The 4-Way Draft R1: 2mufc0 vs Paz/gs

With players at peak, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Member 5225

Solid defence
Incredible GOAT-esque midfield
And a front line with crazy fire power and pace incl a potential GOAT

How is this even a choice?!

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Tiki taka is also a very specific system, the Ronaldo issue has already been brought up but another issue I see is both CB's weren't particularly great on the ball and I'm not sure Alonso can play the role as well as Busquets did.

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Tiki taka is also a very specific system, the Ronaldo issue has already been brought up but another issue I see is both CB's weren't particularly great on the ball and I'm not sure Alonso can play the role as well as Busquets did.
Of course Alonso can play the role well. Excellent reading of the game, positioning, distribution and cover to defense, Alonso is perfect fit to the system if not better

Puyol was one of Pep's main pillar of defense, graduated from La Masia and played in Barcelona throughout his football career, so he is well adjusted to it

Member 5225

Of course Alonso can play the role well. Excellent reading of the game, positioning, distribution and cover to defense, Alonso is perfect fit to the system if not better

Puyol was one of Pep's main pillar of defense, graduated from La Masia and played in Barcelona throughout his football career, so he is well adjusted to it
agreed, Busquets was available for us to pick, but we intentionally chose Xabi Alonso - he is simply better. I am sure he would've been bought for Barca if he was attainable at the time.

Oaencha

And I thought the Skizzo/Raees match was hard to call. Feck me... look at those teams. Will think and post opinions in a bit.

Edit - @Paz - one thing that really stands out to me is the lack of ball winner/destroyer in midfield. Xavi, Iniesta and Alonso are a sublime unit but I see Alonso as more of a deep playmaker than out and out ball winner. Busquets may have worked better. What are your thoughts?

2nd edit - this seems to be a common theme! To put it simply I think you need a tough tackler at the base of the midfield.

Last edited:

Member 5225

And I thought the Skizzo/Raees match was hard to call. Feck me... look at those teams. Will think and post opinions in a bit.

Edit - @Paz - one thing that really stands out to me is the lack of ball winner/destroyer in midfield. Xavi, Iniesta and Alonso are a sublime unit but I see Alonso as more of a deep playmaker than out and out ball winner. Busquets may have worked better. What are your thoughts?

2nd edit - this seems to be a common theme! To put it simply I think you need a tough tackler at the base of the midfield.
We toyed with the idea, thought about a Roy Keane type figure, but ultimately look at Busquets, Carrick and the current Real Madrid team for example, having pure technical world class midfielders that press and can all play a killer ball is better than having a 1 or 2 dimensional dominator, IMO.

Member 5225

Can that back 4 really keep up with a roaring CRonaldo, Henry and the guile of Eric Cantona? Surely not!

Member 5225

We toyed with the idea, thought about a Roy Keane type figure, but ultimately look at Busquets, Carrick and the current Real Madrid team for example, having pure technical world class midfielders that press and can all play a killer ball is better than having a 1 or 2 dimensional dominator, IMO.
and btw that's why we went with Lahm and Abidal at full back too. Evra was an option, but perhaps with one eye on attack, we might've had a slip in defence. Not with Abidal and Lahm. Solid and not afraid to get stuck in and help out in any part of defence. Turned out to be a no-brainer.

Oaencha

Paz's attack is a little bit naughty but 2mufc0's defence is pretty damn awesome. I blame EAP for no block list!

Oaencha

I love myself a good techincal midfielder but you can't dismiss a Makélélé to do the dirty work. Especially when you're up against Van Basten, Platini, Boniek and Nedved.

MJJ

I think gs/paz have got the tactics pretty much nailed on, that side playing like spain 08 did would be deadly with cantona dropping deep and xabi's passing releasing both ronaldo and henry whereas 2mufc0 made an initial tactical blunder which ultimately decided this close game for me.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Madrid have Casemiro.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

It's a tricky one. Do you compromise the collective ability and synergy of the midfield unit to accommodate a destroyer at the base? Ideally you find someone who can play and defend. But generally I'd rather see someone who fits with what Xavi and Iniesta want to do rather than a DM whose relative lack of fluency in first-time football would interrupt the possession game. They are the crown jewels of that midfield and it's more important to get the best fitting support act. Both Busquets and Alonso do as well as just about anyone in that respect and I don't see Busquets being defensively much better than Alonso. Or in the context of this game, I don't see either having the mobility and defensive instinct to really keep tabs on Platini.

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
Can't believe Paz/gs team is loosing this and also by such a big margin. 4-3-3 with the players they have chosen to fit in there makes their team looks ridiculous and unbeatable.

Oaencha

I've had a good think about this and I'm juuust going for 2mufc0. Both teams have a ridiculous amount of quality but I can't find any flaws with 2mufc0's team. The spine of Kahn, Kohler, Matthäus, Platini and Van Basten is beastly and there's so much talent on the flanks.

I genuinely like the players in Paz's team but the lack of ball winner/destroyer is a sticking point for me. Xavi, Iniesta and Alonso tippy-tapping to eachother isn't going to stop 2mufc0's attack. As much as I love Cantona I think Ibra would be more of a threat in this formation. Also would have picked Evra over Abidal but that one is just a personal preference.

Great job to both of you. The scoreline is harsh but I'm not suprised.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Yeah but you can play players "out" of position....and Ronaldo probably never played as an IF from the right, even in the last season with us he was much more then an inside forward from the Tiki Taka system.
Harsh comment.

Prime CR7 would be excellent on the right even if we know he played more games in his career on the left (a better track record there).

I was tending towards 2mufc0 but now am going for him since the Xaviesta midfield in tiki taki mode does not complement either Henry or Ronaldo. I see Cantona suiting it much more but he's still rather direct
Despite the fact that Henry was on the decline when he joined Xaviesta, he was relatively successful there. Tiki Taka was sometimes boring but also sometimes very straight-forward. Henry & Cr7 would be great.

My question mark is more about the impact of Cantona.

Their strategy is based on the assumption they would retain the ball and have a high possession rate. In this scenario, they don't need a pure destroyer but a DM with top passing skills.

idmanager

Just to add a bit to the Alonso-Busquets discussion, recreating Spain's WC formation might have worked better maybe with huge upgrades in CR and Henry while the rest of the spine remains same.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Just to add a bit to the Alonso-Busquets discussion, recreating Spain's WC formation might have worked better maybe with huge upgrades in CR and Henry while the rest of the spine remains same.
Exactly my thoughts when people discussed Alonso.

Voted Paz. With the current teamsheets I think 2mufc0 wins but that's not what he fielded and in real life managers don't change the spine at the drop of a hat.

MJJ

Yeah, thats how I imagined the side playing. More spain than barca.

Yeah, i

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Harsh comment.

Prime CR7 would be excellent on the right even if we know he played more games in his career on the left (a better track record there).
How is it harsh if he played more then 90% if not 100% of his IF career on the left. Would he be ace on the right? We dont know, he probably would but from the left we are certain about his quality, thats all i said.

edit: Mind you, i have nothing against playing players out of position if they fit with their talents but i just found it odd it happen to a GOAT player, usually you do that with lesser(not GOATs) players.

Last edited:

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Exactly my thoughts when people discussed Alonso.

Voted Paz. With the current teamsheets I think 2mufc0 wins but that's not what he fielded and in real life managers don't change the spine at the drop of a hat.
Bizarre comment, in real life tactical changes and positions are often changed during the game numerous times .

If your gripe is with allowing changes during a draft game that's something you have to take up with the draft organiser, but as it's within the rules i don't see why it should be held against the drafter.

Oaencha

Thanks all that have voted for us.
Was fun (my first time)! :)
You genuinely put together a very good team but these drafts can be brutal. The margins are often so close it can come down to tiny details. Would be happy to see you in the next draft.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
and agree with @idmanager , recreating spain would be much better and every player would be in his element. If nothing you would have my vote then :)

Member 5225

You genuinely put together a very good team but these drafts can be brutal. The margins are often so close it can come down to tiny details. Would be happy to see you in the next draft.
Thank you and happy to delete this post if not allowed: but out of curiosity seems my team would've had a better chance with a RVN, Ibra, Etoo type striker (and perhaps an enforcer in midfield)?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Bizarre comment, in real life tactical changes and positions are often changed during the game numerous times .

If your gripe is with allowing changes during a draft game that's something you have to take up with the draft organiser, but as it's within the rules i don't see why it should be held against the drafter.
In real life managers don't have an army of consultants telling them what's wrong from the very first minute. Furthermore, your team's week long prep went to the dustbin.

No gripe with you. It's something that has happened several times before (one reason subs were banned) and my take is it should -and will- benefit you in the next game. As far as this one is concerned, your team were badly setup and ill-prepared.

idmanager

Thank you and happy to delete this post if not allowed: but out of curiosity seems my team would've had a better chance with a RVN, Ibra, Etoo type striker (and perhaps an enforcer in midfield)?
The reason I picked Eto'o a tad early as the 7th pick was because I thought you would definitely have considered him.
I would rate both Ibra and Etoo as better fits here instead of Cantona. Robben would have been kickass though.

Member 5225

Harsh comment.

Despite the fact that Henry was on the decline when he joined Xaviesta, he was relatively successful there. Tiki Taka was sometimes boring but also sometimes very straight-forward. Henry & Cr7 would be great.

My question mark is more about the impact of Cantona.

Their strategy is based on the assumption they would retain the ball and have a high possession rate. In this scenario, they don't need a pure destroyer but a DM with top passing skills.
Spot on mate - that was indeed the thinking

Member 5225

The reason I picked Eto'o a tad early as the 7th pick was because I thought you would definitely have considered him.
I would rate both Ibra and Etoo as better fits here instead of Cantona. Robben would have been kickass though.
Interesting.
Well we did pick up Ibra in the squad.
Robbed was considered very very strongly tbh.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Great to see Cantona running the show in a draft.

Need to rewatch him because I have always considered him as a second striker in a 4-4-2 system.

Member 5225

I have to admit though I am rather surprised at the perception of Gattuso and Mathaus (IMO slightly less technical than my midfield but hardmen) would run rings around my midfield.

Technical intelligence > hardmen anyday for me

Member 5225

In real life managers don't have an army of consultants telling them what's wrong from the very first minute. Furthermore, your team's week long prep went to the dustbin.

No gripe with you. It's something that has happened several times before (one reason subs were banned) and my take is it should -and will- benefit you in the next game. As far as this one is concerned, your team were badly setup and ill-prepared.
Agreed! And on the other hand a well drilled team that have been training for it in he run-up! :p

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Xaviniestalonso don't like aggressive opponents.

Very challenging for them to stop players like Platini & Matthaus.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima

I've seen tactical changes happen within the first 5 minutes of real life games and managers do have assistants and can see the way the game is going on the pitch and make changes accordingly.

But as this is an online fantasy game there's no pitch or gameplay one can only go by comments. So don't agree with you. The whole point of the feedback and commentary during games is so you can improve the the team.