Terry Venables has passed away

Loon

:lol:
I remember him chuckling away with delight the night we did the treble. He was on the ITV panel at the Nou Camp.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Euro 96 with him as manager was one of my earliest footballing memories. Didn’t realise he was 80 for whatever reason

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Euro 96 with him as manager was one of my earliest footballing memories
Likewise. I loved that tournament and all the national pride around it as a kid. Old Wembley rocking to Baddiel and Skinner, Shearer and Sheringham smashing the Dutch, Gazza doing Gazza things against the Scots, Seaman against the Spanish. Great times.
Im shocked by this news, very sad. RIP Terry.

Guy Incognito

I remember him chuckling away with delight the night we did the treble. He was on the ITV panel at the Nou Camp.
Forgot his time as a pundit. Didn't he talk a lot about 'pro zone', which was the 'thing' in the early 00s?

RIP.

Trequarista10

Synonymous with Euro '96 for me. I've heard a few interviews/podcasts with ex-pros and they all talk about him in glowing terms as a man and a manager.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I will maintain that England's performance at Euro '96 is one of the main reasons for the growth of the English game in the last 30 years.

RIP Tel.

The Purley King

Likewise. I loved that tournament and all the national pride around it as a kid. Old Wembley rocking to Baddiel and Skinner, Shearer and Sheringham smashing the Dutch, Gazza doing Gazza things against the Scots, Seaman against the Spanish. Great times.
Im shocked by this news, very sad. RIP Terry.
Same here, he was a major part of the best international tournament I’ve ever seen.
Plus you forgot psycho smashing in that penalty against Spain.
Still the best ever celebration!!
RIP El Tel

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Very sad, the first Euros I remember as a kid. He always seemed like a nice bloke and loved football. England in that era played with so much passion.

black country red

Great manager for England I was at the match against QPR early 94 the weekend before he got the job he was sat with sir Alex in the directors box got a great reception from both sets of fans

Eric_the_Red99

Typically thoughtful tribute from Gary Neville. Venables was the first England manager he played under.

Alex B

Gutting news, everybody loved Terry Venables - much like Bobby Robson. Giant of the game, underrated manager, probably a top 10 English manager of all time

cj_sparky

Euro '96 is the first real tournament I remember for England, it generated so much enthusiasm for myself and the game in general for the nation. It also created so many memorable moments, I cannot remember how many times I tried to recreate Gazza's goal against Scotland in my back garden as a kid.

RIP El Tel

Blood Mage

Probably the third best English manager after Ramsey and Robson? RIP El Tel

Pes6Monster

Well said Gary, what a fantastic tournament euro 96 was, great memories.
RIP.
Euro 96 was a frankly awful tournament of low scoring, technically dull and cynical football - a miniature Italia 90, but England under Venables really stood out.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
RIP Terry, one of the few excellent players to become an excellent manager/coach. England were certainly good to watch under his reign.