The 4-Way Draft R1: Enigma vs Physiocrat

With players at peak, who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I quite like the Zanetti inside-right channel arrow. Makes sense given the pure orthodox winger ahead of him and the ability to create another ball retention option in the heart of the midfield.

Enigma_87

You know who
@Enigma_87 didnt target you it was a general comment and as i said, not based on this game and this specific situation.
Ah, got it cheers. Perhaps it's due to his notorious sliding tackles that usually end with cards. This however is only part of his defensive game and I agree that he tends to be underrated at times.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
on Rui Costa I don't have issues with him in that role to be honest, but as a main playmaker (and he's pretty damn good one) think you had to sacrifice Scholes for another B2B or DM to support the midfield.

From my understanding in possession you are trying to set up Scholes/Rui Costa core centrally a bit like Pirlo/Rui Costa at Milan in their CL run with Zanetti/Vieira as LCM/RCM instead of Gattuso and Seedorf?

I don't think you actually need another playmaker in the side with Rui Costa already there. He's perfectly capable of running the show if he has the midfield base to support him.
I can see how it is a little light with Rui Costa and Scholes but as Bepo mentioned Scholes is better than he's given credit for defensively.

In regards the Milan comparison that's what I'm attempting in possession. The main difference being I sport a winger as well. It is a very attacking set-up with two playmakers one advanced and one deep but reckon it would be great to watch and create many chances. Irrespective of who would win this game I can see it being high scoring

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Oaencha I see your point about Pires but I hate the guy. Possibly irrationally but watching United in the early 2000s against him I just wanted to punch him. Also as a subsidiary playmaker I think he works well but Bergkamp is more of a creator than Rivaldo hence the Rui Costa choice.
:lol:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Actually van Hanegem is known for his engine and great teamwork as well. He's one of the best box to box midfielders and also operating in his favorite LCM zone.

Have a look at the game against Celtic how many interceptions he makes, breaking up the play, but also covering and sliding into tackles.
Admittedly I'm a bit of a van Hanegem fetishist but I totally agree. He was excellent defensively, both in terms of workrate and fearsome tackling. With Stiles as a holding player that's a formidable defensive shield.

Scholes is there so he has the most passing options possible. Essentially he's just taking up the Pirlo position in the diamond at Milan in possession. Vieira was a defensive box-to-box so want to utilise his engine forwards and back. Further, it allows Zanetti to aid the midfield in a Lahmesque role which isn't a problem defensively since he has no left winger.
Yep, no issues with your central midfield setup either. I think we agreed on this in an old Premier League draft, but Vieira's 'need' for a sitting midfielder alongside him wasn't anything to do with him needing someone to do the heavy lifting for him, but rather to free him up to break forward or press higher up the pitch. I do agree with others that I'd prefer Zanetti's emphasis to be on overloading the right wing with Ovarmars rather than supporting the midfield however, although it's obviously not beyond him to do a bit of both.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Random thoughts

1. Overmars - whose centre of gravity is low - isn't a gift for players like Fachetti.
2. Overmars on the left and Rui Costa could have been another option
3. Jairzinho-Carlos Alberto is the best asset for Enigma. Candela will suffer.
4. Netzer maybe slightly better as a LCM?
5. I also prefer Rivaldo as a support striker
6. Eusebio is restricted but it could work

Enigma_87

You know who
@Ecstatic Netzer played both as LCM, RCM and CM in a 4-3-3 and also as a CM in 4-2-4. He's naturally right footed so if anything I'd rather put him as a RCM in a 4-3-3 than LCM. Won't make much difference given his playmaking role (a bit like Xavi as a RCM and LCM for Barca and Spain), but to me RCM would fit him better.

Eusebio is on a free role here. He can roam around pretty much in his natural game.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Thanks for thé answer enigma

My Internet connection is poor until tomorrow morning so i cannot watch YouTube.

It would .be unfair to vote on thé basis of prejudices about some players

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Jaysus, that scoreline!

The non symmetrical formation jinx!
Harsh result but not surprising.

Enigma has a superb team.

Nobby is a famous player but never watched him.

Rui Costa is hard To assess: unconsistent player iirc

Candela has always been disappointing with France, maybe because he is more at ease in a 352 system.

Also aesthetics have a minor impact on the result: a 442 tends To suggest the team is light compared To other tactical systems.

Rivaldo is the brazilian goat with a low number of appearances in the drafts: translation under-appreciated.

Good job both managers

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Enigma_87 Great team you had there and I fully expected this result. Even if I had gone with a specific game plan to beat you your individual quality was significantly higher than mine. Hence why I just went with my initial plan which got some appreciation, notably from Gio, which was nice. Ideally with this system you'd want a proper DM and a creative CM rather than a box-to-box and DLP. The problem was in the time period I picked there weren't any creative CMs who could play in a midfield two and the DMs were poor on the ball. Rui Costa unsurprisingly was a little controversial in that position but I have no doubts he would work well there as would any mobile 10.

Your most significant defect going forward I think is the narrowness of your left side, the rest is really good.

Enigma_87

You know who
@Enigma_87 Great team you had there and I fully expected this result. Even if I had gone with a specific game plan to beat you your individual quality was significantly higher than mine. Hence why I just went with my initial plan which got some appreciation, notably from Gio, which was nice. Ideally with this system you'd want a proper DM and a creative CM rather than a box-to-box and DLP. The problem was in the time period I picked there weren't any creative CMs who could play in a midfield two and the DMs were poor on the ball. Rui Costa unsurprisingly was a little controversial in that position but I have no doubts he would work well there as would any mobile 10.

Your most significant defect going forward I think is the narrowness of your left side, the rest is really good.
Cheers mate. Unorthodox systems would always be a tough sell, you have done pretty well to offer something fresh and I'm sure it's not Gio who appreciates it.

I didn't have any issue with Rui Costa in that role, hence never mentioning it even from the off. The only two issues were as you said the CM and Candela, especially when up against Jairzinho/Carlos Alberto. You were 2 players from making that unorthodox idea really click.

It was really unfortunate that the pool got slashed as well as you could've had some additional nice options for double pivot.

I have Keizer on the bench but really liked the idea of Facchetti owning the flank like his Inter days and combining with Eusebio and Van Hanegem as cover. Will see how the rest of the draft goes but to me that's my best team right here.

Enigma_87

You know who
Thanks for thé answer enigma

My Internet connection is poor until tomorrow morning so i cannot watch YouTube.

It would .be unfair to vote on thé basis of prejudices about some players
Thanks mate, no worries.