Tennis Thread 2013

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Unlucky Djok with the draws. Epic 5 setter v Del Potro to get bashed by Murray and then another v Wawrinka to get bashed by Nadal.

TheBest

SPNTBP
Unlucky Djok with the draws. Epic 5 setter v Del Potro to get bashed by Murray and then another v Wawrinka to get bashed by Nadal.
Nadal recovered from his 5 setter to beat Roger in the aussie open. Djokovic recovered from his 5 setter against murray(and roger at us?) to beat nadal(one of which was a freak match(aussie open)). I think tiredness is just an exccuse. He is fit enough to recover from that. He just didn't turn up at wimbledon.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
This is really what separates Novak and the other top guys from the rest. Novak wasn't quite at his best but he hung in there and took his chances despite Wawrinka playing a good match. Another player would've lost this match but Novak managed to come through.

Having said that, if Wawrinka had served as good as he did against Murray, Djokovic would've been in deeper trouble. Averaging around 50% first serves is poor.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Wawrinka was excellent but Djokovic was just too strong and resilient. With a stronger serve Wawrinka might have won but Djokovic can just be so hard to beat sometimes. Some great rallies and some great tennis in the match though.

Nadal will probably beat Gasquet now. Even if Gasquet plays well, he'll be lucky to get a set. Djokovic's the sort of player with immense stamina so he'll be fine for the final, but I think Nadal will win simply because he's been unstoppable throughout the tournament and that may continue since while Djokovic has been very good, it's been what you expect from him unlike Nadal who's upped it a level on what is probably his weakest surface.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Nadal recovered from his 5 setter to beat Roger in the aussie open. Djokovic recovered from his 5 setter against murray(and roger at us?) to beat nadal(one of which was a freak match(aussie open)). I think tiredness is just an exccuse. He is fit enough to recover from that. He just didn't turn up at wimbledon.
Djokovic's Australian Open win is the most amazing feat of endurance I've seen in tennis. He played two 5 set matches in 2 days against Murray and then Nadal. 11 hours on court in 2 days.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Wawrinka was excellent but Djokovic was just too strong and resilient. With a stronger serve Wawrinka might have won but Djokovic can just be so hard to beat sometimes. Some great rallies and some great tennis in the match though.

Nadal will probably beat Gasquet now. Even if Gasquet plays well, he'll be lucky to get a set. Djokovic's the sort of player with immense stamina so he'll be fine for the final, but I think Nadal will win simply because he's been unstoppable throughout the tournament and that may continue since while Djokovic has been very good, it's been what you expect from him unlike Nadal who's upped it a level on what is probably his weakest surface.
Nadal will go through in straight sets for the loss of 6-8 games.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Nadal will go through in straight sets for the loss of 6-8 games.

I expect he'll go through in straight sets too but Gasquet may be able to at least come close to taking one of the sets, although I'd expect Nadal to progress fairly comfortably in the end anyway.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I expect he'll go through in straight sets too but Gasquet may be able to at least come close to taking one of the sets, although I'd expect Nadal to progress fairly comfortably in the end anyway.

Pretty much as I expected. Nadal takes it comfortably in straight sets with Gasquet coming close to taking it in one. I think Nadal will win the final with Djokovic taking one set now, Nadal just looking too good at the moment.

wr8_utd

:'(
Rafa still hasn't lost a match on hard courts this year and it's September. Unfortunately I think this run will end in the final. It's already been an astonishing season for him but winning the USO and going up to #13 Slams will make it one of the best seasons ever for him.

He's reached the final in 12 of 13 tournaments he's played this year!

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Gasquet not even close to a challenge for Nadal. Hope Nole will be top fit for tomorrow, his last night's win was physically and mentally exhausting.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I reckon it will be a 4 setter, Djoko to win. Both have been extremely good in this tournament, Novak had a bit of a wobbly one yesterday but I do think he has the edge over Rafa on hard courts.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Hoping for a Nadal win and to see him edge closer to Fed's 16 slams.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Rafa still hasn't lost a match on hard courts this year and it's September. Unfortunately I think this run will end in the final. It's already been an astonishing season for him but winning the USO and going up to #13 Slams will make it one of the best seasons ever for him.

He's reached the final in 12 of 13 tournaments he's played this year!
Lifetime best season. If he wins imagining him winning the other 2 Masters and the WTF's. He'd have an unbeaten hard court season, out and indoor.

Seveneric

I don't expect him to focus on Shangai and Paris(it's indoors, which has always been his boogeyman). I assume after the final, his focus for the rest of the year will be Davis Cup and London.

RORY65

The conditions are terrible at the moment but Azarenka has started well enough to suggest she could win this, she has the defence to get back more of Serena's shots than basically anyone else.

RORY65

Wow, suddenly this match has come back to life. Serena should still win because she's so good but Azarenka is properly testing her.

RORY65

Wow, suddenly this match has come back to life. Serena should still win because she's so good but Azarenka is properly testing her.

Or not :lol: Serena breaks straight away and will serve for the match again

RORY65

If only azarenka could serve
Her serving stats are always poor, she was 0-40 down on her serve and it's difficult to come back from that against Serena if you can't get a couple of easy points off good serves. Serena doubles now though, her serve is suddenly a bit vulnerable.

RORY65

This final is going the distance, this year and last year were the first times that the women's final had gone to 3 sets since 1995.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Looks like Serena will win now. Been a very good match though considering the complaints often leveled towards women's tennis.

RORY65

Full credit to Serena, she is a phenomenal tennis player and she kept it together in the third after getting the yips in the second set.