The ‘Deputy Football Director’ position | 31.05.2022 - Andy O’Boyle appointed

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Don't know anything about him, but seems to have an actual solid footballing background, so hopeful. I hope his experience can help up the performance levels of whomever survives the cull and we focus on fitness and stamina moving forward.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Being multifaceted is important and O'Boyle's experience in sports science, medicine, scouting/recruitment etc makes him a potentially very good hire to help oversee the multiple departments on the football side of the club.

RkkMan

Before people render him a failure or judge him on what he either has or hasn't "won" read this.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Being multifaceted is important and O'Boyle's experience in sports science, medicine, scouting/recruitment etc makes him a potentially very good hire to help oversee the multiple departments on the football side of the club.
Areas we're seriously lacking

AndySmith1990

Another encouraging appointment. Modernising the club structure is just as important as the transfers

TheReligion

Abusive
It does seem that the club are appointing people to fit a specific vision. Everyone seems heavily linked to fitness, sports science and development. All dovetail nicely with EtH and his ethos and coaching style.

Cloud7

On paper he looks like a good hire, so another encouraging step here.

Added to that he looks well on his way to being bald and thus adding to our growing repertoire of bald frauds :drool:

MDFC Manager

He's coming from the same role that Murtough once held at the PL right?

Could we have done better/got someone with more diverse experiences?

KwendaHuko

John Murtough is employing people he knows. It's easy to see from a eyeball test.

Even the head of recruitment area, is that he has not found one of the people he knows.

It might work or it might not like Ralf scenario.

We just need to cross our fingers.

Elcabron

As rumoured and expected for awhile. We're fully Murtough FC now. Lets keep our fingers crossed that it all works out.
I hear ya. Murtogh does seem to have a lot of power now. His first real big decision was a disaster i.e. bring in a coach for six months who will not be able to implement his renowned philosophy due to:

1. Not having the players
2. Not having the coaches
3. Not having the time, even with the right players and the right coaches it takes six months to get a pressing style going.

At least this appointment however seems to be a sensible one as far as I can tell and may even reduce some of the key person dependency that has started to build with Murtogh.

Skills

Snitch

I think he's hired to do the role that Murtough was doing for most of the last 8 years, while Murtough himself is shifting focus with his role. Seems like he was doing both things for the last year or so.

LoneStar

Very promising indeed. It looks like we are restructuring significantly these last couple of months. It will take time for the changes though, so we'll know whether the new setup is good in the coming seasons.

Makes partial sense why Ralf was let go too, too many cooks and all that.

Skills

Snitch
Makes partial sense why Ralf was let go too, too many cooks and all that.
He was also just far too loud and was going to become a distraction.

If you look at the personalities of the group at the club now, they all seem more subdued and more likely to keep their heads down and just get on with stuff.

JB7

He was also just far too loud and was going to become a distraction.

If you look at the personalities of the group at the club now, they all seem more subdued and more likely to keep their heads down and just get on with stuff.
Yes, this is the critical thing with regards to RR in my view. I don't think they felt they could trust him to keep his mouth shut, particularly with him stepping into a national team role where he would be regularly answering questions very publicly.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Once Korn Ferry started to implement their org structure I am sure United will function more streamlined rather than having so many chiefs -- which has led to poor or lack of long term strategies and paralysis.

Withnail

Yes, this is the critical thing with regards to RR in my view. I don't think they felt they could trust him to keep his mouth shut, particularly with him stepping into a national team role where he would be regularly answering questions very publicly.
Good point - he'd be shooting his mouth off every international break. We certainly seem to be doing the right things and getting more football people in. Hopefully it bears fruit over the next few seasons.

croadyman

I am willing to give him a chance, was hoping we might get Mitchell but no chance when Ralf went

sglowrider

Good point - he'd be shooting his mouth off every international break. We certainly seem to be doing the right things and getting more football people in. Hopefully it bears fruit over the next few seasons.
Shooting off his mouth really is about self-promotion like his video years ago teaching the general public about the tactics and his genius.

sglowrider

At least we now know that the ditching of Rangnick as a consultant wasn't just because of the ETH discussion. The process must have started at least a month ago considering that they must have interviewed a bunch of people besides Boyle. (Based on Rangnick's background his remit would have been like an assistant DOF.)

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
At least we now know that the ditching of Rangnick as a consultant wasn't just because of the ETH discussion. The process must have started at least a month ago considering that they must have interviewed a bunch of people besides Boyle. (Based on Rangnick's background his remit would have been like an assistant DOF.)
I agree but I can't blame people for being worried considering the illogical nature of our decision make in the last decade.

Let's hope we're really getting our house in order.

Longshanks

I hear ya. Murtogh does seem to have a lot of power now. His first real big decision was a disaster i.e. bring in a coach for six months who will not be able to implement his renowned philosophy due to:

1. Not having the players
2. Not having the coaches
3. Not having the time, even with the right players and the right coaches it takes six months to get a pressing style going.

At least this appointment however seems to be a sensible one as far as I can tell and may even reduce some of the key person dependency that has started to build with Murtogh.
The thing is about the ralf appointment i can't help but think they wanted to bring in a 'modern pressing coach' on a full time basis once it became clear that Ole was going to fail.

I derided Ralf for being rubbish, because he was but I can't help but feel he was the only pressing coach available at the time to come in on an interim basis to give a new permanent manager a head start on the players ability to play in a high press system. Once it became clear that there wasn't enough suitable players to implement a high press system it also became clear that ralf is a very limited coach.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Irrespective of qualifications, we've again appointed a mechanic in the middle of the race.

The club has steadily been reducing my optimism for this upcoming season for a few days now. I hope for the best but it's looking like another 'we'll do better next season' season coming for United.

Tiber

I hope he has more experience building a team than Murtough does