The Beatles

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Fantastic band. I used to think of them as overrated but having finished Abbey Road I have come to the conclusion I couldn't have been more wrong.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Revolver, listen to that..

Tomorrow never knows, nestles beautifully at the back.

The Beatles are amazing but i will admit at first they are hard to take to as young 'un. Purely because we are barraged by 'love me do' and the like.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Revolver is sounding very good:D

I know they released quite a number of albums, but which ones would you say were the best 5 or 6? I'll eventually get through them all, probably.

pillory

I've never really taken to them. By the time I grew a brain I had heard all their great songs so many times I was tired of them, and it has remained that way ever since.

Ivor Ballokov

It changes on quite a regular basis but at this time Rubber Soul is my favourite of their albums, it is smack bang in the middle of early and late Beatles so you get a bit of both worlds.

Norwegian Wood, Michelle, In my life are worth getting the album for alone.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

This.

Somedays It's hard to bring myself to like it because the Scouse Shite seem to use it all the time.

But it is their perfect song in my eyes.

Gazza

The Beatles were class. They wrote so many songs, there's a lot of rubbish out there, but some of their albums - Rubber Soul, Revolver, Abbey Road - are fantastic. The White Album is patchy to my ears, too many average songs although some classics as well, while Help, Magical Mystery Tour, and Let It Be have their moments (the Naked version of Let it Be is probably better than the original).

One of those great bands who were unique at the time - Lennon's lyrics, the guitars, McCartney's bass, Ringo's drums... all have their own style and sound.

And yes, I think most people are suspicious of the Beatles, especially younger people, but if they dig around a bit they'll find some exceptional songs.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Revolver, listen to that..

Tomorrow never knows, nestles beautifully at the back.

The Beatles are amazing but i will admit at first they are hard to take to as young 'un. Purely because we are barraged by 'love me do' and the like.

This.

My favorite Beatles track and album.

We just need to get you onto Radiohead now and your musical taste will be starting to take shape nicely ;)

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Ha ha, well, I've actually stopped listening to Oasis now. The only song of theirs I listen to regularly is Cast No Shadow; 'cos it's fecking ace.

But yes, The Beatles I've been listening to quite a bit recently. To add to The Doors who I love. The Sex Pistols I've also gotten into. In fact I've listened to a lot of new stuff this past month or so. You ever listened to Colin Hay? He's very good to, like his album Man at Work.

Radiohead I may give another go over the weekend, my musical tastes seems to be changing so if they're as good as you constantly make out it shall be worth the time:D

RedNome

I was literally just listening to Bones.
That my friend is because you have fine taste in music.

Ha ha, well, I've actually stopped listening to Oasis now. The only song of theirs I listen to regularly is Cast No Shadow; 'cos it's fecking ace.

But yes, The Beatles I've been listening to quite a bit recently. To add to The Doors who I love. The Sex Pistols I've also gotten into. In fact I've listened to a lot of new stuff this past month or so. You ever listened to Colin Hay? He's very good to, like his album Man at Work.

Radiohead I may give another go over the weekend, my musical tastes seems to be changing so if they're as good as you constantly make out it shall be worth the time:D
There is no IF about it Elvis, as I've said many times, they are THE most important band of our generation.

The Bends would be a good starting point, but don't think you know the band after that one album, they are one of the few current bands to have radically changed their sound over the course of their time. Just because you don't like one of their albums doesn't mean you wouldn't like another.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
There is no IF about it Elvis, as I've said many times, they are THE most important band of our generation.

The Bends would be a good starting point, but don't think you know the band after that one album, they are one of the few current bands to have radically changed their sound over the course of their time. Just because you don't like one of their albums doesn't mean you wouldn't like another.
I thought Travis were the most important band of this generation?

I jest of course; the two Radiohead albums I have downloaded are OK Computer and in Rainbows. I'll download Bends and have a Radiohead marathon on Sunday.

Saying that I've just listened to Airbag and Paranoid Android and they were brilliant, so there's hope yet.

RedNome

I thought Travis were the most important band of this generation?

I jest of course; the two Radiohead albums I have downloaded are OK Computer and in Rainbows. I'll download Bends and have a Radiohead marathon on Sunday.

Saying that I've just listened to Airbag and Paranoid Android and they were brilliant, so there's hope yet.
OK is largely regarded as their best album, and along with The Bends are the most accessible of their offerings. I haven't got a favorite really, they're all great for a certain mood.

You'll love em I reckon.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
The Beatles were a fantastic band, maybe the best. I do however think that the wankery between Lennon and Mccartney did a great disservice to George Harrison. The Beatles consisted of 3 brilliant musicians, not 2 geniuses as is so often suggested. You just have to look at some of the crap they produced on their own to see this.

But as a band you can't overrate these guys.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
sorry that should have read "3 brilliant musicians and 1 outstanding narrater of Childrens television shows".

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
What to you makes a band important in a generational sense, Nomers?

For once I'm not actually trying to knock Radiohead. Genuinely interested in your opinion on this matter.

Brophs

The One and Only
What to you makes a band important in a generational sense, Nomers?

For once I'm not actually trying to knock Radiohead. Genuinely interested in your opinion on this matter.
For me it'd be that they're constantly breaking new ground. They could quite easily have released a few more carbon copies of The Bends, but they wanted to change what they were doing, and they did it. Bloody successfully too.

They are one of those bands who have fans across the spectrum, because their brilliance isn't tied to a genre. Jonny Greenwood will probably never get the acclaim of any of The Beatles because what he does isn't accessible in the same way that they were, but I'd have no doubts he deserves to be mentioned in that sort of company.

As Nomes said, they can suit any number of different moods. The whole 'Radiohead are depressing' shtick winds me up, because they're being judged on a few songs instead of on their entire range of songs.

They also are one of the only bands out there who genuinely believe in what they are doing, and refuse to compromise on it. That takes a lot of bottle, IMO.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
the thing you've to remember when listening to band like the bealts is that no body had really sounded liked that before... makes the music even more amaxing

Brophs

The One and Only
the thing you've to remember when listening to band like the bealts is that no body had really sounded liked that before... makes the music even more amaxing
Yes. I agree with drunk-popper.:)

I_live_cement

Cat freak
They also are one of the only bands out there who genuinely believe in what they are doing, and refuse to compromise on it. That takes a lot of bottle, IMO.
What does this actually mean?

Why would they have to compromise on it?

Why does it 'take a lot of bottle' to create music?

Eyepopper

I agree with the rest of the post but that bit is romantic bollocks... when they started out they wanted to make money pure and simple, it drove them to make great music but 'refusing to compromise'? Dont think so, John Lennon denied the existence of his wife and child so as not to put off the young female fans,....

you sells your soul you takes your pay

EDIT: I'm drunk, i thought you were talkinga bout the beatles...

Ivor Ballokov

I did not hear any of it. IMO it is sacrilege.
It was actually the version I heard first and I really like it, I must admit I've only ever listened to the spector version a few times but the naked version feels more like a Beatles album to me.

I've always liked the fact that The Beatles were inspired to make Sgt Pepper by Pet Sounds which in turn was inspired by Rubber Soul.

Must have been a great time to be alive.

Brophs

The One and Only
What does this actually mean?

Why would they have to compromise on it?

Why does it 'take a lot of bottle' to create music?
  • To refuse to make music that is commercial(which they were asked to do by their record company at both the time of OK Computer and Kid A).
  • To refuse to sell out and place their songs in every ad, every movie, every compilation that was released.
  • To refuse to change the name of 'Hail to the thief'(a reference to George W. Bush) for the US release.
  • To sell 'In Rainbows' the way they did-when everyone told them it was commercial suicide.

Those are just a few examples. I admire that they have a bit of integrity about the way they go about their business. It doesn't take a lot of bottle to make music, it takes a lot to bow to the pressures of making it more commercial, to make decisions for fiscal reasons only.

Otherwise, you end up like the vast majority of hackneyed shit that populates the cd racks in HMV year in, year out. IMO, of course.

Brophs

The One and Only
I agree with the rest of the post but that bit is romantic bollocks... when they started out they wanted to make money pure and simple, it drove them to make great music but 'refusing to compromise'? Dont think so, John Lennon denied the existence of his wife and child so as not to put off the young female fans,....

you sells your soul you takes your pay
I was referring to Radiohead there, not the Beatles.

Eyepopper

The trick is to break new ground while maintaining mass appeal, the beatles, the stones, and the beach boys all managed it.

Eyepopper

I agree about radioheads artistic integrity but they dont have the popular mass appeal of the likes of the beatles, stones, beach boys, or dylan.... also to a certain extent they have a huge number of fore runners to draw direct inspiration from whereas the others didnt....

But yeah... I'm locked

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Those are just a few examples. I admire that they have a bit of integrity about the way they go about their business. It doesn't take a lot of bottle to make music, it takes a lot to bow to the pressures of making it more commercial, to make decisions for fiscal reasons only.
But you see when you are a band as successful and established as Radiohead it is easy to make decisions irrespective of money.

Otherwise, you end up like the vast majority of hackneyed shit that populates the cd racks in HMV year in, year out. IMO, of course.
Sadly this has less to do with integrity and more to do with the fact that most musicians simply are not very good. Deal with it.

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
i was lucky enough to grow up with the beatles
there was nothing like them before and certainly nothing since
I remember them virtually from the start as I have two older sisters, and the elder was 12 when Love Me Do started. I remember it quickly got to the point that you couldn't go anywhere without seeing something about the Beatles. Record Shops, High Street Stores, Corner Shops wewre all selling something - posters, chewing gum etc.

I think, if I had have been old enough to rationalise it, that I would have assumed that there's always something that big. There never has been any band, or any other mania to get near it since. But suddenly, they went global after conquering the USA.

Oddly, their popularity seemed to wane slightly as their music got better. More studio work meant better music but no time for concerts.

For what it's worth; my favourite five albums are:

1. White Album 2. Sgt. Pepper 3. Rubber Soul 4. Please Please Me (I believe the closest to a concert of any of their studio albums) 5. With the Beatles (Nostalgia)

I think Abbey Road is too uneven and the last half is so fragmented that it loses a lot.

I bought the Love album and there are some good things on it, e.g. the way that Eleanor Rigby is treated.

Brophs

The One and Only
But you see when you are a band as successful and established as Radiohead it is easy to make decisions irrespective of money.
Is it though? Is that why U2 churn out album after album of shit? Or Oasis keep recording the same old tat, year after year? Seems to me like the rewards for playing it safe are greater the bigger a band you are.

From what I know, Radiohead took that attitude right from the start, long before they were either successful or established.

Sadly this has less to do with integrity and more to do with the fact that most musicians simply are not very good. Deal with it.
Deal with what exactly? My point is that plenty of good bands go by the wayside for the reasons I mentioned. I'd be a fool to argue that there isn't a deluge of dross out there at the moment. But that's another argument about the decline in overall quality of music. If you don't agree, no worries.