Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLiverBird

You both care so much :lol:
It’s like listening (or reading) too IPhone Android fanboy Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime

Bole Top

No idea what this means. I still obliterated your weak argument.
this wasn't an argument for anything, it's just Karlovic's joke on his own expense that he posted couple of times but at this point it's already not worth explaining. don't worry, I'm not seriously comparing Roddick and Hewitt to such spade :)

Well we've already established that one of those players actually has a winning record against one of the GOATS so again your point is weak and paper thin.
and we're also established that same player still has one big 0 in any final vs Fed so that's it, no proper competition in those years and siuuuu again. the sheer joy of using siuuuu at the end is worth repeating the same point over again.

Anyone else?
when you include Nadal obviously, that's enough. more players capable of taking slams from Djoko would be too much for a fanboy like me, as we've established.

That's all true though. He is better to watch. Only a Djokovic fanboy would think otherwise.
he is better to watch. Sampras too was better to watch. Rafter was better to watch as well. in fact, any decent serve and volley players are usually better to watch than your usual baseliner. Gasquet vs Waw in Wimbledon quarters 3 or 4 years ago, Tsonga vs Fed quarters in same tournament 5 or 6 years ago and Gulbis vs Fed in FO around the same time are easily better matches than last couple of finals that included Djokovic or Nadal, not to mention Murray. wild hitters like Soderling, Tsonga or Thiem are also more entertaining on their day. that still isn't an argument for anything. it's just what it is, personal taste on which style you prefer.

And you talk about shitting on players?! I said the current crop should be doing better against the older greats. Show me where I called any of them anything as disrespectful as a 'punching bag'?
it's enough to think guys from that era would be wiping the floor with current crop, especially when those same guys were notorious for getting obliterated in any GS final vs Fed. but they were somehow doing fine. current crop actually has players that are beating goats in GS/masters, but somehow they aren't doing fine.

It's not about 'styles of play' but rather strengths and weaknesses and how they match up. This is why Roddick has a winning record against Novak but a very poor record against Roger.
but that's the point, isn't it? Roddick got a few wins vs 20-21 year old Djoko, fair enough, few others did the same. it still doesn't affect his performances against totally different player years ago as those 2 points have nothing to do with each other. Thiem beats Fed every time but you don't see me using him as an example of a current player holding his own vs Djoko and Nadal - because he lost every GS final against those two.

But what am I thinking, expecting sense from a Novak Stan?
Novak Stan? is that Waw & Djokovic fusion, like in dragon ball?

Look, we're going round in circles Mr Top. You love Novak and I prefer Fed. Let's leave it at that. We're never going to agree.
fine. I'm just going to shit on Dutch football in that new thread.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
It's alright to be emotional and expressive, those characters are needed for the sport and are enjoyable viewing, but he's just so unlikeable that I just don't get the fawning from the commentators over him.

Talking about how good he is (he's not) and excusing this shite behaviour because they want a new poster boy for the sport is depressing. Oh he's had problems (haven't we all), he can play great on his day (what pro doesn't).

Just call it out for what it is; an obnoxious idiot with a chip on his shoulder, who believes the world is against him and sabotages whatever chances he is given, then blames everyone in earshot while demanding respect and courtesy.
Well said. His demeanour while being interviewed on court after games wind's me up and the red cnut hat.

Brophs

The One and Only
That lineup does nothing to quell the idea that Federer is about to embark on a farewell tour.

saivet

That lineup does nothing to quell the idea that Federer is about to embark on a farewell tour.
The prices reflect that too. Had a look and a while back cheapest tickets knocking about are over £300 for one session.

The prices have made Wimbledon look cheap ffs.

Pretty cool line up though for Europe and no doubt it will be fun, as it has been for many years.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Huge win by Musetti vs Alcaraz in the Hamburg final… grinding the tour is never easy for kids and he really needs to toughen up in order to sustain his flair for top 20 level in the medium term.

Brophs

The One and Only
Huge win by Musetti vs Alcaraz in the Hamburg final… grinding the tour is never easy for kids and he really needs to toughen up in order to sustain his flair for top 20 level in the medium term.
He didn’t even retire “for the fans” this time around ;)

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
He didn’t even retire “for the fans” this time around ;)
:D He lost the 2nd set after not being able to convert 5 match points, yet he carried on and won the third. Progress!

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé

Found this to be an interesting table. Lost matches after having match points. "Loser" should be "Winner" in the table.

Huge numbers for Federer.

Brophs

The One and Only
A few tennis nerds might find this interesting.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
A few tennis nerds might find this interesting.
Yeah got posted in my tennis whatsapp group the other day.

Nice final between Alcaraz and Sinner while Musetti also won his first atp title against Carlito recently. Not quite the big three but the triple young ballers will have tennis in good hands for the next decade.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Just an incredible career. Right time though I think to call it a day. At her peak (which seemed for like a very, very long time), she was simply unbeatable.

saivet

A very interesting read and I think she's choosing to go out in the perfect way. A legend of the sport and an undisputed GOAT. It's a shame she couldn't win another Major after having her daughter but reaching 4 finals in itself was an incredible achievement. Sure she will get a great reception on this final US swing and hope we get to see at least one win under the lights in New York.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A very interesting read and I think she's choosing to go out in the perfect way. A legend of the sport and an undisputed GOAT. It's a shame she couldn't win another Major after having her daughter but reaching 4 finals in itself was an incredible achievement. Sure she will get a great reception on this final US swing and hope we get to see at least one win under the lights in New York.
There's no "an" greatest of all time. People keeping throwing this term about. Either she is the best or she isn't.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
There's no "an" greatest of all time. People keeping throwing this term about. Either she is the best or she isn't.
"The undisputed GOAT" would be in regards to just tennis. "An undisputed GOAT" is in regards to GOATs in general. Both are fine.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Can't even begin to describe her impact and legacy for black girls like myself.

Ladron de redcafe

It's anything but undisputed.

ChrisNelson

What makes her better than Margaret Court? Serious question for the people claiming GOATage here.

Court won 24 Grand Slams in a 12 year career, Williams 23 in 18.

I get that it isn't always about who wins the most Grand Slams, or 'Majors' across each sport but it's a very good guide and the first place most people look.

saivet

What makes her better than Margaret Court? Serious question for the people claiming GOATage here.

I get that it isn't always about who wins the most Grand Slams, or 'Majors' across each sport but it's a very good guide and the first place most people look.
Margaret Court won a lot of her grand slams before the Open Era. There was a split between amateur and professional players whereby the grand slams only accepted amateurs. That's not to say 'amateur' players like Court weren't good but her record should be taken with a pinch of salt. Another factor, is that even after the Open Era the Australian Open was pretty much a tournament with 90% of the field being local Australians, so again not really the same to the modern game.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

There's the before the open era bit, plus the fact Serena was at or near the top of Tennis in four decades (90s, 00s, 10s, 20s). That's vastly more than any other top player in recent memory.

Last edited:

wr8_utd

:'(
Just an incredible career. Right time though I think to call it a day. At her peak (which seemed for like a very, very long time), she was simply unbeatable.
A certain Henin might have something to say about that.

Skills

Snitch
Margaret Court was never in the GOAT discussion.

Steffi was always considered the GOAT prior to Serena. So I don't get where this Court thing has even come from. Navratilova also has a case for GOAT

wr8_utd

Nick vs Medvedev right now going exactly as you'd expect it to. Barely any rallies and aces raining down.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Nick vs Medvedev right now going exactly as you'd expect it to. Barely any rallies and aces raining down.
Good win for Nick. 3-1 record all time vs Medvedev now and sets up an all aussie class against de minuar

Ladron de redcafe

Margaret Court was never in the GOAT discussion.

Steffi was always considered the GOAT prior to Serena. So I don't get where this Court thing has even come from. Navratilova also has a case for GOAT
I lean in the same direction. It's Serena, Graf, and Martina for me as well. The focus on slam counts only just became a thing over the past two decades. Just as Emerson wasn't considered the greatest despite holding the slam record prior to Sampras taking it, Court wasn't quite considered the greatest despite the 24 slams. Nobody in tennis thought Emerson was a better player than Laver or Borg, for instance.

Regarding the GOAT debate in women's tennis, Serena has a strong claim because she has 23 slams and an argument can be made that the athleticism of the sport is higher than it was 3 or 4 decades ago. But I - like you - don't think it's that simple.
Steffi won 22 slams in 12 years compared to Serena's 23 in 23 years while playing against stronger competition, such as Navratilova. She won the Golden Slam in 1988 which eclipses anything Serena has every done, and has double the career grand slams that Serena does. Peak for peak, Steffi was simply more dominant, winning 6 consecutive slams at her best. She also has Serena comfortable beat as far as weeks at number 1 go.

Navratilova has a staggering 59 grand slams (!) in total (singles, doubles, and mixed) and is 2nd all time to Graff in weeks at number 1. And would have won a lot more slams had she not had the misfortune of having to come up against Evert and Graf.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Though I love Steffi, you also have to factor in Monica Seles bring stabbed and having to semi retire are a time she was beginning to dominate tennis, and I'm particular Steffi, whom she had beaten three times in a row before I believe. Had Seles continued playing, Steffi might not have won the number of grand slams she did end up winning.

Would be if Nadal suddenly had to retire in 2009, Federer might had many more grand slam titles to his name.

Ifs and buts, similarly for Serena I feel if Justine didn't retire so early she would've won a fair few more grand slams, if I remember correctly she had the better of Serena as well.

wr8_utd

Good win for Nick. 3-1 record all time vs Medvedev now and sets up an all aussie class against de minuar
Yeah Nick did well in Set 2 and 3. Medvedev still needs a lot of work if he's to defend the huge amount of points he has from last year. Also, Nick needs to go deep here and in Cincinati and get seeded. He'll be way too dangerous a floater else in the USO draw.

Stanzin Lama

Navratilova has a staggering 59 grand slams (!) in total (singles, doubles, and mixed) and is 2nd all time to Graff in weeks at number 1. And would have won a lot more slams had she not had the misfortune of having to come up against Evert and Graf.
This record, in particular, is just unbelievable and probably will never be repeated.

Status
Not open for further replies.