Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

saivet

Not sustainable but having a clear few weeks at the right time could come for him

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Not sustainable but having a clear few weeks at the right time could come for him
Good old Gattuso’s “some times may be good, some times may be sh*t” is still Einstein-esque level of a top level, sport life description.

jem

So Swiatek is impressive, no? Reaching Federer (circa 2006) levels of dominance.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Regardless of the outcome of today’s final, Swiatek is just awesome and a joy to watch.

I thought that she received some ridiculous criticism last year. It was kind of her sophomore year after her big break through in Paris in late 2020, with a lot more focus and attention now on her, adjusting to her new found fame and a targeting now being on her back etc. All in all, winning a couple of titles including a big one in Rome, reaching the 4th round in all 4 grand slams, and qualifying for the YEC was good going. And the way she has taken off after becoming world no. 1 this year has been excellent. On the WTA side in previous years, quite a few players have struggled after becoming world no. 1, with it almost being a burden for them. But so far definitely not her.

saivet

A shame we've not been able to see Barty vs Swiatek this year on clay.

Swiatek a heavy favorite for RG and a great player to watch too.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
28 wins and 5 titles in a row.

Will be interesting, if somebody can compete with her at RG.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
She has now won 16 sets in a row in WTA finals, which is very good going.

I hope she caps off this superb run by winning RG.

Brophs

The One and Only
Djokovic starting to look more like his old self. Tsitsipas looks to be drifting. He becomes so passive when things are tight.

ExoduS

Djokovic won Rome without dropping a set. The form is definitely rising for RG. Not sure Nadal can stop him unless another miraculous recovery occurs. Would love to see Alcaraz vs Djokovic in France. That will tell us what Alcaraz is truly made out.

Brophs

The One and Only
If she hadn’t had the injuries she would have had a real chance.

saivet

Nadal to play RG. Even if his form wasn't great, he's still a real contender for the title if his foot stops bothering him during the tournament.

If he gets a nice enough draw and he can play his way into form.

MattofManchester

It could be a real swansong or an absolutely painful watch for Rafa fans.

I'm very sure this is it now. He's really at the end, as sad as it is. He will probably push himself to the absolute limit of his pain threshold and physical capabilities to win this.

If he can pull off a miracle like he did in 2020, where the foot began causing issues again, it would be the perfect way to end. And I hope he can, but I don't see it.

In the last few occasions with the foot, he could barely move, let alone challenge the top tier.

It's crazy how this year has gone. He went from an unstoppable player to getting injured in a match that should have never been played in the conditions it was which has then derailed his season and allowed his foot to flare up.

Crazy.

saivet

Men's projected QFs:

Tsitsipas the draw winner by being in the other side of the draw and Alcaraz avoids Novak in the QFs.

wr8_utd

:'(
Men's projected QFs:

Tsitsipas the draw winner by being in the other side of the draw and Alcaraz avoids Novak in the QFs.
I didn't hold much hope for Rafa given his shit form and his injuries but the draw just confirmed it. Stan in R2, Fognini in R3, Felix in R4 and then Novak, Carlos and Tsitsipas back to back to clinch the title? Even peak Rafa on Clay would do well to get through such a draw. Time to focus on the USO and hope Carlos/Tsitsipas can stop Novak.

saivet

I didn't hold much hope for Rafa given his shit form and his injuries but the draw just confirmed it. Stan in R2, Fognini in R3, Felix in R4 and then Novak, Carlos and Tsitsipas back to back to clinch the title? Even peak Rafa on Clay would do well to get through such a draw. Time to focus on the USO and hope Carlos/Tsitsipas can stop Novak.
If he's fit I think he will make the QF with no problem. Stan is coming off a long lay off, Fognini may not make R3 and isn't in good form and FAA while he put in a good showing against Novak in Rome is inconsistent.

The issue of form will come in the QF against Djokovic. If he's not fit it's another story but the first week is fine imo.

wr8_utd

:'(
If he's fit I think he will make the QF with no problem. Stan is coming off a long lay off, Fognini may not make R3 and isn't in good form and FAA while he put in a good showing against Novak in Rome is inconsistent.

The issue of form will come in the QF against Djokovic. If he's not fit it's another story but the first week is fine imo.
If he's fit, the first week is fine but given his inconsistent form since returning to clay and his fitness issues, these are not the kind of players you'd want to face in the first week. He may beat them but they'll give him a game. Even if he does manage to beat Novak, to then go on and beat Carlos and Tsitsipas back to back is quite an ask. However, I'll maintain what I'd said at the AO, if he can somehow get to the final (draw opening up etc), I'm confident he'll go on to win. I just don't have faith in him making it that far though.

RedDevilQuebecois

Tell me this is bullshit.

ATP Statement On Removal Of Ranking Points At 2022 Wimbledon

ATP is basically cowering in front of the exclusion of Russian and Belarussian players because they are a circlejerk of a country club. Do they know that several sports federations out there have shown no qualms booting both countries out of their sports? Football (FIFA/UEFA) and ice hockey (IIHF) already gave them the boot until further notice, which basically means until the war is officially over or even beyond.

Last edited:

Balljy

Tell this is bullshit.

ATP is basically cowering in front of the exclusion of Russian and Belarussian players because they are a circlejerk of a country club. Do they know that several sports federations out there have shown no qualms booting both countries out of their sports? Football (FIFA/UEFA) and ice hockey (IIHF) already gave them the boot until further notice, which basically means until the war is officially over or even beyond.
It's a complete joke of a decision, and I think they'll change their mind after the reception they're getting already.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Tell me this is bullshit.

Should never have been booted out in the first place.

RedDevilQuebecois

Should never have been booted out in the first place.
South Africa was booted out of sports because of the Apartheid, and Yugoslavia was booted out of Euro 1992 and more because of the Balkan Wars. This is not a new thing.

Besides, a ban often gives opportunities to other players and nations to show us good things in action.

LDUred

Kicking Russians out of Wimbledon seems arbitrary only when someone fails to recognise that the killing, raping, and torturing of Ukrainians is way more arbitrary. Most of them are not legitmate military targets: they are people, who happen to be Ukrainian and who are attempting to stay put in a war they never asked for, and getting caught in the crossfire. And they are dying horrible deaths or living through a nightmare that is probably even worse.

It is not xenophobic but as with the sanctions a measure taken with innocent lives in mind. Of course, it's unlikely to do any good, but the principle of it is important.

Not surprising that village idiot Novak who for some bizarre reason won't take a jab but presumably is happy to have every other medical treatment under the sun is one of the ones struggling to get his head around this.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I'd love Alcaraz to win, becoming the first teenage since Nadal 17 years ago to win a grand slam title in men's singles.

It will be interesting to see how he copes with the pressure though, and best of 3 sets vs. best of 5 sets is a whole different ball game.

While I've enjoyed watching Nadal and certainly prefer him over Djokovic, I've already seen him win the title at RG 13 times, so I'm all for new blood in the grand slam winners' circle, with only 2 men's singles grand slam titles to date being won by players born after 1988.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Kicking Russians out of Wimbledon seems arbitrary only when someone fails to recognise that the killing, raping, and torturing of Ukrainians is way more arbitrary. Most of them are not legitmate military targets: they are people, who happen to be Ukrainian and who are attempting to stay put in a war they never asked for, and getting caught in the crossfire. And they are dying horrible deaths or living through a nightmare that is probably even worse.

It is not xenophobic but as with the sanctions a measure taken with innocent lives in mind. Of course, it's unlikely to do any good, but the principle of it is important.

Not surprising that village idiot Novak who for some bizarre reason won't take a jab but presumably is happy to have every other medical treatment under the sun is one of the ones struggling to get his head around this.
If the same criteria were used for other invasions done by mostly western countries then there wouldn't be any backlash. The argument is that other countries haven't been punished for engaging in illegal wars, and previously it has been stressed that politics and sports should not mix, so it is unfair on Russian athletes who have absolutely nothing to do with the war to be punished for it.

Brophs

The One and Only
Thiem and Brooksby gone, too. Probably neither massively surprising.

mav_9me

I have gotten back into tennis recently after I started playing for the first time ever.

Have been watching alcaraz stuff for the last few days...he is like a faster Nadal. Unbelievable.

rizx

Osaka and Krejcikova already out too, Swiatek is taking this tourney easily

saivet

Osaka and Krejcikova already out too, Swiatek is taking this tourney easily
In fairness not a huge surprise. Osaka was the underdog vs Anisimova and would be a tough match even on hard court. Would have been surprised if Osaka won to be honest. While I thought Krejcikova would win, she's been injured and this might have even be her first match on clay this year.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I'm off the Roland Garros this week, quick jaunt through the tunnel and into Paris.

My mate is obsessed with Alcaraz but I can't really see it.

Brophs

The One and Only
Shapovalov out R1. No surprise, really. That guy’s career is so far off what it should be. Without even mentioning the terrible rapping.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
When it comes to Osaka, I've noticed that many diehard tennis fans seem to be sick of her, while it tends to be more casual fans that mainly tune in for the grand slams that are more likely to leap to her defence. I used to be a diehard tennis fan of the sport that followed the goings on in both the ATP and WTA tours quite extensively, but less so these days as I just don't have the time. But after liking her previously, and being very happy when she made her big breakthrough at Indian Wells in 2018, I can't stand her these days and think that she comes across as a complete narcissist and overly entitled. Her behaviour at Indian Wells this year, including comparing one heckler saying 'Naomi you suck' to what the Williams sisters went through there 21 years before, was also beyond ridiculous.

I guess it figures as the only tournaments that she seems to really care about these days are the 2 hard court grand slams and those held in Tokyo (clearly for commercial reasons more than anything else). She doesn't look to be bothered about improving on clay and grass, or most tournaments outside the grand slams in general (I think spread of the attitude that 'only grand slams matter' has been damaging for the sport). It's a shame as she is clearly a hugely talented player as shown by her racking up 4 grand slam titles so quickly, and it would be great for the sport if she was more committed across the season. Given how much money she is making from endorsements, clearly she doesn't need to worry about tournament prize money or even appearance fees, but Sharapova (who I was no fan of at all) was also raking it in from endorsements, and no-one could never question her commitment to her sport, will to win etc.

Brophs

The One and Only
Musetti 2 sets up on Tsitsipas. We know where this leads.....fifth set retirement for the fans.

Ahmer Baig

Emma Raducanu has been knocked out of the French Open in the second round after 3-6 6-1 6-1 defeat by Aliaksandra Sasnovich.

One hit wonder???

Ibi Dreams

Emma Raducanu has been knocked out of the French Open in the second round after 3-6 6-1 6-1 defeat by Aliaksandra Sasnovich.

One hit wonder???
She's still really young, and she genuinely was really good when she won the US Open. It's natural for her career to dip after that, hopefully she can gain some consistency in the coming years. Think she might have been struggling with fitness today too.

But in general women's tennis seems really unpredictable and up in the air

Status
Not open for further replies.