Telegraph: Herrera defends Mourinho & claims players share his frustration over Man Utd's US tour

SpaceAttacker

I think this might play out like England at the world cup. Everyone is sure that by December we'll be outside the Top 4, and Jose will have been sacked following some sort of meltdown. Instead, we'll go on to generally exceed expectations, albeit losing to every side we are expected to lose against, including twice to City.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
No he won't. To be a manager you need to have strong personality. Herrera is typical player Jose like, he will do everything for him just like Matic. Remember when Jose put Matic on the pitch and sub him after 20 minutes and Matic still wanted to work with him!? That's lack of personality.
That was Mata, I assume you mean the charity shield match? You can't even get your facts right when criticisng Mourinho :lol:/

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No he won't. To be a manager you need to have strong personality. Herrera is typical player Jose like, he will do everything for him just like Matic. Remember when Jose put Matic on the pitch and sub him after 20 minutes and Matic still wanted to work with him!? That's lack of personality.
:lol:

Fosu-Mens

I'm embarrassed for anyone who thinks Jose speaks to the players the way he speaks to the media. In that respect he and Sir Alex are peas in a pod. In the dressing room they are motivators and with the press they can't hide their contempt. In return you get negative media articles like the one in early 2000s 'three games to finish Fergie' or the one which claimed Ferguson's late 90s success was mainly due to a bunch of world class youngsters being dropped into his lap in 1995.
Mourinho is known for being honest face to face, and generally liked by former players that likes honesty. Pushing the narrative that the players are unhappy because of the way he speaks to them or behaves towards them is not the way to make people believe that Mourinho has lost the dressing room.

Saying some players are unhappy due to being singled out in post-match interviews or that some players are not satisfied with the way we attack or play football is another story. And something that actually is understandable as compared to saying that Jose Mourinho is the reincarnation of Idi Amin.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Because they hate losing even in friendlies?

Would be even more pathetic if they didn't give a shit about the results.
He wasn’t complaining about losing, he was trying to shift any blame away from the team by highlighting the fact the team was comprised mostly of youngsters or fringe players.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I honestly wouldn't even call these supporters spoilt, a lot of them are just thick and believe every little slice of bullshit a verified Twitter account or journalist feeds them. Every time a new narrative is put out there, these little shites lap it up and regurgitate it all over reddit, YouTube, Facebook and Twitter and in turn the same journos who started the narrative double down on it by pointing to "supporter unrest" as proof of what they originally said – it's like a human centipede of buffoonery and the new newbie system has pulled this forum into the middle of it. That's not to say Jose and other people at the club are without fault, it's just that nothing they've done this pre-season justifies the level vitriol they've been getting from these idiots.
It's a real shame you've only posted 1734 times in 6½ years if that's the quality of your posts, no seriously......

MrPooni

It's a real shame you've only posted 1734 times in 6½ years if that's the quality of your posts, no seriously......
Cool story but your hurt feelings aside, I'm not sure what it has to do with the thread at hand or the validity of anything I said.

Member 90887

I honestly wouldn't even call these supporters spoilt, a lot of them are just thick and believe every little slice of bullshit a verified Twitter account or journalist feeds them. Every time a new narrative is put out there, these little shites lap it up and regurgitate it all over reddit, YouTube, Facebook and Twitter and in turn the same journos who started the narrative double down on it by pointing to "supporter unrest" as proof of what they originally said – it's like a human centipede of buffoonery and the new newbie system has pulled this forum into the middle of it. That's not to say Jose and other people at the club are without fault, it's just that nothing they've done this pre-season justifies the level vitriol they've been getting from these idiots.
To be fair to @MrPooni , He is spot on on his assessment of the situation, it's exactly what is happening. It's just the way he expressed himself that's a little bit over the top. he could have done without the name calling.

But all in all, getting to the cafe just to experience the type of toxicity we've been seeing here lately, at a certain point, you either come here less and less, or you eventually lose it. i find myself switching between the two depending on the mood lol.

GM K

Herrera, Shaw, Grant and Pereira.
They have all spoken positively about José these last few days and specifically to contradict some negative notions out there.
I'll rather believe them than some clueless journalists or pessimistic fans who have no idea of what is actually going on.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
Herrera is a classy lad. Always has been since the three amigos.

Shark

@NotShark
Herrera is a keeper, that’s for sure. He’s always had the right attitude, even when ability is lacking. A United player for sure.

Lentwood

I expect Jose’s point, which most seem to be missing, is that it’s pointless dragging a squad of mainly fringe players and kids 10,000 miles to play football matches against other teams of kids for the purpose of selling more shirts

Surely if the Board cared about football, Jose would be deciding where, when and who we play. But clearly they have decided selling merchandise is more important. The squad should have spent pre-season in Manchester. Would have made far more sense after a WC year

Once again people are quick to blame Jose without considering why he might be pissed off

Ronii

Mourinho is known for being honest face to face, and generally liked by former players that likes honesty. Pushing the narrative that the players are unhappy because of the way he speaks to them or behaves towards them is not the way to make people believe that Mourinho has lost the dressing room.

Saying some players are unhappy due to being singled out in post-match interviews or that some players are not satisfied with the way we attack or play football is another story. And something that actually is understandable as compared to saying that Jose Mourinho is the reincarnation of Idi Amin.
Lol "Idi Amin?" My former President was worse dude.Am a Ugandan BTW.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I expect Jose’s point, which most seem to be missing, is that it’s pointless dragging a squad of mainly fringe players and kids 10,000 miles to play football matches against other teams of kids for the purpose of selling more shirts

Surely if the Board cared about football, Jose would be deciding where, when and who we play. But clearly they have decided selling merchandise is more important. The squad should have spent pre-season in Manchester. Would have made far more sense after a WC year

Once again people are quick to blame Jose without considering why he might be pissed off
He'd still have the same squad wherever they trained which seems to be his main gripe, and both he(Mourinho)and LvG before him have said previously that the training facilities in America are the best in the World, I just think he likes moaning for the sake of it sometimes.

Revan

Assumptionman

Jose has no business on deciding (or even hearing his opinion) on where United is going to have its pre-season. And if they stayed at Manchester for pre-season, then he would have still had the same bunch of players. Taking two long flights in business class for less than 10 hours is hardly the end of the world and not something worthy to moan about.

Andersons Dietician

Thing is he has always said he likes going to America because of the facilities and pitches. I think he would probably prefer behind door games and not having to do the media stuff which he had issues with and supposedly managed to get the club to dial back what they have to do.

Sure he would love his full squad other than the rag tag bunch he has, but he has always said he likes going to the USA.

TheReligion

Abusive
Jose has no business on deciding (or even hearing his opinion) on where United is going to have its pre-season. And if they stayed at Manchester for pre-season, then he would have still had the same bunch of players. Taking two long flights in business class for less than 10 hours is hardly the end of the world and not something worthy to moan about.
Why doesn't he?

Revan

Assumptionman
Why doesn't he?
Because preseason is mostly a business decision, not a decision for the manager of the first team to make. United is a business, half of our revenue is generated from sponsorships and a lot of these sponsors come from US. The board decides where it makes sense to make the preseason based on their long term goals and how they'll think the preseason will affect club's business. For the team, it hardly matters where they play, it is mostly a fitness issue, and you can get as fit in Atlanta as in Manchester. And last time I checked, no-one gets killed for having a 10 hour flight (or less). In fact, I guess that for most of players this serves also as a kind of holiday.

TheReligion

Abusive
Because preseason is mostly a business decision, not a decision for the manager of the first team to make. United is a business, half of our revenue is generated from sponsorships and a lot of these sponsors come from US. The board decides where it makes sense to make the preseason based on their long term goals and how they'll think the preseason will affect club's business. For the team, it hardly matters where they play, it is mostly a fitness issue, and you can get as fit in Atlanta as in Manchester. And last time I checked, no-one gets killed for having a 10 hour flight (or less). In fact, I guess that for most of players this serves also as a kind of holiday.
I'm quite sure SAF had influence in this department and wasn't LvG consulted?

Id agree with what you're saying in principle but also think the first team manager should be consulted.

Revan

Assumptionman

Id agree with what you're saying in principle but also think the first team manager should be consulted.
SAF was also a long term employee of United, and the money from sponsorships were nowhere as important as it is now.

I mean that as a courtesy to the manager, it is decent to speak with him about it, and maybe incorporate some of his ideas on the plan (like how far away the hotels are, how many open sessions he want to do etc etc), but the country where the team goes for pre-season is part of a long-term strategy and not something the manager should be in charge.

99withaflake

SAF was also a long term employee of United, and the money from sponsorships were nowhere as important as it is now.

I mean that as a courtesy to the manager, it is decent to speak with him about it, and maybe incorporate some of his ideas on the plan (like how far away the hotels are, how many open sessions he want to do etc etc), but the country where the team goes for pre-season is part of a long-term strategy and not something the manager should be in charge.
Completely agree with @Revan. The manager will be consulted but told.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Bollocks. We used to go to Asia for preseason until Sir Alex realised we could no longer get away with glorified training sessions and we needed to face tougher opponents to get our players ready for every single game of the season.

ti vu

Bollocks. We used to go to Asia for preseason until Sir Alex realised we could no longer get away with glorified training sessions and we needed to face tougher opponents to get our players ready for every single game of the season.
I am sure what'going on about. SAF last pre season tour was to Asia. We occasionally played against strong teams, but not in successive manner like ICC format nor every pre season. You can check some pre season tour doesn't even feature a strong team like 05-06.

King Kana

Supports
Chelsea
The moaners are resorting to conspiracy theories now to try and maintain the negativity they seem to be hoping is within the squad.

I'm embarrassed for anyone who thinks Jose speaks to the players the way he speaks to the media. In that respect he and Sir Alex are peas in a pod. In the dressing room they are motivators and with the press they can't hide their contempt. In return you get negative media articles like the one in early 2000s 'three games to finish Fergie' or the one which claimed Ferguson's late 90s success was mainly due to a bunch of world class youngsters being dropped into his lap in 1995.

Basically, those of us who've been around a long time have seen this kind of nonsense before. However back then, we got behind the manager rather than believed what was written.
Great post.

99withaflake

I am sure what'going on about. SAF last pre season tour was to Asia. We occasionally played against strong teams, but not in successive manner like ICC format nor every pre season. You can check some pre season tour doesn't even feature a strong team like 05-06.
Ok, maybe this will help to settle your debate.

Here are the pre-season opponents from the 4 seasons that we've both won the League Title and reached the Champions League Final (so arguably our 4 most successful seasons in recent times):

1998/99
  • Birmingham City
  • Vålerenga
  • Brøndby
  • Brann
Also played a Charity Shield match against Arsenal who dicked us 3-0.

2007/08
  • FC Seoul
  • Shenzhen Xiangxue
  • Guangzhou Pharmaceutical
  • Inter Milan
  • Doncaster Rovers
  • Peterborough United
  • Glentoran
  • Dunfermline Athletic
Also played a Community Shield match against Chelsea which we won on penalties.

2008/09
  • Aberdeen
  • Kaizer Chiefs
  • Orlando Pirates
  • Kaizer Chiefs
  • Portsmouth
  • Espanyol
  • Peterborough United
  • Juventus
Also played a Community Shield match against Portsmouth which we won on penalties.

2010/11
  • Celtic
  • Philadelphia Union
  • Kansas City Wizards
  • MLS All-Stars
  • Guadalajara
  • Airtricity League 11
  • Juventus
Also played a Community Shield match against Chelsea which we won comfortably 3-1.

My suspicion is that pre-season games are about fitness, more so than facing tough opposition to prepare for the season, with the more recent series of matches against massive global clubs being a marketing and PR exercise.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The moaners are resorting to conspiracy theories now to try and maintain the negativity they seem to be hoping is within the squad.

Basically, those of us who've been around a long time have seen this kind of nonsense before. However back then, we got behind the manager rather than believed what was written.
These days it's not even what was written, fans can make up their own story based on a simple "I Don't know"

Basically anything Jose says, any smirk, any body movement can be used as a stick to beat him. It's amazing how much of our fans hated that guy in here, I'm starting to wear my tin foil hat and that RAWK has 200 sleepers account in here and executed order 66

Micky Targaryen

Agreed 100%.

Marcky411

Well what would you expect from Herrera, to speak his mind to the press. He too knows if he doesn't brown nose Jose a bit in the media he will warm the bench for another season.
Surprise Herrera, as soon as Pogba returns and Matic is fit you will be joining us fans on the sidelines cheering Utd on.

klsv

Well what would you expect from Herrera, to speak his mind to the press. He too knows if he doesn't brown nose Jose a bit in the media he will warm the bench for another season.
Surprise Herrera, as soon as Pogba returns and Matic is fit you will be joining us fans on the sidelines cheering Utd on.
You a City supporter or a scouser? Because if you're an United fan then you are one sad feck :lol:

9 Stone Elvis

The thing is no one used to care about pre-season but now its on subscription tv and the matches are being built up as though the result is really terribly important when in reality it isn't. That said you don't want to be humped by one of your rivals but 10/15/20 years ago we wouldn't have been playing Liverpool in the first place. PL teams playing each other in "glamour" friendlies all round the world is good for the bank balance but it really seems more trouble than its worth.

I actually miss the days when all you knew of a pre-season game was the result in the paper and no one saw a match on tv until the charity shield. The club could prepare in peace and not be judged until the season actually started.

Bah humbug and Mourinho out etc....

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Sky did. Was quite a positive article actually. Praised Mata, Herrera and Sanchez for their attacking play and for their pre season form along with Andreas, and called Fred's performance 'faultless'. They were even sympathetic to the concerns expressed by Jose. Refreshing to see.
I refuse to believe this. Link?!

GM K

I think this might play out like England at the world cup. Everyone is sure that by December we'll be outside the Top 4, and Jose will have been sacked following some sort of meltdown. Instead, we'll go on to generally exceed expectations, albeit losing to every side we are expected to lose against, including twice to City.
In the last two seasons, we have split wins in our head to head against City in all competitions. This season will probably not be different.