Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brophs

The One and Only
Shit news. One of my favourite players and you get the impression, one of the best guys on tour.

Jev

Shit news. One of my favourite players and you get the impression, one of the best guys on tour.
Yeah, I think we would have been talking about the Big Five rather than Four (including Murray) if not for all his injuries.

saivet

Yeah such a likeable character. A big shame about the injuries but also glad he was able to come back to show what he could do 2016-2018 as well, despite having a long lay off.

Hope he can enjoy his retirement.

InfiniteBoredom

Yeah such a likeable character. A big shame about the injuries but also glad he was able to come back to show what he could do 2016-2018 as well, despite having a long lay off.

Hope he can enjoy his retirement.
A few mil would see most people comfortable but to lose most of his money with a wrecked body in his 30s is still rough.

Best of wishes for him.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

Can't say I'm surprised.
I am surprised if you think that he will actually get vaccinated.
It will be, no doubt, a fake vaccination certificate. Once a fraud, always a fraud.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I am surprised if you think that he will actually get vaccinated.
It will be, no doubt, a fake vaccination certificate. Once a fraud, always a fraud.
He's gonna fake getting vaccinated and fall sick from the side effects before making a miraculous recovery to win his next slam as a feck you to everyone who forced him to take the big bad vaccine.

wr8_utd

:'(
Del Po might just have played the last match of his career as he loses to Delbonis in straights. He was in tears during his last service game. Really hope he plays Rio and gets one final game.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Del Po might just have played the last match of his career as he loses to Delbonis in straights. He was in tears during his last service game. Really hope he plays Rio and gets one final game.
Feel for him. Especially after his father took all of his money. 30 million, I believe. Now he's retiring broke so who knows what he'll do.

MattofManchester

It's a sad reality for Delpo. I was hoping he'd be able to make a comeback and remind everyone what a force he is, but it wasn't to be.

One of the most amazing players I've seen when on form and just a likeable character.

Ladron de redcafe

Feel for him. Especially after his father took all of his money. 30 million, I believe. Now he's retiring broke so who knows what he'll do.
That story was as shocking as it is heartbeaking. Parents stealing from their children (or vice versa) will never not be contemptible.

He was a great player when he was at his best but unfortunately, his career was punctuated by injury troubles. The Potro of 2009 was remarkable. It's sad that he's gone though what he's gone through, but I'm glad he had a chance to go out on his own terms.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Has he “had“ his vaccine yet?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He won’t be missing Wimbledon will he? I can’t imagine the UK will be that strict in June.

Brophs

The One and Only
He won’t be missing Wimbledon will he? I can’t imagine the UK will be that strict in June.
Can’t see it. The UK, barring a massive about turn, looks like it’ll have the borders wide open by then. It’d be weird to keep Djokovic out when the rest of the people there are Lady-and-the-tramp-ing strawberries out of each other’s mouths.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Doubt he'll play Paris then, but Wimbledon will be his next tournament assuming the organizers follow government advice/rules for vaccines.

saivet

Not a surprise in all honesty, he's a stubborn guy. I don't know what more information he needs to get vaccinated given the level of information out there already. I think the hope for him will be that these restrictions will ease as time goes on.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
His argument really bothers me because it’s blatantly contradictory.

Just because you are “pro-choice” about what you do to your body, why does that therefore mean you choose not to take the vaccine? If you really care about the ability to choose, and believe the vaccine is a good thing, then you would choose to take the vaccine. If you really really care about the ability to choose, but are using that statement as a way to validate your choice, then you’re by definition against the vaccine - even if not overall, certainly for yourself. And so you can’t have it both ways.

Fair enough to him though, if it means that much to him and he wants to miss trophies for it - then that’s his right and that’s his choice whether I agree or disagree. But it’s weird to give up so much just to be “pro-choice” - especially since choosing to take a vaccine doesn’t suddenly make you anti-choice.

saivet

Just because you are “pro-choice” about what you do to your body, why does that therefore mean you choose not to take the vaccine? If you really care about the ability to choose, and believe the vaccine is a good thing, then you would choose to take the vaccine. If you really really care about the ability to choose, but are using that statement as a way to validate your choice, then you’re by definition against the vaccine - even if not overall, certainly for yourself. And so you can’t have it both ways.

Fair enough to him though, if it means that much to him and he wants to miss trophies for it - then that’s his right and that’s his choice whether I agree or disagree. But it’s weird to give up so much just to be “pro-choice” - especially since choosing to take a vaccine doesn’t suddenly make you anti-choice.
It is a weird position but given his previous comments (posted earlier in this thread) about his gluten free diet and his guilt over having surgery, it makes a bit more sense.

This is probably his most sensible view compared to those other things.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
It is a weird position but given his previous comments (posted earlier in this thread) about his gluten free diet and his guilt over having surgery, it makes a bit more sense.

This is probably his most sensible view compared to those other things.
And that’s OK - but it still doesn’t mean it has anything to do with being pro choice. It also doesn’t mean he is inherently against vaccination overall. But it does mean that for himself, he is against vaccination. And that has nothing to do with having the right to choose. He chooses not to have the vaccine because he has that right. It isn’t that he chose not to have it to make a stand against having that right. Subtle difference but important.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

I don't think seeking sense on any health related matter from Djokovic will end without satisfactorily given the nutbaggery he believes in.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Not a surprise in all honesty, he's a stubborn guy. I don't know what more information he needs to get vaccinated given the level of information out there already. I think the hope for him will be that these restrictions will ease as time goes on.
Some quack natropath tells him it is ok?

Brophs

The One and Only
And that’s OK - but it still doesn’t mean it has anything to do with being pro choice. It also doesn’t mean he is inherently against vaccination overall. But it does mean that for himself, he is against vaccination. And that has nothing to do with having the right to choose. He chooses not to have the vaccine because he has that right. It isn’t that he chose not to have it to make a stand against having that right. Subtle difference but important.
That’s been the rhetoric since day 1 among that cohort. There is no answer that will satisfy people and stand up to scrutiny, so it’s far easier to simple repeat “It’s a personal choice. At the moment I have not been vaccinated. We don’t know enough.” on a loop. Calum Robinson did the same on Irish duty last year. When asked why, he kept repeating that it’s a personal choice, as if that was any sort of explanation of motive.

saivet

Not sure if they can or would have the appetite to do so, but I guess there is the possibility that regardless of border restrictions RG or Wimbledon could apply a vaccine mandate for everyone on site, players and fans included?

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
This exceptionally talented, gifted and determined sportman is putting his legacy into the marginal bet billion people are going to die in 10-20-30 years because of covid vaccine? Wow, just wow.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Are we allowed to say he is a fecking moron and so are the people defending him yet?

Vaccine or no, the man is a dribbling mess and so are the people acting like this is a national pride issue or any such nonsense.

frostbite

"I am not antivax, I am just against vaccines."

Wow!

The older I get, the more disillusioned I become with star athletes. And star musicians. And star actors. And politicians. There are so many morons out there! (Now I am worried that I will end up like Statler and Waldorf, the old guys in Muppet Show! )

ExoduS

He simply doesn't want COVID vaccine. No further discussion necessary. I wished he said that, not go to Australia, and the story would be over. His attempt to go to Australia was stupid - legacy damaging. I, as Novak's fan don't really care how Australia looked in all of that, I care about Novak and Novak looked stupid for going on that trip. He looked totally clueless about what's going on in Australia and thought people would welcome him or something like that.

Doubling down sadly makes sense. Taking a vaccine now would make him look even more stupid.

It is what it is. Nadal might take slam record, but Djokovic will have weeks number one and somewhat more balanced resume. If things stay as they are right now, the goat debate will not have undisputed front runner. One will have most slams, another weeks as number and 3rd one will have most wimbledons + probably most pleasing to the eye game of all time.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
"I am not antivax, I am just against vaccines."

Wow!

The older I get, the more disillusioned I become with star athletes. And star musicians. And star actors. And politicians. There are so many morons out there! (Now I am worried that I will end up like Statler and Waldorf, the old guys in Muppet Show! )
I am really surprised that you ever thought otherwise. These people dedicated their lives to mastering doing what is essentially entertainment. I do not see how this would make them great thinkers.

Also, I think we would be much much much better off as a civilization if he gave the top scientists/doctors/engineers the attention and rewards that we give to the top entertainers and entrepreneurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.