The 2010 Baseball Thread

Leg-End

Thats commitment, could easly break your wrists doing that.

Excal

A friend had an extra ticket to a baseball game that was played today. It started at 1:05pm, Pacific time. I had this figured very closely. Leaving at about 10 o'clock would get me to the parking lot no later than 12:45.

After the football, I considered blowing the baseball off, but they were pretty nice seats, and I didn't want to waste my buddy's money. Of course, I spent the whole drive bitching to no one at all about some combination of Chelsea, Wigan, Blackburn, Bayern Munich and Liverpool. I think at one point I was actually cursing out Maradona. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

I get to the game on time, but my heart's not in it. I made some caf posts in the first few innings, at which point Todd explained that my phone was either going in my pocket or onto the field. Well alright, we'd just scored a 2nd run, and our pitcher had made quick work of the Rays' lineup, not allowing a baserunner in those first three innings. I noticed that in the top of the fourth, when Jason Bartlett led off the inning.

The Rays' three hitters would all make outs in that inning. The same thing happened in the next inning. And the next.

There is a superstition in baseball that you don't mention it when a pitcher is throwing a no-hitter (or that rarest of rarities, a perfect game.) You don't even say the words "no-hitter" or "perfect". Only I hadn't paid much attention the first three innings. So, I found a way around it. "Have they hit into any double plays?" I asked Todd. "Nope," Todd answered, immediately knowing what I was getting at. "Hm. Made any outs on the basepaths?" "Nope." "I see." "Yep."

Todd is a man of few words.

It was an amazing performance. Any no-hitter relies on timely, usually clever defensive plays. We had those but really there was maybe only one or two where an actual hit was taken away. The best play was 3rd baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff catching a pop foul before running into the A's dugout in the 8th inning.

It was an amazing game. It reminded me why baseball is still my first sporting love. And though the crowd wasn't large, it was loud by the time the final out was made on a routine groundball to short. And while the chant might not stack up against most football songs, I am still shouting "LET'S GO OAK-LAND!"

chewingkebabs

Nice story, Excal. Let me punctuate it and put it into perspective for the Yanks fans: "SUCK IT, A-ROD!"

Also, you didn't mention the pitcher's name: Dallas Braden.

mjs020294

Yankees getting raped at home by the Rays....four games back if they lose tonight.

Leg-End

Great pitcher, I reckon his ERA wont be too far above 2.00 come the season end.

Alex

Halladay is ridiculously good, it was clear he has been the best pitcher in baseball for a few years too, he has been pitching in the best division in baseball for years, and then he moves to the NL of course he is going to dominate.

F-Red

I've had the pleasure of seeing him live & the composure the guy has is nothing short of amazing. He's been threatening perfect games for a while now, just pleased he did it as it now cements him as one of, if not, the best around.

chewingkebabs

Big deal, it's been done before. :rolleyes:

Now here's something that has never been done before: Kendry Morales hit a walk-off grand slam, but then breaks his leg jumping up and down in the celebration. Makes me wonder how nobody in football has injured their knees doing the "slide on your knees" celebration or how Nani has never landed on his head flipping upside down.

(In a postscript, the Angels won their very next game in the same dramatic fashion, and nobody broke their leg. Small victories! :lol:)

Fishbone

How could Jim Joyce blow that fecking call?!?! It wasn't even close.

Alex

Strasburg debuts tonight, it will interesting to see how well he does.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Prior had a great debut. Gooden as well. Clemens and Wood not so great.

David Clyde didn't do too bad. Shame how his career fared though. From high school to the majors in a couple weeks. Astonishing but it was strictly a ploy by the club to draw fans and make revenue. Sort of like Freddy Adu and the MLS albeit on a much grander scale.

Strasburg debut: It's David Clyde done the right way | Tim Cowlishaw Blog | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | The Dallas Morning News

Baseball owes David Clyde a job

1973—when David Clyde went from teenage phenom to big league trouble: Texas high schooler's career was shortened when he went to the majors with no professional experience - Turn Back The Clock | Baseball Digest | Find Articles at BNET

MrMarcello

He looks quality. Only injuries will derail him IMO. Mark Prior should be on his third Cy Young by now. Same for Kerry Wood.

Anyone recall the Mets Trio in the mid-90s? Wilson, Pulsipher and Isringhausen were supposed to be the answer to Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz as well as Gooden, Darling and Ojeda.

Leg-End

His stuff is nasty and you gotta figure its only gonna get better with experience, ofcourse if he stays injury free. Its only the pirates after all but to have 14K's through 7 on your debut is a darn good start.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
His slider is one thing

but that two seamer running up and in on right handers is absolutely gorgeous. It's almost like a softball pitcher's "riser." Hope that arm slot doesnt come back to bite him.

Alex

14 K unreal, he could've hit 20 had they kept him in for 9

MrMarcello

It was the Pirates though, the lowest scoring team in MLB. Let's see how he fares against a lineup that can actually hit and work the count.

He'll be wearing Pinstripes in five years.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
It was the Pirates though, the lowest scoring team in MLB. Let's see how he fares against a lineup that can actually hit and work the count.

He'll be wearing Pinstripes in five years.
I don't know, the Nats have a wealthy ownership, a good solid young core of players, and potential all-stars

Alex

The Yankees are the Yankees though, which sucks extra more for you dear AS

MrMarcello

We can keep up :lol:

Naw, it's usually inevitable but everyone said the same about Morneau and Mauer in Minnesota
Neither were advised by that dickhead Boras either. And Mauer is a hometown kid. There's nothing to say those two will finish their careers in Minnesota. A few more fruitless seasons and it could be adios Minnesota. Especially if the Twins can get a boatload for them.

Rooney1987

So no Cliff Lee to the Yankees now the Rangers but they had to give up Smoak and another top Prospects. Im happy in a way I don't think the Rangers are that much of a threat would rather the Reds but still, get to keep Jesus and the Rangers won't re sign Lee so sign him them.

Leg-End

Lee will be the top free agent target, better to give up the picks than lose Montero. Also depends on Javi, doubt he will be traded now which is good as he is turning the corner (although said that a few times this season).

MrMarcello

Glad to see my hometown Rangers actually pick up a good pitcher but they'll choke anyhow come September/October. And I doubt they'll resign him so really doesn't make much sense to me. I guess management thinks they can win this year.

The Yanks will just sign Lee in December.