Tennis Thread 2011

wr8_utd

:'(
So the Qatar Open and the Brisbane International have started in the buildup to the Aussie Open.

Verdasco lost to Becker in the first round at Brisbane while Davy won his first round match at Doha.

Nadal currently leads Beck 3-0 in the first set in his 1st round match.

Seveneric

Should be a very interesting year with Federer and his new coach, Nadal trying to have another amazing year, Djokovic starting to look like his 2008 self and Murray with no coach. Can't wait.

wr8_utd

Expecting it to be Fed Nadal again obviously. Djokovic towards the end of the last season returned to his normal self. He had been so good post Wimby till the USO final but it was the same old Novak after that. Sigh.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Whats the latest on Del Potro? Hope he can back to the top level and regularly give the likes of the big 4 a run for their money.

wr8_utd

Del Potro did return at the end of last season but got injured again. Not too sure how fit he will be for the Aussie Open tbh.

Federer beat some qualifier 7-6 6-3 after saving 3 set points in the first set. He also did the "tweener" again

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Ryan Harrison had a fine game against Soderling in Doha, we might expect a couple of youngsters springing up this year (Dimitrov, Berankis, Nishikori, Krajinovic)

Here's a great article about youngsters

1. Berankis Ricardas (LTU) n.87
2. Raonic Milos (CAN) n.156
3. Del Bonis Federico (ARG) n.160
4. Janowicz Jerzy (POL) n.161
5. Rufin Guillaume (FRA) n.204
6. Uladzimir Ignatik (BLR) n.223
7. Alexander Lobkov (RUS) n.255
8. Evgeny Donskoy (RUS) n.258
9. Facundo Bagnis (ARG) n.261
10. Henri Kontinen (FIN) n.272

37. Alessandro Giannessi (ITA) n.495

1. Dimitrov Grigor (BUL) n.106
2. Kuznetsov Andrey (RUS) n.210
3. Tsung-Hua Yang (TPE) n.303
4. Yong-Kyu Lim (KOR) n.329
5. Pablo Carreno-Busta (ESP) n.241
6. Christian Lindell (SWE) n.385
7. Laurynas Grigelis (LTU) n.404
8. Di Wu (CHN) n.408
9. Steven Diez (CAN) n.466
10. Jose Pereira (BRA) n.503

13. Stefano Travaglia (ITA) n.526

1. Harrison Ryan (USA) n.173
2. Bernard Tomic (AUS) n.208
3. Filip Krajinovic (SRB) n.215
4. Facundo Arguello (ARG) n.311
5. Javier Marti (ESP) n.333
6. Diego Sebastian Schwartzman (ARG) n.417
7. David Souto (VEN) n.453
8. Jordan Cox (USA) n.472
9. Denis Kudla (USA) n.493
10. Yuki Bhambri (IND) n.500

1. Jason Kubler (AUS) n.534
2. Tiago Fernandes (BRA) n.576

Obviously Dimitrov is being hailed as the best of the crop, but his discipline is a concern (same for Tomic).

Do you see any of these coming to the fore this season wr8 utd, at least breaking into the top 50?

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
I don't see Nadal winning the Australian Open at all, hopefully Djokovic or Murray clinch it. Federer hasn't played a Grand Slam final for one year but he remains my favourite, perhaps for the last time.

Cant see past the Spaniard at the French Open. The last two are unpredictable, overall I don't think there will only be two GS winners this season.

wr8_utd

Ryan Harrison had a fine game against Soderling in Doha, we might expect a couple of youngsters springing up this year (Dimitrov, Berankis, Nishikori, Krajinovic)

Here's a great article about youngsters

Obviously Dimitrov is being hailed as the best of the crop, but his discipline is a concern (same for Tomic).

Do you see any of these coming to the fore this season wr8 utd, at least breaking into the top 50?
Nah to be honest I can't see anyone breaking through really. There really is a lack of good young quality players right now.

Players like Nadal you could see right from when he was 16 that he was going to be special. Even Novak was doing well from an early age.
I'd thought Del Potro would be one to breakthrough but his wrist injury has really set him back now.

Harrison is one person I followed a bit last year, especially in the USO. He seems really talented. Some of his serve and volleying was Sampras-esque but only time will tell if he can reach the top 10 level.
I don't see Nadal winning the Australian Open at all, hopefully Djokovic or Murray clinch it. Federer hasn't played a Grand Slam final for one year but he remains my favourite, perhaps for the last time.

Cant see past the Spaniard at the French Open. The last two are unpredictable, overall I don't think there will only be two GS winners this season.
I think Nadal will win both RG and Wimbledon this year. As for the Aussie Open, well Nadal is in fine form right now and the Australian courts are slower than the American ones so maybe he could win it. Him and Federer will be favorites as ever with hopefully Novak also in contention. Murray's a bottler. Doubt he'll win it.

wr8_utd

Federer takes a tight first set 7-6 and now trails 3-1 in the second against some unknown guy. He's really struggled till now. Play like this and he won't be going far in Australia.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Federer takes a tight first set 7-6 and now trails 3-1 in the second against some unknown guy. He's really struggled till now. Play like this and he won't be going far in Australia.
Yeah but see, Nadal just conceded a 0-6 before beating Lukas Lacko in strenuous fashion.. I wouldn't use this as a yardstick for the Australian Open, but I do believe the bigger picture points at other players bursting to the fore.

I think Nadal would do well do keep his French open this year, as for the others really I can see an opening. Murray? Not a bottler, we said the same thing of Djokovic before he threw Federer out at the US open. It's just that he has two players who were better than him so far, not a mental thing.

As for Djokovic, I think he'll go on to have a career like David Bowie's discography; have an early hit peaking at number 1 in the charts, then a few years only reaching number 2 and 3, and then another crop of hits.

1964 "Liza Jane"
(as Davie Jones with the King Bees) — — — — Non-album single

1965 "I Pity the Fool"
(as The Manish Boys) — — — —
"You've Got a Habit of Leaving"
(as Davy Jones & the Lower Third) — — — —

"Can't Help Thinking About Me"
(as David Bowie with The Lower Third) — — — —
"Do Anything You Say" — — — —
"I Dig Everything" — — — —
"Rubber Band" — — — —

"The Laughing Gnome" 6
"Love You till Tuesday" — — — —

"Space Oddity" 1
"Ragazzo Solo, Ragazza Sola" — — — —

"The Prettiest Star" — — — — — — —
"Memory of a Free Festival" — — — — — — —

"Holy Holy" — — — — — — —
"Moonage Daydream"
(as part of Arnold Corns) — — — — — — —
"Hang On to Yourself"
(as part of Arnold Corns) — — — — — — —
1972 "Changes" — — — — — —
"Starman" 10 — — — —
"John, I'm Only Dancing" — — — — —
"The Jean Genie" 2 — — —
1973 "Drive-In Saturday" 3 — — — — —
"Time" — — — — — — —
"Life on Mars?" 3 — — — —
"Let's Spend the Night Together" — — — — — — — Aladdin Sane
"Sorrow" 3 — —

"Rebel Rebel" 5 64 — 33 2 9 —
"Rock 'n' Roll Suicide" 22 — — — 12 — —
"Diamond Dogs" 21 — — — 27 — —
"Knock on Wood" 10 — — — 4 10 —
"Rock 'n' Roll with Me" — — — — — — —
1975 "Young Americans" 18 28 — — 13 — — Young Americans
"Fame" 17 — — — 9 —
"Golden Years" 8 10 — — 9 — 10

"TVC 15" 33 64 — — — — 18
"Suffragette City" — — — — — — — Changesonebowie
"Stay" — — — — — — —
"Sound and Vision" — — —
"Be My Wife" — — — — — — —
"'Heroes'" 24 — — — —

"Beauty and the Beast" 39 — — — — — —
"Breaking Glass" 54 — — — — — —

"Boys Keep Swinging" 7 — — — — —
"DJ" 29 — — — — — —
"Yassassin" — — — — — — —
"Look Back in Anger" — — — — — — —
"John, I'm Only Dancing (Again)" 12 — — — —

"Alabama Song" 23 — — — — — — —
"Crystal Japan" — — — — — — — — —
"Ashes to Ashes" 1 — — 6 9 4 3 6 11
"Fashion" 5 70 — — 34 11 9 7 —

"Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)" 20 — — — — 17 — — —
"Up the Hill Backwards" 32 — — — — — — — —
"Under Pressure"
(with Queen) 1 29 7 10 21 2 5 10 10
"Wild Is the Wind" 24 — — — — 15 — — —
"Cat People (Putting Out Fire)" 26 67 9 — — 17 1 1 8
"Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy"
(with Bing Crosby) 3 — — 53 3 6 12 —
1983 "Let's Dance" 1 1 8 2
"China Girl" 2 10 3 9 6 2 7 5 8
"Modern Love" 2 14 6 — 27 3 — — 17
"Without You" — 73 — — — — — — —
"White Light/White Heat" 46 — — — — — — —

"Blue Jean" 6 8 2 16 21 3 3 5 14 CAN: Gold[26] Tonight
"Tonight"
(with Tina Turner) 53 53 32 22 — 24 — — 17

"This Is Not America"
(with Pat Metheny Group) 14 32 7 5 5 9 3 2
"Loving the Alien" 19 — — — 27 5 — —
"Dancing in the Street"

"Absolute Beginners" 2 53 9 2 7 1 4 5
"Underground" 21 — 18 — 20 6 — 19 14
"Magic Dance" — — — — — — — — —
"When the Wind Blows" 44 — — — — 19 — —

"Day-In Day-Out" 17 21 3 25 25 12 —
"Time Will Crawl" 33 — 7 — 57 18 — — —
"Never Let Me Down" 34 27 15 — — 26 — — —
What could the poor lad do, he had some competition with the likes of Pink Floyd and ABBA around. But he came back to the top!

wr8_utd

Nadal was rubbish but tbf to him he's playing doubles as well and has been down with fever the past week and is struggling a bit. He's just playing for match sharpness really. And over the last year he's been rather rubbish at the ATP tournaments and only really playing well at the Slams.

As for Djoko, yes he could win maybe after Fed and Nadal retire. I thought he'd gotten over his mental problems after the USO but it seemed like the same old Djoko at the Masters in London.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Federer was masterful yesterday.

Cue the Australian Open.. Any of the top seeds might play Del Potro in the first round as he is ranked 250th or something! Tricky stuff

wr8_utd

Yep some unlucky player will get him. Pretty sure Federer won't have him in his half.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Del Potro beat Feliciano Lopez 6-7 7-6 7-6 in more than 3 hours, he definitely is back

wr8_utd

I wouldn't be so sure. Lopez is a person he would have thrashed. He's still going to take a while to get back to his best. And it's yet to be seen what long term effect the wrist surgery will have on his serving which is an integral part of his game.

wr8_utd

Andy Murray is back.

2 breaks up in his first round match vs Baggy at ABN AMRO in this first set and he lost the match 6-4 6-1. He's playing some shocking stuff. He's well capable of a meltdown like last year

wr8_utd

Federer vs Djokovic in the final at Dubai tomorrow. Federer got through an extremely easy draw and performed pretty well beating Gasquet in the semis.

Djoko has not played too well all tournament and won in 3 sets vs Berdych in the semis after Berdych retired. Going on tournament form I expect Federer to easily beat Djokovic.

Who is your favorite tennis player currently wr8_utd?
Anyone But Nadal ;)

Lol, jk.

wr8_utd

Djokovic wins in 71 mins. Incredible. He's going to be a real threat at the French Open as well this time.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Is Nole now officially No 2?! Don't think the ATP ranking has been updated yet.

wr8_utd

Nah. He did not win any points for this victory since he had won it last year.

He did say he hopes to be Number 2 sometime next month.

Name Changed

weso26
With Federer gone, Murray had an easier than normal run to the title. How the hell did he lose to a qualifier?

wr8_utd

He lost to a qualifier in the first round :lol:

What on earth is wrong with him? This is EXACTLY like last season where he went into meltdown after losing the Aussie Open.

He lost in the first round in a tournament last month and now at a Masters. He's going to slip down the rankings pretty quickly if he doesn't look start doing something pretty quick.

wr8_utd

Somdev did really well against Nadal in his 7-5 6-4 defeat. Proud of the guy! He's beaten Baggy and Malisse back to back and performed admirably vs Nadal.

Harrison meanwhile beat Raonic day before before losing today to Federer. He had the first set in his hand but he somehow blew it and fed won in straight sets.

Djokovic has continued to look amazingly impressive. Good thing the clay court season will start soon!

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
Good display and he has got a good serve in him. Not to take anything away from his efforts, Nadal had a lot of unforced errors and Somdev's ground shots were no match to Nadal. But it was a great display from him and matched Nadal by his efforts through the match.

wr8_utd

Yup a very good serve and some decent groundstrokes. He's been improving. Beating Malise and Baggy is a good run. Nadal was defintely off his game today but Som played well. Could have easily taken the first set but in the end Nadal's experience took him through more than his game.

VoetbalWizard

Yup a very good serve and some decent groundstrokes. He's been improving. Beating Malise and Baggy is a good run. Nadal was defintely off his game today but Som played well. Could have easily taken the first set but in the end Nadal's experience took him through more than his game.
do you play?

wr8_utd

Unfortunately no. Always wanted to play but prefer playing football to tennis.

wr8_utd

So Nadal beat the big serving maniac Karlovic in 3 sets 5-7 6-1 7-6 and now faces JMDP in the semis :nervous:

The last time they met Nadal got hammered.It's Nadal and Lopez vs Federer and Wawrinka in the doubles semi finals as well. And it's likely to be a Fed/Djoko semi final in the other half.

VoetbalWizard

So Nadal beat the big serving maniac Karlovic in 3 sets 5-7 6-1 7-6 and now faces JMDP in the semis :nervous:

The last time they met Nadal got hammered.It's Nadal and Lopez vs Federer and Wawrinka in the doubles semi finals as well. And it's likely to be a Fed/Djoko semi final in the other half.
dp is a freak. i've seen him live before. it's odd seeing someone so big move so well on the court. injuries have robbed some of his time last year, but if he's fully fit, he is a seriously good player

I think Joker will beat fed unfortunately if they meet. Joker is dialed in.

Seveneric

Raonic-Harrison has been the match of the tourney for me so far, with Raonic still doing nothing to convince me that he's nothing more than a Roddick 2.0 without the asshatery and being an all-round douchebag to umpires. Impressive match from Harrison even if his game is still very immature and he's unexperienced.

And the Devvarman-Nadal match was strange to watch, seemed like Devvarman wasn't trying to win, just not to get thrashed, he was mostly counterpunching/defensive and if it had gone to 3 sets he'd have been worn out waaay before Nadal.

wr8_utd

Raonic-Harrison has been the match of the tourney for me so far, with Raonic still doing nothing to convince me that he's nothing more than a Roddick 2.0 without the asshatery and being an all-round douchebag to umpires. Impressive match from Harrison even if his game is still very immature and he's unexperienced.

And the Devvarman-Nadal match was strange to watch, seemed like Devvarman wasn't trying to win, just not to get thrashed, he was mostly counterpunching/defensive and if it had gone to 3 sets he'd have been worn out waaay before Nadal.
Yeah the Somdev match was strange but despite him being defensive he still could have easily taken the first set because he had loads of chances to break. Nadal just played the big points far far better. Anyway as an Indian I was quite proud to see him do decently well against the World's best player.

I agree with what you say about Raonic, he's pretty one dimensional but that's good enough for hard courts imo. I can see him winning a Slam or two on the HC's. Harrison I remember watching in the USO last year and in the US Series before that and was really impressed. He has more variety to his game and served and volleyed really well. He could be another big thing but he needs to start playing well outside of the US.
dp is a freak. i've seen him live before. it's odd seeing someone so big move so well on the court. injuries have robbed some of his time last year, but if he's fully fit, he is a seriously good player

I think Joker will beat fed unfortunately if they meet. Joker is dialed in.
JMDP was a quality player pre injury and he's proving it again. Slowly but surely he's getting back to his best. It'll still be a while before he reaches that level of performance he showed in the USO but he will get there. He's got a great game. I really like him...until he comes up against Nadal and demolishes him :mad:

Djoker should beat Fed on form but lets see. The clay court season will come at a wrong time for Djoko. He's been super on the hard courts till now.

wr8_utd

Nadal did really well to come back from 4-1 down in that first set. He still does not look at his best though. Neither of them do. Nadal breaks in the second with a trademark double handed backhand passing shot down the line. Hope he can consolidate and serve it out :nervous:

This match is followed by Fed Djoko , a battle for the Number 2 ranking! 4 Grand Slam winners in the semis playing today.