Tennis 2021

Dan_F

We will see. Nadal looked shot tonight at the end, it was too much. But Djoko looks in incredible physical form to be honest, so we will see how many time it will last.
He does. He’ll more than likely lose consistency over the next couple of years, but his mentality could easily see him keep picking up grand slams past then.

Redfrog

That was incredible tennis. The twists and turns every game were insane.

Dont think I'll see another epic battle like that. This really was out of this world tennis.

Novak is making himself even stronger mentally. Didn't think this was possible!
Yes, best game I have seen. Every points was like my god, how he did that, both players were incredible. They were breaking each other every games, that was crazy.
But I think you can have a battle like that only on clay as the ball is slow and you can run for hours to win a point.
I played on it a lot when I was young and I love it so much !

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
If Tsitsipas doesn't do a Wawrinka on Djokovic than this could indeed turn out to be the match that people look back to regarding the goat question. Crazy high level from him, unlike 2015 Nadal wasn't injured and these first 3 sets were incredible.
Would never have thought this before the match as I didn't even think Djokovic had looked that outstanding so far but he really was up for it.

Redfrog

He does. He’ll more than likely lose consistency over the next couple of years, but his mentality could easily see him keep picking up grand slams past then.
Yes it is a mental thing, every player would have lost it when the game started but Novak is at the top for so long and can keep belief.

He can do a Federer in few years and just play a bit to win some Grand Slam. And Wimbledon is a title for old players after all as you don’t have to run much !

Redfrog

If Tsitsipas doesn't do a Wawrinka on Djokovic than this could indeed turn out to be the match that people look back to regarding the goat question. Crazy high level from him, unlike 2015 Nadal wasn't injured and these first 3 sets were incredible.
Would never have thought this before the match as I didn't even think Djokovic had looked that outstanding so far but he really was up for it.
I don’t think he will. I think tsitsipas is good but Novak and Nadal showed tonight that they are at another level.

Redfrog

Didn't watch it but well played Novak, sounded like a cracker. Assuming he wins the final, I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up with the most majors and goes down as the GOAT.
I don’t like the Goat thing. The three of them are incredible TBH.
Never seen a player as class as Federer, no one was as talented as him.
Nadal is the goat on clay. Nobody will match him at RG. He just seemed impossible to beat for so long. Won it 13 times, it’s out of this world. Best defender ever.
And Djoko is just a born winner, so complet. Physical, intelligent and incredible mental strength (you can say the last about Nadal as well).

So at the end it is about what you like the most.
I like Djoko the most but because I was born in Yougoslavia like him, so I am not objective.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
That's it, Nadal will never win a slam again. Federer has a slight chance at Wimbledon, but Djokovic will easily end up as the GOAT.

wr8_utd

:'(
Credit to Djokovic. I've always said he'll be GOAT and it'll be furhter confirmed once/if he wins on Sunday.

As for Nadal, like I've been saying all clay season, I'm not remotely surprised. He's played some of the worst clay court tennis of his life this year and he's been completely incapable of putting together three sets of quality tennis. Despite that though, he's going to look back at this match as a chance lost. The horror volley in the TB, the huge double faults (issue for the last 3 matches) and then not being aggressive enough on SP in the third.

wr8_utd

That's it, Nadal will never win a slam again. Federer has a slight chance at Wimbledon, but Djokovic will easily end up as the GOAT.
Djoko ending up as GOAT has been fairly inevitable for ages really. It was always a matter of time. Good chance we enter USO with all 3 on 20 Slams.

Supports
Barcelona
All this G.O.A.T talk again. it's never accurate, and it never will be.
Plus stats don't capture the whole thing....What are Maradona stats compared to many, many other players?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
As a grand slam winner? Maybe but as the greatest ever? He doesn’t hold a candle to RF. simply the most beautiful, stylish, graceful player ever to Grace the game. And he played everything single handed, none of this double handed back hand shit.

LDUred

On the only other two occasion Rafa has been defeated, the winner has gone on to lose the final.

Djoko will have painful memories of losing to Stan in 2015 and also be aware of Soderling losing to Fed in 2009.

It's far from over yet.

saivet

As a grand slam winner? Maybe but as the greatest ever? He doesn’t hold a candle to RF. simply the most beautiful, stylish, graceful player ever to Grace the game. And he played everything single handed, none of this double handed back hand shit.
This is a joke, right?

wr8_utd

I love how Grand Slams won used to be the GOAT metric but the minute both Nadal and Djokovic started catching up to him, people have been trying to change the goal posts. "Elegance, grace"

Shiva87

Same here. Played only clay court tennis as a kid. Love a sliding down the line forehand.

Inigo Montoya

I love how Grand Slams won used to be the GOAT metric but the minute both Nadal and Djokovic started catching up to him, people have been trying to change the goal posts. "Elegance, grace"
TBF it’s a personal thing but for me it never has.
Novak may be the greatest champion but Roger will be the greatest player.
I think we can all live with that

Skills

Snitch
TBF it’s a personal thing but for me it never has.
Novak may be the greatest champion but Roger will be the greatest player.
I think we can all live with that
By what metric? He's now got the weakest claim of the 3 by all metrics that actually matter.

Redfrog

Federer is the most talented player I have never seen sure but you are just being snobbish here mate.
Tennis is not just about that. It’s the most mental
game I know an it’s also physical and technical.

I have a friend like you who just love Federer because of all his style and talent.

I see much more in tennis, I admire Rafa as well as what he does on clay is incredible. Best ever defensive player.
Djoko is ace as well and it’s not as he is not talented. He is a very stylish player too and more complet then Federer I think.

Federer would never have delivered a performance as Djoko tonight on clay and it was one of the most beautiful game I have seen ! You need two fighters on the ground for that.

Inigo Montoya

By what metric? He's now got the weakest claim of the 3 by all metrics that actually matter.
That’s the problem these days. Too many people using terms like metrics etc.
I just go on what I’ve been watching since around 1968. When Rod Laver won back to back grand slams of grand slams I never thought I’d see the like, and that was with a two year gap where pros weren’t allowed to play. But then players did emerge who simply looked better.

You can argue all you like about the 3 that have dominated tennis for the last 16/17 years but for me Federer is the best I’ve seen. And nothing is going to change it

Inigo Montoya

Federer is the most talented player I have never seen sure but you are just being snobbish here mate.
Tennis is not just about that. It’s the most mental
game I know an it’s also physical and technical.

I have a friend like you who just love Federer because of all his style and talent.

I see much more in tennis, I admire Rafa as well as what he does on clay is incredible. Best ever defensive player.
Djoko is ace as well and it’s not as he is not talented. He is a very stylish player too and more complet then Federer I think.

Federer would never have delivered a performance as Djoko tonight on clay and it was one of the most beautiful game I have seen ! You need two fighters on the ground for that.
You’re right, my only argument is from a standpoint of being a snob :lol:
I’ll live with it

Redfrog

It's the only point of debate people will have to still try and hang on to Federer as GOAT if and once he's overtaken by Novak and Rafa.
I get people loving Federer no matter what, as he is the most talented and stylish player for sure but I don’t agree with them.

Federer would have won more if he wasn’t so mentally weak at younger age. But the mental is the name of the game in tennis and every pundit understand it. You need to have the ability to finish in decisive moments and not crumble when it matters.

I think it’s good to have the three of them contesting as they are very different players and very admirable on their own terms.

Novak is the most complet I think. Not as good attacker as Federer, not as good defender as Nadal, but he is doing both at very high level which makes him the best and he will surpass both in trophies on Grand Slam. He has even a chance to do the Grand Slam this year ! What an incredible feat it will be !

Redfrog

You’re right, my only argument is from a standpoint of being a snob :lol:
I’ll live with it
No offense, I get what you say, he is the most pleasing player on the eyes sure.
I just don’t think it’s just about that.
Don’t you think the game tonight was outstanding ?

Inigo Montoya

No offense, I get what you say, he is the most pleasing player on the eyes sure.
I just don’t think it’s just about that.
Don’t you think the game tonight was outstanding ?
Not as good as some in the past. Nadal is on the decline but I’ve lost interest since the epic Wimbledon final with Federer. Never will see a match like it.
Tonight once ND won the second, it was inevitable

AshRK

Exactly

All 3 have a claim to GOAT

There will always be variables

but what everyone can agree on, is how lucky, how truly lucky we are to witness an era where we have the 3 greatest of All time in one go

Matches like these are special special moments not just in tennis, but in the world of sport, this is excellence in it finest form
Exactly. Three great players who we fans are privileged to watch. People can debate forever on who is the great but it will lead to nowhere as there is no perfect answer.

I am a huge federer mark but even I have become fans of other two as well. I think fans should go past this GOAT argument now.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It would be incredible (and fitting) for them all to tie up on 20, but I think Novak will finish a few ahead, unless he picks up an injury somewhere.

I’m not really sure I can see Nadal or Novak playing on into their late 30s. But then again, I thought Nadal would be done by now given his playing style.

And the youngsters probably have their best shot at the US Open.
Yeah, the Fed v Novak Wimbledon where Fed had a Championship Point he couldn't capitalize on, is looming large right about now. I think Fed will make a final push at Wimby this year then probably call it quits after the US, so barring the unexpected, I expect Novak to sail past both Fed and Rafa on slams over the next 12 months.

AshRK

Fitness wise I feel Djokovic is here to stay. Federer I feel is done. Nadal may have another year in him but you could see age catching upto him as well.

Redfrog

Not as good as some in the past. Nadal is on the decline but I’ve lost interest since the epic Wimbledon final with Federer. Never will see a match like it.
I prefer the game on clay to be honest. I like a good fight ! And I am French, so RG edge it for me in style of play. I like the endless running.

Nadal was tired at the end of the game but otherwise he was phenomenal all game. And Djoko too !

giggs-beckham

Clueless
In terms of slams they're all going to be close. And as others have said it's about personal taste, but for me Federer is the best all round player I've ever seen. And I'd put Rafa 2nd, they are more WOW than Novak whom I respect so much. He's the best competitor I've ever seen in any sport, a phenomenon and is so hard to get past, and his return is on another level. But Federer is an artist and represents what I love in sport be it football or tennis.
I remember a game years ago and the commentator said its like your witnessing greatness. I remember the first time I saw him in Wimbledon in his first win and you could tell this was a different player to anything we'd seen before. And I was a fan of Roddick back then so was cheering him on. Everything was laser like accuracy and the movement from side to side was like he was gliding on air. The whole stadium sweating in the sun and the only one not was Roger, pure grace pure sporting art. For me the GOAT for those reasons even if he has a small amount of majors fewer than the other two.

Redfrog

Exactly. Three great players who we fans are privileged to watch. People can debate forever on who is the great but it will lead to nowhere as there is no perfect answer.

I am a huge federer mark but even I have become fans of other two as well. I think fans should go past this GOAT argument now.
Exactly, all three are admirable in their own right.
Younger I admired Federer more but know I like just as much the determination of the other two.
We will never see a player dominate a grand slam tournament as Rafa did, it’s just incredible. And Djoko is so complete it’s incredible.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
What a ridiculous statement. The third set was incredible tennis and could have gone either way. I could understand you saying it after the third set but definitely not inevitable after the second set.

As for the poster mentioning Maradona, stats in terms of wins and head to heads in terms of individual sports is very different from goals/assists/trophies in a team sport.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Yeah, the Fed v Novak Wimbledon where Fed had a Championship Point he couldn't capitalize on, is looming large right about now. I think Fed will make a final push at Wimby this year then probably call it quits after the US, so barring the unexpected, I expect Novak to sail past both Fed and Rafa on slams over the next 12 months.
2 championship points

Redfrog

In terms of slams they're all going to be close. And as others have said it's about personal taste, but for me Federer is the best all round player I've ever seen. And I'd put Rafa 2nd, they are more WOW than Novak whom I respect so much. He's the best competitor I've ever seen in any sport, a phenomenon and is so hard to get past, and his return is on another level. But Federer is an artist and represents what I love in sport be it football or tennis.
I remember a game years ago and the commentator said its like your witnessing greatness. I remember the first time I saw him in Wimbledon in his first win and you could tell this was a different player to anything we'd seen before. And I was a fan of Roddick back then so was cheering him on. Everything was laser like accuracy and the movement from side to side was like he was gliding on air. The whole stadium sweating in the sun and the only one not was Roger, pure grace pure sporting art. For me the GOAT for those reasons even if he has a small amount of majors fewer than the other two.
Very true. Federer the best tennis player, Djoko the best competitor.
But you can turn the argument around as competition and mental strength is admirable in his own way and it is the most crucial factor in tennis.
That is why Federer is a late bloomer as it did not have the mental strength to impose himself when he was younger.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
All this G.O.A.T talk again. it's never accurate, and it never will be.
Plus stats don't capture the whole thing....What are Maradona stats compared to many, many other players?
Wait what?

Your comparing a footballer in a team sport to an individual sport?

Of course trophies and stats are the most accurate to determine the best in tennis especially between these 3.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Doubly sad. Imagine if the GOAT debate winds up hanging on one slam title between the players.
Such fine margins, Novak struggled with Rogers serve all day and Fed could've won it by going the other direction. But I tell you Novak knew he was going to win. The mental side of the game Novak is the best ever.
So again they are all the GOAT but Federer is the most gifted in my opinion.
Me and mum were watching some random Wimbledon game years ago and she said he's just such a lovely player to watch. Just the way he carries himself on court. You've got a constant small smile on your face. Sport is about entertainment and Fed is in another league.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Djokovic will probably win Wimbledon too. Federer is now too old and lacking sharpness to have a proper chance. And he's much better than Nadal on grass. Would be nice if the young generation weren't an utter embarrassment.

Widow

Of course trophies and stats are the most accurate to determine the best in tennis especially between these 3.
That depends.

Federer
Wimbledon - 8
French Open - 1
American Open - 6
Australian Open - 5

Nadal
Wimbledon - 2
French Open - 13
American Open - 4
Australian Open - 1

Djokovic
Wimbledon - 5
French Open - 1
American Open - 3
Australian Open - 9

Nadal and Federer have 20 GS and Djokovic 18.

This could look like NJ isn't as good as RF or RN if we just looked at the stats.

I personally put RN third, amazing player that dominates on clay. NJ and RF have a much better spread of wins. RF always looks like the Rolls Royce of Tennis with NJ being the American muscle car.

I honestly think the GOAT will always be down to personal preference and for me, that's Rodger Federer

wr8_utd

Djokovic will probably win Wimbledon too. Federer is now too old and lacking sharpness to have a proper chance. And he's much better than Nadal on grass. Would be nice if the young generation weren't an utter embarrassment.
I'd genuinely be surprised if Federer didn't make the final at Wimbledon. Like you said, the younger gen is an embarrassment and they're all even worse on grass. Djokovic and Federer are surely the Top 2 favorites with Nadal right behind them. I'd have put Nadal as favorite to get to the final ahead of Federer but given his awful performances and the fact the weapon that matters the most on grass - the serve - is not working at all, makes me doubt it. Djokovic is definitely the favorite but I can't see who else in the draw can beat even this version of Federer.

wr8_utd

Such fine margins, Novak struggled with Rogers serve all day and Fed could've won it by going the other direction. But I tell you Novak knew he was going to win. The mental side of the game Novak is the best ever.
So again they are all the GOAT but Federer is the most gifted in my opinion.
Me and mum were watching some random Wimbledon game years ago and she said he's just such a lovely player to watch. Just the way he carries himself on court. You've got a constant small smile on your face. Sport is about entertainment and Fed is in another league.
This truly sets him apart. People love to talk about Nadal's "mental strength" but it's been AWOL for 3-4 years now. He still has the fight in him but he chokes on way too many important occasions. His recent tie break record, the kind of stuff he's missed at crucial moments in recent years vs Medvedev, Tsitsipas at the AO and Novak in the third set today. These are shots he'd make with his eyes closed when at his mental best.

Novak on the other hand defies age and continues to be as clutch as ever. The kind of drop shot he hit to save set point in the third set? Only he can do that.