THAT penalty shootout

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
BT just uploaded the full penalty shootout from Moscow 2008 so I just watched it again. No matter how many times I watch it I still get so nervous. I can't even watch Ronaldo's pen!

That John Terry moment though *chef's kiss*

Robertd0803

BT just uploaded the full penalty shootout from Moscow 2008 so I just watched it again. No matter how many times I watch it I still get so nervous. I can't even watch Ronaldo's pen!

That John Terry moment though *chef's kiss*

Chills everytime. My favourite United moment.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Move along people....nothing to see here.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I watched the highlights of the game about 30 mins ago. I was emotional and almost in tears. One of the happiest days of my life.
I would kill for us to get back to that level where we are playing and winning CL finals.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I watched the highlights of the game about 30 mins ago. I was emotional and almost in tears. One of the happiest days of my life.
I would kill for us to get back to that level where we are playing and winning CL finals.
You'd end up in jail though and most likely miss the finals anyway. Not sure it's worth it.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Terry never looked confident did he?
Who cares about that attention seeking, captain’s armband fixing while walking to the penalty spot crybaby?
We as fans were nervous wrecks! I thought it was was written in the stars that Ronaldo of all people would miss a penalty and Mr Chelsea of all people winning it for them.

Phew, what fine margins sometimes!

Judas

Open to offers
What a night. Never forget having my match programme in hand and me and my dad watching Terry's penalty not in our seats but from the stairs as my dad was convinced Terry was scoring and wanting us to get the hell out of the stadium quickly, then having to scramble back to our seats :lol: knew then it was meant to be. Still gets chills watching the highlights.

Still say Ronaldo missing his penalty was one of the most sure things of that shootout.

phonics_tid

Your Mother Was a Hamster and Your Father Smelt of
The first and only time my Mum has ever called me a cnut was during that shootout.

My brother is a Chelsea fan and my mum leaned towards them a bit as well. Apparently I was ‘over’ celebrating when VDS saved Anelka‘s effort.

My brother went to bed in tears and my Mum told me to go and apologise to him. I don’t know what came over me but when I opened his bedroom door and saw his grief stricken face, I couldn’t help myself but to celebrate again!

Fredo

You broke my heart!
That bloody shootout!

I was still in university, dormitory, 100 boys (literally) watching the game, we united fans were on on side of the hall and the others (chelsea and other teams supporters were on the other side) all sitting in plastic chairs that we gathered from the university's auditorium for that game. Ronaldo misses, we're all depressed, Terry comes in to shoot, electricity goes off right before he started his run, no TV, no internet, nothing, 10 mins later, tv starts, we see Ronaldo in tears, we thought we lost, then the commentator says and United wins in Moscow! We erupted, still by far the most emotional rollercoaster I had during all those years of supporting this great club!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Much like the George Best goal in the 68 European final, after dummying the keeper I still think he's going to miss, I think Van Der Sar is going to go to the opposite side of Anelka's effort.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I actually turned the TV off when Ronaldo missed. Was watching with my brother and my old man (both United fans) and we couldn't take it. Turned it back on as Hargreaves smashed it in. Don't think my heart rate has gone down since

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Still vividly remember that shoot out.

Feeling utterly dejected as Terry stepped up.

Screaming at my mate to calm down when he hit the post because it hadn't been won yet.

Another mate saying Anelka didn't fancy it as he walked towards the penalty spot.

Amazing night, I cried.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Going from the agony of (almost) losing to the ecstasy of winning in a short space of time. Mental night. Nearly went to Moscow with my dad too as we got offered tickets :(

Tarrou

was in the crowd behind the goal

some lad sat behind me had passed out from being vodka drunk at some point during the second half, he came around when Terry missed as everyone went apeshit

my overriding memory from the whole trip was the atmosphere in the United end as Terry was walking up, with thousands of peoples collectively shitting themselves

most of us had had a right time of it getting there, getting tickets, flights and hotels sorted.. you can just feel everyone thinking feck me if this cnut scores this now

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I always think he was already planning his celebration. Think he would have shared lifting the cup with Lampard had they won it?
Oh, he was absolutely doing that. Hence the adjustment of the armband to put it on full show. What a bellend

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
was in the crowd behind the goal

some lad sat behind me had passed out from being vodka drunk at some point during the second half, he came around when Terry missed as everyone went apeshit

my overriding memory from the whole trip was the atmosphere in the United end as Terry was walking up, with thousands of peoples collectively shitting themselves

most of us had had a right time of it getting there, getting tickets, flights and hotels sorted.. you can just feel everyone thinking feck me if this cnut scores this now
Must've been amazing. I don't think I would have been able to stomach it. I could easily walk out of the room when things were going bad. That penalty shootout would have killed me in the stadium.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Can’t top 99.
Absolutely not. I went mental, left the flat to go celebrate with some mates, forgot I had left stuff in the oven and got back hours later to find the fire brigade: the kitchen was on fire :lol: :devil:

stw2022

There was YouTube video for years taken by fan behind the goal, yelling at VDS “Come on Raimond”

Oldyella

I always think he was already planning his celebration. Think he would have shared lifting the cup with Lampard had they won it?
Maybe but I could see him wanting the limelight to himself. Always thought he would miss though, just looked scared.

Eric_the_Red99

The commentary on Hargreaves penalty "Just, Just" - Bullsh*t - it was textbook top corner, a sensational penalty.
He was such a key player for us in the final and throughout that season. Obviously his injury problems meant this was the peak of his Utd career, and it’s sad he’s become so bitter towards the club, but what I’d give for a player like him to shore up our midfield right now.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
The first and only time my Mum has ever called me a cnut was during that shootout.

My brother is a Chelsea fan and my mum leaned towards them a bit as well. Apparently I was ‘over’ celebrating when VDS saved Anelka‘s effort.

My brother went to bed in tears and my Mum told me to go and apologise to him. I don’t know what came over me but when I opened his bedroom door and saw his grief stricken face, I couldn’t help myself but to celebrate again!
:lol: :lol:
Can’t believe your mothers favourite child is your brother.

Kopral Jono

To this day I'm still wondering how my late grandfather, the man who single-handedly made me a United fan, survived the night. He was close to eighty at the time, just had a heart operation a few months prior and his eyes were glued to the television throughout the shootout, convinced that our name was written in the stars with the whole Busby Babes anniversary situation even as Terry was stepping up to take that fateful penalty. He died peacefully about a year later, with us being the defending European Cup winners.

What a night!

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
The whole game was incredibly tense. The shootout was on a new level of nerves. Certainly the most I have felt watching a game. More than 99, because in that game we fell behind and never looked like getting back into the game

Skills

Snitch
Chelsea were one formidable opponent too. To win it against them made it more special

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That Ronaldo pen was horrible. The stuttering, and then ending with a one step kick.
Was no surprise he missed.