Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skills

Snitch
He’s the real deal.
It's great that the "real deal" turned out to be someone as likeable as him (so far in his career at least). Couldn't imagine a prick like Zverev being the face of tennis going forward

wr8_utd

:'(
He's really good but I'd go slow on the over hyping. We've seen a lot of the Next Gen look good early on and then fizzle out soon enough. The early signs are very promising though.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
It's great that the "real deal" turned out to be someone as likeable as him (so far in his career at least). Couldn't imagine a prick like Zverev being the face of tennis going forward
He's gotta do something about his hair though before I can start rooting for him, it makes him look like a nerd.

Brophs

The One and Only
He's really good but I'd go slow on the over hyping. We've seen a lot of the Next Gen look good early on and then fizzle out soon enough. The early signs are very promising though.
…………..or, OR, he’s going to win double digit Slams. I’m going big and early.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Alcaraz is really hot these days yet projecting his desire over the next 15 years is crazy. We will see what happens after he wins his first Slam, and maybe after he wins three or fours? In that sense, Sinner’s head seems cooler, in that he just sees all this circus as a job, just working on his level for the long term.

saivet

Djokokvic back in action this week and hopefully we get to see a QF match between him and Alcarez.

Nadal will also miss Barcelona and is expected to be back in action in Madrid, so if all goes well he'll have Madrid and Rome before Roland Garros.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Djokokvic back in action this week and hopefully we get to see a QF match between him and Alcarez.

Nadal will also miss Barcelona and is expected to be back in action in Madrid, so if all goes well he'll have Madrid and Rome before Roland Garros.
Novak down early in his comeback. Yesterday Wawrinka lost to Bublik in his first match in 13 months.

saivet

Novak down early in his comeback. Yesterday Wawrinka lost to Bublik in his first match in 13 months.
And he's out, sounded like a rusty performance unsurprisingly. Not sure on the rest of his clay court schedule but he'll at least be able to definitely play in Belgrade next week

MattofManchester

Kinda expected to be honest. He hasn't played enough tennis. Pretty sure only Nadal is able to come back and perform at higher levels and even then it's sometimes difficult for him. Novak will find his form, just a question of when. I'd say around Rome.

LDUred

Wimbledon may just be looking at this from a purely sporting angle and a desire for the event not to be marred by politics.

There's potential for someone like Svitolina to go far and meet a Russian opponent or Sabalenka. Imagine if Svitolina met a Russian in the quarters on a show court. It could easily boil over in terms of the atmosphere.

saivet

Is Novaxx playing at Wimby ?
As it stands there is no reason why he won't. The UK don't and won't have vaccination travel restrictions and I doubt Wimbledon will introduce any rule on their own but if they do, I'd expect we hear about it soon.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Wimbledon may just be looking at this from a purely sporting angle and a desire for the event not to be marred by politics.

There's potential for someone like Svitolina to go far and meet a Russian opponent or Sabalenka. Imagine if Svitolina met a Russian in the quarters on a show court. It could easily boil over in terms of the atmosphere.
Russians and Ukrainians have already played against each other in other tennis competitions since the war started, nothing happened.

It's pure PR nonsense from Wimbledon, utterly ridiculous to punish players for what their government is doing (what's worse is that they were going to initially ask them to sign a contract condemning Putin before deciding on this).

LDUred

And that people is called irony. I don't agree with the decision but war is undignified and this adds to that.
Well, purely in the interests of peace, I am in favour of the decision, too. The Kremlin would undoubtedly bask in reflected glory if Medvedev were to win and there could be issues with unsavoury booing from the crowd. A GS win could be used to stoke up even more bellicose nationalism, 'Russia is Great! Look at our Victor!' etc.

It is sad for the players but unfortunately, there are real life consequences to a dictator setting an entire country at odds with the Western world for those countrymen and women who would rather like to be a part of it.

Ultimately, the victims are not these athletes but those whose lives have been, are being, and will keep being destroyed - until whenever the war ends/Putin's regime stopped.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Well, purely in the interests of peace, I am in favour of the decision, too. The Kremlin would undoubtedly bask in reflected glory if Medvedev were to win and there could be issues with unsavoury booing from the crowd. A GS win could be used to stoke up even more bellicose nationalism, 'Russia is Great! Look at our Victor!' etc.

It is sad for the players but unfortunately, there are real life consequences to a dictator setting an entire country at odds with the Western world for those countrymen and women who would rather like to be a part of it.

Ultimately, the victims are not these athletes but those whose lives have been, are being, and will keep being destroyed - until whenever the war ends/Putin's regime stopped.
I don't agree with the decision but I understand it. War is undignified and you can expect to see such things.

Doracle

I struggle with banning players in an individual sport from competing. They can’t help where they were born and, unless there is evidence that they are actively engaged in supporting the war, I feel that they should be allowed to play.

LDUred

Russians and Ukrainians have already played against each other in other tennis competitions since the war started, nothing happened.

It's pure PR nonsense from Wimbledon, utterly ridiculous to punish players for what their government is doing (what's worse is that they were going to initially ask them to sign a contract condemning Putin before deciding on this).
With respect, that's not strictly true and glosses over some issues. Svitolina originally refused to play Potopova and publicized a demand for Russians to compete in a neutral capacity. She then played the match decked out in Ukrainian colours. There were no flashpoints but it is clearly something that could boil over at SW19 (Yes, they wear white, there).

We can't really underestimate how increasingly emotional these players will be about the situation. We are now at a different stage in the conflict, where players will know relatives who have perished or been unaccounted for. It's tough but it's the right decision for SW19.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
With respect, that's not strictly true and glosses over some issues. Svitolina originally refused to play Potopova and publicized a demand for Russians to compete in a neutral capacity. She then played the match decked out in Ukrainian colours. There were no flashpoints but it is clearly something that could boil over at SW19 (Yes, they wear white, there).

We can't really underestimate how increasingly emotional these players will be about the situation. We are now at a different stage in the conflict, where players will know relatives who have perished or been unaccounted for. It's tough but it's the right decision for SW19.
And that is what happened, it was the logical decision done previously as well (for the Olympics). Russians and Belarusians are fine to play without their countries banners and national anthems.

In the end, they still played against one another and there no clashes. The US play Iran eventhough both countries have been at loggerheads, Pakistan play India. We always talk about how sports should be mixed with politics yet we're happy to do it to impact countries we don't have good relations with.

I fail to understand how this will negatively impact Putin, as if tennis players are going to drop their racquets and revolt against a dictator like Putin.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Not to mention the tennis players especially the men were amongst the highest profile Russians to be against the war. They can't openly criticise putin but saying they want peace is code for that.

I don't like singling them out either. It sets a weird precedent that puts politics firmly into sports. I'd rather separate the two as much as possible.

LDUred

I don't like singling them out either. It sets a weird precedent that puts politics firmly into sports. I'd rather separate the two as much as possible.
I totally agree with the idea that singling out players, especially ones who may be firmly against Russia's acts of war, is wrong and should be avoided at all costs. Why make an enemy of a potential friend? There's no logic to that.

However, even though Djokovic and Rublev have made similar points, I would argue that it's not really a political issue anymore. Saying 'business as usual' for Russian high rollers with media profiles, followings, and influence is basically a moral issue because it potentially makes the war insignificant despite unimaginable suffering going on.

So I feel that Wimbledon's stance could well be seen as a moral duty rather than a political position. In the sense that any Russian victory would be seized upon for propaganda purposes or used to further bolster nationalism and support for the war.

I think ultimately we are all just so tired of this fecking war and want it to stop somehow, so we will do anything we can.

Last edited:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I totally agree with the idea that singling out players, especially ones who may be firmly against Russia's acts of war, is wrong and should be avoided at all costs. Why make an enemy of a potential friend? There's no logic to that.

However, even though Djokovic and Rublev have made similar points, I would argue that it's not really a political issue anymore. Saying 'business as usual' for Russian high rollers with media profiles, followings, and influence is basically a moral issue because it potentially makes the war insignificant despite unimaginable suffering going on.

So I feel that Wimbledon's stance could well be seen as a moral duty rather than a political position. In the sense that any Russian victory would be seized upon for propaganda purposes or used to further bolster nationalism and support for the war.

I think ultimately we are all just so tired of this fecking war and want it to stop somehow, so we will do anything we can.
That is a very generous interpretation of Wimbledons position. Winning a tennis tournament would add very little to the war effort imo and even if Wimbledons stance was morally motivated, it still has a lot of political consequences. The chief of which would be more Russian isolation and a propaganda win for them ( They can now say even those who want peace and are not involved will be targeted by the west)

Rajma

Not to mention the tennis players especially the men were amongst the highest profile Russians to be against the war. They can't openly criticise putin but saying they want peace is code for that.

Why they can’t openly criticize the genocide? Many russian artists are doing so at the expanse of their russian market, while for tennis players all their income comes from abroad.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Why they can’t openly criticize the genocide? Many russian artists are doing so at the expanse of their russian market, while for tennis players all their income comes from abroad.
Cause they still want to go home and keep family and friends safe from intimidation. "Can't" was the wrong choice of word, won't is more accurate.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Cause they still want to go home and keep family and friends safe from intimidation. "Can't" was the wrong choice of word, won't is more accurate.
This is the problem for me. I’m surprised too that more people aren’t sympathetic with this either. I don’t think they should be forced to criticise Putin or Russia but denouncing the war and asking for peace feels like a more diplomatic solution that shows they’re against the war and treatment of Ukraine + hopefully protects their family/friends in Russia at the same time. People too often think of this stuff too linearly when it’s not that simple.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
This is the problem for me. I’m surprised too that more people aren’t sympathetic with this either. I don’t think they should be forced to criticise Putin or Russia but denouncing the war and asking for peace feels like a more diplomatic solution that shows they’re against the war and treatment of Ukraine + hopefully protects their family/friends in Russia at the same time. People too often think of this stuff too linearly when it’s not that simple.
A lot of people in places like America or the UK don't understand what it's like to live under an authoritarian regime. It's easy as feck to fight for free speech or human rights on the internet, much tougher when there are credible threats to you and your families freedom and safety.

Smores

It's just gesturing with faux moral reasoning. The benefit here is internal (look we're doing something) rather than any external influence against Russia or Putin's war.

It's not a great sign that such decisions are being made on emotion rather than reason. It sets a terrible precedent for other cases where tennis federations have to determine the moral position of any war/conflict. What about players general world views, are we going to ban anyone with non-western views? That's far clearer judgement call than birthplace.

By all means ban anyone that does support war crimes as such people cannot represent tennis or other sports. Asking tennis players political views as a vetting process is just fecked up on so many levels.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
That is a very generous interpretation of Wimbledons position. Winning a tennis tournament would add very little to the war effort imo and even if Wimbledons stance was morally motivated, it still has a lot of political consequences. The chief of which would be more Russian isolation and a propaganda win for them ( They can now say even those who want peace and are not involved will be targeted by the west)
It's exactly this, a woman on an ex-pats facebook group, who hasn't lived in Russia for 15 years, was recently fired from her job for being Russian and said that this plays into the notion she had been hearing all her life in Russia that the west only wants to hurt and destroy Russia.

Like I've been saying since the start of the war, vilifying ordinary Russians will only do more harm than good. It happened after WWI with Germany, it happened with Muslims during the war on terror and might happen again with Russia. This is what Putin wants as it plays to his anti-west propoganda.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Anyone watching the semis at the Barcelona Open?

Alcaraz has the mentality along with the talent. He's more than the real deal.

Taken it into a third set when he's been second best for a lot of this match. Amazing talent this young man.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Wow, that was a one sided final. Thought Alcaraz would be a bit exhausted after the long semis today, but Carreno Busta doesn't even was close to have a chance.

His third title this year.

& Swiatek won another title as usual. 4th in a row.

wr8_utd

:'(
Djoko, having been close to losing several times this week, gets bagelled in the final set today by Rublev. The week will be good for him because he finally won matches but he's looked physically spent quite often.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Swiatek is so much fun to watch. Normally I don't really enjoy one side demolitions, but she's a notable exception and I love watching her destroying opponents.

She's insane in finals including in big tournaments, winning 14 sets out of 14 from RG in 2020 onwards, and never conceding more than 4 games in any of those sets I think.

Brophs

The One and Only
I’d be worried for Thiem. If he’s lost power on that side then he’s in bother.

saivet

Expect him to be rusty but good to come back before Rome

LDUred

You get the sense from the top pros that they feel angry for players like Rublev, Medvedev, etc, losing their right to play in blue riband events. It's understandable that they would feel gutted for friends they have played alongside for years and years and who they maybe know on a personal level and break bread with.

But they're also so emotionally invested in the situation that they have no way of looking at it objectively.

Put it this way, Russian state television have recently put together a broadcast where they graphically illustrated the UK (where Wimbledon is obviously held) literally sinking if it is nuked by a Sarmat. That is millions upon millions of people dying that is being casually contemplated in a matter of fact way, and disseminated as propaganda by persons invested with unfettered power.

The personal connection the likes of Rafa and Novak have with their fellow pros is clouding their judgement on this issue, even though it's understandable given it is clearly unfortunate for the players who have to sit out.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You get the sense from the top pros that they feel angry for players like Rublev, Medvedev, etc, losing their right to play in blue riband events. It's understandable that they would feel gutted for friends they have played alongside for years and years and who they maybe know on a personal level and break bread with.

But they're also so emotionally invested in the situation that they have no way of looking at it objectively.

Put it this way, Russian state television have recently put together a broadcast where they graphically illustrated the UK (where Wimbledon is obviously held) literally sinking if it is nuked by a Sarmat. That is millions upon millions of people dying that is being casually contemplated in a matter of fact way, and disseminated as propaganda by persons invested with unfettered power.

The personal connection the likes of Rafa and Novak have with their fellow pros is clouding their judgement on this issue, even though it's understandable given it is clearly unfortunate for the players who have to sit out.
The banning of Russian players is a terrible decision. In fact aren't these players complaining about not getting enough support?

Status
Not open for further replies.