Telegraph Football: Man Utd looking to appoint director of football this summer | Appointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
UNITED APPOINT FOOTBALL AND TECHNICAL DIRECTORS

by
Communications Department
10 March 2021 12:00

Manchester United is pleased to announce the promotion of John Murtough to Football Director and Darren Fletcher to Technical Director, two new roles that will further strengthen the club’s football operations.
John will have overall leadership and responsibility for operations and strategy across all football functions, reinforcing the strong foundations already in place. This appointment builds on the work John has already undertaken in recent years, working closely with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and the rest of the football staff to create the structures, processes and culture to deliver sustained success on the pitch. This has included successful overhauls of the club’s Academy and recruitment department.

Darren will work closely with John to add technical input and direction into all football and performance areas. He will focus on a co-ordinated and long-term approach to player and squad development, helping maintain the integral link between the Academy and the first team, aligned with Manchester United’s values and culture.
As Football Director, John will work day-to-day with Ole to align recruitment and other strategies and to ensure that the first team has the best-in-class operational support it needs to succeed.

Ole will continue his role in the recruitment process, supported by extensive scouting and data analytics functions that will continue to report to John. Matt Judge will also report to John, with a new title of Director of Football Negotiations.

United is pleased to announce the promotion of John Murtough to Football Director and Darren Fletcher to Technical Director,
Ed Woodward, Manchester United Executive Vice-Chairman, said: “These are hugely important appointments that reinforce the progress we have been making as a club in recent years in our relentless pursuit of success.
“We have already made great strides forward in the way we run our football operations, and the benefits are visible in the resurgent pipeline of Academy talent reaching the first team and through our improved recruitment record. John has been integral to our progress in all these areas and his deep understanding of development ensures the club’s traditions of bringing young players through from Academy to first team will continue. This new position is a natural evolution that harnesses his leadership qualities and his years of experience in the game.

“Darren’s stellar achievements as a player and his own journey from Academy to Premier League and Champions League winner means he naturally commands respect and understands this vital part of the club’s DNA. In this new role, the first in our history, he will deliver technical advice across all aspects of the football department as well as contributing to the communication and delivery of our football philosophy across all areas of the club.

“I am delighted that John and Darren have accepted these roles and I look forward to the contribution they will make, together with Ole and the rest of the staff, as we build toward future success.”
John Murtough said: “This is such an exciting time for everyone at Manchester United with the first team, Academy and Women’s team all performing strongly, and plenty of development still to come. It’s a privilege to be part of that process, and an honour to lead Manchester United’s football department, working alongside Ole, Casey and so many other truly outstanding staff all dedicated to delivering success to this club.”
https://store.manutd.com/en/manches...=NewestArrivals&_s=bm-FI-PSC-MUFC-AdCards-App
Darren Fletcher said:
“It is great to be back with the club and I am delighted to be taking on this new role. We are moving in the right direction and I am looking forward to continuing to work with Ole and his coaching team, and now with John as the Football Director, to help bring young players through and further develop the football side of the club. It’s fantastic to see that all the staff here are driving Manchester United forward towards a new era of success.'

by
Communications Department
10 March 2021 12:00
External Website

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Hmm. Darren fletcher. Not sure what his credentials are but at least there could be some stability within the club when transitioning between managers.
Fletch won't be dealing with recruitment, Murtough will

crossy1686

career ending
Well at least now we have people working on transfers and building for the future instead of waking up on June 1st and going "Shit! We better start making some bids!"

crossy1686

career ending
Fletcher: Makes sure players have the right mentality to play for United - works alongside Solskajer
Murtough: Makes and negotiates the structure of the deals
Judge: Contracts

GoldTrafford99

I wonder if Darren Fletcher is still going to be in training sessions and literally coaching our first-team?

I have heard that he has had a huge influence on our vastly-improved defensive set up over the past month.

GoldTrafford99

Fletcher: Makes sure players have the right mentality to play for United - works alongside Solskajer
Murtough: Makes and negotiates the structure of the deals
Judge: Contracts

Did you just make that up off the top of your head?

That is totally inaccurate. Literally every guess there is an innaccuracy.

laughtersassassin

Matt Judge appointed Director of Football Negotiations after years of failing.

Disgusting.

This is the guy agents complain about cause he won't answer his fecking phone.

Not delighted with Fletcher as he has no experience but let's hope he is good.

Murtough as football director seems another cop out too.

Bar Fletcher all these people have been here years and failing for years.

Edit: Reading up Murtough actually seems the most promising appointment. Judge is really the only one I have a problem with based in what we know. Hopefully things improve quickly

Last edited:

decorativeed

The Matt Judge news could be huge. Anything to keep Woody away from the negotiating table.

Pleased for Fletcher. He understands United and should work well with any manager who has similar values (including Ole).
Is that the beavis and butthead guy?

GoldTrafford99

Mourtagh has been at the club years and has literally been overseeing Ole's long-term plan ever since Ole took the hotseat.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So what does the Technical director do? Is this the link between the first team and then across all subsequent teams or is he the guy who will sit inbetween Ole and Woodward ?

UpWithRivers

If we get a DOF and a decent first team RW in summer Ill question everything I know and live in solitude in the Himalayas

laughtersassassin

The Matt Judge news could be huge. Anything to keep Woody away from the negotiating table.

Pleased for Fletcher. He understands United and should work well with any manager who has similar values (including Ole).
Matt Judge is Woody's mate from college lad. He's been hand in hand with woody ruining this club.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
So what does the Technical director do? Is this the link between the first team and then across all subsequent teams or is he the guy who will sit inbetween Ole and Woodward ?
Does no one read previous posts?

It's literally all in @FootyGirl88 's post above

Darren will work closely with John to add technical input and direction into all football and performance areas. He will focus on a co-ordinated and long-term approach to player and squad development, helping maintain the integral link between the Academy and the first team, aligned with Manchester United’s values and culture.

As Football Director, John will work day-to-day with Ole to align recruitment and other strategies and to ensure that the first team has the best-in-class operational support it needs to succeed.

laughtersassassin

Surely now we should complete deals early in the windows or even before the windows open like competent clubs do.

Somehow I don't think so.

laughtersassassin

So no change. Great!

Exactly. Fail for 8 years. Promote the people failing and call it a Change.

Fletcher is literally the only change and even he has apparently been doing this job for the last year or more. Didn't work last summer.

GoldTrafford99

AMAZING how news can be changed and edited within a matter of minutes.

United announce this deal on Social Media, explaining each of the three new roles.

Within minutes, and without reading the content, posters on here are making stuff up about what the roles entail.

Real life, living proof of exactly why the world is fecked up right now has literally been played out in the past dozen or so posts above this one.

laughtersassassin

I'll give them 1 summer to prove this isn't a change in name only to appease the fans.

Cause that's what it looks like

Nikelesh Reddy

Let’s not condemn him even before he takes charge!Obviously we all would have felt a whole lot better had a high profile DOF taken over this role,an internal appointment obviously doesn’t have the same zing to it.But let’s see how this new structure works this summer before ranting and raving...Who knows,maybe he”ll be a blazing success....

Mainoldo

United announce this deal on Social Media, explaining each of the three new roles.

Within minutes, and without reading the content, posters on here are making stuff up about what the roles entail.

Real life, living proof of exactly why the world is fecked up right now has literally been played out in the past dozen or so posts above this one.
Go on do explain....

So what did they announce and what did we miss?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

Go on do explain....

So what did they announce and what did we miss?
A lot actually & this has been posted multiple times and people are still asking what the roles entail. So here they are again:

Manchester United is pleased to announce the promotion of John Murtough to Football Director and Darren Fletcher to Technical Director, two new roles that will further strengthen the club’s football operations.

John will have overall leadership and responsibility for operations and strategy across all football functions, reinforcing the strong foundations already in place. This appointment builds on the work John has already undertaken in recent years, working closely with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and the rest of the football staff to create the structures, processes and culture to deliver sustained success on the pitch. This has included successful overhauls of the club’s Academy and recruitment department.

Ole will continue his role in the recruitment process, supported by extensive scouting and data analytics functions that will continue to report to John. Matt Judge will also report to John, with a new title of Director of Football Negotiations

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Hmm. Darren fletcher. Not sure what his credentials are but at least there could be some stability within the club when transitioning between managers.
His credentials are knowing the club inside out and understanding what it means (or should mean) to play for us all the way up from the youth setup. And making it, making it big, getting to the top and being a key player for the greatest manager in our history, for one of our best sides, despite not exactly being the most talented one. Dealing with illness and carrying on, always inspiring others on and off the field... Derbies... people remember that Owen 96th minute goal but not the brace Fletch got that day: big game player if I ever saw one.

feck me, how many people have those credentials? Very few. Now add the character: intelligent guy, level-headed, reserved, firm, determined.

I can say nothing for the other two who may as well be suits and clearly recruitment is more in their hands, but I'm delighted Darren Fletcher of all people is charged with keeping things aligned end to end with what Manchester United is supposed to be all about.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
His credentials are knowing the club inside out and understanding what it means (or should mean) to play for us all the way up from the youth setup. And making it, making it big, getting to the top and being a key player for the greatest manager in our history, for one of our best sides, despite not exactly being the most talented one. Dealing with illness and carrying on, always inspiring others on and off the field... Derbies... people remember that Owen 96th minute goal but not the brace Fletch got that day: big game player if I ever saw one.

feck me, how many people have those credentials? Very few. Now add the character: intelligent guy, level-headed, reserved, firm, determined.

I can say nothing for the other two who may as well be suits and clearly recruitment is more in their hands, but I'm delighted Darren Fletcher of all people is charged with keeping things aligned end to end with what Manchester United is supposed to be all about.
Agree with all you say @antohan Of course there will be some fans clamouring for continental big names but there is a lot to be said for somebody who has been through all the teams in the club and understands the club inside and out. The caveat is he now has to perform in that role.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Then he's not very good at his job then..
Didn’t we get Bruno on like £70k? We’ve massively improved the with player contracts in the last couple of years all together.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'll give them 1 summer to prove this isn't a change in name only to appease the fans.

Cause that's what it looks like
You've not even given them 1 summer, your posts in this thread aren't hidden, we can see what you wrote. Why even pretend like you haven't already made up your mind?

gajender

Didn’t we get Bruno on like £70k? We’ve massively improved the with player contracts in the last couple of years all together.
Not true most probably just like Sanchez salary of £500k wasn't correct either .

Amir

He hooks up the TV in the dressing room when Solskjaer wants to make a tactical point to the team.

laughtersassassin

You've not even given them 1 summer, your posts in this thread aren't hidden, we can see what you wrote. Why even pretend like you haven't already made up your mind?
I mean I haven't made up my mind.

Personally I don't think it's much change but am hoping it is.

Fletcher is obviously an unkown and has no experience in the role but maybe he can have an influence.

Murtough I've just read a few articles on and am somewhat hopeful after what he has done with the Academy.

Judge is a terrible appointment in my opinion based on his previous track record. We have heard lots of very concerning things about him over the last few years.

So yes if I'm guessing I don't think this change is what we had hoped.

But I'll keep an open mind. As many Journos have said time will tell if this is real change or if this is change in name only.

Let's all hope it's the former.

Should be able to tell fairly quick. Real clubs go into transfer windows with plans and execute them as quickly as possible.

We only need to go back to last summer to see a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.