The 4-Way Draft : SF - 2mufc0 vs Enigma

With players at career peak, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I think players like Facchetti and Carlos are best used in Zona Mista where you have a limited RB capable of performing as a RCB, with none of the CB's too interested in joining the midfield battle in the libero role. That setup gives them a platform to perform at their best.
Wasn't Zona Mista always played with a libero happy to join the midfield battle? Scirea the obvious example, who was certainly interested in moving forward and even loved a well timed run down the right wing to put a quality cross in.

idmanager

Wasn't Zona Mista always played with a libero happy to join the midfield battle? Scirea the obvious example, who was certainly interested in moving forward and even loved a well timed run down the right wing to put a quality cross in.
My understanding of the Zona mista was the sweeper helps in building play from the back while sometimes moving ahead of the defence and not in the Sammer/Kaiser type joining the midfield battle/attack actively role. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I gather/assume both teams are based on a given date of birth period? Seems that was a good way to go given the embarrassment of riches.

On @2mufc0 side I don't have an issue with Maldini. It looks wrong, but he will be absolutely fine. I'm a bit more concerned about the frontline if we are talking about replicas here: you don't have Nedved but a second striker that works wide channels effectively. That's what constantly created the gaps Platini exploited (not just at Juve but for France), so there's a question mark there for me.

On @Enigma_87 there's a greater mish-mash of styles going. I can see how everyone is capable of (or excels at) doing their job but I couldn't really tell if that backline would work well and Jairzinho looks like a spare wheel there for some reason I can't quite put my finger on. Jointly similar question marks/noises as the far more concrete Platini one above.

Oddly, it's precisely the Nedved inclusion that tilts the balance for me. Enigma's midfield is lightweight and unprepared to deal with Platini, Matthäus and Nedved. At the very least they convert Kaiser into a full-time overflowed DM. That in turn makes it a Shesternyov-Chumpitaz CB pair, which suddenly doesn't look particularly awesome to deal with Marco van Basten and Zibi Boniek.

@2mufc0 will perform and win this, despite @Enigma_87 looking more attractive on paper.

Enigma: yes 1940-45
2mufc: players coached by Trappatoni & Capello

SirMattBugsby

I'm going to give @Enigma_87 a bit of a chance here. His players' backs are to the wall, which works perfectly for his playing style. Plus he has Eusebio and Jairzinho in very good positions to hurt @2mufc0 .

Voting for now but I am open to further discussion.

Enigma_87

You know who
I'm going to give @Enigma_87 a bit of a chance here. His players' backs are to the wall, which works perfectly for his playing style. Plus he has Eusebio and Jairzinho in very good positions to hurt @2mufc0 .

Voting for now but I am open to further discussion.
Cheers mate. We've made some changes for this game in particular so that we can neutralize the opponent strengths when he has the ball. We're happy to play counter attacking style as it fits our personal best, hence a lot of players that can immediately switch defence to offence and players in the middle like Beckenbauer, Netzer, Van Hanegem who can distribute the ball directly or look for the flanks.

Carlos Alberto and Facchetti are one of the best at providing width and their attacking and defensive prowess is really unquestionable. Carlos Alberto in particular also played as a CB for his club teams and as @Gio mentioned is tactically very astute to hold the defensive line as well.

Think Schesternyov is also a very good match for Van Basten in terms of physicality but also pace on the deck.

Sure we have two key roles in Beckenbauer and Facchetti, but that's really what made them great players and they are really at home with those roles with nothing else being asked of them which is off their area of expertise.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Cheers mate. We've made some changes for this game in particular so that we can neutralize the opponent strengths when he has the ball. We're happy to play counter attacking style as it fits our personal best, hence a lot of players that can immediately switch defence to offence and players in the middle like Beckenbauer, Netzer, Van Hanegem who can distribute the ball directly or look for the flanks.

Carlos Alberto and Facchetti are one of the best at providing width and their attacking and defensive prowess is really unquestionable. Carlos Alberto in particular also played as a CB for his club teams and as @Gio mentioned is tactically very astute to hold the defensive line as well.

Think Schesternyov is also a very good match for Van Basten in terms of physicality but also pace on the deck.

Sure we have two key roles in Beckenbauer and Facchetti, but that's really what made them great players and they are really at home with those roles with nothing else being asked of them which is off their area of expertise.
I happened to read an interview with Carlos Alberto earlier where he specifically mentioned Jairzinho being deployed as the main counter-attacking weapon in the Brazil 1970 team:

Carlos Alberto said:
That is more important than theorising about a 4-2-4 or a 4-3-3. In the qualifiers we played the 4-2-4 formation on paper, but not per se on the field. Out of possession, we simply had to track back. Tostão came back, Gerson defended, and so did Pelé. Everybody had to defend and shore up the midfield, except Jairzinho. He stayed up front and was the point of escape.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Enigma: yes 1940-45
2mufc: players coached by Trappatoni & Capello
Oh, didn't know you could pick up to two managers, that's very handy as well. Why on earth would you pick a country other than Brazil then?

Enigma_87

You know who
I happened to read an interview with Carlos Alberto earlier where he specifically mentioned Jairzinho being deployed as the main counter-attacking weapon in the Brazil 1970 team:
Cheers mate, indeed. A lot of that Brazil team, even Zagallo describe the 4-2-4 more of a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 as the team defended as a unit. Here again Jairzinho would be in that role as I had Law who is a hard working CF who also tracks back.

Enigma_87

You know who
Anyhow I'm glad that my team has caught some love at the end as it was 14-4 at one point so getting more respectable result I think was pretty fair in this match up.

Good luck in the final @2mufc0 you have an awesome team and deserve to go forward.

Happy with the draft as I got the best team and the the opportunity to build around Netzer, Beckenbauer and Law.

The only drawback I see @Edgar Allan Pillow is the reinforcement rounds - think they should've been opened with the first two picks as it became really obsolete for some teams.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Anyhow I'm glad that my team has caught some love at the end as it was 14-4 at one point so getting more respectable result I think was pretty fair in this match up.

Good luck in the final @2mufc0 you have an awesome team and deserve to go forward.

Happy with the draft as I got the best team and the the opportunity to build around Netzer, Beckenbauer and Law.

The only drawback I see @Edgar Allan Pillow is the reinforcement rounds - think they should've been opened with the first two picks as it became really obsolete for some teams.
Thanks mate, and yes you're right about the scoreline it should be close as you have a great team too.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Cheers mate, indeed. A lot of that Brazil team, even Zagallo describe the 4-2-4 more of a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 as the team defended as a unit. Here again Jairzinho would be in that role as I had Law who is a hard working CF who also tracks back.
It looks really similar to a modern 4-2-3-1. Slightly lopsided with Jairzinho higher than Rivelino, but very similar to what you'd see from many teams today.