Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY65

A brilliant set of tennis by both to 6-6 followed by a mess of a tiebreak by Ruud, he will have to gather himself quickly.

mav_9me

Awful tie break from Ruud. Two horror shanks already.
I think it was credit to Alcaraz. He went for the safer but deeper with heavy topspin forehands. Made it harder for Ruud, esp as it took him out of his comfort zone.

wr8_utd

:'(
I think it was credit to Alcaraz. He went for the safer but deeper with heavy topspin forehands. Made it harder for Ruud, esp as it took him out of his comfort zone.
It's honestly still no justification for hitting shots as far wide and long as he did in this tie break. Especially given the level he'd shown this set.

wr8_utd

Ruud has lots of chances on the Carlos serve but he just doesn't have enough to get over the line and Carlos shows his superior mental strength as well in these big moments.

Brophs

The One and Only
I'm beginning to think these players don't understand the gravity of my sleep situation.

mav_9me

That's what makes Carlos special. That on the stretch lob off balance. Special Special.

wr8_utd

Yup, that's the Championship done.

Carlos has spent more time on court than anyone else ever in a Slam and he looks absolutely fresh :lol:

wr8_utd

Never quite understand how an adult tweets the way Brad Gilbert always does. :lol:

wr8_utd

Ruud is going to have nightmares about these last two sets. He's had plenty of chances.

Brophs

The One and Only

Never quite understand how an adult tweets the way Brad Gilbert always does. :lol:
It's just his thing. In the same way not knowing anything about modern tennis is McEnroe's.

wr8_utd

Well deserved Slam for Carlos. His draw opened up and he's taken his chance splendidly.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Still see Nadal and Djokovic winning 3 of the Slams next year. Again. Don't think we should quite be writing obituaries of the Big 3 era yet.
I don't. Djokovic may be able to win an Aussie, but I don't see anyone beating this kid beyond that. He is going to improve between now and next year and could win several slams next year. The others are too old and slow to compete at this point.

wr8_utd

I don't. Djokovic may be able to win an Aussie, but I don't see anyone beating this kid beyond that. He is going to improve between now and next year and could win several slams next year. The others are too old and slow to compete at this point.
Djokovic will win Australia and Wimbledon. No one really comes close to him on grass right now. Nadal may win RG depending on fitness. Carlos is a spectacular talent but I don't think we should read that much into this USO (it is the only Slam which the Big 3 don't dominate after all) as a sign for what Rafa and Novak will do next year.

ExoduS

Officially the end of the "big three" era.
Haha. Djokovic was not allowed to compete in 2 slams on his favorite surface and won 1 out of 2 he played. Nadal is expecting a child and his wife on top of it had some health issues for which she was hospitalized, not to mention lingering injury issues.

Great effort by Alcaraz and he will be future great for sure. Not sure if Djokovic can play in Australia. Alcaraz vs Djokovic at Australia would be a great match.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Djokovic will win Australia and Wimbledon. No one really comes close to him on grass right now. Nadal may win RG depending on fitness. Carlos is a spectacular talent but I don't think we should read that much into this USO (it is the only Slam which the Big 3 don't dominate after all) as a sign for what Rafa and Novak will do next year.
I don't see either of them being able to compete. Each year degrades their capability while players like Alcaraz are rocketing upwards into that magical period of their career where they slay everyone (think Federer 2003--05) or Djokovic a decade ago. Djokovic and Nadal are not going to be able to maintain their levels next year imo (see CR7's erosion over the past 12 months). Age happens to the best of them.

wr8_utd

I don't see either of them being able to compete. Each year degrades their capability while players like Alcaraz are rocketing upwards into that magical period of their career where they slay everyone (think Federer 2003--05) or Djokovic a decade ago. Djokovic and Nadal are not going to be able to maintain their levels next year imo (see CR7's erosion over the past 12 months). Age happens to the best of them.
Imo, Carlos is still 2 years away from the consistency needed to win multiple Slams. His draw opened up here and he made the most of it but his season, after Madrid, had been fairly disappointing for all the hype. People really like to big up young players and expect the Big 3 to topple but yet, it doesn't really happen. I'll personally be quite surprised if Novak doesn't win Atleast two Slams next year. With Nadal, there are obvious fitness issues but Novak looks absolutely fine and I don't think his decline will happen next year.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I knew Alcaraz was good but I was not expecting him to be winning US Open at 19 years old. Congratulations, a bright future lies ahead of him.

Gutted for Ruud as I genuinely like the guy since I listened to his speech in Roland Garros final.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Casper makes a lovely 9/11 statement and the Mr Bean lookalike in the star spangled banner suit tightens his tie in acceptance :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.