The 4-Way Draft R1: 2mufc0 vs Paz/gs

With players at peak, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Member 5225

Xaviniestalonso don't like aggressive opponents.

Very challenging for them to stop players like Platini & Matthaus.
Literally no other team on the planet regardless of style / approach could come anywhere near them in their prime.
That Barca team was literally unstoppable with them at the heart of midfield, so I tend to disagree.

idmanager

I've seen tactical changes happen within the first 5 minutes of real life games and managers do have assistants and can see the way the game is going on the pitch and make changes accordingly.

But as this is an online fantasy game there's no pitch or gameplay one can only go by comments. So don't agree with you. The whole point of the feedback and commentary during games is so you can improve the the team.
I think what he means to say is it wasn't really a tactical switch but rather a major feck up in setting up the team. And considering it wasn't even dependent on your oppositions tactics, but yours (Cabrini), it shouldn't actually be called a tactical switch. Not saying its not within the rules, but yes, a big let off considering it was pointed very early and when you were around. It was all changed by the time I saw the thread and voted for you and am sure it was the case with many others who voted.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I have to admit though I am rather surprised at the perception of Gattuso and Mathaus (IMO slightly less technical than my midfield but hardmen) would run rings around my midfield.

Technical intelligence > hardmen anyday for me
Matthaus was more than just a hardman he was a genuine all round central midfielder.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I've seen tactical changes happen within the first 5 minutes of real life games and managers do have assistants and can see the way the game is going on the pitch and make changes accordingly.
This isn't a fullback attacking less or a planned variation, it's your entire spine inverting. It affects all your outfield players.

But as this is an online fantasy game there's no pitch or gameplay one can only go by comments. So don't agree with you. The whole point of the feedback and commentary during games is so you can improve the the team.
For the next game.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I think what he means to say is it wasn't really a tactical switch but rather a major feck up in setting up the team. And considering it wasn't even dependent on your oppositions tactics, but yours (Cabrini), it shouldn't actually be called a tactical switch. Not saying its not within the rules, but yes, a big let off considering it was pointed very early and when you were around. It was all changed by the time I saw the thread and voted for you and am sure it was the case with many others who voted.
Not sure what you mean, if moving some players around isn't a tactical switch what is?

Even if i did the switch later people have the option of changing votes, personally don't see what the commotion is about.

Enigma_87

You know who
Think Cantona is really underrated in these. Maybe I'm a bit biased in this as he's one of my favorite players and the catalyst of the Fergie side that went on and become what United is today. He was an imposing figure but also a team player, he glued and led a team full of youngster to become a dominating side and only his always contradictory persona and character didn't let him achieve the heights he deserved both internationally and in the CL.

But as a natural born leader and huge character in the game I think he'll fit straight in this Barca based midfield/team. False 9 of sorts or dropping deep leaving space for Henry/Ronaldo he's brilliant fit, but also his hardman character also provides something extra into that team and another dimension to their game. I don't think there would be any clash of personalities either as Henry is not the type of player who will have problems with him, neither Ronaldo, who I see being only respective to his character. He was like that - enchanting leader who always won the respect to others and it's not like United didn't have strong characters at the time.

Kudos for @Paz and @green_smiley for going with that set up, I really liked it and got my vote and I buy the initial plan with Xaviesta/Alonso in anchor to run the game.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
For the next game.
Like i said there's no rule in place saying you can't make a change during the game, so this comment isn't correct.

Anyway this discussion has run its course, you've made your point and voted accordingly and i've made my point.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
How is it harsh if he played more then 90% if not 100% of his IF career on the left. Would he be ace on the right? We dont know, he probably would but from the left we are certain about his quality, thats all i said.

edit: Mind you, i have nothing against playing players out of position if they fit with their talents but i just found it odd it happen to a GOAT player, usually you do that with lesser(not GOATs) players.
Luis Suarez Miramontes - GOAT - #6 in a Dream Team configuration >> I dislike
Cr7 - GOAT who played on the right with United before he reached his full potential >> I say "why not?".

Maybe, I should tag Cal? :keano:

Last edited:

antohan

Not sure what you mean, if moving some players around isn't a tactical switch what is?

Even if i did the switch later people have the option of changing votes, personally don't see what the commotion is about.
Different degrees of unsettling players.

There's no commotion either. I came in and explained my vote. Could have done it yesterday but didn't for that very reason, not detracting from the game/player discussions.

Like i said there's no rule in place saying you can't make a change during the game, so this comment isn't correct.
There isn't a rule and there shouldn't be. I'm just explaining voters will have different degrees of leeway with what they consider reasonable and what is a disruptive overhaul.

Enigma_87

You know who
How is it harsh if he played more then 90% if not 100% of his IF career on the left. Would he be ace on the right? We dont know, he probably would but from the left we are certain about his quality, thats all i said.

edit: Mind you, i have nothing against playing players out of position if they fit with their talents but i just found it odd it happen to a GOAT player, usually you do that with lesser(not GOATs) players.
I don't think he has played 90% his IF role on the left tbh. All things considered half of the time he was as a CF or roaming forward for Real in his career there. He came from behind and attacked the box as much from the left as from the center or right. Sure as WF role he's more fluent on the left, but half of the time he was also Real's target man.

As a wide player I actually prefer him in his United form, rather than the LWF where he was more of a goalscorer and not the exciting winger/cutting inside winger. His overall best to me was 11/12 where he shared most of all traits - accomplished and great goalscorer but also tricky, wide, creative player.

As a team build around him he absolutely has to play as a LWF as that's his favorite role, but to me this team is build around Spain/Barca and Xaviesta running the show, which IMO is also equally devastating combination and a sound game plan.

Oaencha

Thank you and happy to delete this post if not allowed: but out of curiosity seems my team would've had a better chance with a RVN, Ibra, Etoo type striker (and perhaps an enforcer in midfield)?
If I was in your shoes during the picking I would have picked Evra, Keane and RVN. The rest of your team is pretty much spot on.

It doesn't help you're up against this 2mufc0 squad. It's a monster and easily has a chance of winning the draft.

Member 5225

The question here is can CR7 finish off moves in same vein as Messi did for Barca. I say yes.
Also he can easily switch with Henry and Eric can be totally unpredictable.

idmanager

The question here is can CR7 finish off moves in same vein as Messi did for Barca. I say yes.
Also he can easily switch with Henry and Eric can be totally unpredictable.
I did not really give a lot of points to the point about them being interchangeable and unpredictable. If its was a United-like setup with a front three of Rooney-Tevez-Ronaldo absolutely murdering you with any chance of a counter, it makes sense.
In this setup, would they really need to interchange at pace? I don't think so.

MJJ

06/07 ronaldo was from the right

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Think Cantona is really underrated in these. Maybe I'm a bit biased in this as he's one of my favorite players and the catalyst of the Fergie side that went on and become what United is today. He was an imposing figure but also a team player, he glued and led a team full of youngster to become a dominating side and only his always contradictory persona and character didn't let him achieve the heights he deserved both internationally and in the CL.

But as a natural born leader and huge character in the game I think he'll fit straight in this Barca based midfield/team. False 9 of sorts or dropping deep leaving space for Henry/Ronaldo he's brilliant fit, but also his hardman character also provides something extra into that team and another dimension to their game. I don't think there would be any clash of personalities either as Henry is not the type of player who will have problems with him, neither Ronaldo, who I see being only respective to his character. He was like that - enchanting leader who always won the respect to others and it's not like United didn't have strong characters at the time.
I just prefer Cantona moving around a CF

MJJ

In real life managers don't have an army of consultants telling them what's wrong from the very first minute. Furthermore, your team's week long prep went to the dustbin.

No gripe with you. It's something that has happened several times before (one reason subs were banned) and my take is it should -and will- benefit you in the next game. As far as this one is concerned, your team were badly setup and ill-prepared.

:lol: C'mon anto.

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Congrats @2mufc0 . Very good team and one to watch for. @Paz has done great considering this is his first draft. I may be biased but I think the only significant upgrade for our team will be Ferdinand alongside Vidic. Good game

Enigma_87

You know who
I just prefer Cantona moving around a CF
He will in this formation, or at least how I envisage things. Both Henry and Ronaldo will operate up top and attack the box with him dropping deep at some point. False 9 of sorts would suit him pretty well.

When Barca were losing to pragmatic sides and sides that defended with character I think that was one something that was missing in their game and whilst having a team of technical players who dominate possession and starve the opposition off it it's a good option to have a fighter able to lead by such example.

Not that Barca midfield/game plan needed amending as no one came close to them when Messi/Xavi and Iniesta were in their heyday, but in an all time draft with Matthaus/Platini/Gattuso on the other side think a player like Cantona is pretty useful in this set up.

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Messi in place of cantona? Keane/Robson in place of xabi.
Personally, don't think Messi and CR will see eye to eye together. :D

Keane and Robson are b2b and would not be fully utilized as DM. Busquets would be a boring albeit proven choose. Perhaps Mascherano instead if we want a destroyer, but having a ball playing DM like Alonso in this setup seems better

MJJ

Personally, don't think Messi and CR will see eye to eye together. :D

Keane and Robson are b2b and would not be fully utilized as DM. Busquets would be a boring albeit proven choose. Perhaps Mascherano instead if we want a destroyer, but having a ball playing DM like Alonso in this setup seems better
I think keane would work very well in that midfield, ignoring the personal rivalry messi is the first name I would pick if I was building a team of GOATs. He is one of the most flexible around and has shown that he is willing to share the stage with other greats.

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
I think keane would work very well in that midfield, ignoring the personal rivalry messi is the first name I would pick if I was building a team of GOATs. He is one of the most flexible around and has shown that he is willing to share the stage with other greats.
Actually, Messi was our first choice, but was taken before our turn. Came to second round, we wanted Ferdinand, and got taken again

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Congrats @2mufc0 . Very good team and one to watch for. @Paz has done great considering this is his first draft. I may be biased but I think the only significant upgrade for our team will be Ferdinand alongside Vidic. Good game
Thanks mate, and well done to yourself and @Paz that's one hell of a front 3.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Actually, Messi was our first choice, but was taken before our turn. Came to second round, we wanted Ferdinand, and got taken again
I'm surprised you went for a F9 formation despite not getting Messi. With CR you should have built more of a current RM replica.

And Puyol at R3 is shocking, when the likes of McGrath didn't even get picked.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
He will in this formation, or at least how I envisage things. Both Henry and Ronaldo will operate up top and attack the box with him dropping deep at some point. False 9 of sorts would suit him pretty well.

When Barca were losing to pragmatic sides and sides that defended with character I think that was one something that was missing in their game and whilst having a team of technical players who dominate possession and starve the opposition off it it's a good option to have a fighter able to lead by such example.

Not that Barca midfield/game plan needed amending as no one came close to them when Messi/Xavi and Iniesta were in their heyday, but in an all time draft with Matthaus/Platini/Gattuso on the other side think a player like Cantona is pretty useful in this set up.

I understand your point of view even if I would have preferred a more mobile/pacey player for the CF/False 9 position to exploit the long passing skills of Xavi & Xabi Alonso

Enigma_87

You know who
I understand your point of view even if I would have preferred a more mobile/pacey player for the CF/False 9 position to exploit the long passing skills of Xavi & Xabi Alonso
Cheers. Yeah not a selfish and complete #9 would work pretty well. Apart from Eto'o maybe Law would slot right in I suppose. Cantona would always be a tough sell.

antohan

:lol: C'mon anto.
The reason subs were banned was some managers royally cocked up and fixed it within an hour, which was unfair on the manager who had constructed his team properly.

Moving pieces already on the pitch is much closer to what could realistically happen, but this was a fundamental change. The redeeming advantage was everyone would be more comfortable, but you have to consider Matthäus frustration going into the game after spending all week running into Nedved in training.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I don't think he has played 90% his IF role on the left tbh. All things considered half of the time he was as a CF or roaming forward for Real in his career there. He came from behind and attacked the box as much from the left as from the center or right. Sure as WF role he's more fluent on the left, but half of the time he was also Real's target man.

As a wide player I actually prefer him in his United form, rather than the LWF where he was more of a goalscorer and not the exciting winger/cutting inside winger. His overall best to me was 11/12 where he shared most of all traits - accomplished and great goalscorer but also tricky, wide, creative player.

As a team build around him he absolutely has to play as a LWF as that's his favorite role, but to me this team is build around Spain/Barca and Xaviesta running the show, which IMO is also equally devastating combination and a sound game plan.
roaming forward and a target man but starting from the left. As i said, i dont think he cant do it but it was strange to see personally....
06/07 ronaldo was from the right
06/07 nor any United version isnt suited to tiki taka IMO
The only version of Ronaldo that would be a fantastic fit for tiki taka is late Madrid version where he isnt interested in creating, dribbling etc. and lets other ran the game while he kills them with movement and goals.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
In real life managers don't have an army of consultants telling them what's wrong from the very first minute. Furthermore, your team's week long prep went to the dustbin.

No gripe with you. It's something that has happened several times before (one reason subs were banned) and my take is it should -and will- benefit you in the next game. As far as this one is concerned, your team were badly setup and ill-prepared.
Aye. Despite 2mufc0 fielding a bucketload of personal favourites, I thought paz/gs were better set up to hit the ground running from the kick-off.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
The reason subs were banned was some managers royally cocked up and fixed it within an hour, which was unfair on the manager who had constructed his team properly.

Moving pieces already on the pitch is much closer to what could realistically happen, but this was a fundamental change. The redeeming advantage was everyone would be more comfortable, but you have to consider Matthäus frustration going into the game after spending all week running into Nedved in training.
I'll forever be bitter about Cal changing his entire fecking strategy and midfield about 10 minutes into a draft final against me and @Skizzo and then winning by a single vote. Nothing wrong or unusual in factoring in in-match changes when deciding on your vote. It was enough for me to think Paz/GS would have taken the lead here, but I think 2mufc0 would have came back to draw or win it by the odd goal. The stage was set for Platini to have a decisive influence.

Great to see Cantona running the show in a draft.

Need to rewatch him because I have always considered him as a second striker in a 4-4-2 system.
Aye, he was a second striker but I think he's a good fit as a false 9. Wonderful technique and vision, tended to look for the assist rather than taking the selfish option, and as a bonus he was so physically strong with his back to goal. He was a great tactical fit here IMO, but the issue was his record on the biggest stages relative to that of legendary direct opponents in Scirea and Kohler. Kohler also had that incredible performance vs Cantona in 1997 :(.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Both teams are very great.

MOTM: Cristiano Ronaldo, Henry
MOTM: Platini, Matthaus

Cheers. Yeah not a selfish and complete #9 would work pretty well. Apart from Eto'o maybe Law would slot right in I suppose. Cantona would always be a tough sell.
Aye, he was a second striker but I think he's a good fit as a false 9. Wonderful technique and vision, tended to look for the assist rather than taking the selfish option, and as a bonus he was so physically strong with his back to goal. He was a great tactical fit here IMO, but the issue was his record on the biggest stages relative to that of legendary direct opponents in Scirea and Kohler. Kohler also had that incredible performance vs Cantona in 1997 :(.
Thanks, he was my only one question mark from a tactical perspective for teal GS/Paz, the other being Gattuso for 2mufc0

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I'll forever be bitter about Cal changing his entire fecking strategy and midfield about 10 minutes into a draft final against me and @Skizzo and then winning by a single vote. Nothing wrong or unusual in factoring in in-match changes when deciding on your vote. It was enough for me to think Paz/GS would have taken the lead here, but I think 2mufc0 would have came back to draw or win it by the odd goal. The stage was set for Platini to have a decisive influence.
Did he at least have a proper RB ? :mad::lol:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Great first attempt. Personally I didnt vote for your side because I didnt feel Cantona and CR were right for this tactic but I didnt vote against because Gattuso was underwhelming for me here.

MJJ

No you don't, if you want to want for an underdog just say so. Don't make up bs criteria like this. I remember us both voting for sides in the past where we have gone against the manager's instructions because we believed good players play their natural game regardless of managers instructions.

Adding whole week training to the prep is weird to say the least, why not consider which side has more footballers who speak the same language while you are it or how much will they respect each manager.