The Athletic: Why Man Utd's profit must not drop below £65m

Revan

Assumptionman
15% of their stocks?
United is valued at a bit more than 3 billion pounds (based on stock exchange prices), with Glazers owning around 85% of the shares. If they sell 15% of their shares, that is 3B*.85*.15 which is around 400M.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I'm sure someone else has already pointed out, the key here is that it's EBITDA - not PBT. This is crucial - it EXCLUDES our transfer spending.

The last five years it has been: 121m, 192m, 200m, 177m, 186m respectively.

So for me the clause is fairly benign, and isn't the issue. Pure cash is might be.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm sure someone else has already pointed out, the key here is that it's EBITDA - not PBT. This is crucial - it EXCLUDES our transfer spending.

The last five years it has been: 121m, 192m, 200m, 177m, 186m respectively.

So for me the clause is fairly benign, and isn't the issue. Pure cash is might be.
Cash was always the problem this summer. We have only around 90m in cash (we had almost 300m last summer). Furthermore, we reported losses last quarter, and the revenue is projected to be 140m or so less than last year.

Hammondo

United is valued at a bit more than 3 billion pounds (based on stock exchange prices), with Glazers owning around 85% of the shares. If they sell 15% of their shares, that is 3B*.85*.15 which is around 400M.
Well it's not that simple. That's a simple valuation, not what they would sell for.

Our value was dropping before covid and our sponsorship is probably dropping significantly.

Also when putting that many shares on the market it lowers the value of them.

Share selling is taxed if it's profitable.

Reactions: Jippy

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's not as black and white as that. What it says is there could be penalties but it is unlikely. To quote the article.

“Manchester United are different. They are as copper-bottomed an investment prospect as you could expect. They have regular cash flows; quite an attractive proposition. But the covenants are there as protection.

“Just in case Man United go a bit mad in terms of spending money, these act as penalties for poor use of cash as far as the lenders are concerned.”
I know, that's why I used "could". That scenario is very unlikely.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Well clearly it should be. Look at what Hicks and Gillette's debt did to Liverpool. Sent them into liquidation if it wasn't for the court systems.

No team should be allowed to be bought using a leveraged buyout and also Prem should bring in transfer restrictions for debt over a certain amount too imo.
I dont disagree but Unfortunately its all a bit late for that now - we are too far down the line to go back

and Liverpool never went into liquidation - would never happen to us either, all that happens is the banks take control and sell to a new owner.
I am sure lots of our fans would actually like this to happen and its worked out pretty well for the Scouse in the end so far from the end of the world scenario some imagine.

Crashoutcassius

EBITDA so nothing to do with transfers at all.

I'm sure it's possible EBITDA goes to that level but banks wouldn't fear for their loans I don't think so no real impact

Nuts when football journalists try to read into financial stuff like this

Swiss ramble on twitter is excellent

murali_red

I think that article insinuated that we have a covenant (like a condition on a loan repayment with Bank of America) that states our rolling 12 month EBITDA (earning before interest/tax/depreciation/amortization) should not be less 65m. It's a common thing with bank debt, so they know the borrower is in financial strength

This is reviewed quarterly, and the same article said that the issue is our merchandise/match-day revenue is down, and the deadweight we wanted to shift account for 20m of wages per year. So it's causing a problem in our ambitions for the transfer market.

I discussed this with a friend of mine, he said although plausible it's also worth considering a lot of banks are waiving some covenants in this environment or at least showing leniancy. So I'm unsure why BofA wouldn't do the same with a club like ours.
If it's below 65, does it spiral in selling of the club? Then we should do whatever we can to stick it upto Glazers

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
The author of the original Medium story this article is based on has since deleted the story by the way. Maybe his information were not quite as solid as he initially thought.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
So, basically they either don't understand what EBITDA means (they think it means "profit") - or they're looking for cheap clicks.

First rate journalism.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Great start a thread with a pay wall article
The Athletic can set the lawyers on the CAF if I share behind paywall content. I shared it so that people who subscribe could know it was there.

Lebowski

it was in place enough to stop Murdoch buying the club but that would’ve made the club financially stronger, wouldn’t it?
Sorry for the nitpick, but the Murdoch takeover was blocked by the DTI on the grounds that it may have created a conflict of interests or a monolopy (BSkyB being the sole broadcaster of and owning the best team in the Premier league).

The fit and proper person test was introduced half a decade later in 2004 and is largely regarded to be about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. The Glazers passed it despite the fact that their takeover plan involved buying the club in a hostile takeover financed on debt.

Edit... regarding whether we'd be in better shape had BSkyB's takeover been allowed... you can't prove a counterfactual, but given it involved no debt and a low price in comparison to the owner's vast wealth, then I think its reasonable to assume that in hindsight it would have been preferable to the Glazer era of debt, incompetence and 'no value in the market.

Last edited:

Amerifan

Can someone who actually knows please just answer this one question:

Does it actually mean ‘Profits’?

I mean surely United don’t have to make a £65m profit every year? Surely we don’t post a profit in excess of £65m every year? How would we ever buy anyone if that was the case?

Transfers don’t affect Profit and Loss anyway do they? Although they are accounted for as player costs, which include wages, on an annual basis.

In any event due to Corona that £65m is well fecked.

Surely someone is getting confused somewhere? Anyone who genuinely knows what’s going on?
Profit is how much is left over after everyone has been paid what they are due. If banks required a business to be profitable they wouldn’t make many loans. Banks don’t care much about a business’s profits. Banks care about whether the business generates enough cash to pay back the loan. EBITDA is one measure of that.

Amerifan

How on earth did the PL pass them as fit and proper owners. Plunging the world’s most profitable football club into debt. It’s madness.
Virtually all businesses have debt. Apple is hugely profitable and has enormous cash reserves, yet they just took out loans because they could get money cheaply. Borrowing money to make more money is good business.

red thru&thru

EBITDA so nothing to do with transfers at all.

I'm sure it's possible EBITDA goes to that level but banks wouldn't fear for their loans I don't think so no real impact

Nuts when football journalists try to read into financial stuff like this

Swiss ramble on twitter is excellent
To be fair to Laurie, he uses Kieran Maguire to explain all. Which he basically said what you said.

Lebowski

Virtually all businesses have debt. Apple is hugely profitable and has enormous cash reserves, yet they just took out loans because they could get money cheaply. Borrowing money to make more money is good business.
It depends what you do with the money you borrow.

Taking advantage of record low interest rates to purchase an asset or invest in training, players or a new stadium may be good business, but taking on expensive debt to increase the Glazer family share portfolio isn't good business, unless you happen to be the Glazer family.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
The bank will, in almost all certainty waive the covenant. Our bank waived the covenant around 18 quarters in a row. They just sent us a warning. Especially in this environment. I’m sure there have already been high level talks. I suspect this is a nothing article, just raising more speculation on an easy target.
Probably yes, a bunch of journos who nothing about anything trying to whip up a frenzy which does not exist to get 100 million clicks on their article.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Just wondering what sort of money will we have lost not having a lucrative pre-season tour? United are usually pretty big business when we go abroad.

Amerifan

It depends what you do with the money you borrow.

Taking advantage of record low interest rates to purchase an asset or invest in training, players or a new stadium may be good business, but taking on expensive debt to increase the Glazer family share portfolio isn't good business, unless you happen to be the Glazer family.
The Glazers own the business (most of it anyway). A leveraged buyout was good business for them. On paper they’ve made a tidy profit as the club’s value has appreciated greatly during their tenure.

From a purely business perspective splashing cash on all those transfers since SAF left has been a poor use of funds. If profit was all they cared about the Glazers could have pocketed that money and the club’s valuation still would have risen due to the Sky deal. For all the criticism they face, the Glazers have not cash cowed the club.

diarm

Dude, the entire debt is just 400 million. The club is valued at a bit more than 3 billion. At worst possible scenario when the bank would like to take over cause we would be unable to pay debt etc, the Glazers would just sell as little as 15% of their stocks and be able to pay the entire debt.

This United going into administration has always been a MUST propaganda. It had less chances than me banging Scarlett Johansson.
Something has just stuck me reading what you said there. How does listing a club on the stock exchange, or making shares available for purchase, marry with the leagues owners test? If the Glazers just decided to make 51% of the shares available tomorrow what recourse would the league have in deciding who bought those shares?

Why doesn't Mike Ashley just do this with Newcastle and let the Saudis buy the club that way? Surely the Premier League can't dictate to the stock market who buys what?

SaboTaj

I don’t get the point of that article. Clearly the timing insinuates that the author is trying to suggest this clause is somehow responsible for the low levels of spending we’ve seen from the club. But the article itself then clears the air by pointing out that the money spent on transfers does not have any bearing on this minimum profit limit of 65 million (since transfers are amortized in the books etc.).

Also, the article from Medium that it cites as the main source has been removed from the site. Make what you want of it.

So all in all it’s a nothing article (which might interest people who’re into Corporate Finance) explaining how certain run of the mill covenants built into multi-million dollar lending agreements operate.

Last edited:

Lebowski

The Glazers own the business (most of it anyway). A leveraged buyout was good business for them. On paper they’ve made a tidy profit as the club’s value has appreciated greatly during their tenure.

From a purely business perspective splashing cash on all those transfers since SAF left has been a poor use of funds. If profit was all they cared about the Glazers could have pocketed that money and the club’s valuation still would have risen due to the Sky deal. For all the criticism they face, the Glazers have not cash cowed the club.
The LBO was great for them- it allowed them to purchase an enormous prestige asset that generates more money than any normal person can ever spend without needing or risking their own capital.

It's just a shame that it has been absolutely disastrous for the millions of fans who saw their club saddled with debt for the first time and an entity of enormous cultural and historical capital which they felt a sense of belonging to become the legal property of a strange family from Florida.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Ive never known in an accounting sense how player acquisitions are treated, cash purchases asset (balance sheet) surely an amount of said players value to the club gets depreciated and hits P&L (Assuming divided by length of contract) so if we give someone a 5 year contract and they cost 50m surely that seasons account will show a 10m hit on the P&L under depreciation? I understand thats after EBITDA level but is that how its treated in a nutshell?

laughtersassassin

I dont disagree but Unfortunately its all a bit late for that now - we are too far down the line to go back

and Liverpool never went into liquidation - would never happen to us either, all that happens is the banks take control and sell to a new owner.
I am sure lots of our fans would actually like this to happen and its worked out pretty well for the Scouse in the end so far from the end of the world scenario some imagine.
They didn't go into liquidation but they where on the very brink of it. The courts forced them to sell the club at an offer they didn't want to accept.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
They didn't go into liquidation but they where on the very brink of it. The courts forced them to sell the club at an offer they didn't want to accept.
Not really - there was never any serious danger of liquidation and its the banks who forced them to sell, they tried to fight the banks in the courts and lost

Something has just stuck me reading what you said there. How does listing a club on the stock exchange, or making shares available for purchase, marry with the leagues owners test? If the Glazers just decided to make 51% of the shares available tomorrow what recourse would the league have in deciding who bought those shares?
There is no connection between selling shares and the league owners test.

None - which is of course how the Glazers were able to buy the club in the first place.
When Glazer bought the club it was a Publicly Listed Company in the UK with thousands of shareholders

Denis' cuff

Sorry for the nitpick, but the Murdoch takeover was blocked by the DTI on the grounds that it may have created a conflict of interests or a monolopy (BSkyB being the sole broadcaster of and owning the best team in the Premier league).

The fit and proper person test was introduced half a decade later in 2004 and is largely regarded to be about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. The Glazers passed it despite the fact that their takeover plan involved buying the club in a hostile takeover financed on debt.

Edit... regarding whether we'd be in better shape had BSkyB's takeover been allowed... you can't prove a counterfactual, but given it involved no debt and a low price in comparison to the owner's vast wealth, then I think its reasonable to assume that in hindsight it would have been preferable to the Glazer era of debt, incompetence and 'no value in the market.
I know mate, but where were they (the fit n proper brigade) when the Glazers came to town

Lebowski

Ive never known in an accounting sense how player acquisitions are treated, cash purchases asset (balance sheet) surely an amount of said players value to the club gets depreciated and hits P&L (Assuming divided by length of contract) so if we give someone a 5 year contract and they cost 50m surely that seasons account will show a 10m hit on the P&L under depreciation? I understand thats after EBITDA level but is that how its treated in a nutshell?
They're intangible assets so its amortisation not depreciation, but aside from that minor nitpick your example is exactly how they're treated.

If we buy a player for £50m on a 5 year contract, then the effect on the P&L is an extra £10m a year amortised cost for 5 years, and their wages become an op cost.

A player sale does the reverse - wage and amortisation is removed, and if the transfer fee is higher than the book value, that additional value is added to the P&L as profit.

cyril C

I think that article insinuated that we have a covenant (like a condition on a loan repayment with Bank of America) that states our rolling 12 month EBITDA (earning before interest/tax/depreciation/amortization) should not be less 65m. It's a common thing with bank debt, so they know the borrower is in financial strength

This is reviewed quarterly, and the same article said that the issue is our merchandise/match-day revenue is down, and the deadweight we wanted to shift account for 20m of wages per year. So it's causing a problem in our ambitions for the transfer market.

I discussed this with a friend of mine, he said although plausible it's also worth considering a lot of banks are waiving some covenants in this environment or at least showing leniancy. So I'm unsure why BofA wouldn't do the same with a club like ours.
Yes I believe this make sense. While BofA may not want to grant additional loan such that you can go out on a buying spree, renewing existing loan should not be an issue.

mumbai_red

Sorry to nitpick man.

But I think you mean, the club will issue new shares worth GBP 400mn at current market prices - GBP 3bn. That will mean, 400mn will come into the club (equity infusion) and not be sold by the Glazers. Of course that means, their shareholding will go down by 15% - so Glazers will own 85% * (1 - 15%) = 72.3%

This is one of the great advantages of listing. We could do a smaller issuance, say 200mn, there is no way the club is going down because of a covenant. Business has to fundamentally suffer.

GloryHunter07

Our debt covenants prevent our 12 month rolling profits from falling below that figure. Anything below that, and administrators could come in.
Hold on there mate, failing a covenant doesn't push you into administration. It just means you can be asked to pay the loan back immediately.

GloryHunter07

I love getting financial statement analysis from forum posters with zero accounting and finance knowledge. It’s the best type of analysis.
Its quite infuriating the amount of nonsense being spouted by the journalist and some of our posters.

Revan

Assumptionman
Sorry to nitpick man.

But I think you mean, the club will issue new shares worth GBP 400mn at current market prices - GBP 3bn. That will mean, 400mn will come into the club (equity infusion) and not be sold by the Glazers. Of course that means, their shareholding will go down by 15% - so Glazers will own 85% * (1 - 15%) = 72.3%

This is one of the great advantages of listing. We could do a smaller issuance, say 200mn, there is no way the club is going down because of a covenant. Business has to fundamentally suffer.
I meant more simply selling some of their stock to pay the debt. What you are saying is a bit more realistic though. Of course, diluting the stocks might come with stocks losing value.

Nevertheless this is a non issue. The debt is less than 15% of the club’s value. No chance we will go down or anything like that. It was always just fear mongering propaganda, and never based on anything resembling the reality.

Sereques

Because BoA is a leech, they will grant a benefit only if it's enforced by the Federal Government. When I first saw the article, I screamed. Of all places to get a loan, why BoA?