Tennis 2023

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
As requested in the 2022 thread.

I like the idea of a mixed team competition in tennis (and most of the players clearly enjoy it as a nice break from the usual individual 1 vs. 1 set-up), but I think that the current United Cup seems too big and drawn out. If the format can be tweaked (5 rubbers per tie instead of 3 definitely seems excessive) then I think it would be great. It makes more sense than the pointless and thankfully short-lived ATP Cup.

It's shame that Raducanu continues to struggle with injuries. I really want to see her win a WTA level title, even one at 250 level and even more than I want to see her reach another grand slam quarter-final / semi-final etc.. To be honest though, even if she is a 'flash in the pan' and even if she doesn't achieve anything else of note within the sport, that 'flash' during the summer of 2021 was absolutely amazing and historic, winning 20 sets out of 20 to seal a grand slam title (with 0 tiebreaks and only conceding more than 4 games in 1 of those 20 sets). She did that not long after achieving excellent A-Level results as well.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I don't really care so much about the Nadal vs. Djokovic 'grand slam race' any more, firstly because even though I much prefer Nadal I've assumed for a few years that Djokovic would come out on top (since he beat Federer in the 2019 Wimbledon final), and secondly because I think the ever-increasing attitude that 'only grand slams matter' in tennis (I think that Pete Sampras can blamed for pushing that a lot in the 90s) is very damaging for the sport.

I'm fascinated to see how Alcaraz does this year after his historic 2022 season, and also the likes of Rune, Auger-Aliassime, Tiafoe etc. The prospect of a 'new big 3' of Medvedev, Zverev and Tsitsipas that seemed very possible at one stage, never excited me !

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Looking forward to see how Alcaraz fares against the likes of Rafa and Novak this month. Ruud will have something to prove as well.

Brophs

The One and Only
Looking forward to see how Alcaraz fares against the likes of Rafa and Novak this month. Ruud will have something to prove as well.
Tougher year ahead for Alcaraz, I suspect. He’ll be defending points won when Rafa and Djokovic were off the radar and Medvedev was wherever he was mentally. I wouldn’t be too surprised (or worried) if he didn’t, say, trouble the final of a slam this season.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Alcaraz out and Swiatek not feeling well at all make for the first biiiig twist of the 2023 GS season.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Djokovic adding another australian open.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Medvedev’s regression since losing the Australian Open final last year has been stark. He went into that tournament (and final) with a lot of swagger, and his confidence seems to have eroded massively since then. While I wasn’t a huge fan, I still preferred him to Tsitsipas and Zverev.

I was also very happy that he stopped Djokovic from winning the calendar year grand slam in 2021. Had Djokovic won that US Open final he IMO would have ended any debates vs. Federer and Nadal for good there and then. Thankfully he didn’t but he has clearly been hyped up vs. Medvedev in all of their matches since then.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Medvedev’s regression since losing the Australian Open final last year has been stark. He went into that tournament (and final) with a lot of swagger, and his confidence seems to have eroded massively since then. While I wasn’t a huge fan, I still preferred him to Tsitsipas and Zverev.

I was also very happy that he stopped Djokovic from winning the calendar year grand slam in 2021. Had Djokovic won that US Open final he IMO would have ended any debates vs. Federer and Nadal for good there and then. Thankfully he didn’t but he has clearly been hyped up vs. Medvedev in all of their matches since then.
I would prefer Medveved before Tsitsipas that's for sure. For Zverev, I would still prefer Medvedev, but if he fully recovers, I doubt he will still have a chance to be number1, he has a real complete skillset( especially his power game).

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Osaka's also out of the Australian Open. It's no surprise given that she was still in the US and hadn't travelled to Australia, but her missing a hard court grand slam, with no reference to an injury, seems like a big deal in terms of an imminent retirement / her winding down her career (not that she has played much during the past 18 months or so).

I do think it's a big shame that she has struggled with mental health issues and in generally has slacked off, losing interest in the sport and only wanting to play the minimum number of matches to keep her sponsors happy. But she has enjoyed a tremendous career than more than 99% of pro tennis players can only dream about emulating (most don't break even and another sizeable chunk still don't make a good living from the sport), and she has made absolute fortunes off court (including more than Nadal or Djokovic). She is an extreme example. But I thought it was likely that many players in current and future generations will badly want to reach the pinnacle of the sport in terms of winning grand slam titles, reaching world no. 1 and raking in prize money and endorsements, but then won't be overly bothered about staying there and doing that over a sustained period of time, and certainly won't be bothered about where random people on the internet (including me of course) rank them in 'GOAT' lists.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Great final between Djokovic and Korda. Joker saving a match point and winning in three. Then does the Rashford celebration.

saivet

Osaka's also out of the Australian Open. It's no surprise given that she was still in the US and hadn't travelled to Australia, but her missing a hard court grand slam, with no reference to an injury, seems like a big deal in terms of an imminent retirement / her winding down her career (not that she has played much during the past 18 months or so).

I do think it's a big shame that she has struggled with mental health issues and in generally has slacked off, losing interest in the sport and only wanting to play the minimum number of matches to keep her sponsors happy. But she has enjoyed a tremendous career than more than 99% of pro tennis players can only dream about emulating (most don't break even and another sizeable chunk still don't make a good living from the sport), and she has made absolute fortunes off court (including more than Nadal or Djokovic). She is an extreme example. But I thought it was likely that many players in current and future generations will badly want to reach the pinnacle of the sport in terms of winning grand slam titles, reaching world no. 1 and raking in prize money and endorsements, but then won't be overly bothered about staying there and doing that over a sustained period of time, and certainly won't be bothered about where random people on the internet (including me of course) rank them in 'GOAT' lists.
Turns out that she is pregnant but says she will be back at Aus 2024.

Brophs

The One and Only
Turns out that she is pregnant but says she will be back at Aus 2024.
Thinly veiled attempt at boasting about having had full sex. The elites make me so mad.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Out your AO winners prediction, folks! I’m going with Medvedev and Pegula.

Drawfull

Pegula is a shout, but Swaitek will win it I think - her loss last week to Pegula will be avenged should they meet. On the men's side I can't see past Djokovic; it's like Nadal at RG

Raducanu Gauff in R2 will be no contest based on the former's opening match. Super scrappy on her service games and loads of unforced errors despite on paper a comfortable win. At least she got done in time for TLOU.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Pegula is a shout, but Swaitek will win it I think - her loss last week to Pegula will be avenged should they meet. On the men's side I can't see past Djokovic; it's like Nadal at RG

Raducanu Gauff in R2 will be no contest based on the former's opening match. Super scrappy on her service games and loads of unforced errors despite on paper a comfortable win. At least she got done in time for TLOU.
I suspect both Novak and Iga are not fully fit?

As for Raducanu, she is unlucky to get Gauff in R2, because they are similar profiles but the latter is on a constant upward trajectory and with much more mileage / confidence as a pro on the tour.

Dan_F

Shame Murray got such a tough first round draw, he’s playing some great tennis.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Huge point now at 8-6. Murray takes it. 3 match points. Wins it with a lucky net cord :lol:

saivet

Really happy for Murray. Fognini or Kokkinakis next, not any easy R2 but I think Murray should fancy his chances to recover and have enough for R2.

Brophs

The One and Only
Really happy for Murray. Fognini or Kokkinakis next, not any easy R2 but I think Murray should fancy his chances to recover and have enough for R2.
The issue for him nowadays is how he pulls up the next day. Based on the recent past I wouldn’t be confident he can get to week two unless he starts rolling through matches in three.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Amazing from Murray - incredible steel to keep pushing. Hard to see how he recovers in time for R2.

Fts 74

You've got to admire Murray, one of my all time favourite sports players incredible he can still mix it with these younger guys after all he's been through.

Would love to see him make the second week but that match will have taken a lot out of him.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I know Murray is a cult figure on here but how far has he fallen if getting past R1 is considered an achievement?

saivet

I know Murray is a cult figure on here but how far has he fallen if getting past R1 is considered an achievement?
Context is important, he's 35 now and since his hip problem became evident at RG/Wimbledon 2017 he's not been the same since. His match before he had his hip replacement at AO 2019 looked like it may well be his last ever professional match. He's had some good results but fitness and consistency of results has been an issue for him ever since he came back.

Even aside from that, Berrettini is a really tough first round draw too who made the SF last year so to beat him and save match point here would be a big deal for a most players.

Kag

He’s 35, physically destroyed and has no right to be playing professional tennis in his current state. He’s just gone out and beaten a player who has, up until recently, been a top ten player for around two years.

If anything, it emphasises just how poor the game is at the moment.

Dan_F

He just beat a guy who got to a Wimbledon final, Australian semi and is a decade younger. In a five hour match.

You’re basically saying that if we beat Man City in the third round of the FA cup, it’s no better achievement than beating Rochdale.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I dislike how he has a first name that is also a surname and a surname that is also a first name, but Holger Rune is already the best Danish male tennis player of all time. Given how many top six players he beat in the past six months, I am hoping he can do something at this tournament.

Supports
Barcelona
He’s 35, physically destroyed and has no right to be playing professional tennis in his current state. He’s just gone out and beaten a player who has, up until recently, been a top ten player for around two years.

Men Tennis is anything but poor, in fact it has been sublime for couple of decades now, and in recent years it hasn't been just about the Big 3 anymore.

LDUred

Despite having a good all round game and a strong backhand, Murray's greatest gift has always been his heart and ability to stay in points.

Coming back from a hip replacement sounds impossible but if any player could make light of that, it is someone like Andy Murray.

I think he deserves credit for how he played today. And that backhand he pulled out to break first game of the second set was as good as any he has played.

Kag

Men Tennis is anything but poor, in fact it has been sublime for couple of decades now, and in recent years it hasn't been just about the Big 3 anymore.
The CVs of most of the top twenty are shite. The world #2 hasn’t even won a 500.

It was sublime. It isn’t right now, hence Murray is still beating a recent Wimbledon finalist with one leg.

Last edited:

Zen

That could be any previous champion and it'd be hailed as a sensational achievement, because it was. fecking kudos Muzza.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That could be any previous champion and it'd be hailed as a sensational achievement, because it was. fecking kudos Muzza.
It is being hailed as just that. Right here.