The ‘Deputy Football Director’ position | 31.05.2022 - Andy O’Boyle appointed

Crick

Unlikely. If he did join your club, let’s say by April, really not sure how much he will influence the summer transfer window within 3 months of getting the job. Would likely be reduced to a few recommendations but definitely not a major overhaul in such a short time. You would expect a competent board would already have plans in place for the summer, with or without him.
I was talking about an addition of players knowledge base for us to use. We don't have a competent board. The more outside help from people who know what they are doing the better. He knows RR well. They could and should work well together.

MUW4Eva

Hopefully we are still working on bringing in someone as a Director of Football for the women's team, someone with intimate knowledge of the women's game, and also crucially, someone who has contacts in the women's game, to open doors that perhaps Skinner alone can't.

It would be good if that could be finalised pretty soon as well.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Hopefully we are still working on bringing in someone as a Director of Football for the women's team, someone with intimate knowledge of the women's game, and also crucially, someone who has contacts in the women's game, to open doors that perhaps Skinner alone can't.

It would be good if that could be finalised pretty soon as well.
That was something that was reported to be happening a while back. Hopefully someone is appointed for the Women's team soon.

croadyman

Mitchell would be my first choice for this role, however O' Boyle could be interesting because will know scouse strengths but also weaknesses too from working there.

MUW4Eva

That was something that was reported to be happening a while back. Hopefully someone is appointed for the Women's team soon.
It just seems to have gone silent on the search to fill that position, loads of headlines about the new possible men's manager, but nothing about a really key role that needs to be filled.

Hopefully the people responsible are not just putting it on the back burner to prioritise the men's positions that require filling, as the women's team needs are just as vital.

SAF is the GOAT

Am I the only one who wants to know why the bloody hell the PL needs an head of elite performance ?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
First listed job is an academy coach with us for 7 months back in 2006

Jobs for the boys FC confirmed! #herewego #uniteddna #cocksout
Daft post. Attacking a candidate before they’ve even been appointed when he is current head of the FA’s Elite Performance unit.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Why would Mitchell accept a demotion? He has a higher reputatuon than Murtough ffs!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It just seems to have gone silent on the search to fill that position, loads of headlines about the new possible men's manager, but nothing about a really key role that needs to be filled.

Hopefully the people responsible are not just putting it on the back burner to prioritise the men's positions that require filling, as the women's team needs are just as vital.
I don’t agree, sorry to say. The mens game is where all the money is coming from so that will take priority

golden_blunder

Staff
O'Boyle is big mates with Murtough isn't he?
There’s a difference from knowing someone outside their environment and knowing someone as ‘mates’ through work.
if I was building a team for a new project I’d start by trying to recruit people I worked with before because i know how they work, I know what their strengths and weaknesses are and I know what output I will get from them. If they aren’t available then I’d look for an unknown

Chairman Steve

Daft post. Attacking a candidate before they’ve even been appointed when he is current head of the FA’s Elite Performance unit.
I wasn’t being serious in that post :p I was hoping the mocking, obnoxious hashtags would give it away.

O’Boyle seems like an interesting choice looking at his experience. Wasnt Murtough something like Head of Elite Performance for the Premier League before he joined here too? How does that job work considering the Premier League is not a club and does not play on a weekly basis?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I wasn’t being serious in that post :p I was hoping the mocking, obnoxious hashtags would give it away.

O’Boyle seems like an interesting choice looking at his experience. Wasnt Murtough something like Head of Elite Performance for the Premier League before he joined here too? How does that job work considering the Premier League is not a club and does not play on a weekly basis?
I'm pretty sure no one else would have thought it a serious post!

MUW4Eva

I don’t agree, sorry to say. The mens game is where all the money is coming from so that will take priority
The people in charge should be able to look at appointing multiple people for multiple roles at the same time.

Money shouldn't come into it, in terms of "where all the money is coming from".

We should want both gender teams to be as successful as possible, and as such that means helping then to be so, as best as it is possible to do so.

The women's need for a Director of Football is greater than the men's, and as such that should take priority.

Flexdegea

The people in charge should be able to look at appointing multiple people for multiple roles at the same time.

We should want both gender teams to be as successful as possible, and as such that means helping then to be so, as best as it is possible to do so.

The women's need for a Director of Football is greater than the men's, and as such that should take priority.

I don't see why the woman's team has a greater need for a director of football than the men's team.

golden_blunder

Staff

I agree that they should be able to recruit 2 at the same time / multitask

but I disagree that the women’s need is greater than the men’s. The mens side Is about to appoint a new manager whom they want to build a system with. They will want that done as quickly as possible

Chairman Steve

I thought Murtough’s remit as football director involved covering the women’s team anyway?

MUW4Eva

I agree that they should be able to recruit 2 at the same time / multitask

but I disagree that the women’s need is greater than the men’s. The mens side Is about to appoint a new manager whom they want to build a system with. They will want that done as quickly as possible
The women's team has a huge need, this is quite possibly the biggest summer since the team was reformed, we need to get it right, if we are to push on and get a Champions League place next season.

We have at least 4 or more key players whose contracts are coming to an end this summer, so plenty for a Director of Football to be doing ASAP.

So, with respect, the women's team's needs right now, are of a far higher or of more importance then the men's.

Get this wrong, or delay it in favour of the men's, and it could cost us a chance to really cement ourselves as a force to be reckoned with next season.

This is how key this summer really is for the women's side.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
No, I was wondering the same. I can’t imagine what they actually do
They work with all football league academies to improve the development of players and coaches.

They have created programs to train more and better coaches and made an apprenticeship scheme. They also do a lot of research projects into preventing injuries at youth level and the concept of bio-banding. That’s why they must have at least a masters in sports science.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
If we can get everything sorted before the end of the season, I hold much better hopes for this window. It's like a blank canvas and the biggest scouting resource in the game, must be a DOF dream.

golden_blunder

Staff
The women's team has a huge need, this is quite possibly the biggest summer since the team was reformed, we need to get it right, if we are to push on and get a Champions League place next season.

We have at least 4 or more key players whose contracts are coming to an end this summer, so plenty for a Director of Football to be doing ASAP.

So, with respect, the women's team's needs right now, are of a far higher or of more importance then the men's.

Get this wrong, or delay it in favour of the men's, and it could cost us a chance to really cement ourselves as a force to be reckoned with next season.

This is how key this summer really is for the women's side.
And this is the biggest summer for the mens since SAF, with the biggest changes. With respect, the ladies team doesn’t bring in the same level of income as the mens setup. I fail to see how establishing the ladies as a top team is as important as reestablishing the mens team. That’s where the money to keep the club going comes from

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i’ve watched over 13 hours of live football during my lifetime and i’ve been to scotland on 3 separate occasions. i realise this may make me slightly overqualified but where do i apply?

MUW4Eva

And this is the biggest summer for the mens since SAF, with the biggest changes. With respect, the ladies team doesn’t bring in the same level of income as the mens setup. I fail to see how establishing the ladies as a top team is as important as reestablishing the mens team. That’s where the money to keep the club going comes from
If you fail to see just important this summer is for the women's side, then perhaps this discussion, with full respect to you, isn't for you.

This is a major chance to change the so called natural order of things in the women's game, get it wrong, or delay it too long, and the opportunity to push on into a Champions League place, and to really knock one of the "big 3" out of it, and to establish ourselves as part of a new "big 3", could be lost.
Especially with Liverpool having won the Championship, they will be a thorn in our side next season, as they were the last time we faced them.

This is a critical juncture, so, this is where the club's priorities should be right now, get this position sorted, then look to fill another position for the men's side, as they have more than enough staff already sorted.

golden_blunder

Staff
If you fail to see just important this summer is for the women's side, then perhaps this discussion, with full respect to you, isn't for you.

This is a major chance to change the so called natural order of things in the women's game, get it wrong, or delay it too long, and the opportunity to push on into a Champions League place, and to really knock one of the "big 3" out of it, and to establish ourselves as part of a new "big 3", could be lost.
Especially with Liverpool having won the Championship, they will be a thorn in our side next season, as they were the last time we faced them.

This is a critical juncture, so, this is where the club's priorities should be right now, get this position sorted, then look to fill another position for the men's side, as they have more than enough staff already sorted.
Maybe then you should try posting it in the correct forum

MUW4Eva

Maybe then you should try posting it in the correct forum
And which forum would that be then??

Please do help myself out here......

As I thought, perhaps somewhat mistakenly, that this was the "Manchester United Forum"???

And this is to do with Manchester United, so how is this not the correct forum???