g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Television The absurd price of watching the Premier League

King Eric 7

1. Sadly, i am that family member:(
    Me too! If you call up to cancel BT Sports when you get to the end of your contract they usually slash the price by around a half. Sky will reduce the Sky Sports packages by a bit if you lock into a new contract, too. I also have Amazon Prime but I don't think they show many games, at least not the United ones.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Its honestly a joke. The thing is, we arent subject to a blackout so why can't we have American style full coverage? 1 game at 3 and thats it, otherwise we have the same limitations as the Brits.
It doesn't make sense to me
100%, I've watched more games on my laptop than my tv this year. The feckers are getting almost €1k a year off me for it. 100% on the blackout. We're an afterthought. Really considering binning it too, I mean the kids only watch youtube, myself and the wife only watch Netflix and other than that its used for the new and a few sports. Complete scam.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
100%, I've watched more games on my laptop than my tv this year. The feckers are getting almost €1k a year off me for it. 100% on the blackout. We're an afterthought. Really considering binning it too, I mean the kids only watch youtube, myself and the wife only watch Netflix and other than that its used for the new and a few sports. Complete scam.
Can't you just cast your laptop to your TV?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I pay £80.00 for BT Sport, Sky Sports, La Liga TV, Premier Sports. That also includes internet and an unlimited sim-only deal on my phone. I personally think I’m paying a fair price. I really couldn’t be fecked searching for streams for UFC and big games of football. 90% of them are on TV anyway. Though, it’s definitely time for UK to start showing 3pm kick offs. I really don’t think it would affect attendances too much. In fact I really doubt it would affect attendances at all. It’s what people do. People live for live football.

freeurmind

weak willed
Btw, which countries are you living in? 25 euros for PL, Serie A and La Liga sounds like a crazy good deal to me.
Namibia, so actually when you factor in the average wage, it's not as cheap as it looks.

decorativeed

Here its the equivalent of $5 for a year or the Premier League, Bundesliga, F1, a lot of the cricket including the IPL and a lot of movies...

Really fecking cheap.. not that I want it to change.
You realise that saying 'here' doesn't actually give us any information about where you live, right? So... where's 'here'?

OleBoiii

I had heard about very high Norwegian prices (and wages tbf), it's interesting that internet there costs half of what it costs me ($45). Monopoly pricing!
Most things in Norway aren't really expensive if you adjust for wages(as you mentioned). For most tourists it's absolutely brutal, though.

The following is "artificially" expensive to the point where even Norwegians complain: alcohol, tobacco and restaurants. The first two because of taxes based on old-fashioned thinking. The latter because of low population density and high minimum wages.

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
South Africa here. We get everything broadcast on SuperSport, that is a part of our Dstv subscription. Premium package cost around R900 per month (Roughly £40-£45 converted) & includes load of other sports/footy, movies, channels and now Showmax. It’s still not “cheap” though - not when you factor in the average wage over here as @freeurmind stated as well.

manutddjw

How does that work. Is it exclusively football, or do you get other sports in that package as well?
It has other sports as well, such as NFL, Bellator, Darts, MLW Wrestling and documentaries and shows like Gary Nevilles Soccerbox for Football and NFL. You can subscribe through Phone, laptop or PlayStation but I think it only allows you to register 2 devices.

freeurmind

weak willed
South Africa here. We get everything broadcast on SuperSport, that is a part of our Dstv subscription. Premium package cost around R900 per month (Roughly £40-£45 converted) & includes load of other sports/footy, movies, channels and now Showmax. It’s still not “cheap” though - not when you factor in the average wage over here as @freeurmind stated as well.
I can't live without the rugby and cricket so I always have to fork out for Premium even though I never watch alot of the channels.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I can't live without the rugby and cricket so I always have to fork out for Premium even though I never watch alot of the channels.
Same same here bud. Basically use Dstv for sports and the occasional “prime time” Sunday night movie after carte Blanche :lol: (even though I would have watched said movie in the cinema in all likelihood anyway!)

manutddjw

I was happy with the price, too, until they stated showing advertisements recently.

I did have problems with DAZN because I was using Avast's Real Site feature on my laptop, which was routing all of my traffic through a US server. Not only did I think my router had been compromised but DAZN would always block me, meaning that phone or tablet were the only devices I could use it on. After much digging around online (and no help from DAZNs customer service) I learned how Real Site worked and turned it off.
Yeah that’s one thing DAZN does that I’m not a fan of. For NFL, I guess they can’t how the FOX or CBS logos so they don’t show highlights during a break in the game or have half time shows to watch highlights. A small complaint though because before DAZN, I had to $70 a month for NFL Sunday ticket, $15 for BeinSports, $20 for Sportsnet World on top of my basic cable just to ensure I’d get all the United games.

prateik

You realise that saying 'here' doesn't actually give us any information about where you live, right? So... where's 'here'?
India.
Hotstar is the app/website.. its from STAR, which is murdochs Sky/Fox's Asian wing.

Andy_Cole

I live in Norway, but I've heard that it's pretty much the same everywhere else. Keep in mind that the Norwegian currency has been particularly weak for the last year, so it's usually more expensive than this.

If you want to watch the PL legally in Norway, you have to pay for a package that costs 38 pounds(48 USD) a month. For comparison, you can get all of the below for 33.5 pounds(42.5 USD) a month:
  • Netflix
  • HBO
  • Amazon Prime
  • Disney+
  • Apple TV

I'm lazy so I just pay for the damn thing, but I do feel like it's a luxury purchase. How did watching football on TV become so damn expensive? Is there nothing that can be done about this? Does boycotting even help? I feel that more and more people use illegal streams(I did as well when I was a poor student), but still nothing has changed. It was absurdly expensive 10 years ago, and it's absurdly expensive now.
£38 a month! If it cost me that I’d be laughing.

My Sky and broadband is £115/m

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
£38 a month! If it cost me that I’d be laughing.

My Sky and broadband is £115/m
He is paying 38 pounds a month for a black screen and the occassianl 720p premier-league only football access.
He'll be paying closer to 150 pounds as well if we include payments to isp & champions league.

Andy_Cole

He is paying 38 pounds a month for a black screen and the occassianl 720p premier-league only football access.
He'll be paying closer to 150 pounds as well if we include payments to isp & champions league.
I see - yes that’s expensive then!

I think a fair price for all football (in my case PL/ CL) should be £30/m but don’t think that’ll ever happen.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Time to get more tvs and laptops! More screens, more!
I like your thinking, if I cancelled Sky I could buy 2 decent monitors stream 2 games at once and save 500 quid.

BEST No7

pro tip: find a family member who pays for every channel in existence - use their account to stream it all at your own home.
Yep the only thing I pay for is bt sports at 5.99 a month. Sky go for everything else which I dont pay for

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It has other sports as well, such as NFL, Bellator, Darts, MLW Wrestling and documentaries and shows like Gary Nevilles Soccerbox for Football and NFL. You can subscribe through Phone, laptop or PlayStation but I think it only allows you to register 2 devices.
That's dope. Cheers.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I live in Norway, but I've heard that it's pretty much the same everywhere else. Keep in mind that the Norwegian currency has been particularly weak for the last year, so it's usually more expensive than this.

If you want to watch the PL legally in Norway, you have to pay for a package that costs 38 pounds(48 USD) a month. For comparison, you can get all of the below for 33.5 pounds(42.5 USD) a month:
  • Netflix
  • HBO
  • Amazon Prime
  • Disney+
  • Apple TV

I'm lazy so I just pay for the damn thing, but I do feel like it's a luxury purchase. How did watching football on TV become so damn expensive? Is there nothing that can be done about this? Does boycotting even help? I feel that more and more people use illegal streams(I did as well when I was a poor student), but still nothing has changed. It was absurdly expensive 10 years ago, and it's absurdly expensive now.
cries in American TV prices

hungrywing

Live sport and the particular drug it delivers - your team/horse 'winning' - has been a huge driver in the growing wealth inequality gap.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Iptv is the only way around it really. I've been testing mine out during this restart but going to cancel sky sports as the price is a joke when you don't get all the games.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yeah that’s one thing DAZN does that I’m not a fan of. For NFL, I guess they can’t how the FOX or CBS logos so they don’t show highlights during a break in the game or have half time shows to watch highlights. A small complaint though because before DAZN, I had to $70 a month for NFL Sunday ticket, $15 for BeinSports, $20 for Sportsnet World on top of my basic cable just to ensure I’d get all the United games.
Yeah was the same for me. I'm also a bit miffed that it's hard to get all of the post match Premier League content (discussion, Fanzone, etc) not least because I could watch Seema Jaswal all day long. :drool: