Ten Hag | First MUTV Interview (10am BST) | Press Conference (12pm BST)

padzilla

Hipster
I would much rather Ten Hag protect the players from the media and then quietly sell them on if he doesn't want to work with them, rather than come out like Mourinho or Ragnick and throw them under the bus to keep face.

Guardiola famously said Claudio Bravo was the best goalkeeper in the world when he was getting slated, kept the morale in the squad high and then ruthlessly replaced him with Ederson in the next transfer window.

Grande

I've replied to loads of posts. I cant do them all. I already apologized. I agree with what everyone is saying. You just come from a different perspective. If this was a presser for his first Arsenal job or any other team I would agree. Good job. But its been 10 years of sht. I cant for one see otherwise. You can call it delusional and maybe I am. Maybe this season wasnt that bad and the last 10 years ok. Maybe top 4 is a good achievement next year and we should all be happy. I just dont see it that way. Im sorry. I want heads to roll and dramatic changes and I want our new manager to acknowledge that. I cant see any other top club or company or anyone at the top to act otherwise after collapsing from the very top. But thats just me. I see I am in the minority so Ill shut up
It would at least help if you would refrain from putting words in other’s mouths.

I for one am not asking you to shut up. I haven’t called you delusional (you called others delusional). I do think this season was terrible. I don’t think the last ten years have been ok. I do want a lot of changes.

What I don’t want is more of the same: I don’t want a CEO with no football knowledge chopping and changing the managers on a whim every other year, letting them identify players, buying five fairly random players every fourth window to placate fans’ emotions and the media’s sense of drama.

So I ask myself, if I want something other than that, how is that going to look?

If I were to ask you - given your view that we have been a ten year ongoing collapse and now are at our worst so far: What kind of changes and steps would you realistically implement if you were CEO as of tomorrow? What goal would you deem realistic for this up and coming season based on our current situation? And how would you, as CEO, want a new manager to talk about the club and players on his first press conference, on the way to achieving those goals?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I've replied to loads of posts. I cant do them all. I already apologized. I agree with what everyone is saying. You just come from a different perspective. If this was a presser for his first Arsenal job or any other team I would agree. Good job. But its been 10 years of sht. I cant for one see otherwise. You can call it delusional and maybe I am. Maybe this season wasnt that bad and the last 10 years ok. Maybe top 4 is a good achievement next year and we should all be happy. I just dont see it that way. Im sorry. I want heads to roll and dramatic changes and I want our new manager to acknowledge that. I cant see any other top club or company or anyone at the top to act otherwise after collapsing from the very top. But thats just me. I see I am in the minority so Ill shut up
1)Arnold the new CEO has left all footballing matters to John Murtough. Since then there has been swift and drastic changes to our set up over the past 2 months. We've lost head scouts and the chief contract negotiator, various other back room staff have also left. ALL footballing matters lay at the feet of John Murtough.

2) Why on earth would the new manager acknowledge something that has happened before his employment. Why would he mention backroom staff he didn't even get the chance to even meet. Highly unprofessional to call them out.

So what is it you exactly want?

downunder red

Or some people are playing the band when the ship just hit an iceburg and some of us are like 'Hey why dont we just acknowledge that the fkn ship is half way into the Atlantic?' Oh but your so negative. Think of all the beautiful fishies. No thats not negative. Its called realism. And what you are doing is not positivity. its being delusional. That doesnt mean I dont want or think we can get out but lets at least stop pretending we're not sunk.
Listen mate, just calm down. Put your hands together, take a deep breath and say AAAGHOOOM AAAGHOOOM. Repeat 10 times and go to bed.

cafecillos

Just one press conference and already some "fans" in here having a proper meltdown. It's pathetic. So many journos and "fans" so blatantly wishing he failed from day 0. His job is going to be even harder than I thought.

Withnail

Didn't the club bring Ralf in on the basis that he will be consultant? I'm sure he's had a say in identifying the next manager after his interim spell unless I missed a piece of news that says otherwise. Care to post a link to such an article?

I never quite understand the reasons for posting like this. If you disagree, fine but at least add a bit of context as to why you disagree.

These one worded responses don't encourage any dialogue.
We don't look for proof that things didn't happen. You're making assumptions about Ralf's role in choosing the new manager. There's no reason to believe he was involved in any capacity.

Withnail

The knives are already out in the media. Yesterday Simon Jordan and danny murphy said they weren't impressed. Neil Custis from the sun also said the same thing. They're all just waiting for him to fail!
Well I'm sure the feeling is mutual. I've never been impressed by anything Danny Murphy or Simon Jordan have done or said.

1) The squad is decent to good. - No its not. Its the worst team we have ever had when you add up performances, results AND the dressing room unrest. Have you just watched our season or not? We downed tools! Its a fking sht show. A disaster. There are no words for how bad it is. Why is it only me thats not forgetting this? Its like everyone has collective amnesia. Ok so you can say 'oh but we got second' and 'oh but we have some top players' and excuse after excuse. But lets base our assessment on where we are at now. Its sht. Terrible. Crap. Why lie? Yeah I get he cant come out and say that we are crap and an embarrassment but you can still say it as it is. We had a bad season. We are capable if a lot more and we need to work a lot harder. Why cant you say that instead of saying that we are good. We are not good at this moment.

2) Its up to the club but again when you are so fkn sht you demand a response. Conte, Mourinho all top managers demand action on transfers especially when you are a dumpster fire. Again sure you can give a wishy washy response. 'Oh transfers are a difficult process. You know its the club that needs time' and blah blah blah. Or you can say 'We are losing 10 players. it is imperative that we target players early and get the right players in that want to play for United. I am working on that as a priority with the team' etc See the difference?

3) The players need to feel comfortable - but in Ten Haags system. We should not accommodate any player. We should not change systems to fit the players. The players fit the system. End of. Why say the should feel comfortable? What does that even mean except if you dont like what I tell you then we can do it your way. I mean wtf? Why even get Ten Haag if he is going to do what the players say

4) It means we start from scratch - AGAIN! We give everyone a 5th, 6th, 7th chance. That means we write off next season while Ten Haag figures out the bad eggs. it means everything

5) Again I expect him not to praise anyone that's a fkn pile of sht. Just don't say it. Its easy - 'I will decide my captain in the coming weeks' Is that hard?

posts are turning this forum into RAWK. - The posts are turning into delusion and collective amnesia if that's what you mean. For me I haven't forgotten what those fkn players did this season and tell the truth without being delusional.

The last brave beacon of truth in a world of deluded fools. Maybe one day the scales will lift from their eyes. We can but hope.

Last edited:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I'm not expecting the first season to be that great too be honest, expecting it'll be mediocre at best, because we're in a sorry state, and have been for a while.
I hope the board back him, and that he's given time. I don't think there are any better options for the managerial role at the moment. I'm all in with Ten Hag.
Let's turn this shitshow around.
If he can grab top four this coming season I will be impressed. I won't be judging him at all until next season.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Im really positive about Hag, but we can all see how shite our players are compared to other top 6.

Makes him sound silly when he says this group are top 2 quality
Our players are not shite! This myth needs to die.
Our squad is poorly constructed, so that it doesn’t perform to the sum of it’s parts. It’s not built to an overarching philosophy so not all players play the same way and our recent managers have had wildly contrasting styles again muddling the overall objective. You wouldn’t argue that Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane have weakened our squad.
Erik can see players that he can use to suit his system and will obviously replace those who do not. 3-4 new players in the correct positions to suit his playing style see us comfortably top 4 next term. There is a hint of new manager saying the right things to suit his players and the fans but we are certainly not the disaster area many would have you believe (talent wise at least. Attitude is another issue!)

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Our players are not shite! This myth needs to die.
Our squad is poorly constructed, so that it doesn’t perform to the sum of it’s parts. It’s not built to an overarching philosophy so not all players play the same way and our recent managers have had wildly contrasting styles again muddling the overall objective.
Totally correct. It's the team that's shite.

darioterios

I mean it's partly your fault for providing the link which many will click and that gives the stupid trash of a newspaper the hope that such news articles work and the cycle continues.
I trust the Caf's self-restraint.

didz

He seems to have a healthy disdain for the media - he clearly feels he has better things to do with his time, which is absolutely right.

Rangnick used the pressroom to fire shots at everyone and their mother, because he just wants to watch the world burn. Ole used it to lay on the nostalgia, so we could party like it's 1999. Mourinho used it to deflect blame, so we all knew he was the exhalted Special One.

This guy just gets through the questions, gives little away and keeps it brief, and personally I find that encouraging. I don't want a manager who tries to be "pally pally" for the cameras so he gets an easier ride when the football is shit and the results don't go our way.

mu4c_20le

Im really positive about Hag, but we can all see how shite our players are compared to other top 6.

Makes him sound silly when he says this group are top 2 quality
Yep, he sounds silly.

Internet fans 1
ETH 0