The 3-5-2 formation under Ole

Dante

Average bang
I was all in favour of 532 before watching VdB more closely. I'm now leaning towards a 4222 as my personal preference.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
352 needs 3 things. Excellent manager who is top tactically, players who understand how to play in 352 and attacking full backs. Do we have anything of that?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
4-4-2 is the only formation for me.

A strike partnership and two flying wingers again. Oh, yes.

Unfortunately, we’ll have to wait for a hipster club like Dortmund or Napoli to use it first before other clubs deem it acceptable to use again.

Also it wouldn’t get the best from Pogba
And we don't have any wingers, really, except James, who unfortunately doesn't seem to be good enough. We are quite committed to other systems now.

You are right though, 442 will make a big comeback I think.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If we don't sign Demebele on loan then I think we have to go 352 and counter attacking again. We aren't good enough to play 433. Our defence just gets over run.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
352 needs 3 things. Excellent manager who is top tactically, players who understand how to play in 352 and attacking full backs. Do we have anything of that?
Alex Telles is definitely an attacking fullback and then some. So we kind of do have 1 solution.

Maybe give Brandon a go at RWB.

Walters_19_MuFc

If we don't sign Demebele on loan then I think we have to go 352 and counter attacking again. We aren't good enough to play 433. Our defence just gets over run.
We haven't played a 433, though. Actually, I think a 433, with one of Fred or McTominay as the box to box 8 would solidify us a lot more.

Spurs have looked a lot better since doing so, and I feel we would too.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We haven't played a 433, though. Actually, I think a 433, with one of Fred or McTominay as the box to box 8 would solidify us a lot more.

Spurs have looked a lot better since doing so, and I feel we would too.
Rashford n Greenwood don't protect our fullbacks enough.

I'm not saying it can't work in any game but I think the formation has been found out now. Palace Brighton and Spurs exposed our weakness on the flanks massively.

Walters_19_MuFc

Rashford n Greenwood don't protect our fullbacks enough.

I'm not saying it can't work in any game but I think the formation has been found out now. Palace Brighton and Spurs exposed our weakness on the flanks massively.
And that's my point. Playing a flat midfield three, instead of two holding midfielders - both of which aren't the most mobile, will aid in helping us in the wide areas.

It's not Ole's preference but a midfield set up of:

Pogba Matic Bruno

is better than:

Bruno
Matic Pogba

Renegade

I’m not a fan of 352 but it’s the best option for the personal we have

Our CB’s need their hands held and protecting.Shaw can fulfil his dream and play centrally. Telles is very attacking, it allows the #10 role Ole loves so much and we can play two strikers.

#CR7

Definitely think this would be our best formation if we want to utilise our squad and get the best out of our players.

Would also give us a better structure to build from as we have been leaking goals like a sieve.

The only potential issue would be dropping £50m AWB and replacing him with Williams or James at RWB. It may even be a perfect system to blood Laird into the first team.

The change in system will bring the biggest benefit to our midfield as it allows both Pogba & Bruno to play as eights with only one DM behind them in Matic or Fred. This would move Pogba further up the pitch by 10-15 yards and give him more freedom in our attacks, getting the best out of him.

Upfront we would have plenty of options with Martial, Rashford, Greenwood & Cavani.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Definitely think this would be our best formation if we want to utilise our squad and get the best out of our players.

Would also give us a better structure to build from as we have been leaking goals like a sieve.

The only potential issue would be dropping £50m AWB and replacing him with Williams or James at RWB. It may even be a perfect system to blood Laird into the first team.

The change in system will bring the biggest benefit to our midfield as it allows both Pogba & Bruno to play as eights with only one DM behind them in Matic or Fred. This would move Pogba further up the pitch by 10-15 yards and give him more freedom in our attacks, getting the best out of him.

Upfront we would have plenty of options with Martial, Rashford, Greenwood & Cavani.
I'm not the biggest fan of 3 at the back but I agree it should be tried, including:

- experimenting with James at right wing back
- Telles on the left with Shaw LCB
- McTominay RCB in 'easier' games

It will help cover deficiencies in CM with Pogba but it's vital that we get output in attack from the flanks otherwise it won't work for us.