g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The “Ole In” Brigade

Mainoldo

I think the point is to show that we are clearly on right path and Ole is delivering consistency in results.

But for relevance we are 5 points of the top with a game in hand which puts us right in the mix for the title, not favourites but were are in the picture and have a chance of making a title challenge we cant ask for anymore than that so far this season and that's despite the fact we had no pre season.
We are on the right path to nowhere. The football is still counter attack, there’s no finals after two years. We are on a path.. a path to being the best imitation of Arsenal the world Has ever seen. But a lot would say this is what the Glazers always wanted from us.

OleBoiii

You don’t think a measure of points won in the last year is relevant? Ironic, since a fair few people are still living in December 2019.
Even more ironic: the same people wanted to sack Ole ASAP based on around 1 month's worth of football at the start of the season. That was apparently plenty of data and there was no way this season could be better than the former!

Halftrack

We are on the right path to nowhere. The football is still counter attack, there’s no finals after two years. We are on a path.. a path to being the best imitation of Arsenal the world Has ever seen. But a lot would say this is what the Glazers always wanted from us.
Direct football with a focus on quick transitions != counter attacking. Sure, we counter attack when we get the opportunity, like any team would. The crucial bit is that we generally dominate possession and attack more than our opponents, which are things you generally won't find counter attacking teams doing.

Mainoldo

Direct football with a focus on quick transitions != counter attacking. Sure, we counter attack when we get the opportunity, like any team would. The crucial bit is that we generally dominate possession and attack more than our opponents, which are things you generally won't find counter attacking teams doing.
We don’t dominate possession. Where did you get that idea from? We didn’t even dominate possession against Leicester. But no surprise that’s our usual set up. How can a midfield two of McTominay and Fred dominate possession. Don’t be silly now.

We set up to pounce on appointments and we keep the ball with no real purpose. Apologies we keep the ball to score. Idiotic statement I know. But it explains how we play. There’s no design to our attack that involves possession.

Gasolin

We don’t dominate possession. Where did you get that idea from? We didn’t even dominate possession against Leicester. But no surprise that’s our usual set up. How can a midfield two of McTominay and Fred dominate possession. Don’t be silly now.

We set up to pounce on appointments and we keep the ball with no real purpose. Apologies we keep the ball to score. Idiotic statement I know. But it explains how we play. There’s no design to our attack that involves possession.
It actually does, we were the same under SAF: we wanted to hurt the opposition no matter what.

Here's a reminder of what we do with the ball, and without the ball.

https://medium.com/@josephpressiv/o...-from-molde-to-manchester-united-9ac643aeb608

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Beat City and we are into the final...?

Lentwood

I love the “the Glazers have turned us into Arsenal” posters

Arsenal finished in the top four 20 years in a row under Wenger

Our league positions post-SAF read

Moyes/Giggs - 7th
LvG - 4th
LvG - 5th
Jose - 6th
Jose - 2nd
Jose/Ole 6th
Ole - 3rd

At one point, we were flattering ourselves to say we had turned into Arsenal! We were competing down in 6th with the likes of Wolves and Everton!

Forgive us if some of us quite like the fact that we finished 3rd under Ole last season in his only full year and are now bang in the mix at Christmas in his 2nd.

It’s not “lowering standards” or “accepting mediocrity”. It’s being aware of the fact that our club was on the road to being in real trouble before Ole. I don’t think some posters quite realise how close we came to falling so far behind it would take 10yrs+ to challenge. (and theoretically we aren’t out of the woods yet)

Halftrack

We dominate possession as in we have the ball more than oir opponents, but we're not possession oriented. We don't keep the ball for the sake of keeping the ball. When we don't have it, we typically don't sit back and invite pressure, we try to win it back.

It's okay to want us to play differently and to be willing to just keep hold of the ball. Doing so could certainly have prevented Leicester's equaliser, and I'm fully on board with that. Other than that, I like the way we play and find it infinitely more entertaining than spending half the match aimlessly passing the ball sideways.

bsCallout

Why do we need to dominate possession to be a good team?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The way Maguire takes 60 years to bring a pass out, I wonder why we don't dominate possession.

Maticmaker

"Keep clean sheets and take your chances"... footballs a simple game!
We are not keeping that many clean sheets and are missing some simple chances, some way to go yet, but its only Christmas.

Zen86

Even more ironic: the same people wanted to sack Ole ASAP based on around 1 month's worth of football at the start of the season. That was apparently plenty of data and there was no way this season could be better than the former!
Some wanted him gone after 2 games this season :p. It’s funny seeing these people try to present themselves as logical, rational posters.

fck

Supports
Bayern
Ole seems to be a decent manager but in the long run you need somebody better. Rival fans are probably quite happy with him at the helm right now.
And comparing him to Klopp and even Ferguson is laughable at this point.

Mainoldo

We dominate possession as in we have the ball more than oir opponents, but we're not possession oriented. We don't keep the ball for the sake of keeping the ball. When we don't have it, we typically don't sit back and invite pressure, we try to win it back.

It's okay to want us to play differently and to be willing to just keep hold of the ball. Doing so could certainly have prevented Leicester's equaliser, and I'm fully on board with that. Other than that, I like the way we play and find it infinitely more entertaining than spending half the match aimlessly passing the ball sideways.
Thats fair I’m the opposite. But I’ve come to terms us as a fanbase don’t like that style of football. As shown under LVG. Even though that was a boring type of that style and I hated it too.

Mainoldo

I love the “the Glazers have turned us into Arsenal” posters

Arsenal finished in the top four 20 years in a row under Wenger

Our league positions post-SAF read

Moyes/Giggs - 7th
LvG - 4th
LvG - 5th
Jose - 6th
Jose - 2nd
Jose/Ole 6th
Ole - 3rd

At one point, we were flattering ourselves to say we had turned into Arsenal! We were competing down in 6th with the likes of Wolves and Everton!

Forgive us if some of us quite like the fact that we finished 3rd under Ole last season in his only full year and are now bang in the mix at Christmas in his 2nd.

It’s not “lowering standards” or “accepting mediocrity”. It’s being aware of the fact that our club was on the road to being in real trouble before Ole. I don’t think some posters quite realise how close we came to falling so far behind it would take 10yrs+ to challenge. (and theoretically we aren’t out of the woods yet)
What trouble? We had a bad season all driven by one individual which made it toxic. At the time I said Carrick could take over and our lucks would change.. that’s hardly a crisis :lol:. Jesus... on the Arsenal comment.. read what I said. I didn’t say we are or we have completely replicated them. To be black and white.. as long as we get Champions League every season the board will be happy. I call that the Arsenal affect. You can call it what you like.

Mainoldo

Why do we need to dominate possession to be a good team?
We don’t to be honest. But in general the best teams in the league keep the ball. Unless Jose Mourinho is your manager or you have a fluke Leicester season. Maybe we could fall into the latter.

spiriticon

People think we can easily hire a manager who can do a 'better job' than Ole.

A 'better job' at this moment in time is basically a guarantee of winning the league. Which manager can come in with that guarantee?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
We don’t to be honest. But in general the best teams in the league keep the ball. Unless Jose Mourinho is your manager or you have a fluke Leicester season. Maybe we could fall into the latter.
So if we win the league it’s because we fluked it like Leicester. What a time to be a United fan :lol:

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Can we end all this In/Out nonsense now. He's here and will be for the foreseeable future. Lets just support the team now.

GoldTrafford99

I remember when it was Liverpool who used to talk in calendar years!

Liverpool never talked in Calendar years. You have totally got the wrong end of the stick. It wasn't until they started talking in calendar years that they eventually went on to become a great team and club again. They were constantly talking about 'next year is our year'. They were constantly hiring and firing managers because they weren't winning things. They were craving instant success and kept chasing it. From Graeme Souness to Roy Evans to RoyEvans and Gerard Houllier to just Gerard Houllier to Roy Hodgson for eight months to Rafa Benitez back to Kenny Dalglish again then to Brendan Rogers until they finally decided to go long-term and invest in a manager. That manager finished eighth in his first season and didn't win a thing for four years and are now - five years in - the best team in Europe. Even with an 'injury crisis'.

It is United who count in calendar years - Liverpool have only, in the last five years - started thinking 4/5 years ahead.

We - Manchester United - have only ever had two periods of success our whole lives; albeit two massively long periods. Both were born from long-term strategies, investment in the academy and winning trophies over a long-haul, not just picking up the odd one or two here. Busby took five and half years to win anything... so, too, did Ferguson. But then they both went on to dominate. That's what we want. That's what United craves. We don't want the next best managers in Europe with fancy names coming in and trying to win one league title here and there. We want to be Manchester United Football CLUB. Not Manchester United the first team.

We count in calendar years that's why we are the most successful team in English football history. When we are winning, we are dominating.

Reactions: Niall

GoldTrafford99

*Shakes head* How many long term titles did we win before Fergie’s first one :lol:

Anyway like most things Ole. You have to live the passion. McT probably your favourite player too.

I don't think you realise how silly it is what you have just typed.

bsCallout

I think it is an area we are improving on and need to but in general we tend to have more of the ball the our opponents and are more aggressive with it. I think turning the ball over quickly is more important for the way we like to play.

Us having lots of the ball is less important for us than stopping the opponents having lots of the ball. We want to set the tempo and some games I guess we dont do it effectively but its improving more and more.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
IF we happen to win the league, and any fans say "But" after the last matchweek is played... I might legitimately lose faith in humanity.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Are you feeling homeless, now the 'sack/keep Ole' thread is no more? Sorry for your loss :(

Lentwood

What trouble? We had a bad season all driven by one individual which made it toxic.
Or....we had one “good” season (if you can call a season we finished 30pts behind the leaders “good”) in amongst five very worrying seasons where we scrapped around in mid-table?

I did a thread not long ago about the club’s finances. Due to the fact we are one of the biggest clubs in the world we were able to sustain several years of poor management (from Board level down) whilst still retaining the ability to compete for top players. However, that wasn’t going to last forever. Eventually lack of CL football and reduced sponsorship revenues that follow was going to catch-up with us.

What most posters won’t know is the club used a pot of capital we had stashed aside for a rainy day to fund last summer’s transfer business. What most posters also won’t appreciate is that Utd barely make a profit year-on-year nowadays so there is no pot of gold to bail us out if we keep making poor choices. We exist in the real world, like every team really bar City, PSG and arguably Chelsea.

I’d call dipping into the emergency fund “backing the manager”

However, let’s say Maguire and AWB had both turned out to be terrible signings and neither had improved the first team. It’s highly likely then that even IF we had added Bruno in January, we still wouldn’t have gotten top four. We were dreadful pre-Jan so who knows how low we would have sunk if Maguire and AWB had totally flopped?
Imagine we finish last season in 5th/6th again. Still needing 5/6 players to even look like a CL qualifier, with COVID, with no CL revenue and reduced sponsorship deals. See how it creates a negative feedback loop?

We should be over the moon Ole somehow guided us into 3rd last season. It’s not where the club wants to be. It’s not where the fans want to be. It’s not where Ole wants to be but it’s incredibly important for the long-term prospects of the club that we establish ourselves again as a CL regular. We should be in that competition every year without fail. Once we achieve that, we have a platform to build on and go after trophies.

That’s why I scoff at the Arsenal comparisons because the truth is, with three top four finishes in seven seasons, we don’t have the luxury yet of complaining about “being content with CL qualification

RUCK4444

Your missing your Sack Ole thread aren't you?

RUCK4444

People think we can easily hire a manager who can do a 'better job' than Ole.

A 'better job' at this moment in time is basically a guarantee of winning the league. Which manager can come in with that guarantee?
I know that, you know that, many fans know that, yet still, still, there are some that think a magician is waiting in the wings to win us the league the very season he arrives.

It's about as believable as a children's fairy tale.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
IF we happen to win the league, and any fans say "But" after the last matchweek is played... I might legitimately lose faith in humanity.
If we win tbe league some posters on here would try convince you we could have gone invincible if be we just had a different manager.

Icemav

Is there any chance of deleting or locking this thread?

It really is a waste of time.

Those calling for a revolution, stupid timing. Bottle up your frustrations and shut up until its relevant and if relevant try to be constructive.

Thise looking to support the coaches and players at this precise moment in time. Well done. They deserve it.

Robbie Boy

Do you in/out camps ever take a break, like ever? You guys are repeating yourselves ad nauseam and have been for months. You are not going to see eye-to-eye so why bother.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Do you in/out camps ever take a break, like ever? You guys are repeating yourselves ad nauseam and have been for months. You are not going to see eye-to-eye so why bother.
If discussions were limited to one reply per point, this thread would be 4 pages long and this forum dead. It's just one of those topics that are easy to discuss and happens to have polar opposites.

Icemav

If discussions were limited to one reply per point, this thread would be 4 pages long and this forum dead. It's just one of those topics that are easy to discuss and happens to have polar opposites.
Its just that its December. The weaknesses and improvements in the team are well known and talking about removing the manager at this point in the season and where we currently sit is utterly redundant. Its not even being brought up during a bad run of form and the team regressing.

I.e. those who want Ole out are really bloody weird talking about it at this particular time.

Robbie Boy

It literally goes nowhere... Debate is great and all but the repetition in this one is hilarious. Certain posters repeat their stance hourly :lol: Both camps are as mind numbingly tedious imo. There's some good, diligent posters on both 'sides'. But then there's the trolls, the sheep who parrot what others say and the obsessive who generally monopolise both sides.

I can't stop myself reading though as it's like a macabre thing. But I can honestly say I've probably read about two insightful, non-repetative posts from either side in the past 3 odd months.

Andrew Richmond

I think OGS has done a terrific job all things considered.

Maybe he is not quite the manager to return us to our former glory years but Im not sure there is a manager out there who could do better currently.

I just think our fan base needs to back him 100%. He deserves it and if in 18 months time he hasn’t delivered any trophies, if that is the benchmark, he will have have almost four years in charge and we’ll maybe then we may need to look for a change of manager.