In purely musical terms, there are hundreds. She's a truly modern phenomenon. She's just really safe and marketable. She's a good singer but not amazing. Lots of her peers have better voices. She's a competent if not a bit formulaic, songwriter. She's pretty but not annoyingly or intimidatingly so. Her family were in PR or something and Taylor herself is savvy as hell. She's really driven, and focussed and has been from a young age. She's a money making dream come true. All the parts are there.

I work in the music industry and have done for nearly 30 years. I ran a record label for half that time, and success and talent are linked but not the same.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is claiming Swift is the GOAT, but if you compare her to the people she is regularly competing against at the Grammys, she comes out just fine. I think people forget Swift is a pop singer, and one who crossed over from country-pop to begin with. A more important thing that keeps getting overlooked is Swift writes music for girls/women, and that perspective is not going to be readily embraced by people who are neither young nor women.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Great post. Spot on.