The beginning of the end... (the original board vetoed Mourinho's transfer wish list thread)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
"Jose Mourinho was told by Manchester United that the club would only sign a world-class defender of the calibre of Real Madrid’s World Cup winner Raphael Varane rather than compromise with a lesser light, despite the manager’s demands otherwise. United would have paid £100 million for Varane but the World Cup winner was never available and as the options were put to them over the course of a transfer window there were too many good reasons to ignore them."
"United have the money to do big deals. They were prepared to do exactly that to get a top player, which Varane undoubtedly is.
Executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward would not have flinched had Real Madrid told him to write a cheque for £100m for the Frenchman"
"Manager’s short-term fixes rejected by Ed Woodward.
Some targets viewed as no better than those already at club"
"Senior sources at the club claim the lack of activity was not a question of money but value, with few defenders on the market considered an upgrade on Mourinho's current crop. If Raphael Varane was available from Real Madrid for £100m, United would have been prepared to make the 25-year-old the world's most expensive defender."
Thread title is a bit strong. Mourinho looks like he is ready to get on with the actual football now.
Well the media have been briefed, we didn't sign a CB because those above Mourinho didn't like his preferred list of targets, this'll surely be the beginning of the end because we know Jose won't take that lying down and when he gets in a fight with those above him we know it'll only end one way

Everyone feared the third season melt down, I was sure it wouldn't happen as long as the club backed him in the transfer window, they haven't....

Last edited:

Baxter

Don’t know what thread this is worth putting in, so move if necessary.

Taylor is quite reliable, so what do people think of this?

Last edited by a moderator:

MAME DIOUF 32

Hope so. I'd be equally uneasy about handing more money to a manager who's been allowed to spend £65 million on centre backs he doesn't rate and sign the most expensive player in the world at the time and the player on the highest wages in the country without a clear idea of how to play either.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well the media have been briefed, we didn't sign a CB because those above Mourinho didn't like his preferred list of targets, this'll surely be the beginning of the end because we know Jose won't take that lying down and when he gets in a fight with those above him we know it'll only end one way

Everyone feared the third season melt down, I was sure it wouldn't happen as long as the club backed him in the transfer window, they haven't....
Link?

Dr. StrangeHate

The board blindly following the previous managers wishes is what got us into this mess with having so many undesirable players at the club. It is good that the board aren't going for lesser players. We should pay top dollar only for the best.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
At this point I want Jose to go just so everyone will shut up about him

lex talionis

It's too early to reach for the panic button. A side arguably worse on paper than us, Leicester City, won the league a few seasons ago. We're not the favorite to win the league this season but we have every reason to believe we'll be in the hunt. And if fortune really does favor the brave, and if we're brave, we might just get there.

But no, we do not begin the season with the strongest squad. Believe in the club you love.

Infra-red

People with no background in or knowledge of football making the footballing decisions at the club. Herein lies the problem.

Castia

You can see the meltdown coming a mile away, this season is going to be rough.

charlenefan

The board blindly following the previous managers wishes is what got us into this mess with having so many undesirable players at the club. It is good that the board aren't going for lesser players. We should pay top dollar only for the best.
Whilst that's true would you not agree that Jose has targeted a higher calibre of player since he's been here? Pogba, Zlatan, Sanchez? Ok Bailly hasn't hit the heights but that's been more due to injuries than performances, Mhkitaryan was promptly moved on but probably due to necessity to get Sanchez

The board surely know Jose is not Moyes, he's not LVG, he's better than both and we're unlikely to do better if we force him out

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
From their different perspectives, both Woodward (long term value) and Mourinho (short term success) are right about transfer strategy and targets. The clash is inevitable.

I don't think it was wise for Woodward to brief all the papers so transparently though... that's only gonna piss Jose off, especially when he was restrained in the press conference today.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The only interesting sentence I took from that was "United did have significant money available for summer signings". I don't buy that at all. Jose wanted more players and the club is now briefing on why we did not sign one defender.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Just check out the hundreds (exaggerating) of tweets in the twitter thread that's just landed
Found a piece in the Guardian. Mindblowing stuff altogether.

Yet the club have had to balance the manager’s wishes, and the permanent battle to keep him happy, by taking into account Mourinho is notorious for wanting short-term measures, rarely stays too long at any club and does not tend to worry about what happens when he leaves. Their own vision of team-building is considerably different and that is why Woodward is against selling players such as Martial, Paul Pogba and Luke Shaw when they could conceivably be an asset to the club for many years.
THEN WHY DID YOU HIRE THE MISERABLE TWAT, YOU GOGGLE EYED DIPSHIT?!?

*and breath*

Obviously hope it’s all paper talk but why in the hell is Woodward even allowed an opinion on who to sign? Or are there other, actual football people, in the mix here? Sir Bob?!

Devil may care

The message is what I figured it would be, the club want long term for big money, and Jose wants players with a short amount of time left on the clock for immediate gratification, it's like the Martial situation, he wants out and Mourinho wants rid but the club aren't selling him as they see him as a long term investment, most likely beyond a manager whose ideals are clearly juxtaposed to the clubs, the crazy thing is that everyone knows what Mourinho is like so why did they hire him? Oh well, buckle up, hopefully we'll get a new manager more suited to United for Christmas.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Can people just bore off with these apocalyptic threads. Honestly it is getting pathetic now. Do you people not have girlfriends to release your tention on.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
They won't back the next manager either. The board are full of shit.

Shaw Jones Young Smalling Herrera Mata etc all are free agents next season.

Good luck getting the funds to replace them.

Lyng

You can see the meltdown coming a mile away, this season is going to be rough.
Yeah this is the main issue. It doesnt matter if we have Pep, Klopp or whoever as long as the Glazers and Woodward run the ship.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Agree with every bit of it. Having said that, I have no idea why did Ed sanction Lindeloff last year or any other CB who could have been available for 100m.

Using our scouting network could be a good start.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Whilst that's true would you not agree that Jose has targeted a higher calibre of player since he's been here? Pogba, Zlatan, Sanchez? Ok Bailly hasn't hit the heights but that's been more due to injuries than performances, Mhkitaryan was promptly moved on but probably due to necessity to get Sanchez

The board surely know Jose is not Moyes, he's not LVG, he's better than both and we're unlikely to do better if we force him out

Unless we have another manager lined up if Jose walks? I think he needs to do a little better with what he’s got now at this stage. He’s been backed more than any other manager in the league, city’s continuos project aside... their recruitment pre pep has been great ours pre Jose is part of the reason why we are where we are. The team is 2/3 of his signings on staggering wages and we still don’t look like we have a clue how to attack with any belief.... Like stop complaining and coach, innovate and motivate.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Good. Mourinho and the scouts should have found better targets. Sanchez should be the last short term signing we make for quite some time.

Zoo

Get a DoF to take some of the decision making away from Jose and Ed.

swissgenius

The only interesting sentence I took from that was "United did have significant money available for summer signings". I don't buy that at all. Jose wanted more players and the club is now briefing on why we did not sign one defender.
Is it you, Ed?

Witchking

Both Jose and the board are to blame for the mess we currently are in.

A bad result tomorrow will be the beginning of the end, while a result like united dismantling fulham in the first game after the rooney and Ronaldo fracas in 2006 will suddenly bring optimism.

I personally feel that united need to put Leicester to sword and we will have great confidence. Doubt jose would get the team to play that way which is kind of sad.

Zoo

Thread title is a bit strong. Mourinho looks like he is ready to get on with the actual football now.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Yep, I can’t see Mourinho lasting this season out if the club has refused to buy the players he asked for.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
On the whole, I support this approach. We want a RW, Hose was given money to buy one in his first window, whom he then sold in his third. He wants a centre half, he was given money to buy one two years in a row.

The only question is whether the board see Jose as the right fit for this type of approach. A younger more innovative manager may be a better fit for the developmental approach they are trying to take.

charlenefan

The message is what I figured it would be, the club want long term for big money, and Jose wants players with a short amount of time left on the clock for immediate gratification, it's like the Martial situation, he wants out and Mourinho wants rid but the club aren't selling him as they see him as a long term investment, most likely beyond a manager whose ideals are clearly juxtaposed to the clubs, the crazy thing is that everyone knows what Mourinho is like so why did they hire him? Oh well, buckle up, hopefully we'll get a new manager more suited to United for Christmas.
Thing is if the board are wanting to keep the likes of Shaw and Martial at the club because of their age then someone should probably tell them 1 can walk for nothing next summer while the other can walk for nothing the year after that

Minimalist

Wouldn't surprise me if it's true. Could understand them being cautious with Mourinho at this stage of his reign.

That said, a more assertive board would just sack the manager if they were having doubts.

Baxter

I agree with not signing players that might be considered too costly for their profile, however are we going to get to a point of back him or sack him?

The only way this ends is trouble.

ManUArfa

Found a piece in the Guardian. Mindblowing stuff altogether.

THEN WHY DID YOU HIRE THE MISERABLE TWAT, YOU GOGGLE EYED DIPSHIT?!?

*and breath*

Obviously hope it’s all paper talk but why in the hell is Woodward even allowed an opinion on who to sign? Or are there other, actual football people, in the mix here? Sir Bob?!
Ironically due to short-termism

izec

Dont know why we hired him in the first place. It is known he goes for the mature players and short fixes