Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostbite

He simply doesn't want COVID vaccine. No further discussion necessary. I wished he said that, not go to Australia, and the story would be over. His attempt to go to Australia was stupid - legacy damaging. I, as Novak's fan don't really care how Australia looked in all of that, I care about Novak and Novak looked stupid for going on that trip. He looked totally clueless about what's going on in Australia and thought people would welcome him or something like that.

Doubling down sadly makes sense. Taking a vaccine now would make him look even more stupid.

It is what it is. Nadal might take slam record, but Djokovic will have weeks number one and somewhat more balanced resume. If things stay as they are right now, the goat debate will not have undisputed front runner. One will have most slams, another weeks as number and 3rd one will have most wimbledons + probably most pleasing to the eye game of all time.
Why "taking a vaccine now would make him look even more stupid"? I disagree. To err is human. If he came out and said, "sorry I was wrong, I will do the vaccine as many other billion people did and as the doctors advice", then for most of us this would be fine.

On the contrary, now Djokovic is an undisputed moron. This is far more important than anything else, at least for me!

Last edited:

frostbite

By the way, last year Tsitsipas also said some bullshit like "I don't have enough information, so I am not having the vaccine now", but then a lot of people in Greece and elsewhere told him that this is stupid, and he changed his mind and had the vaccine. And that was that, end of the story.

Djokovic is such a moron that gives an interview where he says that he is not antivax, but he is against vaccines! And that he doesn't have enough information! Pathetic!

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
It’s all very strange. Does he need to do more research?
Has he ever taken any vaccines (polio, etc)?
He just comes across as liar (the AO debacle) and a dope.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It’s all very strange. Does he need to do more research?
Has he ever taken any vaccines (polio, etc)?
He just comes across as liar (the AO debacle) and a dope.
I think he said he's had his childhood vaccines and used this as evidence that he's not anti-vax.

I've heard this argument a few times but the immediate problem with it of course is that kids aren't vaccinated with their consent, their parents gave their consent. 2 month old Djokovic didn't give his consent to being vaccinated and its where that particular argument falls down.

Having met a lot of these people over the last couple of years, its almost always just a cover for someone who is anti-vax but isn't so far down the rabbit hole that they want to be labelled as such.

slyadams

6 guys are stranded on a desert island. 5 of them agree to cut down trees to make a raft and escape. The 6th guy says he doesn't want to do that, its his body and his choice to not do it. The other 5 guys cut down the trees, make the raft then as they're leaving the 6th guy jumps on board expecting to be saved.

This is Novak. If you don't want a vaccine, don't have it. But don't expect to be able to enjoy the benefits we are now getting because hundreds of millions of people have done so on your behalf.

We have final day Wimbledon tickets this year and if he's in the final I will give him dogs abuse and I don't give a feck if I'm thrown out for it.

Brophs

The One and Only
I think he said he's had his childhood vaccines and used this as evidence that he's not anti-vax.

I've heard this argument a few times but the immediate problem with it of course is that kids aren't vaccinated with their consent, their parents gave their consent. 2 month old Djokovic didn't give his consent to being vaccinated and its where that particular argument falls down.

Having met a lot of these people over the last couple of years, its almost always just a cover for someone who is anti-vax but isn't so far down the rabbit hole that they want to be labelled as such.
That’s a perfect description of this phenomenon. Invariably it’s a tack adopted by intelligent people - which I think Djokovic is - who understand the intrinsic flimsiness of their position.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
After hitting a ceiling as n.10 in the ranking, Sinner is now leaving his coach & mentor Riccardo Piatti to work with Magnus Norman (former Wawrinka’s coach, also Soderling) and the more attacking-minded trainer Vagnozzi.

ExoduS

Why "taking a vaccine now would make him look even more stupid"? I disagree. To err is human. If he came out and said, "sorry I was wrong, I will do the vaccine as many other billion people did and as the doctors advice", then for most of us this would be fine.

On the contrary, now Djokovic is an undisputed moron. This is far more important than anything else, at least for me!
He got too deep. Time to get vaccinated was somewhere in November. He ain't stupid and without connections. Even pfizer CEO wanted to personally talk to him to talk him into the vaccine but he refuses. He clearly doesn't want it for ideological reasons. I guess all that tennis greatness came with some shortcomings. Him not taking the vaccine is consistent with his choices and comments prior to COVID. It is just that prior to COVID no one really cared what his medical choices are as they affected only him. Him liking it or not, many people will use his example to not get vaccinated. Yeah, it's ain't easy to be a fan of Djokovic. Drama all around.

frostbite

He got too deep. Time to get vaccinated was somewhere in November. He ain't stupid and without connections. Even pfizer CEO wanted to personally talk to him to talk him into the vaccine but he refuses. He clearly doesn't want it for ideological reasons. I guess all that tennis greatness came with some shortcomings. Him not taking the vaccine is consistent with his choices and comments prior to COVID. It is just that prior to COVID no one really cared what his medical choices are as they affected only him. Him liking it or not, many people will use his example to not get vaccinated. Yeah, it's ain't easy to be a fan of Djokovic. Drama all around.
Let me summarize what you are saying: Djokovic is an antivax moron.

It is simple, isn't it?

MattofManchester

So Toni says Rafa will have surgery at the end of his career that will render him unable to run.

It makes you wonder how much he's suffered with that foot over the years.

saivet

So Toni says Rafa will have surgery at the end of his career that will render him unable to run.

It makes you wonder how much he's suffered with that foot over the years.
I wonder that too since he's had the foot issue his entire career and was told he wouldn't make it because of it as a kid.

That said it seems this surgery isn't necessarily an imminent thing after retirement, just if the pain gets so bad in later life.

Rajma

What a sad human being.

Balljy

That's been pretty much refuted. The only reason his name was brought up by the press was because his 2nd shot happened to be in the same hospital in Madrid which has been called out for falsifying some Covid documentation not because of any evidence.

He's also not under investigation, the press made that up as well due to it being the same hospital.

Skills

Snitch
Alcaraz has taken the first set in the Rio Open final.

He's beaten Fogini & Berretini to make it into the final. Interesting prospect at only 18 years old

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Is this the tennis version of hand bags?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Thats actually pretty shocking by tennis standards.

Doracle

Not very smart behaviour from someone accused of assaulting his girlfriend - doesn’t exactly look like a man with his temper in control. Will surely need to be suspended for that - it looked intended to be deliberately intimidatory to me.

LDUred

Zverev should receive a ban for that kind of borderline psychopathic behaviour. You can't jeopardize the personal safety of an official and just get a fine. He openly lashed out and the chair ump flinched to avoid contact.

He should get at least what Kyrgios received, and to be honest, what he did was way worse than Nick.

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only

He needs a proper ban for that. Not a couple of days or a £20k fine. Get him sat down for a couple of months. The umpire didn't sign up for that nonsense.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That's been pretty much refuted. The only reason his name was brought up by the press was because his 2nd shot happened to be in the same hospital in Madrid which has been called out for falsifying some Covid documentation not because of any evidence.

He's also not under investigation, the press made that up as well due to it being the same hospital.
Yep. Utter crock of shit. He is also vocally pro-vax.

saivet

Djokovic just lost to Vesely in straight sets in Dubai which means that Medvedev will be the new no.1.

Potential rematch of the AO final if Nadal and Medvedev win their QF matches tonight in Acapulco.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Djokovic just lost to Vesely in straight sets in Dubai which means that Medvedev will be the new no.1.

Potential rematch of the AO final if Nadal and Medvedev win their QF matches tonight in Acapulco.
First number one outside of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray since February 2004. Crazy!

wr8_utd

:'(
Nadal beats Medvedev in straight sets and is in the final. He's really started the season unbelievably well. Yet to lose a match and his third hard court final in a row!

Ladron de redcafe

Nadal beats Medvedev in straight sets and is in the final. He's really started the season unbelievably well. Yet to lose a match and his third hard court final in a row!
5 consecutive sets on hard court against Medvedev is pretty impressive.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Nadal is incredible. To come back from injury at 35 and beat the world #1 two times in a row on his weaker court is very impressive.

wr8_utd

:'(
5 consecutive sets on hard court against Medvedev is pretty impressive.
TBH, Nadal does well against Medvedev. Even though some of the wins have been struggles, he kind of knows how to play against him. He does really well to draw Med out of his comfort zone with all the slices and drawing him in to the net with drop shots. Medvedev really has to figure out a way to improve his net game because it remains a glaring weakness.

Yagami

Good post resistant
15-0 & 3 titles

Good start to the year for Nadal. He wants that GOAT status badly.

MattofManchester

15-0 & 3 titles

Good start to the year for Nadal. He wants that GOAT status badly.
I think it's just confidence, tbh. He's had his best ever start to the year, winning his cursed slam after 6 months out, when he didn't even expect to do so.

So right now, he must be oozing confidence.

If he stays fit(I mean, this is the biggest concern and why I'd rather he skip the hard and go to clay), RG seems certain and he's in good stead for Wimbledon(No real competition outside Novak) and the US.

It could be a crazy year.

Brophs

The One and Only
$25k and a suspended 2 month ban. That is some buuuuuuuuulshit.

Brophs

The One and Only
I'm not sure what more people want? It seems fair all in all.
A punishment worthy of the offence. He was verbally abusive and physically intimidating to an umpire. But the next time someone is annoying you in work why don’t you walk up to their desk and repeatedly smash your laptop on their desk within inches of them and see how they feel about it?

The abuse that seems to be accepted towards officials in sport is genuinely staggering. That guy didn’t sign up to being physically intimidated in public by a work colleague.

saivet

I'm not sure what more people want? It seems fair all in all.
I disagree, he should be banned, not sure for how long but a suspended sentence is too weak. A slap on the wrist for that kind of incident is the wrong message to send. If his incident, doesn't get you banned, what will? A player has to physically assault an official?

MattofManchester

A punishment worthy of the offence. He was verbally abusive and physically intimidating to an umpire. But the next time someone is annoying you in work why don’t you walk up to their desk and repeatedly smash your laptop on their desk within inches of them and see how they feel about it?

The abuse that seems to be accepted towards officials in sport is genuinely staggering. That guy didn’t sign up to being physically intimidated in public by a work colleague.
Ah, I read it wrong. I thought it was a 2 month suspension as of now with probation thereafter. A suspended sentence seems light then, yes.

saivet

I hope Djokovic isn't going to enter and leave himself in the draw for every tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.