Tennis Thread 2014

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
I see the Scot got tossed around effortlessly by Fed

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Everything else then Djokovic - Federer in the final would shock me. Rest looks shit.

Federer was good today, but Murray was a joke, his body language was awful too, looks like he has given up already after the 1st set.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
I reckon finally winning Wimbledon has made him too relaxed. He's had so much pressure over the years to cross that hurdle that finally achieving it must have taken a bit of the edge off.

It's probably a factor. I think hiring Mauresmo was a monumentally stupid appointment to boost his image too.

Kag

I think the motivation is there. He's just played two months on the bounce to make the O2. He's had career-changing surgery, lost Lendl and lost confidence all within the space of a year.

His serve is laughable, too. A major problem. He needs to sort that out otherwise he'll be in for another struggle next year. On the plus side, his movement is back and his groundies have looked top notch at times.

A lot of work over the winter and I think he'll back in the top four sooner rather than later.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
How the hell did Federer win that? I watched it up until the mid second set and Wawrinka looked like he was going to win it with ease.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Federer has to withdraw from the final, not match fit.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Oh no.

What happens to all the people who paid for the tickets? Will they play some sort of exhibition match?
Yeah, Djokovic vs Murray, and then Murray/McEnroe vs Henman/Cash. Federer made the announcement himself and was apologetic for it.

saivet

Yeah, Djokovic vs Murray, and then Murray/McEnroe vs Henman/Cash. Federer made the announcement himself and was apologetic for it.
ATP president also suggested that they may get some compensation too.

Bojan11

Why didn't they just let Wawrinka in the final? Sure Roger wouldn't have minded.

I mean Ferrer gets in the tournament when Raionic is injured half way through.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
ATP president also suggested that they may get some compensation too.
Good on them. As disappointing as it would've been for the fans, the ATP did well to ensure that they organised other stuff in it's place and seemed to cope with it as well as they could. And very classy from Federer in coming out to address the crowd, since a lot of players probably wouldn't have bothered to.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Why didn't they just let Wawrinka in the final? Sure Roger wouldn't have minded.

I mean Ferrer gets in the tournament when Raionic is injured half way through.
There's a difference between bringing in someone as a replacement and bringing back a player who's already been eliminated though. The tournament would be a bit of a joke if the winner was someone who'd already been defeated.

saivet

Good on them. As disappointing as it would've been for the fans, the ATP did well to ensure that they organised other stuff in it's place and seemed to cope with it as well as they could. And very classy from Federer in coming out to address the crowd, since a lot of players probably wouldn't have bothered to.
Confirmed.

lonelyred

Shameful Roger Federer has betrayed spirit of sport

The Swiss tennis star let down his fans and his sport by refusing to play Novak Djokovic in London, writes Alex Chick.

By Eurosport 4 hours ago

Roger Federer's late withdrawal from the final of the ATP World Tour Finals was a spectacular dereliction of professional duty that would be deemed utterly unacceptable in any sport other than tennis. The Swiss veteran pulled out less than an hour before his match against Novak Djokovic at a packed O2 Arena, citing... well, what exactly? Here's what Federer told a disappointed crowd:

"I'm sorry I'm not fit to play. I hope you understand. I wanted to come out personally and explain. I did everything I could. I took pain-killers, had rest until the very end, but I just cannot compete at this level with Novak. At my age it would've been a risk. It's not that much of a surprise. This back spasm, whatever it might be, it's just not a fun thing to have during the day. It's just uncomfortable. But I'm positive and I'm hopeful that it's going to go away soon."

Like many (or even most) sportsmen, Federer has been playing through a degree of pain - and playing extremely well. On Saturday night he came from match point down to beat his countryman Stan Wawrinka in the semi-final. That win took him to 18 wins from 19 singles matches since the US Open.

Last week, after demolishing Andy Murray 6-0 6-1, observers hailed the 33-year-old for defying Father Time to produce some of the best tennis of his career. So although we cannot doubt that he has been carrying an injury, the effect on his performances has been imperceptible.

He cried off not because he couldn't play, but because (he thought) he couldn't win.

Now Federer is not alone in this. Tennis players frequently withdraw from matches if they do not feel 100 per cent, a practice that goes largely unnoticed at low-profile tour events. But at the season-ending extravaganza? It's simply unconscionable.

Of course, it was not just fear of a pasting that informed his decision. Switzerland face France in the Davis Cup final this weekend - a chance for Federer to win the 'World Cup of tennis' for the first time.

Despite talk of a bust-up with Wawrinka, is there any doubt that he will be fit and firing when he laces up against Tsonga, Monfils and company in Lille? Of course not.

And how will fans who shelled out £60 and upwards to attend the London final feel if he does indeed lift the trophy? You could forgive them a few shouts of 'Allez Les Bleus' at their televisions this weekend.

Roger Federer apologises to the crowd in London

With some points I agree, with some I don't, but that's exactly what crossed my mind when I heard he was forfeiting the match and listened to him while he was apologising (bolded sentence).

It will be interesting to see if he plays in the Davis Cup this week.

surf

Of all players, Federer deserves the benefit of the doubt. Has he ever scratched prior to a match or defaulted during a match before?

Bojan11

Silly article.

Federer has never quit during a match even when he's not right. I've never seen him call a trainer, which a lot of players do a lot.

Federer also had back problems last season and that was one of the reasons he lost a lot of his matches against weak opponents. He most likely didn't want to risk injuring his back again.

Most players would have played the final and missed the Davis cup.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Silly article.

Federer has never quit during a match even when he's not right. I've never seen him call a trainer, which a lot of players do a lot.

Federer also had back problems last season and that was one of the reasons he lost a lot of his matches against weak opponents. He most likely didn't want to risk injuring his back again.

Btw

saivet

Just waiting back to receive my application for the Wimbledon ballot and was just wondering whether anyone has had any luck with it? The whole process of applying is a bit of a joke, I applied last year but didn't get anything. If not, has anyone else been to Wimbledon and if so how did you go about getting tickets?

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
Silly article.

He is putting his legacy and career cv over the fans that pay to see him. It's quite simple. If he was 100% fine he would have played, yes, anyone who says he was scared of Novak is an idiot. Guys don't get to that level thinking like that. However, it is obvious the back isn't as serious as it was made out to be. He had a slight niggle and with Davis Cup on the horizon he didn't want to risk it.

NinjaFletch

Just waiting back to receive my application for the Wimbledon ballot and was just wondering whether anyone has had any luck with it? The whole process of applying is a bit of a joke, I applied last year but didn't get anything. If not, has anyone else been to Wimbledon and if so how did you go about getting tickets?
Queue.

Count Orduck

I don't think you can get Centre or No. One Court tickets from queueing, just general entry. At least that was the case when I queued up. They let people in only as other people leave the event, so it takes ages. I was there for four hours and got in for the last hour and a half of play.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Federer leading against Gasquet 4:3 with a break witch a chance to clinch the Davis Cup if he wins. Very entertaining and fast paced match so far with Federer moving much better than 2 days ago against Monfils.

Get the bloody thing!

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
6:4 6:2 and Federer is cruising. What a performance so far. Feels lik I haven't seen him move and hit this well for years. This is very reminiscent of his form pre 2008. Unplayable

ZDwyr

6:4 6:2 and Federer is cruising. What a performance so far. Feels lik I haven't seen him move and hit this well for years. This is very reminiscent of his form pre 2008. Unplayable
Agree. Shame he didn't get a slam this year. His form has been very good throughout.