Film The Abyss (1989)

Raoul

Admin
Staff
:lol:

The Abyss is the only Cameron film I’ve yet to watch. I’ve always been put off by awful cgi but now with this blu ray it should be worth going back to.
It was amazing when it came out, but will probably not resonate like that in the present given how productions and audience expectations have evolved over the years.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Watched this a loooong time ago. But can't remember anything on whether I liked the movie...

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Such a great movie, I watched it a few weeks back. Ed Harris is a great actor and also Biehn is great in this.

Sweet Square

It was amazing when it came out, but will probably not resonate like that in the present given how productions and audience expectations have evolved over the years.
The special effects were great even for 1989
It will be interesting to see if they tried to rework some of the cgi.

Most of Cameron older work really holds up. There’s only a few scenes from the Terminator films and Alien which look outdated. But even then there’s a certain charm to the effect that don’t work.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
I know hes not everyones cup of tea, but The Critical Drinker did a piece about the behind the scenes of this movie thats really good.

Tony Clifton

Maybe, we shall see.

I've never viewed this film through the lens of its technical production, so to speak. The presence and eeriness of the deep sea and station scenery definitely resonates and the human tensions and elements are palpable. And it ends beautifully. These aspects are the film's essentials. So I believe it will hold…for re-watchers and new audiences alike.

I have seen this film a few times in the past twenty years or so, most recently in 2022 — it delivers and is still amazing.

I know hes not everyones cup of tea, but The Critical Drinker did a piece about the behind the scenes of this movie thats really good.

That was absolutely insane.