Television The absurd price of watching the Premier League

OleBoiii

I live in Norway, but I've heard that it's pretty much the same everywhere else. Keep in mind that the Norwegian currency has been particularly weak for the last year, so it's usually more expensive than this.

If you want to watch the PL legally in Norway, you have to pay for a package that costs 38 pounds(48 USD) a month. For comparison, you can get all of the below for 33.5 pounds(42.5 USD) a month:
  • Netflix
  • HBO
  • Amazon Prime
  • Disney+
  • Apple TV

I'm lazy so I just pay for the damn thing, but I do feel like it's a luxury purchase. How did watching football on TV become so damn expensive? Is there nothing that can be done about this? Does boycotting even help? I feel that more and more people use illegal streams(I did as well when I was a poor student), but still nothing has changed. It was absurdly expensive 10 years ago, and it's absurdly expensive now.

cyberman

My heaet bleeds for you.
Im canceling my sky package plus internet that went up to 200 euro a month for some reason.
Off i go to firestick land and its their own fault

freeurmind

weak willed
Here, only one satellite carrier shows all the Premier League games. Cheapest package showing all the games is about 25 euros. You get all the La Liga and Seria A games as well.

OleBoiii

Im canceling my sky package plus internet that went up to 200 euro a month for some reason.
Here, only one satellite carrier shows all the Premier League games. Cheapest package showing all the games is about 25 euros. You get all the La Liga and Seria A games as well.
Btw, which countries are you living in? 25 euros for PL, Serie A and La Liga sounds like a crazy good deal to me.

cyberman

What the actual feck?!

I will never understand these shite package deals. Absolute robbery.
Ireland here.
Thats with every deal imaginable. Ive passed that sub on to other members of my family when ive moved house etc and didnt need it.
feck knows how much it would be without deals to keep me on when I phoned up to quit.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The UK definitely has one of the worst deals. If all games could be watched I think people would be happy with the price.

Until people stop tuning in through legitimate means then nothing will change.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
In the UK to get the full package you need to pay for Sky Sports, BT Sports and Amazon seperately, and even then less than half the games are actually broadcast so you end up using a dodgy internet stream to watch your own team's games.

Can't even say what the costs are because everything's rolled into TV packages, but you'd be lucky to get all of it and be paying less than £100 a month (although that would include your broadband costs).

Handré1990

I live in Norway, but I've heard that it's pretty much the same everywhere else. Keep in mind that the Norwegian currency has been particularly weak for the last year, so it's usually more expensive than this.

If you want to watch the PL legally in Norway, you have to pay for a package that costs 38 pounds(48 USD) a month. For comparison, you can get all of the below for 33.5 pounds(42.5 USD) a month:
  • Netflix
  • HBO
  • Amazon Prime
  • Disney+
  • Apple TV

I'm lazy so I just pay for the damn thing, but I do feel like it's a luxury purchase. How did watching football on TV become so damn expensive? Is there nothing that can be done about this? Does boycotting even help? I feel that more and more people use illegal streams(I did as well when I was a poor student), but still nothing has changed. It was absurdly expensive 10 years ago, and it's absurdly expensive now.
If you want to watch CL it’s double.

Hoof the ball

In the UK to get the full package you need to pay for Sky Sports, BT Sports and Amazon seperately, and even then less than half the games are actually broadcast so you end up using a dodgy internet stream to watch your own team's games.

Can't even say what the costs are because everything's rolled into TV packages, but you'd be lucky to get all of it and be paying less than £100 a month (although that would include your broadband costs).
Streams have been clear and consistent for a few years now.The days of choppy, buffering streams are more or less a thing of the past.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'm paying around 25 Euros for Sky, which gives me access to most BL, CL and like one PL match per kickoff time.
Another 10 for DAZN to cover the rest of BL/CL and European leagues in general.

What is correct though is that antitrust guidelines breaking monopolies has only increased prices for consumers. Prices haven't gone down one cent for reduced coverage and instead I had to take out another subscription in DAZN.
35 Euros a month total is still a more than fair price for all the entertainment I get out of it though.

OleBoiii

I'm paying around 25 Euros for Sky, which gives me access to most BL, CL and like one PL match per kickoff time.
Another 10 for DAZN to cover the rest of BL/CL and European leagues in general.

What is correct though is that antitrust guidelines breaking monopolies has only increased prices for consumers. Prices haven't gone down one cent for reduced coverage and instead I had to take out another subscription in DAZN.
35 Euros a month total is still a more than fair price for all the entertainment I get out of it though.
35 euros for PL, BL, CL and EL(?) is a very good price. In Norway it would cost more than twice as much. Norwegians may have a higher median income, but not nearly twice as much.

When it comes to anything football related it seems like Germany has it all figured out.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
35 euros for PL, BL, CL and EL(?) is a very good price. In Norway it would cost more than twice as much. Norwegians may have a higher median income, but not nearly twice as much.

When it comes to anything football related it seems like Germany has it all figured out.

PayTV as a concept just isn't as popular in Germany as elsewhere. I think it's more about that than football culture.

SirAF

Ageist

• Netflix
  • HBO
  • Amazon Prime
  • Disney+
  • Apple TV

Me too, paying the fee is no problem but it’s just annoying. I’m seriously considering to just subscribe to MUTV through Apple TV next season and watch the reruns and/or extended highlights. 30 quid per year.

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Isn't there a thread already covering this very subject?

Bojan11

• Netflix
  • HBO
  • Amazon Prime
  • Disney+
  • Apple TV

How much is your internet?

Seems like a lot of people from other countries moan. But the UK gets it the worst. We don’t get all the games like you lot. We have to pay more for internet. We have to subscribe to three different services to get half the games.

OleBoiii

How much is your internet?
It depends on where you live in Norway. If you live in a place with fiber optic internet connection(more than 80% of Norwegians do), then you can get a 100 mbit connection for around 20 euros per month. For an additional 30 euros(or so) you get a pretty basic TV package(no football included) with your connection(depending on where you live).

I guess it's possible to add football to some of these packages, but I doubt that it gets much cheaper. Either way, hardly anyone under the age of 35(that I know of) is willing to pay for linear TV. It's all just streaming services.

We don’t get all the games like you lot.
Neither do we. Only about half the games are shown(the big teams, basically).

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
pro tip: find a family member who pays for every channel in existence - use their account to stream it all at your own home.
A fellow leach!
No way I'm paying for it myself. There are always other ways.

padr81

Supports
Man City
My heaet bleeds for you.
Off i go to firestick land and its their own fault
For sure, you're in Ireland right, the prices here are getting stupidly out of hand with Sky. Worst thing is the longer you are a customer and the more loyal you were to them the more they treat you like shit.

prateik

Here its the equivalent of $5 for a year or the Premier League, Bundesliga, F1, a lot of the cricket including the IPL and a lot of movies...

Really fecking cheap.. not that I want it to change.

manutddjw

In Canada I have DAZN which is $20 a month (I did the year subscription for $150) which gives me all PL, Carling Cup, Champions League, Serie A, Europa League and NFL games. I’m very happy with the price. The only thing it doesn’t have is FA Cup and I’ve had to stream a couple of our games, but when it gets to the later rounds it’s on basic cable for me.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
329 nok for viaplay, champions league, FA & league cup (and you get the Bundesliga, Eresdivision & League 1 as well).
449 nok for tv2sumo, premier league.
778 nok in total, equaling 66 pounds a month for 720p league-streams that often enough end in black screens before it starts.
Viaplay finally gets Premier League next round, but then tv2sumo gets Champions League, so it is a pointless change for viewers.

I would prefer everything to go to Viaplay. If they had every streaming right I'd be happy to pay them 500-600 nok a month just for football as their service is at least stable.
I cannot be bothered by TV2's absolute bullshit.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
In Canada I have DAZN which is $20 a month (I did the year subscription for $150) which gives me all PL, Carling Cup, Champions League, Serie A, Europa League and NFL games. I’m very happy with the price. The only thing it doesn’t have is FA Cup and I’ve had to stream a couple of our games, but when it gets to the later rounds it’s on basic cable for me.
How does that work. Is it exclusively football, or do you get other sports in that package as well?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The world of IPTV is so beautiful.
Whats your setup? I have found IPTV to be quite unreliable for football, but probably I just need a few tips. Also happy to pay for reliability.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Simon Jordan had the right of it. It's time the premier League becomes its own broadcaster.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
A fellow leach!
No way I'm paying for it myself. There are always other ways.
Yup. The only thing I pay for myself is Netflix and the ISP (500mb/s down and 75 up) - 13.99 for Netflix UHD and 35 for internet. I don't want to pay more than that. :lol:

That family member pays ungodly amounts for all 600 or whatever channels plus things like college Big 10 package etc.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I get sky go through my parents account. But even they thought it was madness paying 100 a month for it. So they rang them up and got it for 73 a month for six months. Once the six months is up they will ring them again.

What i was thinking is that four people could pool together and split the price four ways and then just use sky go. You can have four different laptops connected to it.

Sky also have a mobile only deal which is seven euro a month.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I was happy with the price, too, until they stated showing advertisements recently.

I did have problems with DAZN because I was using Avast's Real Site feature on my laptop, which was routing all of my traffic through a US server. Not only did I think my router had been compromised but DAZN would always block me, meaning that phone or tablet were the only devices I could use it on. After much digging around online (and no help from DAZNs customer service) I learned how Real Site worked and turned it off.

Zen

Live is always harder to 'acquire' than the actual content.... thus why the live privilege is more expensive than 'all of those' combined.

Most people going online for their live games are even paying now, to a much lower extent of course.

Basically selfishness is why the price is so high, lower people don't want to pay when it's going so high, but it's going so high because the rich of football want to be richer.

cyberman

For sure, you're in Ireland right, the prices here are getting stupidly out of hand with Sky. Worst thing is the longer you are a customer and the more loyal you were to them the more they treat you like shit.
Its honestly a joke. The thing is, we arent subject to a blackout so why can't we have American style full coverage? 1 game at 3 and thats it, otherwise we have the same limitations as the Brits.
It doesn't make sense to me

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
It depends on where you live in Norway. If you live in a place with fiber optic internet connection(more than 80% of Norwegians do), then you can get a 100 mbit connection for around 20 euros per month.
I had heard about very high Norwegian prices (and wages tbf), it's interesting that internet there costs half of what it costs me ($45). Monopoly pricing!