The Athletic: Man Utd - what the rest of football thinks about a club in crisis

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

::sonny::

When you contact the club do you have to speak with Murtogh, Fletcher or Arnold, or the club secretary?

I would call Arnold

Last edited:

cyberman

I think there’s a problem of believing every report that comes out there. The two Atletico links looks made up now but that buried in as confirmation bias regardless.
Edit odds Carrasco is a non starter as well? fecking Vardy?

Blood Mage

The people running Pool and City must laugh their tits off at our clown show.

UpWithRivers

'Old fashioned buffet' :lol: Still serving Prawn sandwiches, vol-au-vents and pigs in blankets?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It’s easy when two defeats equals a crisis too.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Couldn't care less what the Athletic has to say. Pompous bunch of toads.

Zen86

Manchester United in crisis gets the clicks in, so naturally the media perpetuates this as much as possible.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The Athletic are nearly as bad as the red tops sometimes.

Absolute click baity nonsense written to cash in on the poor start to the season. Had United won one of the games would it have been written? No, things would have been the same at the club though.

If I was a club executive wanting to speak to someone about buying or selling a player I would go straight to the sporting director directly, quite obviously. It's not that difficult to comprehend!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
People think that the club is a mess and it's not new, it's been the case since at least 2015-2016.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Athletic seem not sharing the same information adnan has

Real Name

Didnt read it and already sensing a huge drama in the article.

Did it mention Fletcher being promoted 2 times in 6 months?

justsomebloke

Good read - basically a collection of anonymous quotes from executives and staff at other clubs. As you'd expect, they're not very complimentary. They also seem generally reasonable, you don't get a sense of ABU mentality being behind it. All in all, they tend to back up the sort of general view of reality you'd get from reading this forum.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
But it's not the Athletic it's what executives, managers, agents and sporting directors of other clubs have to say. A different set of pompous toads.
It's more the fact they think we care what others do?

Why do I want to hear what the brighton CEO thinks of the club. We all know it's poor.

It feels to me like just another way to kick us while we are down. "lets take a look at why and how United are just that shit, in a fancy reporter way"

no thanks.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
TLDR:

Everyone but Utd fans think it is hilarious

DavelinaJolie

Good read - basically a collection of anonymous quotes from executives and staff at other clubs. As you'd expect, they're not very complimentary. They also seem generally reasonable, you don't get a sense of ABU mentality being behind it. All in all, they tend to back up the sort of general view of reality you'd get from reading this forum.
It's basically saying what a lot of us are saying, the Glazers have been generally poor owners that have neglected to instill a modern football structure in the club and the club is suffering as a result.

I'm not sure why it's receiving the opprobrium it is. I guess the fans are allowed to be critical of the club but not others, even if they are essentially saying the same thing.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Nothing new was said in that whole article. I mean, I didn't previously know that we served roast dinners in the directors box and other clubs do buffets, but I feel that's not really getting to the core of the issue.

justsomebloke

Absolute click baity nonsense written to cash in on the poor start to the season. Had United won one of the games would it have been written? No, things would have been the same at the club though.

If I was a club executive wanting to speak to someone about buying or selling a player I would go straight to the sporting director directly, quite obviously. It's not that difficult to comprehend!
Obviously their experience is that this isn't necessarily the case when it comes to United.

I really don't see how this is "click-baity nonsense." You get views from people in the business that you wouldn't otherwise read. Most of it seems reasonable to me.

Had United won one of the games would it have been written? No, things would have been the same at the club though.

.....so? If that's how it is at the club, then the article is valid. If Athletic had chose not to write it if united had won one of those games, then that's a problem of their editorial policy, not of Manchester United. Who cares.

cyberman

Not sure why other clubs need to know the exact way Utd works but there you go

justsomebloke

It's more the fact they think we care what others do?

Why do I want to hear what the brighton CEO thinks of the club. We all know it's poor.

It feels to me like just another way to kick us while we are down. "lets take a look at why and how United are just that shit, in a fancy reporter way"

no thanks.
You think United is being run poorly, but you're offended and dismissive to read about what professional competitors think about that? That's just stupid.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Our structure, might/probably is out of date. However, everything in football is seen through the prism of results. We could turn it around with the same structure and people would think our back office has become fantastic. I am sure there are sides in this league with a more convoluted, archaic structure than ours but the Athletic will not ask other executives about it.
Everything about the club is over analyzed and viewed in hindsight. The same Athletic have written that Arnold has taken a hands off approach from transfers. Every man and his dog knows Fletcher doesn't call any shots.

DavelinaJolie

Had United won one of the games would it have been written? No, things would have been the same at the club though.

.....so? If that's how it is at the club, then the article is valid. If Athletic had chose not to write it if united had won one of those games, then that's a problem of their editorial policy, not of Manchester United. Who cares.
No, you're missing the point, these writers should write about things that aren't happening. Some kind of alternate universe reporting maybe.

justsomebloke

Our structure, might/probably is out of date. However, everything in football is seen through the prism of results. We could turn it around with the same structure and people would think our back office has become fantastic. I am sure there are sides in this league with a more convoluted, archaic structure than ours but the Athletic will not ask other executives about it.
Everything about the club is over analyzed. The same Athletic have written that Arnold has taken a hands off approach from transfers. Every man and his dog knows Fletcher doesn't call any shots.
That'd be a great argument, if results happened more or less by coincidence. But it doesn't. We won't turn it around with the same structure. Because it's dysfunctional, and that of our competitors mostly isn't. Which means that they tend to make better decisions. Which means they get better results. That's the whole point. "Structure" isn't some whimsy-whamsy theoretical construct - it's the right people making good decisions in a set-up that helps them make the most of their competence. If you have that you get results, if you don't have it you don't.

Tiber

They aren't wrong, but I got live with less insight from League 1 managers

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Athletic are fecking parasites. And these other clubs can feck off too. We’ve finished above the majority of them for years, even the recent ones.

redcorner

Trust me folks

All this will change the day when we get back into top 4 and champions league

Attracting top players and staff wouldnt be a problem

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

No they aren’t :houllier: - it’s no secret we are a shambles, it’s pretty fecking obvious given this transfer window alone.