Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

saivet

The ATP medical committee could (should?) stop him like they do with boxeurs, and revoke his license to avoid him hampering his own health, and wellbeing for the future. Twenty years down the line, he would surely thank them?
He's said he won't do it again to be fair. It doesn't seem like it's something he will have made worse, it's just not a sustainable way to live or compete.

He said he'll try a more permanent solution to burn the nerve and if that doesn't work he'll have a major surgery which may mean he can't return to playing professional tennis.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
As Almagro said in 2008 "he's going to win Roland Garros 40 years in a row, he's going to be 65 and he's going to keep winning RG".
We will have to ask him for an opinion on Alcaraz, also from Murcia.
His post match interview seemed more optimistic than I expected, I thought it was going to be his last match but now I think he will try to visit every grand slam at least one more time.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Hopefully Alcaraz does go on to have a very successful career and win grand slam titles. I've never got excited about Medvedev, Zverev, Tsitsipas etc., but I've found Alcaraz to be by far the most exciting young player probably since Del Potro in 2008-2009.

I generally prefer parity in sports, so I quite liked the women’s grand slams being more ‘random’ than the men’s. However I found Swiatek so great to watch, that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed her winning streak and her wiping the floor with everyone else.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Hopefully Alcaraz does go on to have a very successful career and win grand slam titles. I've never got excited about Medvedev, Zverev, Tsitsipas etc., but I've found Alcaraz to be by far the most exciting young player probably since Del Potro in 2008-2009.

I generally prefer parity in sports, so I quite liked the women’s grand slams being more ‘random’ than the men’s. However I found Swiatek so great to watch, that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed her winning streak and her wiping the floor with everyone else.
Still need to see how he fares on grass and hard, but Alcaraz definitely has the energy of a player tennis hasn't seen since a young Rafa emerged 17 years ago.

Doracle

With the talk of uneven focus on the ladies matches, is it time to move the womens events to best of 5 sets? This will allow them to build much more in depth rivalries and see more of the ebb and flow we often see in mens matches.

I appreciate the problem with that would be court space time, so perhaps we could stagger the events. One event could start a week earlier so each grand slam lasted 3 weeks total. More tickets, more matches being shown on the main courts - it feels it would be a win-win.

saivet

With the talk of uneven focus on the ladies matches, is it time to move the womens events to best of 5 sets? This will allow them to build much more in depth rivalries and see more of the ebb and flow we often see in mens matches.

I appreciate the problem with that would be court space time, so perhaps we could stagger the events. One event could start a week earlier so each grand slam lasted 3 weeks total. More tickets, more matches being shown on the main courts - it feels it would be a win-win.
I think the problem on the women's side is not best of 3 vs best of 5 but more about a lack of consistency of the very top players and arguably too much depth. I'm not sure best of 5 sets would help them in that regard as they don't have that established, relatively small upper tier of players meeting on a regular basis. As the very top players aren't that good or consistent from week to week and their a multiple dangerous players they can meet in early rounds we're not seeing those same faces play. The way Swiatek is playing now, it's a shame that Barty retired as that could have been a great rivalry.

I think Osaka regaining form on hard courts and hopefully improving on clay and grass is at least one player we know can play top tennis at a high level like Swiatek is showing and potentially create a good rivalry.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I think it is inevitable though men's grand slam matches (though at least several years after Nadal and Djokovic have retired for good) will reduce to best of 3 sets. The TV networks and grand slam tournament organisers would probably support it as it would make scheduling easier, I gather than an increasing number of players (including Djokovic and Murray) would probably support it as it would mean less court time with no loss of prize money (quite the opposite through inflation at least), many lower ranked players would support it as they'd have more chance of causing an upset etc. Probably many fans (casual tennis fans considerably outnumber diehard fans who follow the ATP tour extensively) would like it as shorter matches would be easier to follow, not take up so much of their day etc.

Maybe it will be happen in stages, with the first 3-4 rounds switching to best of 3 sets and the last 3-4 rounds staying as best of 5 for a bit longer. Maybe the US Open (the first grand slam to introduce a 5th set tiebreak / 3rd set tiebreak for the women) will make the switch first.

The Davis Cup moved from best of 5 set matches after nearly 120 years, to best of 3 sets in 2019 through the new format. Plus thefinals of the Olympics (until 2016), YEC (until 2007), 7 of the 9 masters series events and other tour events such as Barcelona and Basel (until 2006 or 2007) used to be best of 5 sets. I would strongly disagree with the switch at grand slams, not least because I think that grand slams should be difficult to win physically and mentally, and under that scenario they would be less difficult to win than masters series events simply due to scheduling 'compression'. However I think it is definitely happening down the line regardless.

Last edited:

MattofManchester

not take up so much of their day etc.
It's hard for me to look at this and think about GS matches in best of 3. For me, this makes up a bit of the culture of tennis. It wasn't that long ago that Masters events were best of 5 as well.
Throughout history, even before Nadal, Novak and Fed, best of 5 matches were an enthralling affair. It separated the good from the truly great. Best of 3 just doesn't have that enamour.

Which would actually suit the current crop. Once tennis loses Nadal, Fed and Djokovic, tennis may become so underwhelming because the individuals at the top of the game don't really create the buzz that the others before them did. Even Nalbandian, Roddick and co. had more to them than this lot.

It's why many hoped Dominic Thiem would be able to take up the mantle. Watching Zverev, Tsitsipas and to an extent Medvedev fail, fail and fail again while in their prime against 35+ year old men, to be outplayed mentally is expected, but being outmatched physically is borderline ridiculous. You really have to wonder how far the quality of tennis has fallen in the last decade.

A step towards 3 set GS matches is probably in line with reducing that quality. We, or at least I, want to see a Champion. Someone who sets themselves apart. That's what makes B05 matches special.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Rematch tomoz

Murray vs Tsitsipas in the Stuttgart quarters

Yagami

Good post resistant
Murray wins 7-6 6-3

Grassray preparing well for Wimbledon

saivet

Berrettini into the SF too which is good to see.

Kyrgios back playing too. A few potential minefield opening round draws.

saivet

Still far from a certainty but the chances of seeing Nadal at Wimbledon are increasing. Imagine we'll know more next week when he gets on the practice court.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination

Still far from a certainty but the chances of seeing Nadal at Wimbledon are increasing. Imagine we'll know more next week when he gets on the practice court.
Fingers crossed. Would be great to see him pain free at Wimbledon.

If he plays at Wimbledon, with Medvedev excluded and Zverev injured, will he go in as 2nd seed too?

saivet

Fingers crossed. Would be great to see him pain free at Wimbledon.

If he plays at Wimbledon, with Medvedev excluded and Zverev injured, will he go in as 2nd seed too?
Yeah I believe he will be 2nd seed if he plays.

Jev

Murray beating Kyrgios in two (with Kyrgios pretty much folding after the first set). Great to see him doing so well. Starting to see him as a dark horse for Wimbledon.

Fts 74

Bridge too far for Murray great week though back in the top 50,hope his injury isn't too serious can't see him playing Queens now which is a shame Hopefully he's fit for Wimbledon.

saivet

As it stands Wimbledon could well be Novak's last Major this year.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Berrettini peaking again and winning the Queens after Stuttgart, just ahead of Wimbledon. He is nearing Ivanisevic level on the grass, at the moment. Another go from him, last year's finalist, at the two Dragons on top? He should be credited with the eight seed, according to the ranking.

MattofManchester

Berrettini peaking again and winning the Queens after Stuttgart, just ahead of Wimbledon. He is nearing Ivanisevic level on the grass, at the moment. Another go from him, last year's finalist, at the two Dragons on top? He should be credited with the eight seed, according to the ranking.
His game probably has the beating of Nadal on grass pretty easily atm, to be fair, but I still see him getting straight setted by Novak.
Grass allows him to hide some of his weaknesses, but Berrettini still has a nonexistent backhand that repeatedly gets exposed by the best players.

Then again, Nadal blitzed him at AO as well, despite it being a fast court, so I wouldn't rule him out beating him here either.

Really wanna see Kyrgios in the Djokovic draw for the first time though. He parades his 2-0 record against him, but they've never met at a Slam.

wr8_utd

:'(
His game probably has the beating of Nadal on grass pretty easily atm, to be fair, but I still see him getting straight setted by Novak.
Grass allows him to hide some of his weaknesses, but Berrettini still has a nonexistent backhand that repeatedly gets exposed by the best players.

Then again, Nadal blitzed him at AO as well, despite it being a fast court, so I wouldn't rule him out beating him here either.

Really wanna see Kyrgios in the Djokovic draw for the first time though. He parades his 2-0 record against him, but they've never met at a Slam.
I just want Rafa to avoid Nick but it never seems to happen. About time he met Novak at a Slam!

wr8_utd

Yeah give me Nick vs Novak . Berretini and Hubie both looking legit as well.
The two of them will be major threats to Rafa and, to a more limited extent, Novak. FAA will be a threat as well. Rest of the field looks rubbish.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
The two of them will be major threats to Rafa and, to a more limited extent, Novak. FAA will be a threat as well. Rest of the field looks rubbish.
Alcaraz is also a wildcard while Cilic and Nick will be tough outs for anyone.

saivet

I'm intrigued by Alcaraz too as I really have no idea how good he is on grass. Kyrgios a real banana skin for anyone, especially if he's a potential opponent in the first week, I think he's less of a worry the further the tournament goes on though.

wr8_utd

Cilic, ultimately, is a bottle job and I don't think he'll be a huge threat to Rafa/Novak. Nick I agree and he's one player I'm really hoping Nadal avoids just because of how motivated he is when he plays the top guys.

saivet

Tougher draw for Nadal but would still expect to see him make the QFs. FAA has Cressy in R1 which is a tricky start too, so you never know how these draws play out.

MattofManchester

If Kyrgios survives that far, he'll knock out Berrettini.

I can just see it coming.

Tough draw for Nadal, Novak with a straight route.
It would be huge if Nadal wins this, but I don't see it. Too much time away from grass.
Too many big servers.

However, If he gets to the SF, i expect him to win from there.

saivet

If Kyrgios survives that far, he'll knock out Berrettini.

I can just see it coming.

Tough draw for Nadal, Novak with a straight route.
It would be huge if Nadal wins this, but I don't see it. Too much time away from grass.
Too many big servers.

However, If he gets to the SF, i expect him to win from there.
Kyrgios is projected to play Tsitsipas in R3 and so wouldn't face Berrettini until the QF. Personally I think he'd lose to Berrettini anyway but he won't get that far anyway. He'll probably beat Tsitsipas then lose to RBA in R4.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Hubie out in round 1 today. Novak through in 4 sets. Sinner vs Wawrinka right now heading to a first set tie break possibly.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Great draw for Novak
Not really, just going to get battered my Murray like everytime he plays Murray at Wimbledon. Maybe if he's lucky he will win his first Wimbledon set against him. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.