Ten Hag | First MUTV Interview (10am BST) | Press Conference (12pm BST)

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Seems like a lot of optimism has dissolved in this thread already.

I thought his PC was very good and guarded, of course he isn't going to give anything away or so too much before speaking with staff and players this week or so. I can't wait to see him properly get started, will make a change watching a team trying to play to a system instead of just trying things on a whim.
Password protected and uses kaspersky along with NORDVPN: The hottest VPN on the market, protect your data now for only £5.99 a year when you use the code HORSECHOKER

evil_geko

Says the guy that can’t stand Ole and won’t give him even the smallest bit of credit. Your attitude would be noble if it wasn’t entirely hypocritical.
Can't stand Ole? Bullshit, I love Ole, but that doesn't make me blind to his managerial deficiencies, but you can't understand that eh? It is either Love Ole and praise everything he does or total contrast to that, typical Caf. Also, Ole had years and transfer windows to be judged, you would be mental to compare their time at the club. And hypocritical? :lol: Bloody hell people, you are something else.

Waynne

“You’re sure” ok then that’s that settled.

Ten Hag made comments dating back to the weekend after Ole was fired where he changed his tone and suddenly started talking about making his decision at the end of the season. Ralf wasn’t involved with the club at that stage. The initial makes it seem as if there was already open dialogue between the club and Erik, again, Ralf was sat twiddling his thumbs in Moscow at this stage.

There is literally nothing to suggest that Ralf was involved in the selection of a manager aside Ralf saying he’ll make a recommendation when he first joined. He is just as likely to have recommended Terry Tibbs as he is Erik ten Hag. Much less that Ralf had some important final say, he genuinely might have said Erik, but it wasn’t his decision to make. Murtough and Fletcher brought him in, while Ralf was too busy being the literal worst manager United have ever seen.
Ok point taken.
At least you took to try to explain your reasoning (and I respect that) and not like some other members who post a one worded response, something which I don't quite understand in this forum.

Flexdegea

I saw the interview and I was like ok but after the conference I have to say I'm not happy. Sorry. I want to be positive but honestly he was a sht show.
1) Keeps saying we have a good squad and we came second etc.
2) Asked about transfers - its up to the club but I look forward to working with them
3) Asked what style of football he wants. He says you have seen Ajax. I like that but the players have to feel comfortable and play i their positions etc
4) Asked about Rangnick. He said he will talk to a lot of people and make his own decisions. So no one gives a fk about Rangnick basically.
5) Asked about Maguire and said he will make that decision but Maguire is a great player and has achieved a lot etc

People will say yeah but what did you expect him to say. I expected a bit more umph. For example - It was a bad season and we know we need to improve. I demand big improvements and everyone works hard and together. We will play fast attacking football. I expect high pressing and high workrate. We are losing many players and we need really good replacements that I have identified. I respect Ralf and will talk extensively with him and work with him on the implementation of the plan. etc Thats just an example of being more direct and forceful without being an arse. It can be done.

Basically he just comes across as a yes man. He did not rock the boat or do anything to indicate big changes. Just wants to implement a plan and work all together. Also comes across as soft and just happy to be here. I hope Im wrong and he has a backbone because if he continues like this its player power, Oleball and McFred for next season.

Jesus Christ this place, honestly with so many of our fans have this chain of thought wee don't deserve any sort of good times to come to us. Frightening post

UpWithRivers

Jesus Christ this place, honestly with so many of our fans have this chain of thought wee don't deserve any sort of good times to come to us. Frightening post
Or some people are playing the band when the ship just hit an iceburg and some of us are like 'Hey why dont we just acknowledge that the fkn ship is half way into the Atlantic?' Oh but your so negative. Think of all the beautiful fishies. No thats not negative. Its called realism. And what you are doing is not positivity. its being delusional. That doesnt mean I dont want or think we can get out but lets at least stop pretending we're not sunk.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Or some people are playing the band when the ship just hit an iceburg and some of us are like 'Hey why dont we just acknowledge that the fkn ship is half way into the Atlantic?' Oh but your so negative. Think of all the beautiful fishies. No thats not negative. Its called realism. And what you are doing is not positivity. its being delusional. That doesnt mean I dont want or think we can get out but lets at least stop pretending we're not sunk.
Good god fella, take a time out. We’ve had our worst season in decades and we’ve finished 6th. Our squad fell apart, our confidence plummeted, we sacked our manager and our star boy turned out to be an utter scum bag and was rightly arrested. Anything and everything that could go wrong did, and we are 6th. We still have a chance of a European trophy next season, we have a new manager with some pedigree and history of success who by hook or by crook is determined to get to the top. He is supported by a DOF who has his back and a CEO who is putting right the mistakes of the past. Hell, even the owners are talking to us now! This club is far from finished. It’s on its way back up from rock bottom, which by the way is 6th.
If you can’t give ETH your backing after 5 mins in the job, maybe this isn’t the sport for you. Look forwards and enjoy the ride - it’s a big day tomorrow….

Gavinb33

I'm referring to His constant mention that this team came 2nd a year ago.

He thinks the current players are good enough... he is wrong & will fall on the sword if left to that belief.

Last season Liverpool were still a miles better team than United yet we finished above them. Spurs were probably a better team as were Chelsea.

United had luck & a crazy ability to win away from home. Doesn't mean we were ultimately better, it was purely circumstances that put us in that position, not the quality of the team vs others.
He is just trying to the build the players up that are staying reminding them they can get to a level, if results even mirror that team we make top 3 easily this season.

I read the comments on here and think what are you guys on he isn't going to come in and remind all the players they have been shit for a year and cannot get to the level he needs, some of these players will be around for the next 3 years we aren't going to replace the while squad in 3 windows so he needs them to play and believe in him.

UpWithRivers

Good god fella, take a time out. We’ve had our worst season in decades and we’ve finished 6th. Our squad fell apart, our confidence plummeted, we sacked our manager and our star boy turned out to be an utter scum bag and was rightly arrested. Anything and everything that could go wrong did, and we are 6th. We still have a chance of a European trophy next season, we have a new manager with some pedigree and history of success who by hook or by crook is determined to get to the top. He is supported by a DOF who has his back and a CEO who is putting right the mistakes of the past. Hell, even the owners are talking to us now! This club is far from finished. It’s on its way back up from rock bottom, which by the way is 6th.
If you can’t give ETH your backing after 5 mins in the job, maybe this isn’t the sport for you. Look forwards and enjoy the ride - it’s a big day tomorrow….
Whoooooo calm down there negative nelly. And you hate Ten Haag after 2 minutes. Shiiiiiiit. Maybe take a walk get some air. Breaaaaathhhhheeee

klsv

So what went wrong for Ten Hag at United? Started off great, but then refused to start throwing players under the bus during his first press conference. English was shit and he wore the same suit for like a week. Sad it didn't work out for him here but wish all the best for where ever he ends up at.

Flexdegea

Already been labelled a 'yes man'. Brilliant, what a support.

"Yes man" been the worse term thrown about on this forum since Fergie went.

People just throw it in and have no clue what it means or what the definition of it is. Some say it because the manager hasnt said the Glazer's are clowns, other use it because of the failing on the pitch whether it be players of the managers, it just gets fired about, now Hag might be a yes man because he didn't go nuclear on the players at the press conference.

romufc

He is just trying to the build the players up that are staying reminding them they can get to a level, if results even mirror that team we make top 3 easily this season.

I read the comments on here and think what are you guys on he isn't going to come in and remind all the players they have been shit for a year and cannot get to the level he needs, some of these players will be around for the next 3 years we aren't going to replace the while squad in 3 windows so he needs them to play and believe in him.
For some fans this isn't good enough, after a bad season, you need to replace the whole squad.

Why would a manager who hasn't met the players, seen them train, throw them under the bus? It would make 0 sense.

At the end of the day, who's to say its not the coaching and tactics which was the problem? Its the managers job to make the team compact and hard working.

Look at Newcastle for example. They were shocking first half in games, a change of coach and tactics, they look a complete different outfit.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
So what went wrong for Ten Hag at United? Started off great, but then refused to start throwing players under the bus during his first press conference. English was shit and he wore the same suit for like a week. Sad it didn't work out for him here but wish all the best for where ever he ends up at.
:(

Speako

Look he’s not absolutely bouncing full of personality, and his grasp of English will be hampering him a little. But I’m absolutely fine with that. Pep is hardly a stand up during his conferences, and Van Gaal had plenty to say but look at the morose tosh he served up on the pitch. I’ll be happy with the opposite this time thanks.

Grande

I saw the interview and I was like ok but after the conference I have to say I'm not happy. Sorry. I want to be positive but honestly he was a sht show.
2) Asked about transfers - its up to the club but I look forward to working with them
3) Asked what style of football he wants. He says you have seen Ajax. I like that but the players have to feel comfortable and play i their positions etc
4) Asked about Rangnick. He said he will talk to a lot of people and make his own decisions. So no one gives a fk about Rangnick basically.
5) Asked about Maguire and said he will make that decision but Maguire is a great player and has achieved a lot etc

People will say yeah but what did you expect him to say. I expected a bit more umph. For example - It was a bad season and we know we need to improve. I demand big improvements and everyone works hard and together. We will play fast attacking football. I expect high pressing and high workrate. We are losing many players and we need really good replacements that I have identified. I respect Ralf and will talk extensively with him and work with him on the implementation of the plan. etc Thats just an example of being more direct and forceful without being an arse. It can be done.

Basically he just comes across as a yes man. He did not rock the boat or do anything to indicate big changes. Just wants to implement a plan and work all together. Also comes across as soft and just happy to be here. I hope Im wrong and he has a backbone because if he continues like this its player power, Oleball and McFred for next season.
He basically said every sentence that you wanted him to say, apart from one: He didn’’t say ‘I’m going to identify the new targets’. This is in line with what Rangnik said: This mess is a result of five managers coming in and picking their players, instead of having a DoF and recruting team identifying players based on a long term vision. If you want him to listen to Rangnik, he said exactly what you should want him to hear.

What it comes down to is you want more ‘omph’ and want him to ‘come across’ differently in a presser, regardless of what he says. This is at the level of Daily Mail sending a ‘body language expert’.

Calling it a ‘shit show’ ‘comes across’ as hysteric.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
I expected to see ten Haag being criticised after about 6 months, probably less by the Negative Nellie's on here, but after 15 minutes???? Of a press conference???? That takes some doing. Some of you lot would have had Sir Alex out after a year. I am excited as to what is to come. I am willing to give the new manager time. Quite rightly he said this same bunch came 2nd not long ago. If he can instil that lost confidence, a willi guess to work hard, he'll do for me

Real Name

How I wish he'd be a huge success and rub it in the faces of those clowns who call themselves journalists.

Real Name

Did you really just analyse his first presser like this?

Madness.

choccy77

Im really positive about Hag, but we can all see how shite our players are compared to other top 6.

Makes him sound silly when he says this group are top 2 quality

.Phil1968

I'm actually quite optimistic about the future for the first time in ages. Weve got a proven winner at a good age who should have the time he needs to change the team completely. We all know the team is shite so even just competing in games next season is better than anything weve seen in this campaign.

romufc

Im really positive about Hag, but we can all see how shite our players are compared to other top 6.

Makes him sound silly when he says this group are top 2 quality
Not really.

Arsenal's team is quite shit actually.

Spurs team isnt all that either

Chelsea team is losing 2 key CB's

A really bad season is what we had, we still have players who should be good enough.

Real Name

I dont know what people expected. That he'll come and say you lot are worst of the worst, noone is good, I'll been about 15 players and the rest should fear the axe every day, Ralf you're not good at anything, maybe I'll say hi to you over zoom every 2 weeks, club is shit, players are shit, board is shit.

UpWithRivers

He basically said every sentence that you wanted him to say, apart from one: He didn’’t say ‘I’m going to identify the new targets’. This is in line with what Rangnik said: This mess is a result of five managers coming in and picking their players, instead of having a DoF and recruting team identifying players based on a long term vision. If you want him to listen to Rangnik, he said exactly what you should want him to hear.

What it comes down to is you want more ‘omph’ and want him to ‘come across’ differently in a presser, regardless of what he says. This is at the level of Daily Mail sending a ‘body language expert’.

Calling it a ‘shit show’ ‘comes across’ as hysteric.
Did you really just analyse his first presser like this?

Madness.
I would like to apologize to everyone on this thread for having an opinion that was anything other than positive. I now realize that forums are for positive opinions only and there is nothing wrong at United and Ten Haag can never do anything wrong. Onwards and upwards. Title next year guaranteed. I love you all. Kiss kiss. Unicorns and marshmallows.

Real Name

I would like to apologize to everyone on this thread for having an opinion that was anything other than positive. I now realize that forums are for positive opinions only and there is nothing wrong at United and Ten Haag can never do anything wrong. Onwards and upwards. Title next year guaranteed. I love you all. Kiss kiss. Unicorns and marshmallows.
That's more like it. Cheers.

Remember the geese

Nice that you've seen sense. Personal growth.

Grande

This comes across as even more hysteric. And melodramatic. You have gotten about a hundred counter arguments. You don’t answer them, it looks as if you ignore most of what Ten Hag actually said and what posters disagreeing with you actually said, in favor of a feeling that you are the one sane person on Titanic and everyone are delusional. It would seem more convincing if you in fact had arguments and they where linked more closely to reality.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
See, was that so hard?

justsomebloke

Or when a manager that doesnt say what we enjoy hearing like Mourinho isnt a relevant measure. Or a manager that is nice as ice cream - Ole isnt a relevant measure. Or any of them. Whats the point of the pressers then. Ignore them and this forum.
The point with pressers is to avoid having a negative impact on how your team performs, and if possible achieve a positive impact on how your team performs. That matters. And that's not the same thing as whether you or I like what we're hearing. Personally I loved reading RRs comments at pressers and mostly agreed with them, but I also think he was pretty stupid to make them and that they very likely had a negative impact on the team's performance.

Infra-red

He's trying to boost morale.
Indeed. If he'd said that the team is dreadful, most of the players purchased in the last five years aren't up to it and we'll do well to finish above 5th next season, it would be something of a downer (even though it's the truth).

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what he says in public, it matters what he says and does on the training pitch. He's a very talented coach - far better than Rangnick or Solskjaer. With time and proper backing, he'll do well.

Last edited:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
:lol:

UpWithRivers

This comes across as even more hysteric. And melodramatic. You have gotten about a hundred counter arguments. You don’t answer them, it looks as if you ignore most of what Ten Hag actually said and what posters disagreeing with you actually said, in favor of a feeling that you are the one sane person on Titanic and everyone are delusional. It would seem more convincing if you in fact had arguments and they where linked more closely to reality.
I've replied to loads of posts. I cant do them all. I already apologized. I agree with what everyone is saying. You just come from a different perspective. If this was a presser for his first Arsenal job or any other team I would agree. Good job. But its been 10 years of sht. I cant for one see otherwise. You can call it delusional and maybe I am. Maybe this season wasnt that bad and the last 10 years ok. Maybe top 4 is a good achievement next year and we should all be happy. I just dont see it that way. Im sorry. I want heads to roll and dramatic changes and I want our new manager to acknowledge that. I cant see any other top club or company or anyone at the top to act otherwise after collapsing from the very top. But thats just me. I see I am in the minority so Ill shut up

Uniquim

Quite optimistic about this guy tbh. I find it fairly easy to buy into anyone who wants to change. I'm optimistic about the number of changes behind the scenes recently too.
What he have achieved at Ajax is nothing short of amazing, and he built two different sides there whilst sustaining a solid level of success and continuously losing key players to bigger clubs. Also sounds by his media appearances so far, and from Ajax fans that he have a great mindset and works tirelessly.

I'm not expecting the first season to be that great too be honest, expecting it'll be mediocre at best, because we're in a sorry state, and have been for a while.
I hope the board back him, and that he's given time. I don't think there are any better options for the managerial role at the moment. I'm all in with Ten Hag.
Let's turn this shitshow around.

BarstoolProphet

I think some of you need to go on holiday and come back refreshed in June...
We go on holiday when ETH does.

But seriously, I actually liked that comment from ETH on his players where he said that he will wait until they are back before talking to them, giving them time to reflect instead of analyzing the shitshow of a season straight away. Could be an option on here aswell. But then we might miss a muppet train or two ...