Tennis 2023

wr8_utd

:'(
My prediction is that Sinner will not have much left in the tank for the ATP Finals in Turin, but then I really hope after a good break during the off-season that he comes back rechargd and ready to make an impact at the Australian Open next January.

I would certainly expect him to win the majority of his matches against Medvedev going forward (on all surfaces), and hopefully establish himself at least as the clear 3rd best player in the world.

And in other news, Murray must be sick of the sight of Alex De Minaur, having now lost all 6 of his matches agains him. Last month he had 3 match points against him in Beijing before falling to defeat, and today in Paris he had a match point and served for the match twice, before going down in just over 3 hours.
I think Sinner might do well enough against him in the Masters and the ATP 500 titles but I still think Medvedev would retain the edge in the USO and Australia Open.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Djokovic into the final. Since we are nearing the end of the tennis season, it's save to draw the conclusion that the alcaraz loss at wimbledon was not a change of the guards moment quite yet. He still is the best in the world whilst being nearly twice as old as Alcaraz :lol::houllier:

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Djokovic into the final. Since we are nearing the end of the tennis season, it's save to draw the conclusion that the alcaraz loss at wimbledon was not a change of the guards moment quite yet. He still is the best in the world whilst being nearly twice as old as Alcaraz :lol::houllier:
I think a lot of people, including some pretty ‘seasoned’ tennis fans, read far too much into that Wimbledon final result, especially after Djokovic had already won the first 2 slams of the year including a very recent and historical triumph in Paris. I said at the time, that Djokovic’s defeat at Wimbledon, would improve his US Open title chances, as he wouldn’ go to New York facing the huge pressure of trying to complete the calendar year grand slam (of course pressure that no other male tennis player in the post-internet age has faced).

Also from Alcaraz’s perspective, he has done amazing well so far, and I didn’t understand why so many people were in such a rush to declare that he’d end up with huge slam counts. It’s important not to let the numbers of the big 3 distort perspectives, regarding what constitutes big success, a ‘great career’ etc. If he for example was to end with 6 slams like Becker and Edberg, or 8 slams like Connors, Lendl and Agassi, he would clearly be a huge legend within the sport. I read comments about how it would be disappointing if he didn’t reach double figures.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
To be honest while I prefer Alcaraz over Djokovic, I did have a preference for Djokovic to finish as the year end no. 1 over him, due to him winning 3 of the 4 slams and losing in a 5th set in the final of the other one. Plus if he beats Dmitrov today, they’ll have both won 2 masters series titles this year as well. 2 straight seasons of Alcaraz finishing as the year end no. 1, despite another player winning more slams than him in both seasons, wouldn’t be a great look IMO.

If he can secure an 8th year end no. 1 finish, and move past the 400 weeks as world no. 1 milestone, I think that would probably be more than good enough for Djokovic there. Then next season he can probably forget about battling for the no. 1 ranking, and more selectively pick and choose his schedule to better help him do well at the slams and Olympics.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Hope Dimitrov can make a good fist of it, classy player and guy.

WTA finals have been really shit - weather and scheduling a bit of a joke. Most interesting thing is how poor Coco has been, large parts of her game breaking down completely with mainly the wind!

Bole Top

it's Dimitrov. watching him you can't really figure out what exactly he's lacking, but whatever it is, he never really had it. he reached GS semifinal three times in his whole career, the rest were all R3 and R4 losses. he wasn't even reaching quarters. that's quite bad actually.

and this might be an unpopular opinion, but I really wish there was 5th Grand Slam. US Open feels ages ago and it was pretty shit.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Confirmed finish as world number one. Easy. No Alcarez revolution yet against the 36 year old.

ExoduS

Rune, Alcaraz, Sinner should take over next year probably. Rune has the game, not sure why he had such a terrible year. Beat Novak at Rome and gave him two serious matches. On another hand losses to low ranked players.

wr8_utd

Happy for Sinner and he's improved in the second half of the season. Hope he can build on this and start to be relevant in Slams next year. Would be good to have him and Carlos both challenging Novak.

Jev

Happy for Sinner and he's improved in the second half of the season. Hope he can build on this and start to be relevant in Slams next year. Would be good to have him and Carlos both challenging Novak.
Yeah, I really feel like Sinner has the game to be their equal. Must be a matter of (a short amount of) time before he gets a Slam.

Now he and Rune can oust Djokovic together if Rune wins tonight, after Djokovic dropped a set against Hurkacz. Should be a cracker of a game.

wr8_utd

Yeah, I really feel like Sinner has the game to be their equal. Must be a matter of (a short amount of) time before he gets a Slam.

Now he and Rune can oust Djokovic together if Rune wins tonight, after Djokovic dropped a set against Hurkacz. Should be a cracker of a game.
If Sinner has any sense (more than honor) he'd go out and lose tonight because there's no chance he's beating Novak if they meet in the final again.

wr8_utd

Two big holds for Rune this set. You feel that he's got to continue serving this well to stand a chance over the next 20 mins.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Line judges have been so good this tournament so far, on such quick courts too it’s so impressive.

Sinner wins, was there for Rune if he could have broken early in that set but favoured Sinner the longer it went.

wr8_utd

Medvedev would do well to lose tomorrow's match and avoid facing Novak in the semis.

Line judges have been so good this tournament so far, on such quick courts too it’s so impressive.

Sinner wins, was there for Rune if he could have broken early in that set but favoured Sinner the longer it went.
He had the break point at 4-4 and hit a second serve long which is really quite unforgiveable in a match of such tight margins. Only has himself to blame really.

Brophs

The One and Only
Like that from Sinner. He might end up paying the price but it’s the right attitude for the long term. He’ll think he can take out Djokovic on Sunday after the week he’s had.

wr8_utd

Like that from Sinner. He might end up paying the price but it’s the right attitude for the long term. He’ll think he can take out Djokovic on Sunday after the week he’s had.
I'm not quite sure what to make of it tbh. Its impressive that he's gone for the win and I love that he backs himself to win vs Novak on Sunday but, on the other hand, I don't think throwing this match would be the wrong attitude? It just means he's ready to do whatever it takes to improve his chances of winning what really matters and that is the title in this case. I may be wrong but I have a feeling Medvedev might be smart enough to know a loss tomorrow is probably the ideally result for him in avoiding Novak in the semis and he might not give his "best."

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Djokovic probably wins the tournament now. Winning against him in early rounds of big tournaments is different than trying to beat him in the late stages. 9 out of 10 times he will be on a different level and blast you away or lock in when it counts to win ugly.

mav_9me

I'm not quite sure what to make of it tbh. Its impressive that he's gone for the win and I love that he backs himself to win vs Novak on Sunday but, on the other hand, I don't think throwing this match would be the wrong attitude? It just means he's ready to do whatever it takes to improve his chances of winning what really matters and that is the title in this case. I may be wrong but I have a feeling Medvedev might be smart enough to know a loss tomorrow is probably the ideally result for him in avoiding Novak in the semis and he might not give his "best."
Absolutely would be.

No elite sports person would ever not back themselves esp after just beating their rival (Djokovic). That level of insane confidence is one of those things that separate greats from very goods. And on top of that Sinner is player at his absolute best ever. If he doesn't back himself now, he will never be a winner.

Rajma

Those 3 back to back games which resulted in the double break for Novak were stupendously entertaining, a real throwback when big 3 were at their peaks. Crazy to see Novak move around the court at his age like he does, truly a sporting all time great.

Bole Top

Djokovic was incredible on every key point. that point in second set, with Alcaraz having a break point (4-3 I think) is everything.

ExoduS

100 percent.

This was always how the final was going to go.
But it must be hard losing on purpose. There is a point and money element to the ATP finals. Difficult to be sure Siinner would beat Alcaraz for example.

wr8_utd

But it must be hard losing on purpose. There is a point and money element to the ATP finals. Difficult to be sure Siinner would beat Alcaraz for example.
To be honest, the 4-3 game in the final set, where Rune had a break point, was the one point in the match it looked like Sinner was actively trying to throw the game but Rune put a second serve return wide and the rest is history.

I know it's not the best attitude to intentionally tank a game but if you're going for, say, an Olympic Gold on clay and you have a chance to knock Rafa Nadal out by tanking a meaningless match, do you do it and maximise your chances of winning? Anyway, fair play to him to back himself to beat Novak, it was never really going to happen in a final here though.

ExoduS

To be honest, the 4-3 game in the final set, where Rune had a break point, was the one point in the match it looked like Sinner was actively trying to throw the game but Rune put a second serve return wide and the rest is history.

I know it's not the best attitude to intentionally tank a game but if you're going for, say, an Olympic Gold on clay and you have a chance to knock Rafa Nadal out by tanking a meaningless match, do you do it and maximise your chances of winning? Anyway, fair play to him to back himself to beat Novak, it was never really going to happen in a final here though.
Hindsight is 20/20. Novak did lose to Zverev in ATP final while still at mini peak. Sinners problem is not that he didn’t tank but that he didn’t perform better today.