Teden Mengi Attitude on Hugging/Laughing with Opposition is a breath of fresh air

Santos J

I never said they were, Jesus Christ people haven't read what I have said or interpreted it as intended. I was comparing it to why Klopp got rid of that crap and comparing it to the teams Fergie built. And you wonder why we have struggled throughout the Post Fergie Years. Our Fans would happily watch our teams get beat 6-1 and be happy watching players hug and laugh with the opposition and respect that. Roy Keane has the right attitude even Gary Neville said you don't want to see that as a fan. You instill into any team when playing against rivals/derbies be mates after the game and behind closed doors not when the camera is on you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Again, it wasn't after the game. It's an absolutely nothing issue that only the "Roy Keane would have decked them all" lot will care about. He's a fecking 17 year old kid in a new country seeing his mate from back home before a game.

Red_toad

No it isn't. Airing an opinion on co worker is not something you do on Social media especially when your own performance was probably the worst of the bunch.

Not sure why people have this nostalgia of Roy Keane and before him era. World has moved on, and not everyone has to act like they are about to murder someone after they lose a game. Infact being humble after the game and praising your opponent for outclassing you is probably the better attitude. You can reflect behind close doors and I am sure most of the sports person do.
I don’t see many humble winners who are happy after being humiliated by a rival. Hannibal shouldn’t have posted the picture and Mengi should’ve been reflecting on his own performance in that match. Competitive winners should quietly be seething after that shite show.

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
Again, it wasn't after the game. It's an absolutely nothing issue that only the "Roy Keane would have decked them all" lot will care about. He's a fecking 17 year old kid in a new country seeing his mate from back home before a game.
I never said i would deck him like Roy Keane ever i said what he said about player attitudes and if you want to be mates do it Behind Closed doors and that should be instilled early, I never watched the class of 92 do it watching when Rashford or Greenwood were coming through. You don't see any liverpool side do it do you? It is not being a Robot its about doing your job.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
To be honest it shows how little you do care if you can laugh after getting beat that bad shows the attitude you do have.
I guess then we can agree to disagree. Not everyone has to be ruthless. You need to remember that they are people not robots. Everyone has a way to process their performance.

Mjebri was much better than Mengi in that game. Also anyone who has watched him knows he is not the soft type and is quite driven. Goes up and down regularly. That post was after 2 weeks ( I think) and Mengi using that was probably not such a great idea. You have an issue, you clear it face to face rather than using social media post. Actually it shows he isn't ready for first team and not a leader attitude that I would look in a United player.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Would still rather fancy Mejbri than Mengi in first team.

Santos J

I never said i would deck him like Roy Keane ever i said what he said about player attitudes and if you want to be mates do it Behind Closed doors and that should be instilled early, I never watched the class of 92 do it watching when Rashford or Greenwood were coming through. You don't see any liverpool side do it do you? It is not being a Robot its about doing your job.

Kostov

Why is that relevant? The last thing he should be taking from that game is posting pictures on social media laughing. First it does show how much he really cares, secondly it shows how stupid the kid is making him target in eyes of fickle fans who will go and throw abuse on a 17 year old kid.

pratyush_utd

I don’t see many humble winners who are happy after being humiliated by a rival. Hannibal shouldn’t have posted the picture and Mengi should’ve been reflecting on his own performance in that match. Competitive winners should quietly be seething after that shite show.
Well he wasn't happy and was much better in the game and actually showed winning attitude when it mattered, that is during the game. After that I didn't see as we got humiliated so I had turned off the match but that pic was posted after sometime and Mengi shouldn't use that to make that point when he himself was atrocious.

Like I said, everyone has their way to process the defeat. But calling them out on social media is never okay and actually shows Mendi needs to learn that. Not sure why we are praising that behaviour.

Santos J

Why is that relevant? The last thing he should be taking from that game is posting pictures on social media laughing. First it does show how much he really cares, secondly it shows how stupid the kid is making him target in eyes of fickle fans who will go and throw abuse on a 17 year old kid.
Because he said it was after the game.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Don't have an issue with people not liking players being publicly friendly with each other like that but the idea that it's something top teams don't do is nonsense. I've seen players from the likes of Barca and Madrid warmly greet opponents in the tunnel before games countless times over the years. And, despite what the OP seems to think, it is something Liverpool players do too.

pratyush_utd

Well it actually happened after the game didn't it?
Mjebri posted the pic of warmup with his friend. The game was played weeks ago. Opening post doesn't have complete information. Mengi himself was woeful in the same game. It's just petty behaviour from Mengi using social media to out his team mate when in reality he himself was much worse

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England

"Mejbri refused to take sole blame for the defeat, replying: "It's good that you said WE", before Mengi wrote: "It's a team sport not an individual one."

After the Chelsea battering
But the Chelsea player is also laughing and joking with a United player and it didn’t prevent them from winning 6-1 so I’m not sure his logic adds up here.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Guess I'm weird as I don't see any problem with what Hannibal did, but I also quite like that Mengi said it. He's clearly got a drive to win and that's something you don't teach. In future should be kept behind closed doors, yeah, but he's still learning etc.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I am of the view point that if you're friendly on the pitch, it certainly affects your mentality in the game. I don't think anyone has a problem with being friends off the pitch but cracking jokes even after the whistle ends is a bit distasteful. Maybe I am old fashioned though.

DoomSlayer

Having friends in rival clubs is a bit weird to me. I always wonder how sentimentality would work in such cases, would players not go as hard as they would against those they consider as mates?

We used to have a team full of serious players, that knew when they can enjoy their game and when it was time to stamp some authority against our rivals. We don't have that anymore.

Kostov

Mjebri posted the pic of warmup with his friend. The game was played weeks ago. Opening post doesn't have complete information. Mengi himself was woeful in the same game. It's just petty behaviour from Mengi using social media to out his team mate when in reality he himself was much worse
It doesn't matter whether it was 2 weeks or 6 weeks ago, it's still the last humiliating game you represented your club in, and for feck sake it's posting a picture on social media, it's not even that important if you want to show appreciation to your friend.

And yes Mengi was absolutely shit and should have done the talking in the dressing room, not on instagram.

Red_toad

Well he wasn't happy and was much better in the game and actually showed winning attitude when it mattered, that is during the game. After that I didn't see as we got humiliated so I had turned off the match but that pic was posted after sometime and Mengi shouldn't use that to make that point when he himself was atrocious.

Like I said, everyone has their way to process the defeat. But calling them out on social media is never okay and actually shows Mendi needs to learn that. Not sure why we are praising that behaviour.
I’ve no idea why it’s being praised, but I can under why fans want hungry competitive players. Both were in the wrong.
After listening to Bruno interview the other day when he talked about how competitive he is, his wife has to tell him to allow their 3 year old daughter to win when they play board games, as he can’t stand loosing at anything. That’s the kind of players the fans want and can relate to.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
2 Sets of Brazilians and is this something I want to see either no. But is anyone else doing that no,
Hahaha you’re having a shocker here !

just accept it, being friendly before a match makes zero difference to the outcome. Maybe if Mengi was more relaxed he wouldn’t have conceded 2 goals in 2 minutes.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

"Mejbri refused to take sole blame for the defeat, replying: "It's good that you said WE", before Mengi wrote: "It's a team sport not an individual one."

After the Chelsea battering
Why not just have the chat in private, sitting next to each other in the changing rooms?

Don't like that Mengi is causing issues within his squad - now we have a potential feud between two top youth talents

lysglimt

Scout
So just because he isn't like you, he is stupid ?

lysglimt

Scout
Having friends in rival clubs is a bit weird to me. I always wonder how sentimentality would work in such cases, would players not go as hard as they would against those they consider as mates?

We used to have a team full of serious players, that knew when they can enjoy their game and when it was time to stamp some authority against our rivals. We don't have that anymore.
Why would that be strange ? I can promise you Gary Neville, Roy Keane, Nicky Butt "hated" their teammates every timed they played against them in training - and when they change teams 10 minutes later, they are the best of friends again

SmallCaine

This, "they are just well paid employees who get to kick a ball" is the attitude that got us 7 years in the wilderness and generally looking like a mediocre team from previously title winning team. Fans like yourself obviously think differently but imo the best teams are much more that "well paid employees". Winning mentality is a huge part of the best teams around and we lack that in the senior side for years. Look at Bruno and how refreshing his presence has been, they might not be medieval era gladiators, but they better give 110% in every game at the very least, and have the sense of not posting a picture on social media after such a humiliating defeat,.

Not that Mengi was in the right considering how shockingly bad he performed, and this could have been discussed behind closed doors.
The best teams have the best players along with a great coaching staff and a professional and efficient organization that knows what it is doing backing the players and the coach. Bruno is a refreshing presence because he is so good at actually kicking the ball bit, mengi seems to be an obnoxious little cnut who given his own performance in the game needs to improve himself instead of trying to pick fights with others.

Winning mentality isn't hate everyone you play against, giving 110% and still being friends with someone who you play against aren't mutually exclusive. The team did not lose because he posted a picture with a friend before the game nor did it lose because he was friendly with the opposition player, otherwise it would be a draw as the same logic should apply to the chelsea player. We lost because we played poorly and by the looks of it, the big culprit of that was Mengi himself, funny how all that i hate the opposition mentality of his didn't help him perform better.

dal

I haven’t seen the comment but going by the responses if mengi is clever, he’s doing it as PR for giving us fans hope in the mentality of our youth.

If he’s stupid he’s posted on social media in anger and had a go at his teammate to which he should be reprimanded.

Regardless of his approach on this I’d rather he had these words behind closed doors, rather than empty words on social media.

Cliche Guevara

why can they not be friends or share a hug/laugh after the game?

Football fans rather all sports fans seem to have some really bizarre expectations of sportsmen they support. They are not medeival era gladiators. They are just really well paid employees who get to kick a ball for living.

It isn't a fight to death, you don't need enemies. Imagine if an adult said what mengi said to you on your job, most would laugh at that person and call him a weirdo. But a teenager is apparently applauded for it.
Why do they have to be?

The fact they can go from being in fierce competition to laughing and hugging and kissing suggests they haven’t been employing a sufficiently professional attitude during the game. The world is also watching and the supporters who pay their wages have certain expectations.

At the end of the game be professional and if you want to be mates once everyone is changed then do it at that point.

This club has struggled for seven years and supporters expect the players to want to give their all to win. The fact our culture is too friendly only heightens concerns the mentality is not winning enough and that they are just having fun playing with their mates.

It also suggests the players are not as invested as the supporters when it comes to success.

Take Bruno Fernandes’s mentality -that’s the difference.

Edit: this post is in relation to after first-team games which appears slightly different from the specific case in question which might also raise its own concerns.

Last edited:

Kostov

The best teams have the best players along with a great coaching staff and a professional and efficient organization that knows what it is doing backing the players and the coach. Bruno is a refreshing presence because he is so good at actually kicking the ball bit, mengi seems to be an obnoxious little cnut who given his own performance in the game needs to improve himself instead of trying to pick fights with others.

Winning mentality isn't hate everyone you play against, giving 110% and still being friends with someone who you play against aren't mutually exclusive. The team did not lose because he posted a picture with a friend before the game nor did it lose because he was friendly with the opposition player, otherwise it would be a draw as the same logic should apply to the chelsea player. We lost because we played poorly and by the looks of it, the big culprit of that was Mengi himself, funny how all that i hate the opposition mentality of his didn't help him perform better.
The best teams have the best players and the biggest winners off them all, not only talent to kick a ball, I think you fail to realize that. Bruno is refreshing not just because he is a good footballer, with his attitude he sets standards and wants everyone to strive to get there. That's what winners do, winners don't tolerate shit from teammates, and you as a United fan should know that, our greatest ever captain was the definition of winning mentality.

Winning mentality doesn't stop him being friends with whoever he wishes for, so does not posting a picture in inadequate time for himself and his team. And don't mix winning mentality with hate, nobody said you should hate your opponent.

Posting a picture can never lose you a game, especially a game that played out previously, it's a nonsense sentence you wrote, and completely off point, it's the mindset that we talk about, the Chelsea player won a game 6:1 against one of his biggest rivals, not sure what you are missing here. We lost because Mengi was absolute shit, so were number of other players, including Mejbri, you don't lose a game 6:1 because of one reason.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Why do they have to be?

The fact they can go from being in fierce competition to laughing and hugging and kissing suggests they haven’t been employing a sufficiently professional attitude during the game. The world is also watching and the supporters who pay their wages have certain expectations.

At the end of the game be professional and if you want to be mates once everyone is changed then do it at that point.

This club has struggled for seven years and supporters expect the players to want to give their all to win. The fact our culture is too friendly only heightens concerns the mentality is not winning enough and that they are just having fun playing with their mates.

It also suggests the players are not as invested as the supporters when it comes to success.

Take Bruno Fernandes’s mentality -that’s the difference.
How can the supporters be more invested than the players who are doing their best on the pitch and in training?

DoomSlayer

Why would that be strange ? I can promise you Gary Neville, Roy Keane, Nicky Butt "hated" their teammates every timed they played against them in training - and when they change teams 10 minutes later, they are the best of friends again
Because it is? Players back in those days were more robust and had a winning mentality, we don't have anything close to that currently and I do believe things like what I mentioned earlier might be an issue, in terms of the way we approach games and how far are players willing to go to win matches.

Kag

And the effective way of dealing with said issue is to dramatise it all over social media?

Lad is a bit of a plonker.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Attention seeking nobody (Mengi, not the op).
No need to criticise your teammate on Instagram. Focus on your own mistakes and deal with your teammates in private.