The ‘Deputy Football Director’ position | 31.05.2022 - Andy O’Boyle appointed

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
And which forum would that be then??

Please do help myself out here......

As I thought, perhaps somewhat mistakenly, that this was the "Manchester United Forum"???

And this is to do with Manchester United, so how is this not the correct forum???
There is a ladies forum, a sub-forum of this one which is the mens forum

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Sparky Rhiwabon

They work with all football league academies to improve the development of players and coaches.

They have created programs to train more and better coaches and made an apprenticeship scheme. They also do a lot of research projects into preventing injuries at youth level and the concept of bio-banding. That’s why they must have at least a masters in sports science.
Alright, cheers for the insight

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Drop Arnold a DM on LinkedIn and see what happens :D

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/richard-arnold-4068a22
done.

“hey arnold,

i hope this dm finds you well. please ignore any previous dms and images sent from this account. i was in a bad place and going through what my therapist has termed “the vegetable phase.”

i understand a role has been created at the manchester football team for a deputy football director. i am a little offended that you would consider my skillset to fit within a lowly deputy position but i will apply nonetheless.

i understand the current football director both gained and retains his job due to the fact he is scottish. being scottish is something i presently cannot offer to your brand. though through the wonders of modern science it may be possible to inject myself with cholesterol and ingest some kind of miracle drug that forces me to be attracted to relatives whilst simultaneously becoming allergic to hard work.

scottishness aside, i believe i am well qualified for the position. i have spent over 10 years on a popular manchester united forum and i have a good feel for the kinds of decisions fans want to see the club making. i have also spent some time on redcafe. fans want to see united;

1. selling rashford.
  2. keeping rashford.
  3. renewing player contracts only when they are about to expire.
  4. letting all player contracts expire.
  5. not letting any player contacts expire.
  6. renewing all contracts.
  7. promoting youth players and once they get too old or unfashionable (rashford) then promote more youth.
  8. rescinding sir alec ferguson’s record and forcing him to repay any salary from his time at the club.
  9. live streaming a daily crucifixion of ed woodward. his wife and kids must be in attendance.
  10. purchasing only hungry players who know the league already
  11. ignoring any domestic players and focusing on buying undiscovered foreign gems, such as bellixy jangle and rafferty hole.
armed with this knowledge, alongside the extensive 965 minutes i have spent watching live football, there can only be one candidate for the role.

ta.”

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I thought Murtough’s remit as football director involved covering the women’s team anyway?
Murtough was the football director at youth/reserves and the Women's team. But since he was appointed football director to also cover the first team in 2021, his work load has increased, especially after Ole was sacked. And he's been doing the work of two people, where at other clubs the DoF is assisted by a assistant DoF.

Fletcher's role is similar to what one would describe someone working as a youth coordinator in Germany. And if I was to give you a example, then i'd say the role Lars Ricken (ex BvB player) was first employed in as a youth coordinator at Dortmund is the one Fletcher is doing right now for us. Ricken has since worked himself up to a position of academy/youth director. So basically Ricken is the technical director at youth level and oversees that side of the club and answers to the head of football operations Michael Zorc and his assistant Sebastian Kehl. We're looking for our version of Kehl and hence the reports about a deputy DoF being sought.

What is the role of someone working as the head of elite performance in the premier league? The role entails one to oversee and develop the football side at professional clubs where they direct clubs in how to develop players, coaching and the sports science side of said clubs. And it's why someone like Murtough was employed in such a role because he's experienced at hiring coaches/developing youth and advising clubs on youth development. The players and coaches then go on to bigger and better things. For example he hired Gary Brazil at Fulham as youth coach almost 20 years ago, and Gary Brazil has developed really well in the field and his work at Nottingham Forest's academy has seen them make the FA Youth Cup final for the first time in their history.

estel_manutd

It seems Peter Doyle, Paul Mitcheln and Micheal Emenalo are three of the four candidates under consideration. What are the odds that Ralf is the fourth candidate?

Sparky Rhiwabon

Murtough was the football director at youth/reserves and the Women's team. But since he was appointed football director to also cover the first team in 2021, his work load has increased, especially after Ole was sacked. And he's been doing the work of two people, where at other clubs the DoF is assisted by a assistant DoF.

Fletcher's role is similar to what one would describe someone working as a youth coordinator in Germany. And if I was to give you a example, then i'd say the role Lars Ricken (ex BvB player) was first employed in as a youth coordinator at Dortmund is the one Fletcher is doing right now for us. Ricken has since worked himself up to a position of academy/youth director. So basically Ricken is the technical director at youth level and oversees that side of the club and answers to the head of football operations Michael Zorc and his assistant Sebastian Kehl. We're looking for our version of Kehl and hence the reports about a deputy DoF being sought.

What is the role of someone working as the head of elite performance in the premier league? The role entails one to oversee and develop the football side at professional clubs where they direct clubs in how to develop players, coaching and the sports science side of said clubs. And it's why someone like Murtough was employed in such a role because he's experienced at hiring coaches/developing youth and advising clubs on youth development. The players and coaches then go on to bigger and better things. For example he hired Gary Brazil at Fulham as youth coach almost 20 years ago, and Gary Brazil has developed really well in the field and his work at Nottingham Forest's academy has seen them make the FA Youth Cup final for the first time in their history.
In a similar vein, maybe we could give Alan Brazil a go. Knows the club, and has a wealth of business experience including running his own Horse Racing club, and knows how to handle the media of course. Has a keen eye for talent, whether that’s footballers (through his TalkSport role), horses or women, and when the trophies start flowing he’ll know exactly which brand of champagne to source.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
In a similar vein, maybe we could give Alan Brazil a go. Knows the club, and has a wealth of business experience including running his own Horse Racing club, and knows how to handle the media of course. Has a keen eye for talent, whether that’s footballers (through his TalkSport role), horses or women, and when the trophies start flowing he’ll know exactly which brand of champagne to source.
That experience isn't going to help him or us in the role in question.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
ETH : "I want Tadic"
Fletcher : "I'm in. He's a neat player"
Ralf : "That will only work for short term, I will only agree to it if he comes without a transfer fee and earning not more than what he gets at ajax. Otherwise it's unacceptable. We need to stop stockpiling sunset players"
Fletcher : "I agree with Ralf, he is my mentor"
Murtough : "I have brought in Ronaldo and Varancho in ONE window. Why should we bring in a player like Tadic? where are the big names?! this is an insult to our capability"
Mr. Deputy Football Director : "ORDER!"

It's what he does.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Paul Mitchell is a big fan of eastenders. So we know how his character is like

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
According to Ornstein, Mitchell is wanted by Chelsea as technical director. Thank god we secured Fletcher for the role. Can you imagine how many clubs would want this guy if we didn't sign him up?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Chelsea already have Marina. Why would they need Paul. One thing they don't need any change is their board who oversee the transfers

Skills

Snitch
According to Ornstein, Mitchell is wanted by Chelsea as technical director. Thank god we secured Fletcher for the role. Can you imagine how many clubs would want this guy if we didn't sign him up?
:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Give Fletcher a chance.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Chelsea already have Marina. Why would they need Paul. One thing they don't need any change is their board who oversee the transfers
Her position is a lot higher than technical director and she's probably leaving after the sale

Last edited:

L1nk

Give Fletcher a chance.
Why though? You have a guy world renowned for being damn good in his field, who’s wanted by other clubs, who is recommended by top minds in the game and has years of experience in this league and in Europe. But forget all that, what good is all that when we have a guy that used to be a half decent player for us years ago. It’s just ridiculous, best in class, thats what we should be going for.

roseguy64

Why though? You have a guy world renowned for being damn good in his field, who’s wanted by other clubs, who is recommended by top minds in the game and has years of experience in this league and in Europe. But forget all that, what good is all that when we have a guy that used to be a half decent player for us years ago. It’s just ridiculous, best in class, thats what we should be going for.
You realise that different clubs have different duties for similar job titles. Petr Cech is doing at Chelsea what Fletcher does at Man United. Fletcher being at the club would have no impact on Mitchell being able to join. They would be doing different jobs. What Mitchell would be joining Chelsea for is what he'd be joining United to do.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You realise that different clubs have different duties for similar job titles. Petr Cech is doing at Chelsea what Fletcher does at Man United. Fletcher being at the club would have no impact on Mitchell being able to join. They would be doing different jobs. What Mitchell would be joining Chelsea for is what he'd be joining United to do.
Or maybe the new regime want to replace Cech ha

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This is quite interesting off the back of Lawlor and Bout going today.
Yes very much so. Would be a very interesting appointment. I can't speak for how well Bout/Lawlor were doing their jobs, however having another well respected football voice in the structure, such as Mitchell, can only be a good thing.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
If we get Mitchell in, looks as if all pieces are falling in place to take us back to being an elite club again.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yes very much so. Would be a very interesting appointment. I can't speak for how well Bout/Lawlor were doing their jobs, however having another well respected football voice in the structure, such as Mitchell, can only be a good thing.
I’m genuinely encouraged by what I’m seeing at the moment and the speed of it. On pitch is falling apart but it feels like off field the club is finally accepting and implementing real change.

TheReligion

Abusive
It looks like United have secured van der Gaag and are considering Mcclaren. That would be a great set up for me.

If you add to that Mitchell coming in as part of the change in player scouting/recruitment, Rangnick in his advisory role, and Fletcher/Murtagh that’s a hugely positive structured rebuild.

L1nk

Although i've read elsewhere it might have been to replace Fletcher as Technical Director

Matt851

Although i've read elsewhere it might have been to replace Fletcher as Technical Director
No one of ashworths stature would be taking a job as a deputy football director

It's hard to believe we are seriously interested in improving the way we are run whilst we still have the likes of muetough and Fletcher in the most senior positions whilst seeking to recruit more experienced and appropriate people in other positions (e.g. deputy or interim manager). Just get the right people for the fecking job for one

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No one of ashworths stature would be taking a job as a deputy football director

It's hard to believe we are seriously interested in improving the way we are run whilst we still have the likes of muetough and Fletcher in the most senior positions whilst seeking to recruit more experienced and appropriate people in other positions (e.g. deputy or interim manager). Just get the right people for the fecking job for one
I'm not sure the the hire will actually be a deputy, especially since the Cheif scout has left the club.

MUW4Eva

We are crying out for a Director of Football, specifically for the women's team, to solely work on issues relating to the women's team, to sort out the scouting department, & to bring everything up to modern day standards.

The sooner we do this, the better.

That should be where are priority should be.

roseguy64

There's very little chance Ashworth or Mitchell would have been in line to replace Fletcher. That would be them taking a less senior position than they already hold in the job they were/are in.

L1nk

We are crying out for a Director of Football, specifically for the women's team, to solely work on issues relating to the women's team, to sort out the scouting department, & to bring everything up to modern day standards.

The sooner we do this, the better.

That should be where are priority should be.
Isn't Jon Murtough the Director of Football though, technically?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

The athletic article insinuated any approach was unlikely to be compatible with our current structure anyway.

Thats why Id be surprised if we got Mitchell.

MUW4Eva

Technically, perhaps he is, but we need a dedicated person to focus 24/7 on the women's team, not someone who has other duties, and does it part time, or when his other duties allow.

We need someone with the contacts in the women's game, and the knowledge about it, something that don't have right now.

tomaldinho1

I made this point a few times when it was announced but you have to remember the club made clear his title wasn’t DoF but Football Director. It was classic Woody appeasement in my eyes.

When you look at backgrounds and add the context of the recent scouting departures, it seems to me that Murtough is much closer to a classic ‘Technical Director’, particularly given his expertise is player pathways and Fletcher is basically his assistant and we are now actually going to hire a real DoF who will focus on recruitment (and have an expertise in that area).

Matt851

The athletic article insinuated any approach was unlikely to be compatible with our current structure anyway.

Thats why Id be surprised if we got Mitchell.
It's so obvious ashworth wouldn't fit into our structure i don't know why we would bother, other than sheer idiocy or if Fletcher is on his way out