The 4-Way Draft R1: 2mufc0 vs Paz/gs

With players at peak, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

......................................... TEAM 2MUFC0 ...................................................................................... TEAM PAZ/GS .........................................

TEAM 2MUFC0

Formation: 4-2-3-1

I have tried to make the most balanced side possible capable of playing varying styles according to the match situation. The formation and personal has work rate, flair, able to keep possession, defend and also attack directly with pace.

Starting at back is Oliver Kahn at his peak level he is probably around the top of the pile when it comes to GK's, winning the golden ball in WC2002 over the likes of R9, Rivaldo etc. In front of him he has Gaetano Scirea one of the best ball playing CB's off all time and one of Italy's finest, next to him is Jurgen Kohler considered by some Germany's best defender of all time. At RB is Claudio Gentile the man who nullified two of the greatest no.10's on the world stage Zico & Maradonna, Gentile is more defensive minded this will allow more freedom for Antonio Cabrini to surge forward while Gentile can tuck in.

In midfield the main man is Lothar Matthaus arguably the greatest CM of all time and probably the most complete, he will link defence with attack. Next to him is world cup winner Gattuso known for his tenacity and high work rate providing screening for the defence allowing Matthaus to get forward.

On the wings is Pavel Nedved on the left known for his incredible work rate combined with dribbling, shooting and passing going forward. On the other side is Zbigniew Boniek pacey and tricky forward and is famous for the great link up play he had with Platini which is recreated in this side.

Upfront i have one of the best no. 9's in the history of the game Marco van Basten capable of scoring impossible goals and an allround CF. He will have world class service from Platini who needs no introduction.

Thoughts on the opposition

Paz/GS have picked fantastic players and the game will be decided by fine margins. But looking at their selection it appears they are going for a Tiki Taka midfield with Xavi/Iniesta, their star man is C. Ronaldo, and i don't believe this tactic suits Ronaldo's game. His strength is playing in a direct counter attacking setup and that midfield is not setup to do that. Secondly the two centre backs are Vidic/Puyol, both great stoppers but not great on the ball, and with Xavi/Alonso always looking for those short passes you need those ball playing centre backs. Overall i also believe my defence individually and as a unit is superior and the game will be won because of this.

Secondly i'm guessing Ronaldo plays on the right (if he plays on the left that means Henry on the right which doesn't suit him) i have Nedved's workrate to help out Cabrini at the back which will help nullify his main threat. The same will apply to Henry if he plays on the left too, but if i'm guessing right and he's on the other side he will be up against Gentile/Kohler and Gattuso helping out. My midfield also has more bite and workrate, and both my wingers will outwork Henry/Ronaldo, also due to the lack of pressing from his forwards the likes of Scirea and Matthaus will have time on the ball enabling them to control the game.

TEAM PAZ / GS

Team Paz / Green Smiley

Formation 4-3-3

Goalkeeper:
An organiser, a leader, a beast – quite simply one of the best goalkeepers of all time, Peter Schmeichel is a no nonsense leader that not only is an incredible shot stopper, formidable during 1-on-1s but also a phenomenal distributer of the ball. Quite simply, unarguably, one of the best of all time.

Centre Backs:
A solid defence with some absolute leaders. A key focus being on aggressively winning the ball, no compromise with a hard-as-nails pairing of Puyol and Vidic, solid enough to ruffle any Striker’s feathers. Attacking the ball at every instance, comfortable in distributing the ball quickly and efficiently from the back. A no nonsense dream pairing with captain material leaders.

Full Backs:
In a similar vein to the Centre backs, the full backs are quick aggressive and strong. A view on defending first, closing down the space, not giving time on the ball to attackers. Both Abidal and Lahm able to read the game precisely with their solid experience and wit. A nightmare for any winger to face, but also for players that like to roam out wide. Arguably up there with the 2 of the most intelligent full backs ever. Also shining leadership qualities.

Centre Midfield:
From the blueprint of the glorious Barcelona FC side of the late 2000s – this midfield has it all. Skill, flair, vision, intrigue. A solid Spanish contingent of Xabi Alonso at the base, someone able to read the game, influence himself upon the play around him and smart enough to break up play….feeding the dream duo of Xavi and Iniesta; what more needs to be said? These two running the engine of the team, aggressively closing down but artfully looking for gaps and opportunities to unleash sheer power and pace of the front line. With eyes at the back of their heads, a masterclass of the complete midfield duo.

Wingers / Inside Forwards:
Thierry Henry and Cristiano Ronaldo playing as inside forwards – able to roam and influence the game as they see fit. With the precise architects of the Spanish trio behind them, these two pounce on any free space and through-balls that come their way. Able to take on players and cut both ways, strong with either feet and totally unpredictable – but with legendary finishing skills, they truly are the complete wingers / forwards that make it feel like one has an extra player on the pitch. Pushing the team on with their raw determination and desire, these two are quite simply unstoppable.

Striker (dropping deep):
Eric Cantona – the artist, the maestro – the enigma. Eric Cantona not only finishes off world class moves, but can also drop back and set Henry and Ronaldo free with legendary vision that very few possess. Able to link up with the midfield trio to almost turn it into a diamond formation, but also push up and have the swagger to create, develop or finish off moves. He is a pivotal member of this aggressive, pacey and powerful side and gives it another dimension, just how Sir Alex Ferguson wanted with his Manchester United sides.

Last edited:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Good luck @Paz @green_smiley .

As they have lined up like i have predicted i haven't got much to add with regards to tactics. If anyone has any question about my team fire away.

In the mean time always good to see a MvB video:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Brilliant teams.

2mufc should swap Gattuso and Matthaus as Gattuso's defensive workrate would better complement Cabrini's attacking output and Gentile's solidity at back will free Matthaus more.

For Paz, it's refreshing to see Cantona in a F9 role. Esp with complimentary forwards in Henry/CR, I can see this working well.

Can't decide at the moment.

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Yup, Cantona looks a perfect fit to the team. He has the charisma, skills and ability to create and score. A very flexible yet dangerous attack with him, CR7 and Henry upfront

That, and the golden pair of Xavi and Iniesta, you can always count on them to control the midfield possession and finding their way to split the opposition's defense apart

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Paz @green_smiley

I like the front three and it's a good use of Cantona. Like 2Mufc0 said I'm not sold on Iniesta and Xavi with that front three. They can definitely play more direct but do you get the peak version of each? I'd prefer Vidic with more of a ball playing CB.

@2mufc0 I really like your front four and they can cause serious problems. I'm not fan of Gattuso at DM as he was a bit of a headless chicken at times, better suited to a box-to-box role. Now this sounds anal but Scriea really ought to be at RCB so he's at the centre of the back three in possession.

Due to 2mufc0's front 4 I'm leaning in his direction.

Enigma_87

You know who
@Paz @green_smiley

I like the front three and it's a good use of Cantona. Like 2Mufc0 said I'm not sold on Iniesta and Xavi with that front three. They can definitely play more direct but do you get the peak version of each? I'd prefer Vidic with more of a ball playing CB.

@2mufc0 I really like your front four and they can cause serious problems. I'm not fan of Gattuso at DM as he was a bit of a headless chicken at times, better suited to a box-to-box role. Now this sounds anal but Scriea really ought to be at RCB so he's at the centre of the back three in possession.

Due to 2mufc0's front 4 I'm leaning in his direction.
It's also a better fit for him moving vertically whilst Gentile tucks in.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Brilliant teams.

2mufc should swap Gattuso and Matthaus as Gattuso's defensive workrate would better complement Cabrini's attacking output and Gentile's solidity at back will free Matthaus more.
It's also a better fit for him moving vertically whilst Gentile tucks in.
Yep. Also another reason to put Gattuso at LCM so Scriea has more space to move into
Thanks for the feedback and i can agree with adjustments suggested.

@Edgar Allan Pillow am i allowed update the graphic with these adjustments?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Two sensational teams. Gorgeous midfield Paz/GS have. Hard to envisage a better duo to combat that than Matthaus and Gattuso, but with Lahm offering yet more top quality ball retention, I see them dominating the ball.

Picking holes:
  • Not convinced on Scirea and Cabrini on the same side of the defence together, especially up against the raw power of Cristiano. Surely Scirea on the right and Kohler on the left allows Gentile to tuck in, Gattuso to drop if need be, and Kohler's presence to better match the off-the-ball runs of Cristiano? As it stands I think Cristiano is going to murder that side of the defence. That said, the quid pro quo is that Cabrini should be influential as he won't be tracked.
  • Platini's runs into the box aren't something I can see Alonso handling very well. He's struggled keeping tabs on many of the great 10s of this era, ramp up the quality a couple of notches to Platini and I don't see that panning out very well.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
@2mufc0 you've got your spine wrong.

Cabrini attacks, Gentile doesn't. It makes more sense for both Kohler and Gattuso to be on Cabrini's side. At least one.

Nedved will cut in as Cabrini overlaps, no space for Matthäus to attack. In the meantime, Gentile is staying back, Boniek roams and Gattuso... nothing much happening on that side. 100% have to swap the midfielders or the wingers.

Since Cabrini goes forth, it is always best for Scirea to be in the middle of the three and not next to Cabrini.

Car crash deployment.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Absolutely hate 2mufc0's guts for picking Scirea in Round 14.
:lol: was paying homage to the great man! Was a weird draft some other legends at R14 were Best, Edwards, Kubala!

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
am i the only one that finds strange to pick Cristiano in a first round and then play him on the right as an IF?
btw whats the tactic paz/smiley? Tiki taka?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Not sure Henry, Cantona and Ronaldo can play as a front 3. Too much ego and ball hogging would get in the way.

Enigma_87

You know who
am i the only one that finds strange to pick Cristiano in a first round and then play him on the right as an IF?
btw whats the tactic paz/smiley? Tiki taka?
Henry is a natural fit at LW, whilst Cristiano is more fitted to be on the right.

Wouldn't be an issue IMO. If I have to be picky I'd have a more attacking/overlapping LB on Henry's side.

Šjor Bepo

Henry is a natural fit at LW, whilst Cristiano is more fitted to be on the right.

Wouldn't be an issue IMO. If I have to be picky I'd have a more attacking/overlapping LB on Henry's side.
yeah but you dont push a GOAT to the position he probably never played, in that case id rather pick someone else rather then Henry.

Enigma_87

You know who
Not sure Henry, Cantona and Ronaldo can play as a front 3. Too much ego and ball hogging would get in the way.
Nah, they'll be fine IMO. Henry formed a great partnership with Bergkamp and whilst of course not the same players they do share some similarities with Cantona. Quick one two's and interplay, whilst dropping back to allow space for Ronaldo/Henry to run into the box is plausible gameplan and route to a goal.

yeah but you dont push a GOAT to the position he probably never played, in that case id rather pick someone else rather then Henry.
Last season at United maybe? It depends on the gameplan if it is tiki taka ala Barca or the more direct Spanish style (Xavi of 2008 as main conductor of the side?). Seems that Paz/GS went for a fluid interchanging forward line, so most likely they'll be swapping places and sometimes Henry could end up top with Cantona dropping deep.

Generally I'd buy that approach, however depends on how the midfield is set up.

idmanager

I don't quite love Cantona in that setup. Maybe I might be the only one who feels so, but looks kind of unnatural.
The reason I mentioned this in the draft thread is, you don't really need a Cantona-esque player to drop deep in this setup with THAT midfield.

That front three is amazing and nothing needs to be said about that midfield, but I don't think both are the perfect match for each other.

An Inside forward like Robben from the right in place of Cantona with CR moving to the left and Henry up top makes it much better IMO.

Ronaldo is really under used here I think from the right. It's ok if Messi is the false 9, but Cantona, I am not very sure.

In the big games with a front 3, CR had almost always been a left forward.

Šjor Bepo

Last season at United maybe? It depends on the gameplan if it is tiki taka ala Barca or the more direct Spanish style (Xavi of 2008 as main conductor of the side?). Seems that Paz/GS went for a fluid interchanging forward line, so most likely they'll be swapping places and sometimes Henry could end up top with Cantona dropping deep.

Generally I'd buy that approach, however depends on how the midfield is set up.
yeah, it all depends on the system they play and thats why i asked the question, reckon its best to wait the answer :)

Zlatattack

First time participant in one of these threads. Don't think i know enough about football to play myself. Still enjoyed reading about it. I voted for the team with Ronaldo in it. I think it has to much going forwards to lose. Not I do think though they'd have been better off with Lahm at CDM and another RB. The other team have great attacking players too and i'm sure Alonso would be able to provide the required cover.

Šjor Bepo

First time participant in one of these threads. Don't think i know enough about football to play myself. Still enjoyed reading about it. I voted for the team with Ronaldo in it. I think it has to much going forwards to lose. Not I do think though they'd have been better off with Lahm at CDM and another RB. The other team have great attacking players too and i'm sure Alonso would be able to provide the required cover.
its all fun and games mate, you should play the next one :)

Enigma_87

You know who
The reason I mentioned this in the draft thread is, you don't really need a Cantona-esque player to drop deep in this setup with THAT midfield.

That front three is amazing and nothing needs to be said about that midfield, but I don't think both are the perfect match for each other.

An Inside forward like Robben from the right in place of Cantona with CR moving to the left and Henry up top makes it much better IMO.

Ronaldo is really under used here I think from the right. It's ok if Messi is the false 9, but Cantona, I am not very sure.

In the big games with a front 3, CR had almost always been a left forward.
TBH having Marcelo overlapping is a non brainer to put Ronaldo on the left wing. Marcelo is arguably the best modern day full back when it comes to his attacking output - it's almost winger like, which allows Ronaldo to move centrally. Probably the biggest attacking weapon Real had during all the recent successful years.

Of course Ronaldo being a goalscoring forward will be suited more coming from the left, but he's so natural with the both feet I'd wouldn't count it against him doing similar job from the right, especially in free role like here.

idmanager

TBH having Marcelo overlapping is a non brainer to put Ronaldo on the left wing. Marcelo is arguably the best modern day full back when it comes to his attacking output - it's almost winger like, which allows Ronaldo to move centrally. Probably the biggest attacking weapon Real had during all the recent successful years.

Of course Ronaldo being a goalscoring forward will be suited more coming from the left, but he's so natural with the both feet I'd wouldn't count it against him doing similar job from the right, especially in free role like here.
Think Ronaldo has moved centrally only recently. All these years, he had been a cutting in from the left. Marcelo+Ronaldo was a great combination not just because it let Ronaldo move centrally.

Ronaldo is certainly a two footed player, but I wouldn't call him a natural with both feet. Shooting wise natural, yes. Cutting inside wise, not really. From a goal scoring point of view in the right inside forward role, I don't think he could do anywhere near the damage he could do from the left wing.

Maybe if he was played as a RF with Henry LF with Cantona behind them, yes. But from the position in the formation as an inside forward, I don't think so.

Enigma_87

You know who
Think Ronaldo has moved centrally only recently. All these years, he had been a cutting in from the left. Marcelo+Ronaldo was a great combination not just because it let Ronaldo move centrally.

Ronaldo is certainly a two footed player, but I wouldn't call him a natural with both feet. Shooting wise natural, yes. Cutting inside wise, not really. From a goal scoring point of view in the right inside forward role, I don't think he could do anywhere near the damage he could do from the left wing.

Maybe if he was played as a RF with Henry LF with Cantona behind them, yes. But from the position in the formation as an inside forward, I don't think so.
In 14/15 when he scored 61 goals(his biggest tally yet) he was more of a roaming CF than a traditional winger/LWF.

He was always attacking the box and put away many headers, whilst also engaging the defenders and playing more of a complete forward role rather than Neymar or Robben type of winger/forward. He came a lot from the right side attacking the box and with Bale they were often swapping wings.

In a sense as I've said I agree with you that the left side is best, but he could do similar damage coming from the right IMO.

A lot depends on the midfield configuration so I'll wait for the managers and their input, as if it is Pep's tiki taka 4-3-3 and Ronaldo as RWF it is not that optimal compared to Del Bosque possession style of 2008-2012

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Honestly that Barca midfiedl was so much more than just Xaviesta. Sure they were the kindpins there but Alves, Messi, the CBs all played a important role in it's working. I don't think it'd work well with a flat front 3 without anyone to drop deep. Cantona dropping back is integral to it imo if he wants to dominate possession. In a standard 4-3-3, maybe not.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
In 14/15 when he scored 61 goals(his biggest tally yet) he was more of a roaming CF than a traditional winger/LWF.

He was always attacking the box and put away many headers, whilst also engaging the defenders and playing more of a complete forward role rather than Neymar or Robben type of winger/forward. He came a lot from the right side attacking the box and with Bale they were often swapping wings.

In a sense as I've said I agree with you that the left side is best, but he could do similar damage coming from the right IMO.

A lot depends on the midfield configuration so I'll wait for the managers and their input, as if it is Pep's tiki taka 4-3-3 and Ronaldo as RWF it is not that optimal compared to Del Bosque possession style of 2008-2012
Although I agree he can play RW (that's why I didn't make a big deal about it in the op) , if we are nitpicking it's not his optimal position, and if you're building a team around him he should be on the left.

Enigma_87

You know who
Although I agree he can play RW (that's why I didn't make a big deal about it in the op) , if we are nitpicking it's not his optimal position, and if you're building a team around him he should be on the left.
Yeah,I agree that his optimal position is on the left. Not sure if the team is build around him, or rather Xaviesta.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
@2mufc0 you've got your spine wrong.

Cabrini attacks, Gentile doesn't. It makes more sense for both Kohler and Gattuso to be on Cabrini's side. At least one.

Nedved will cut in as Cabrini overlaps, no space for Matthäus to attack. In the meantime, Gentile is staying back, Boniek roams and Gattuso... nothing much happening on that side. 100% have to swap the midfielders or the wingers.

Since Cabrini goes forth, it is always best for Scirea to be in the middle of the three and not next to Cabrini.

Car crash deployment.
Adjustments made.

Welcome, feel free to join in next time.

Member 5225

I'm new too! :)
Hence my partner in crime!

Member 5225

Re Ronaldo
I understand questioning but the fluidity of the front 3 and unpredictability makes it so devastating. Esp as Eric as a F9, and such strong full backs, Ronnie gets licence to roam the final 3rd as he chooses (into the box).

Re Tiki Taka
Yes the engine of the team is that; intricate, high pressure, visual marvel - with a devastating front line to capitalise. Come back to the age old 'would CR7 have thrived in that Barca side' and I say YES!

Member 5225

So it could end up with CR7 and Henry as a front 2 and Eric behind them (diamond) when we're really on the front foot.

Šjor Bepo

@Paz which version of Ronaldo? Usually we have a 3 year peak, id say Ronaldo now has 3 different playing styles/eras so its important :)

Šjor Bepo

There's only 1 version of Ronaldo in Right wing?
Yeah but you can play players "out" of position....and Ronaldo probably never played as an IF from the right, even in the last season with us he was much more then an inside forward from the Tiki Taka system.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Yeah but you can play players "out" of position....and Ronaldo probably never played as an IF from the right, even in the last season with us he was much more then an inside forward from the Tiki Taka system.
It'd be wrong to claim peak when being played out of position. Though titled IF from the write up, I see them as free roaming front 3 kinda like United 2008. For this match, I personally have rated him as the United version.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Much better @2mufc0

What three CR7s do you think there are? @Šjor Bepo. United roaming winger. Inside forward at early Real. Striker of sorts at Real. That's what I'm thinking

I was tending towards 2mufc0 but now am going for him since the Xaviesta midfield in tiki taki mode does not complement either Henry or Ronaldo. I see Cantona suiting it much more but he's still rather direct