TFM to Ajax?

Wheato

We need to look at how effective sending players on loan is, it doesn’t appear to be any more effective than keeping them in the U23s, where they’d have the added benefit of being around the club and being available if the first team needs them.

Out of Lingard, McTominay, Rashford and Pereira, 2 never went on loan, Lingard had 4 loans at Championship level and wasn’t ready for our squad until he was 23, and Pereira’s loans don’t seem to have helped him at all.

I’m thinking if a player isn’t suitable for the first team by 20, they aren’t likely to be and they should be sold with either a buy-back, or sent on a long-term 2 year loan.
More a case of sending them to clubs where they will get a game, and pulling them when they don't. Look at Tuanzebe at Villa. He has become their best defender. He will be in our first team squad next season. McTominay for me should be going out to the likes of West Brom, Middlesborough to see if he can find his best role and gain some experience and build his confidence. No point sending them to PL clubs where they are below the level of their current starting 11.

Nick7

We need to look at how effective sending players on loan is, it doesn’t appear to be any more effective than keeping them in the U23s, where they’d have the added benefit of being around the club and being available if the first team needs them.

Out of Lingard, McTominay, Rashford and Pereira, 2 never went on loan, Lingard had 4 loans at Championship level and wasn’t ready for our squad until he was 23, and Pereira’s loans don’t seem to have helped him at all.

I’m thinking if a player isn’t suitable for the first team by 20, they aren’t likely to be and they should be sold with either a buy-back, or sent on a long-term 2 year loan.
How good is keeping a player in the under 23's though? Plenty highly thought of talent have stayed in the u23's well past when they should have left and have stagnated.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
What's he worth then?
I'd be surprised if he's sold for anything more than £10m. I thought he'd be a solid player but he can't get a game at the bottom end of the table.

He was bought for £350k, according to Transfermarkt, so £10m would be decent really given that he hasn't really stepped up after initially looking impressive.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I'd be surprised if he's sold for anything more than £10m. I thought he'd be a solid player but he can't get a game at the bottom end of the table.

He was bought for £350k, according to Transfermarkt, so £10m would be decent really given that he hasn't really stepped up after initially looking impressive.
Great name though.

Gopher Brown

How good is keeping a player in the under 23's though? Plenty highly thought of talent have stayed in the u23's well past when they should have left and have stagnated.
I agree with this too. It’s a very flawed system trying to get young players experienced enough for the first team.

Rashford barely played for the U23s either, he was straight from the U18s.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Let's hope it goes as well as the Cantona deal. They call us to try to get TFM from us, and end up selling de Ligt to us instead. For about £20 million.

yo@Kirk

TFM will have served the club well if he helps United acquire a rare talent like Matthijs de Ligt.

Nick7

I agree with this too. It’s a very flawed system trying to get young players experienced enough for the first team.

Rashford barely played for the U23s either, he was straight from the U18s.
It's a fine line between it all really. Not every player is like Rashford and will make the step up from u18's to first team. A lot just aren't ready for that.

I like the model in Spain where B teams play in the lower leagues. It keeps players a part of the club, but also affords valuable professional game time.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
So he's not good enough for Fulham but Ajax see him replacing their captain?
There are so many things that go into a loan spell being successful or not. I'm generally not a fan of them. I don't believe for one second TFM isn't good enough to get into their squad. And I'm not even a big admirer of his. The coach doesn't want him and made it clear as soon as he came because he wanted to bring another loan signing. These things happen.
Many things can happen. But i doubt tfm is united material. If quality wise he's united material fulham will have to play him. He hardly rocks any boat when he's there

ErranMorad

Always looked a better athlete than a football player. Never really liked his performances for the first team. Did just about reasonably in a couple of games at RB but was a train wreck and a waiting red card the time he played at CB. I don't know where the "he can be a DM" line of thought comes from. The guy is technically poor, has no positional sense (even at RB), is a mediocre passer and a poor reader of the game.

Tuanzebe has looked like the better player of the two & should be the one introduced to the first team in a season or two.

Zlatattack

Do you reckon he'll be our Micah Richards? Big strong lad, is he a CB, is he a RB, is he actually any good?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
For every Gnabry there are hundreds of failures. Will Keane, Blackett, Reece James, Amos, Tunnicliffe, Petrucci, De Leat, Chester. Just some of the examples from this decade. I could go on forever baby.
Gnabry was highly rated whereas the ones you mentioned were essentially squad fillers at youth level, the only exception being Petrucci and Keane and injuries destroyed them.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
A loan deal might help him.
Why on earth would anyone think Ajax would take a kid who chose to leave the club at 16, and is now failing to get into a poor Fulham, side back on loan?

Yup.... Wouldn't be a bad idea to have Chong go on loan to Ajax and get better as I don't see him getting much game time over here.....
Why would Ajax want Chong on loan?

Also I'm sorry to say but United really ruined this player. When he joined you, TFM was as highly rated nearly as De Ligt was around that age (not quite, but not far off). He was the captain of his age-group for both Holland and Ajax and looked an incredibly complete centre back. Playing him on the midfield and then trying to turn him into a makeshift RB, where he's clearly never had any clue where to be positionally, was a terrible decision (esp. in hindsight but also at the time).

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Why on earth would anyone think Ajax would take a kid who chose to leave the club at 16, and is now failing to get into a poor Fulham, side back on loan?

Also I'm sorry to say but United really ruined this player. When he joined you, TFM was as highly rated nearly as De Ligt was around that age (not quite, but not far off). He was the captain of his age-group for both Holland and Ajax and looked an incredibly complete centre back. Playing him on the midfield and then trying to turn him into a makeshift RB, where he's clearly never had any clue where to be positionally, was a terrible decision (esp. in hindsight but also at the time).
He had some pretty solid performances at RB under LvG, to be fair.

There was the away game at Spurs where he was having a stormer. Then he came off with a knock, Darmian came on and we immediately shipped 3.

Member 93275

Who cares about TFM when our real priority should be to get McTominay to cover Frenkie's place.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
And they just sold Frenkie to Barca, and will in all probability sell De Ligt for a massive free in the summer as well.

But I think that poster was more worried about wages, than the transfer fee. Not sure how much we're paying TFM anyway. Shouldn't be that high.
That's the first part of my comment. Blind and Tadic are players on higher wages.

POF

Some of the comments on here are extremely harsh. He's a superbly talented footballer who doesn't really know how to play any position because he has no experience in one particular role. He's been shunted around because he can play just about anywhere.

He's also been really unlucky with his loans. Frank De Boer took him on loan to Palace and lasted 4 games. Jokanovic was the manager who signed him at Fulham and didn't make it to Christmas. He had some good games at both clubs but I honestly think EPL loans were too high a level. He has no experience playing full back so if that's his position he needs to be at a club where he can play there regularly and a mistake or 2 won't cost him his place.

It's amazing how people are writing him off and raving about Tuanzebe. TFM was able to get EPL loans when Tuanzebe couldn't. There isn't much between them in terms of talent. I would have rathered TFM play out the season at right back in the u23s than sit on Fulham's bench.

el3mel

I'll sell. He will never come good enough for a big club imo because he doesn't have any sort of talent. You can't make it at high level just because you are a strong athlete.

tony54

Everytime ive seen him play he has been ok for us. Someone with his speed and strength should have been nurtured better although at least at fulham he has got games in. Anyone would think he was 25 or older when talking about his positional play and distribution, he's still young and these skills can be developed.
Admitably Ive not sèen him playing in our youth teams but to me he could be developed into a very good midfielder and selling him would be absolutely stupid at this stage. He should be brought back and given specific coaching and game time.

That's Jose for you, all of the young players LVG brought through were doing well till he arrived. Especially the ones with potential, then Jose just shipped them all out on loan instead of trying to develop them. The only loan that's going well is probably Tuanazebe and that's because Bruce got sacked because before he had Tunazebe playing at RB too.

Tiber

Not sure Ajax can afford his salary.

Such a shame his promising career has not panned out. Really had such high hopes for him a few years back.

Weird. Ajax may not be Man City but they are a large European club. I think they can afford a premier League squad player

Fracture90

He's got 14 months left on contract with us and we got another 1 year option. Imo he was never a RB to begin with, the only reason he's constantly being played in that position is due to his athleticism and power.

As some have suggested, I see him more as a CB or a destroyer DMF type, provided he can develop his skills on the ball a bit better.

In any case, he could be used to sweeten the De Ligt deal, although his value isn't that great tbh, but in either case there should be multiple clauses in place like sell on %, first refusal or a butback at a fixed price.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He’s worth about 10m at best. I can’t see him changing any potential deal for De Ligt in any way.

kidbob

Straight swap for De Ligt. They get a Premier League experienced young player while we take the risk of taking a talent from the Farmer's League second division.

Member 93275

That's Jose for you, all of the young players LVG brought through were doing well till he arrived. Especially the ones with potential, then Jose just shipped them all out on loan instead of trying to develop them. The only loan that's going well is probably Tuanazebe and that's because Bruce got sacked because before he had Tunazebe playing at RB too.
I don't know, sometimes such a premise is right, but on the other hand there are plenty of players when they were young were just as good as star X, and even if they stayed did not develop into the full product.

Also there are plenty of players who fought their way up through smaller clubs, loan deals or not. For example VVD played for clubs of similar size as TFM and won himself a transfer to Liverpool, to be regarded now as one of the best in his position in the PL.

I feel TFM is being let off a bit too much. He has been at United and other PL clubs and hasn't taken the chances.